shape
carat
color
clarity

Help wanted: finding a Sapphire e-ring so I can propose :-)

skingsland

Shiny_Rock
Re: Help wanted: finding a Sapphire e-ring so I can propose

Thanks everyone!! I just received it in the mail yesterday, and so far I've only had the chance to see it in indoor lighting.

My first impression is that it looks nice, is a good color, and sparkles with flashes of light (and occasionally other colors of the rainbow) kind of like how a diamond does, but less so. When I first look at it, it doesn't seem that lively; just looks like a normal blue sapphire, and in fact most of it is dark (to my eye). But then when I look straight down on it, under the light, I get a view of all the facets in it, that more closely matches what the camera catches. Then when I move it around the room, it gives off sparkles of light. I like it, but I think I'm going to have to see it in natural light, and maybe set with diamonds, before it really blows me away. Still, my gut tells me that this is what I had in mind, when I started off looking for a blue sapphire e-ring. :)

Anyway, here is the best photo I've taken of it so far:

IMG_0168_cropped.jpg

I'm going to start a new thread (which I'll link to from here), with more photos and some pictures of settings that I like, to get some ideas on what kind of setting might be best for it. I went to a jewelry store over the weekend and spent a few hours looking at settings, so I've got some ideas to start with.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock

It looks lovely! Can't wait to see more pictures.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think it will look fantastic in diamonds. Sapphires are difficult stones, either the color is wrong, or they are extinct, or heated. I had mixed feelings about my JW sapphire first, but my jeweler absolutely loved it and I think it will look great in diamonds.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sapphires look their best outdoors so you know it’s not going to look worse that what you saw last night. Not only that, once set in a ring and worn, it will rarely be static. Hands are often in motion so you will see more scintillation and flashes. I’m looking forward to more pictures and your opinion of the daylight appearance.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

I think it looks great. Sapphs do often look darker indoors, so don't be discouraged.

I think sapphs looks great with colorless diamonds to highlight the contast. To me, pave is not enough of the white diamond to really highlight the sapphs color. I would pair it either with smaller RBs (say .30ct) or with pears that are in the F/G color range. It would look killer!

vinkalmann

Shiny_Rock

Chrono said:
Sapphires look their best outdoors so you know it’s not going to look worse that what you saw last night. Not only that, once set in a ring and worn, it will rarely be static. Hands are often in motion so you will see more scintillation and flashes. I’m looking forward to more pictures and your opinion of the daylight appearance.

Definitely +1 on this one. When I first got my wife's stone I was like "That's it!?". I was looking at it inside and it wasn't that impressive. Once I took it outside the thing glowed. I also found that the stone came alive after it was set. I'm not sure whether it was more light being reflected back from the setting or what, but it made a difference.

You'll also find that other lighting does other things. Florescent lights bring out purple sparkles in my stone that don't happen outside in natural light.

In dimmer lights neither of the stones really do much at all.

Take that sucker out in natural light and see what it does. Don't take it out of the box though ;-)

skingsland

Shiny_Rock

Chrono|1288181734|2748037 said:
I’m looking forward to more pictures and your opinion of the daylight appearance.

Just a heads up, I posted some daylight pictures, and some thoughts and pics for a setting, in this new thread:

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...find-the-perfect-setting.151890/#post-2756912

I think the sapphire looks great! It's really hard, with my inexperienced level of photography, to take photos which do it justice. Does it completely bowl me over when I see it outside, with butterflies in my stomach that it's 100% perfect in every way? No. But after such a long search, my standards may have gotten a bit too high... :)

Bottom line is, I really like the gem, I think it will look great in a ring, and I can't wait to get this thing over with and propose!! :) Thanks again to everyone on here who offered suggestions and help in finding the best sapphire for me. Now I just need a setting...

-Steve

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results