shape
carat
color
clarity

Help - What do you think of this antique cut cushion?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
CaratLover2|1335857132|3184625 said:
The thought that I cant have a diamond wedding band and/or diamonds on the band of the e-ring is pretty restricting to me...

I know I'll probably get smacked-down for posting this - as photos aren't the best guide on colour - but I don't see why you cant have a halo/diamond wedding band with an L diamond. While an L will not look white-white, it isn't "yellow" either. Also I don't see any reason to set an L only in yellow gold. If you scroll through this link, on the 2nd page there are additional photos of the ring with a wedding band: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/l-diamond-in-g-h-halo-yes-i-did-it.122866/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/l-diamond-in-g-h-halo-yes-i-did-it.122866/[/URL] As long as you can embrace the vintage feel that the contrast creates, I don't think you should let the L stop you from having the diamond halo/band that you want. I'd embrace the vintage look, the extra size and the savings - but that's just me!

You can have a wedding band! Of course you can! And photos ARE NOT good judges of color. That's why we ALWAYS tell people that's a personal thing and they need to make their own choices.

I was going to set the L I had with H step cuts and those were VERY CLOSE to the L because of the difference in the way the step cuts and the old cuts reflect light. I was also going to have H single cuts and those were also a good match. SO IT CAN BE DONE! I promise.

I think what the posters are trying to say is that FOR SOME PEOPLE they wouldn't want an L with sidestones that show a contrast in color. FOR OTHERS (myself included) the contrast is fine as long as it's either A) purposeful with D and high color sides to show the contrast OR B) larger faceted cuts like baguettes and single cuts in lower colors to match the L.

But you can ABSOLUTELY have a wedding band. Personally I'd pick warm (H ish) french cut wedding band, in an ideal world with a chunky cushion.

CaratLover2

Shiny_Rock
I think what the posters are trying to say is that FOR SOME PEOPLE they wouldn't want an L with sidestones that show a contrast in color. FOR OTHERS (myself included) the contrast is fine as long as it's either A) purposeful with D and high color sides to show the contrast OR B) larger faceted cuts like baguettes and single cuts in lower colors to match the L.

Yes AND FOR YET OTHERS STILL - the contrast from stock standard halo melee that comes with most cast/stock settings is lovely too - even with an L! It's all personal preference. Like you say, some won't consider it at all, some will make it "purposeful"/conditional (with high/low colour sides or colour calibrated faceted side cuts as you suggest) and others will be quite happy with how a well cut L will look in any WG/P Bev K/Gabriel/Tacori etc, etc, halo setting with stock standard G colour melee.

To me, all options are equally beautiful - but the OP just needs to find what THEY are comfortable with.

If the OP is set on a halo with a matching diamond wedding band, and is comfortable with the contrast which will happen when setting an L diamond in a halo setting, regardless of the melee colour, simply due to the way melee reflect light - then that's fantastic. If not, then embracing alternatives to play up/down the colour as you suggest may be an option. However, if the OP is feeling worried about the contrast or feeling limited in setting choice (as it seems the OP is), then maybe the L just isn't the right stone.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
firelover|1335843889|3184565 said:
Gypsy & Dreamer - I was planning to get a hand forged halo. It seems with this stone the halo is totally out or As Dreamer suggested maybe a Tacori halo...but in general I am not a big fan of Tacori settings -- there is too much detail and that too IMHO not done well :( .Maybe I haven't seen too many. Dreamer suggested a tacori halo..any pics of that? On one hand I like AVC's but on the other hand I don't like too antiquey settings. Some examples of what I like is HW halo, LM setting with inverted diamonds on the band with milgrain (just like MissDebbys) ...maybe I need to look more into settings...I will do so..meanwhile if you guys see anything that has some antique elements but not much please please post pics here...I really really appreciate any help.

Don't take my comment so literally 8) I just meant an antique style mount with diamonds would look good *in my opinion* as the contrast would look vintage and antiquey. Tacori are just a well known example of antiquey style mounts. There are many others.

I would not put a tinted stone in YG unless you want YG. You can put it in plat, why not?

I think warm diamonds are something you must embrace and love for their own merits. You cannot convince yourself you like them. You loved this one is person.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you should buy the L cushion and have it set in the least expensive solitaire GOG offers. Take it home and wear it for a week or two and see how you feel about the color accross all different lighitng conditions.

