shape
carat
color
clarity

Help - Urgent...help me choose - under time constraints

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't worry too much about the Good symmetry rating, with your naked eye you can probably only see Good/VG anyway...Excellent is more of a nice to have on paper. My stone is a Good and it is awesome!
2.gif

Culet does not mean anything, as it is very small. I would worry if it was over 1.5% but maybe not even then. Under 1% is average and may be noted as 'none' or 'very small' on a report. The HCA does not penalize for anything under 1% I think..maybe 1.5%.

Also do not worry about the fact that the crown and pavilions have 'ranges' of numbers..that is normal, the number given in the end (e.g. pav angle of 40.
4.gif
is the average and is the best way to represent all the numbers to you.

2.6 on the HCA is better than the original stone which had 3.9! Would ask you this. When you got the original stone, before you had it appraised, what were your initial thoughts? Did you think, wow this thing sparkles immensely but looks a little yellow? Or were you thinking, hmm this looks a little dull and looks yellow too? If you were thinking the stone looked pretty hot before you got it appraised, and it was a 3.9 with not-necessarily-ideal characteristics, then this 2.6 stone will probably look just as good if not better to you! My stone scores a 2.3 on the HCA and its a show-stopper, I have gotten so many compliments. Again, the HCA is a preference tool, it's really about how much weight people prefer to give it. HCA also assumes that the stones are very symmetrical with very good polish. That isn't always the case so your stone may cause the score to veer a little to the lower or higher depending on its variables. I like using the HCA to weed out the obvious baddies (e.g. 4+), but as I have learned from viewing my stone in person, even a stone in the 2 range can still be stunning. (2.6 is still 'very good!')

The price is inline with what your other stone was and this one is a VS2, a definite upgrade in clarity and normally in price as well. All in all I think this sounds very promising--esp that they are willing to give you this better sounding stone for the same $$ due to the original mishap. I would suggest having UD send the diamond to RockDoc or Dave or one of the other appraisers on here who will run tests on it and determine whether or not it's the stone it says it is. UD *should* agree to do this BEFORE you pay the money for the stone, esp in light of the other stone not being what it was touted to be. I would have them send the stone to an appraiser, have it tested, if the appraiser says 'go' then you can pay for the stone and the appraiser can send it directly to you with your reporting. The appraisal fees will cost a bit (maybe $300?) but in light of your first experience I would highly recommend the few extra bucks to be sure you aren't wasting your time again with this stone.

Whew...okay I will stop now. Hope this is what you were looking for!
1.gif
GOOD LUCK!!

cartetg

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 2/4/2003 4:55:53 PM photogold wrote:

A quick search on pricescope about this one?

http://www.virtcert.com/cgi/u/1012/v.cgi?stock=1102954&_s=1012&_p=sdf348gd743&_c=&_fs=1&prestock=

1.48ct., I color, SI1 clarity, AGS 0 ideal cut Hearts and Arrows! $6017 through pricescope!

That will leave you enough extra money to buy a beautiful platinum ring.

If you go above the magic number of 1.5 ct. you will be paying dearly. No matter how big a diamond you buy, somebody will always have a bigger one. But if you get an ideal cut, nobody will have a more beautiful one. Good luck

Wow, I just noticed that it is likely the same diamond you listed as your choice #1. This price is through UScerted diamonds
----------------
this stone is the same one I noted at the beginning of the thread that the vendor wouldn't offer return terms on. It is a Israeli cutter that apparently few dealers here in the U.S. have relationships with because of the cutter's reluctance to offer return terms. It was my second choice but no one could get it for me with return terms. I talked to Tony at USA certed and he said he couldn't get the diamond...forgot the name of the cutter Mondo or something?....

cartetg

Rough_Rock
Mara thanks for the reply. I am headed to Atlanta tomorrow and will return the first stone 1.56I-SI1 and "hopefully" like this 1.52. I'm giving up about .1 mm but I don't think that will make a lot of difference, plus getting a very clean VS2. The 1.48I-SI1 I mentioned in the beginning would have been good...only $6300 or so and it was about 7.28mm, where this one is 7.39mm wide...I guess big enough to see.

Looking the Sarin report on the 1.56, this 1.52 is a lot better as far as the range of the measurements. They are a lot tighter.

We'll see tomorrow

148SI1-I.gif

cartetg

Rough_Rock
Forgot to say - this is the AGS from the 1.48 from the beginning of the post.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
If USA CertEd can't get the 1.48c diamond for you..why was it showing up at all on the Pricescope search? They should de-list it from their listing of stones to get if they can't get it!

Also something else you said caught my attn and led me to this thought; on that same stone that no one wants to offer a return policy on....if you are working through a store such as USAC or WhiteFlash etc...if you buy the diamond from them wouldn't they be REQUIRED to give you a return policy such as the one they legally use? Can they legally say...oh sorry but not on this stone?? It seems weird that no one can get this stone, but if they can, they can't give you a return policy? Don't they back up their items??

Strange...good luck with the new 1.52. The 1.48 sounded cool but with all those weird vibes around it I think its good you steered clear. Too tricky.

cartetg

Rough_Rock
Mara-

I went over to Atlanta on Friday and picked up the new stone...it was great! It was a very clean VS2 - the only characteristics I could pick out were on the edge of the girdle and even they were hard to see. I put the stone on a Hearts and Arrows viewer and it looked good, as well as through my idealscope. My only minor issue was the variation in crown angle was a little more than I would like (34 - 35 degrees), but the stone performed when viewing it in person. I decided to take it and I'm having it appraised next week...but before an appraisal I have to say I'm pretty happy to get a well cut, 1.52, I, VS2 for $7500.

Thanks again for the advice...I'll let folks know what it appraises for.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats!! The stone sounds wonderful and the pricing is SUPERB as you well know. Hopefully it checks out at the appraiser but if all looks well to your eyes and with the scopes then it sounds like you have a winner. Let us know how it turns out and post pix if you can!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results