shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP! Which diamond should we go with??

GreenEyesLovely

Rough_Rock
I am new to this forum (have been a visitor for a while though). We are choosing between two diamonds on blue nile that have competing specs and I don’t know which is the way to go… I’m not sure whether to go for the lower color grade (H) thats slightly larger, has better dimensions, and has a very high clarity (VVS2) OR the higher color grade (E), slightly worse dimensions, slightly smaller, and a lower clarity (VS2). Please share your opinions!!!

Option 1:

Carat weight 2.02
Shape Oval
Cut Very Good
Color H
Clarity VVS2
Length/width ratio 1.42
Depth % 57.6%
Table % 63.0%
Polish Excellent
Symmetry Excellent
Girdle Slightly Thick to Thick
Culet None
Fluorescence None
Measurements 10.29 x 7.27 x 4.19 mm

Option 2:

Carat weight 2.01
Shape Oval
Cut Very Good
Color E
Clarity VS2
Length/width ratio 1.34
Depth % 64.5%
Table % 60.0%
Polish Excellent
Symmetry Very Good
Girdle Slightly Thick to Very Thick
Culet None
Fluorescence Medium
Measurements 9.46 x 7.06 x 4.55 mm

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry but you can never choose a fancy cut diamond without magnified images of the stones. There are nicely cut ovals and badly cut ovals, and great ones are hard to find. The grading report does not give you that information. I'd suggest moving over to James Allen because they have their ovals on video. That is the only way to choose a good one.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The entire purpose of faceting a diamond is to reflect light.
How well or how poorly a diamond does this determines how beautiful it is.
How well a diamond performs is determined by the proportions and the faceting. This is why we say cut is king.
No other factor: not color, not clarity has as much of an impact on the appearance of a diamond as its cut.
With ovals all that matters is the faceting and the performance of the stone. By performance we mean: how well it reflects light because this determines how bright the stone is, how much it sparkles, and how lively it is. And how big it looks. A well performing diamond will always look larger than a diamond with compromised performance, even if the compromised stone has actually larger dimensions. With ovals what you need to determine this is images of the stone. Preferrably a video And finally an ASET scope image.

So what is an ASET scope image and why is it important? http://highperformancediamonds.com/education/performance-tutorial/

Basically an ASET tells you how well the diamond you are evaluating reflects light and where the light is coming from. This matters. .

So that's what you need to focus on.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1464226615|4036336 said:
I am sorry but you can never choose a fancy cut diamond without magnified images of the stones. There are nicely cut ovals and badly cut ovals, and great ones are hard to find. The grading report does not give you that information. I'd suggest moving over to James Allen because they have their ovals on video. That is the only way to choose a good one.

Okay, that is the only way to make the initial selection. Then you get the ASET images as Gypsy said!

RockBrat

Shiny_Rock
Based on numbers alone neither seems to be an ideal choice, however of the 2, the 2nd one is most likely more promising. But as others said you need pictures.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results