shape
carat
color
clarity

Help wanted: finding a Sapphire e-ring so I can propose :-)

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Re: Help wanted: finding a Sapphire e-ring so I can propose

Chrono said:
AJJ,
I understand exactly what you meant; I just don’t want any lurkers to think that recutting is a simple/straightforward process that will always produce a better end result. I did have the experience of Jeff recutting a pair of native cut blue spinels which didn’t turn out as expected (he sourced the stones) but he was extremely gracious about the whole affair and settled it to both our satisfaction. His recut of my native cut pink spinel, however, was nothing short of perfection. Everything turned out great and as expected.

Hey C,
sorry just saw this now - got it lovey ;)) I'm glad your experiences worked out well, even if the stones didn't.
Now, are there photos of this pink spinel, hrmmm..?

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock

Can you have Jeff take a hand shot of 2 stones that have the 2 different cut patterns? Even if they're not blue sapphires, I have a hard time telling the difference when the photo is so close up to the stone. I suspect it's sort of like with the concave stone, you could tell a difference close up, but from further away there wasn't much going on. With a shot from further away you might be able to tell if one cut appeals to you more.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock

AustenNut said:
Can you have Jeff take a hand shot of 2 stones that have the 2 different cut patterns? Even if they're not blue sapphires, I have a hard time telling the difference when the photo is so close up to the stone. I suspect it's sort of like with the concave stone, you could tell a difference close up, but from further away there wasn't much going on. With a shot from further away you might be able to tell if one cut appeals to you more.

I don't think Jeff has those stones anymore? The double pavilion sapphire looks a lot like Tropicmaster's sapphire shown here. Stever, this might help you get a sense of what that cut will look like on the hand - additionally, here is Mrs. Tropicmaster's thread after that sapphire was set - thread. Trying to find one of a JW regular RB cut sapphire....

ETA: Personally, I prefer the regular RB cut. The extra pavilion facets makes the cutting look a bit like a Portuguese cut for me, and I really dislike Portuguese cuts. But, of course, that's my own opinion :razz:

ETA2: Is Stepcutgirl's JW sapphire a round brilliant cut? If so, here's her thread with her finished ring - I think the looks of the two stones can be very different and it might really just be a personal preference issue here. link

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The first is the “traditional” look and the second a busier appearance. Since the RI of a sapphire isn’t that high (compared to garnets and some other gemstone varieties), I feel that the “traditional” style is better suited for an e-ring as it will showcase the colour extremely well. However, this, is purely a personal choice as well. I also think that the busier style is better suited to a larger stone so that one can appreciate the very small facets better.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Chrono said:
The first is the “traditional” look and the second a busier appearance. Since the RI of a sapphire isn’t that high (compared to garnets and some other gemstone varieties), I feel that the “traditional” style is better suited for an e-ring as it will showcase the colour extremely well. However, this, is purely a personal choice as well. I also think that the busier style is better suited to a larger stone so that one can appreciate the very small facets better.

This is my feeling too.

SB621

Ideal_Rock

Dreamer_D said:
Chrono said:

This is my feeling too.

+1 on this. Personally with a sapphire it is so traditional and classic for me that I would go with the first style.

skingsland

Shiny_Rock

Just wanted to say, thanks to everyone for your thoughts and opinions. After some consideration, I decided to go with the round brilliant cut. Jeff should have it finished in the next couple of days, and then I'll have to figure out next steps. (Have him send it out for AGTA cert & appraisal? Send it to me for inspection, since I can still get 85% of my deposit back if I don't like it? Or have it sent straight to a jeweler to be set?)

To be completely honest, I liked the look of both cuts. I do have to say, though, B.E.G. -- your links to Tropicmaster's and Stepcutgirl's finished sapphires were VERY helpful for me, to get a sense of what both would look like when finished. Thanks!! After much thought, I finally concluded that Jeff's RB cut is what I fell in love with to begin with, when I was looking at gems; there's a reason that most of my sample gems that I started with are Jeff's Round Brilliants. Worst case, I think I'd love either one, and I'm sure my girlfriend would too. :D

So... next up: The Setting!!! I'll post some ideas back to this thread after I've gathered some examples of what I'm looking for. (Or should I start a new thread at this point?)

