shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Was this a terrible purchase?!

Kohkoh1

Rough_Rock
Hi!
We purchased a 2.09 ct stone with an EGL International certification from 2014. All blogs state that EGL is known for grading 2 levels up on their stones. We don’t know much about diamonds but we don’t want to feel like we’ve been taken. Please look at the photos and tell me if you think we got what we paid for. Thanks! CB759948-9609-4FCB-AEEE-8589E80EE421.jpeg F8884E6A-DDF2-4DD6-824A-C023ADC188E7.jpeg 209D8202-0923-47F2-A280-0E4953BE72B0.jpeg A083A023-030E-4C78-845E-2C9AF3381885.jpeg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would suggest that you have the diamond appraised by a reputable appraiser. There is no way for anyone to be able to give you an accurate answer based solely on these pictures. You would need to know if the stats match the stone and if the price paid is fair.

The cut stats on the stone are not on par with what would be recommended here. Are you still within a return period on the stone?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Two questions:

What did you pay for it, and -

Do YOU like the look of it?

It's impossible to tell if you paid a fair price without knowing what you paid. By EGL standards, you probably did get what the certificate says. But would your stone get those same gradings if graded by a stricter lab with higher standards? Obviously not. So the questions remain - what did you pay for it, and do YOU like it?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
EGL USA is known to be one to two grades out in colour and one to two in clarity. The bad news is EGL in other places (International places) are notorious for being 2 to 6 grades out in colour, and 2 to 3 out or wrong in clarity. When you compare them apples to apples with GIA diamonds they aren't cheaper they are just misleading or tricking the customer into believing they have a better diamond than they actually really do. If I was guessing I'd say it's a GIA K (give or take one way or the other so it could also be a J or an L) and an I1 in clarity.

Kohkoh1

Rough_Rock
I would suggest that you have the diamond appraised by a reputable appraiser. There is no way for anyone to be able to give you an accurate answer based solely on these pictures. You would need to know if the stats match the stone and if the price paid is fair.

The cut stats on the stone are not on par with what would be recommended here. Are you still within a return period on the stone?

It’s honestly a gorgeous stone in person. The jeweler told me I could return it at anytime if I’m unhappy and I do plan on having an appraisal done today.

Kohkoh1

Rough_Rock
Two questions:

What did you pay for it, and -

Do YOU like the look of it?

It's impossible to tell if you paid a fair price without knowing what you paid. By EGL standards, you probably did get what the certificate says. But would your stone get those same gradings if graded by a stricter lab with higher standards? Obviously not. So the questions remain - what did you pay for it, and do YOU like it?

I love it! We traded in a 1.27 uncertified L VS2 and paid an additional $6250 for the current stone which included iridium dipping the existing band set and to set the stone.

Kohkoh1

Rough_Rock
EGL USA is known to be one to two grades out in colour and one to two in clarity. The bad news is EGL in other places (International places) are notorious for being 2 to 6 grades out in colour, and 2 to 3 out or wrong in clarity. When you compare them apples to apples with GIA diamonds they aren't cheaper they are just misleading or tricking the customer into believing they have a better diamond than they actually really do. If I was guessing I'd say it's a GIA K (give or take one way or the other so it could also be a J or an L) and an I1 in clarity.

The stone we traded in was uncertified but appraised as an L VS2 1.27. To see this current stone and my old stone together is like night and day.

The jeweler we purchased from has been open in our city for 30 years with excellent reviews. I’m not so much concerned with the grading as much as I’m concerned that we paid a fair price but I know they go hand in hand.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results