That said if the price difference from the H is only $1000... that is not very much in the grand scheme. Did the L *look* bigger in person?

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1335881779|3184748 said:
I think you should buy the L cushion and have it set in the least expensive solitaire GOG offers. Take it home and wear it for a week or two and see how you feel about the color accross all different lighitng conditions.

That said if the price difference from the H is only $1000... that is not very much in the grand scheme. Did the L *look* bigger in person?

This is great advice, although I would definitely take a look at the JA K stone first. The faceting is really lovely and it's a great price/size point and perhaps a balance in color between warm and icey.

Can anyone find the thread with the M colored AVC and the M color french cut sidestones? It's gorgeous and warm and might given an idea of what warm sidestones would look like. JBEG has lots of pics of warm center diamonds with whiter halos.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
CaratLover2|1335888221|3184812 said:
Can anyone find the thread with the M colored AVC and the M color french cut sidestones? It's gorgeous and warm and might given an idea of what warm sidestones would look like

Try [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/feel-the-warmth-leon-mege-calibrated-french-cuts-avc.155906/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/feel-the-warmth-leon-mege-calibrated-french-cuts-avc.155906/[/URL]

Yup, that's the one. Lovely ring.

CaratLover2

Shiny_Rock
firelover|1335797680|3183993 said:
I am having doubts..I am worried that every ring (the wedding band) everything has to be in that color grade..isnt it? or that with better stones in the wedding ring it will look yellower because of the contrast
what if I see the yellow when it gets home...Am I crazy? What should I do? Is it just mind game ?

Again, I'll probably get in trouble for posting a photo - but I don't care - did you see this? A beautiful N AVC in a halo - http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150794582754449&set=a.487262959448.260832.123076079448&type=1&theater

ZahraLeyla

Shiny_Rock
CaratLover2|1335941818|3185506 said:
I am having doubts..I am worried that every ring (the wedding band) everything has to be in that color grade..isnt it? or that with better stones in the wedding ring it will look yellower because of the contrast
what if I see the yellow when it gets home...Am I crazy? What should I do? Is it just mind game ?

Again, I'll probably get in trouble for posting a photo - but I don't care - did you see this? A beautiful N AVC in a halo - http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150794582754449&set=a.487262959448.260832.123076079448&type=1&theater

Further to this, my GIA graded O/P Old Mine Brilliant is in a halo, and no one has ever commented on the colour. Given that the general consensus on diamonds where I live is that D is good, and anything lower is bad, one would expect comments about colour to be prevalent. But nope, nothing. The OMB doesn't look dark or tinted or unattractive at all in the setting.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
ZahraLeyla|1335942446|3185510 said:

Further to this, my GIA graded O/P Old Mine Brilliant is in a halo, and no one has ever commented on the colour. Given that the general consensus on diamonds where I live is that D is good, and anything lower is bad, one would expect comments about colour to be prevalent. But nope, nothing. The OMB doesn't look dark or tinted or unattractive at all in the setting.

I don't think anyone is implying that *other people* will comment on an L color stone in a halo. On my part, it is more about my own preferences, which the OP sought to learn.

FWIW my opinion about halos and tinted stones for my own wear changes somewhere in the NOP range. With a stone that color I would halo it and enjoy the contrast. Personally.

firelover

Rough_Rock
ZahraLeyla|1335942446|3185510 said:

Do you have a picture?

firelover

Rough_Rock

Yup, I have seen that. John sent me that..this is his wife's halo... :love: But let me attach another photo and you will see why I am a little uncertain...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/goodoldgold/7133246929/in/photostream/

firelover

Rough_Rock

Also, CaratLover2..I saw on the forum that you were too looking at warm colored stone..what did you end up with? Do you have a link or pictures? :lickout:

firelover

Rough_Rock
Laila619|1335823451|3184331 said:
ariel, maybe the price is just too high because of the IF clarity grade? I know stones with really high clarity are priced more expensive. Still, I can't believe someone hasn't snapped it up either!

Laila and Ariel - I did contact JA to get the ASET image and get the gemologist's opinion...

Grypsy, Dreamer and all you - please comment on what you think about this one...