And of course, I'll post whatever photos Jeff sends me when he's done cutting.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock

Yay! Glad you decided, and I'm happy I was able to help! I think the RB Jeff White sapphire will look FANTASTIC. I can't wait to see pictures once Jeff is done.

I'd start a new thread once you have it and start looking at settings. What style of setting are you thinking?

kelpie

Ideal_Rock

I also want to recommend hunt country jewelers again for setting sapphires too if you want a DC area shop to do it since they specialize in colored stones which a lot of bench jewelers tend to over-manhandle. All their work is custom. I'm not affiliated, just very pleased with the work they've done.

SB621

Ideal_Rock

Horray for another beautiful JW sapphire! What direction are gyou going in for settings? If you have budget for it I love the Harry Winston inspired halos. Maytel, ERD, and JbEG all do BEAUTIFUL versions of it. I swooon at the though of that with a RB sapphire.

vinkalmann

Shiny_Rock

If you have any interest is having a cert for the stone, I would recommend getting it done before it's sent to you. I say that based on once you get the stone, having it set and then giving it to your fiance, she's not going to want to give it back to be sent to the lab.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Congrats on finding the right stone for you; you’ve done your homework and all you’ve left is to see the fruits of your hard work. :appl: My suggestion is to see the stone in person first to be doubly sure this is IT! This way, it won’t come as a surprise once the stone is set and your avenue to a return/refund is still open. If all is good, then send it out to AGL. I much prefer AGL over AGTA, GIA and the other labs as they also rate the quality. The third step is to have the stone set.

skingsland

Shiny_Rock

Here is my Round Brilliant cut sapphire from Jeff White, in natural light:

natural%20after.jpg

The vitals are: 1.67 ct. and 6.4 mm in diameter. From Jeff: "Clarity is exceptional, with just a tiny inclusion or two confined to the girdle area."

That's the only pic he sent, although he did mention that his camera died on him. Anyway, do you think should I ask him for more photos, in different lighting, closer up, etc.? Or just have him send it to me so I can inspect it?

I'll think look at it in person first, before I get it certified and/or appraised.

I'll start a new thread once I get to take my own photos, and throw out some ideas for settings. I know I want a platinum band, with some accent diamonds (like solitaires or trillians, and maybe pave), but I'm not crazy about halos. The stone was a lot less than I thought it would cost, so I've got room to splurge on the setting (and proposal ;)) ).

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gorgeous sapphire!

I vote to just see it in person. :)

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock

WOW that is GORGEOUS. I think you made the right call in going with the RB cut - it looks stunning :) Might as well ask for more pics and take a look, and then you can decide if you want to just buy it or have him send it to you to inspect in person.

I think the sapphire will look great in pretty much any setting, but I'm loving the idea of pear diamond sides for a three-stone, or a shared prong (diamond band) solitaire.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

personally I wouldnt bother with more pics as it may take another day or two-plus, you already know what the cut looks like close up from SCG's thread. Jeff's shots are very true to life, so based on that photo I very much doubt you will be disappointed,the colour is lovely!. Like your ideas for a setting (I would consider trillions, pears or another accent diamond shape -preferably not rounds),sounds like it will be classic and very pretty!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock

It's beautiful! How will you set it?

BoulderGal

Brilliant_Rock

Wow Steve! That's going to be one GORGEOUS ring! :love: Congratulations to you and your lucky lady!

BG

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock

Just don't drop this one! ;-)

Seriously though, it's gorgeous! This one is immediately going in my obsessive-compulsive engagement ring folder. It's exactly what I'd want :)

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock

Pretty!!
Sidestones would be nice, but so would a halo. Whatever her personal preference is would be the deciding factor if I were in your position.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

Really beautiful stone. You have done well.

vinkalmann

Shiny_Rock

Score! That stone looks great!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock

What about pear or round sidetones?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Don’t waste the time and effort on more pictures because nothing beats seeing it yourself in person. Take a look at it and check it out under various lighting conditions.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I like it!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock

What a beauty, it's going to make the most wonderful engagement ring.

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock

Gorgeous!

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock

Wow! I like that.

LisaLou

Rough_Rock

It's beautiful! Can't wait to see the finished product!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

WOWOWOWOW! That is a GORGEOUS stone! Congrats!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results