Here is what the gemologist said

"I'm happy to tell you that this diamond is exceptionally bright and has great fire, brilliance, and scintillation. It has a rather round outline and a higher "K" color. This is a gorgeous cushion cut that will give you a fantastic sparkle and look beautiful mounted in any setting. I recommend it highly for your purchase and believe you'll be very happy with it when you see it for yourself. "

Now for the ASET's

1471593aset.bmp.jpg

1471593aset.jpg

firelover

Rough_Rock
Dreamer_D|1335881426|3184745 said:
firelover|1335843889|3184565 said:
Gypsy & Dreamer - I was planning to get a hand forged halo. It seems with this stone the halo is totally out or As Dreamer suggested maybe a Tacori halo...but in general I am not a big fan of Tacori settings -- there is too much detail and that too IMHO not done well :( .Maybe I haven't seen too many. Dreamer suggested a tacori halo..any pics of that? On one hand I like AVC's but on the other hand I don't like too antiquey settings. Some examples of what I like is HW halo, LM setting with inverted diamonds on the band with milgrain (just like MissDebbys) ...maybe I need to look more into settings...I will do so..meanwhile if you guys see anything that has some antique elements but not much please please post pics here...I really really appreciate any help.

Don't take my comment so literally 8) I just meant an antique style mount with diamonds would look good *in my opinion* as the contrast would look vintage and antiquey. Tacori are just a well known example of antiquey style mounts. There are many others.

I would not put a tinted stone in YG unless you want YG. You can put it in plat, why not?

I think warm diamonds are something you must embrace and love for their own merits. You cannot convince yourself you like them. You loved this one is person.

Dreamer - Can you point me towards some mounts that not Tacori that are vintagy and antiquey.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
But there is a huge difference, IMO, between an L AVC, and an N AVC. Actually, I think there's a huge difference between an M and and an N. Here is my L in a yellow gold Van Craeynest setting. The color in the stone is reflection from the walls (which are sage green)and the flowers.

IMG_0096.jpg

The AVC is also a little smudge-y (enters PS Hall of Shame).

I'm following your thread with interest because I'm considering resetting the AVC in a halo and using the VC setting for a 3ct Tsavorite, so I'll be interested to see what you decide. You've gotten some very good advice, so I think it boils down to actually looking at the diamonds to see how you feel about the different color grades.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
firelover|1336054718|3186555 said:

Yup, I have seen that. John sent me that..this is his wife's halo... :love: But let me attach another photo and you will see why I am a little uncertain...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/goodoldgold/7133246929/in/photostream/

Hi firelover,

That particular picture is edited and the contrast boosted making the diamond look warmer (more like O/P).

firelover

Rough_Rock
Hi Jon,

:oops: Thanks for the clearing that up!! :wavey:

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My pleasure dear. ::)

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
firelover, the K looks beautiful! It's a very nice ASET. What are you thinking about it?

CaratLover2

Shiny_Rock
firelover|1336054798|3186556 said:

Also, CaratLover2..I saw on the forum that you were too looking at warm colored stone..what did you end up with? Do you have a link or pictures? :lickout:

Firelover - I've tried to not pass my personal opinion here, but rather have just tried to give you as much information as what I could find, to help you work out what side you are on - rather than telling you what I would do - but seeing how you've asked, I'll let you know what I'm up to. I mentioned in another thread that I joined PS to upgrade my e-ring, but when I saw the AVC just fell in love, and had to have one! I really, really wanted a halo too, but chose size over colour and bought this - http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/9208/ - because the purchase price of this stone was less ... yes, hard to believe, but its true ... yes, less ... than purchasing at 1.25 F VS2 PC in Australia - which is what I was intending to upgrade my stone to! The thought of owning a 2ct+ stone, let alone an L, let alone a cushion, let alone a stone with any kind of light performance, never occurred to me before joining PS - and so when this came up, my husband let me buy it. You'll see I'm still trying to work out what to do with my e-ring, because a full upgrade has now been put off for at least the next 3 years because of this purchase! Still, it's very sweet of my DH, and I am soooo excited about my new RHR!

Like I said, I really, really wanted a halo too - hence the interest in your post - but, basically because the weight of popular opinion on this site, and my own personal fear of what others might think about the colour/contrast, I didn't do it. I'm not saying I regret it, but it's likely I will still look at the ring every now and then and think - boy, I wish I had put this in a halo! That's not to say I'm going to be unhappy - I am, after all, getting colour calibrated french cuts - (probably J/K but not sure about that yet, in unplated WG - hopefully it will look "creamy" overall) - as I fell in love with french cuts too! I thought I might as well go the whole hog and really ham it up so to speak! You definitely can't get AVC's or french cuts in Oz!! I am sooo excited! Have I said that already?!

It seems to me that popular opinion indicates that anything J or higher or N or lower is fine to put in a halo with F/G melee. That just leaves a grey area of K/L/M - which, on reflection, I think isn't really valid/necessary distinction (IMHO). Yes, there will be colour, but with a vintage cut, does it really matter? Does it make it any less beautiful? What I'd say to you is this, you must be comfortable, and if a halo makes your lil heart sing, then put it in a halo. Don't worry about what other's think. Take what others say on board, yes, but evaluate their opinions for yourself, and don't be swayed! After all, you did say you put the stone in a halo at the store and didn't find the contrast bothersome at the time.

The colour showing in the AVC in the 2nd picture you posted - to me, is beautiful - I see beauty, not colour, although it clearly does have colour (and I now see the photo has been edited to enhance it's colour anyway) - Oh, and here's something else that I hope makes you feel good! An M AVR in a YG Tacori - http://vimeo.com/9505357 posted about here [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-gog-av-oec-round-3.137676/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-gog-av-oec-round-3.137676/[/URL] - It's got me seriously considering an small M AVR as an interim to e-ring upgrade!!

I know if you ask 100 people, you'll get 100 different answers - and all valid justifications for why they feel a certain way about certain coloured stones, putting certain stones with YG/WG, certain setting requirements ie halo/step cuts, etc, etc. We all have our opinions. This is mine - for what it's worth! Good luck hun ... I really, really wish you all the best and I can't wait to see what you do!

CaratLover2

Shiny_Rock
Aoife|1336055586|3186565 said:
The AVC is also a little smudge-y (enters PS Hall of Shame)

Looks stunning-y to me!!

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
firelover|1336055057|3186560 said:
Laila619|1335823451|3184331 said:
ariel, maybe the price is just too high because of the IF clarity grade? I know stones with really high clarity are priced more expensive. Still, I can't believe someone hasn't snapped it up either!

Laila and Ariel - I did contact JA to get the ASET image and get the gemologist's opinion...

Grypsy, Dreamer and all you - please comment on what you think about this one...

Here is what the gemologist said

"I'm happy to tell you that this diamond is exceptionally bright and has great fire, brilliance, and scintillation. It has a rather round outline and a higher "K" color. This is a gorgeous cushion cut that will give you a fantastic sparkle and look beautiful mounted in any setting. I recommend it highly for your purchase and believe you'll be very happy with it when you see it for yourself. "

Now for the ASET's

AWESOME! I knew it! Been recommending this stone over and over on PS but no takers. When my funds come in I was planning on buying it myself BUT I can afford a much larger stone so ....on the other hand felt I should leave it for some lucky girl who was on a budget but wanted a great stone that faced up large for the price and weight.

Been dying to see the ASET...thanks for posting. Maybe it is THE one for you,....set in a more square shaped halo would be the best of both worlds. Saw a GIA K princess cut (2c.) several years ago and it was beautiful...just out of my price range back then...didn't face up as big as this 1.66c cushion though. Interesting.

firelover

Rough_Rock
Hmm...There is definately more red than green but then around the periphery of the table, there is leakage..I need experts opinions her...

Gypsy, Dreamer - What do you all think?

Meanwhile, I have asked JA whether I could see the diamond in person..

gemshow

Rough_Rock
Premium
Firelover, which stones are still in the running?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry for the delay. I was busy discovering that I actually do think a privately managed post office would be better than what we have now ( AKA: I hate my post man).

I think it's beautiful. I really do. K is white enough for me-- and the 'higher K" comment means that it faces very white. My biggest hesitation is that has a very round outline and you were looking at very square ones before. From your last post I take it that you have it called in to the NY James Allen show room and see it in person? If that doesn't work out... order it. They have a FABULOUS return policy if you don't love it. And really having it at home you can see how it looks in all kinds of light and conditions. Actually now that I think about it, at that price unless I lived in NY I would buy it and see what I think for a few days.

The price, ASET, contrast pattern and faceting are just great. If it worked out for you then I can't see a downside to this stone at all.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results