shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Trying to Cancel A Diamond District Purchase

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

brendaman

Shiny_Rock
Hi Everyone! I haven''t posted in a while about my search for a sapphire e-ring. We finally went to the Diamond District in NYC. Went to Elize Diamonds/Roman Malokov (the two stores are connected). They had found a heated sapphire for me from their vault after showing me about 10 stones (heated and nonheated). I called my FF who rushed over after his day-long business convention/conference at the Javits Convention Center. Before I knew it, I was asked to step out of the store and my FF said, "you have an engagement ring". After the elation and the drive back to the DC area, I innocently asked if the ring were platinum (they were having it custom-made). Unfortunately, the receipt stated white gold.

FF is now trying to cancel the order as it would cost $200-300 more for platinum. We''re not novices in purchasing as we''ve been at it for 5 months trying to find the right sapphire. I think my FF was just tired and the price was several thousand under his budget. The quality of the store''s work was quite good, but now he''s very uncomfortable with this rapid purchase and would like a more detailed sales slip for the purchase (they didn''t even specify the quality of the diamonds as they should). The sales slip does say "All Sales Final", but the company has not yet processed the sale to the credit card (we''ve already called them)

We just wrote an email to the company stating that we would still like to purchase from them, but would like more details to the sales agreement and we would be back in a few months. We even said we''d like to purchase the wedding bands and other things from them as they were actually recommended by a friend who are long-term customers.

I''m feeling quesy about this as I think FF felt pressure to buy it, because he wanted me to feel happy, and quite frankly, I''m not happy at this wham-bam purchase and then to find out we had sketchy details on what the ring would be and then to find out it would not be in platinum. What would you have done?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Brendaman,
I am so sorry about your second thoughts about this ring. I would try to void the sale if you're not 100% happy. However, is it out of the question for you to upgrade to platinum if need be? If they don't void the sale, would they be willing to work with you and give you everything in writing? Did you call the credit card company to see what they would advise?

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Brendaman,
Were I the seller I''d do everything in my power to make you a happy and satisfied customer. But not all retailers see things the same way so proceed with care: 47th St. can be caveat emptor territory. I believe visiting or calling the jeweler directly with your concerns would be the first and best thing to do. Explain your concerns calmly and see if you can do the upgrade to platinum you desire.

Be aware that New York apparently doesn''t have a "Buyer''s Remorse/Cooling-Off" law that would apply in your case, at least according to my reading of this Wiki entry: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_there_a_car_buyers_remorse_law_in_New_York

I doubt your CC company will intervene unless there''s some reason to think the jeweler did something wrong. You apparently made the agreement to buy willingly. You might check to see if there is a NY state consumer advocate who could give you more specific advice about the matter.

Good luck!

Richard M.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with Richard. As of right now, they haven''t done anything shady right? Your FF didn''t specify platinum, so the ring was stated in gold. There''s nothing wrong with that unless they told you platinum and then gave you white gold.

I think calling them is in order...if you have just emailed them so far there is nothing to worry about yet, some companies aren''t great at answering emails. Give them the benefit of the doubt for now that they will make it right for you.

brendaman

Shiny_Rock
TL, Richard M. & NF:

Many thanks for your replies! They were most helpful. I relayed your advise to FF, and he is now trying to work with DD store, and so far, they seem willing to make us happy, e.g. no extra cost for platinum (we checked the market for price variance between the two metals and it''s a little about $120 at yesterday''s spot rate) and D/E color on the pave. I have my fingers crossed, but I am a little nervous that it may not be my dream ring.

Don''t get me wrong! I think I would LOVE whatever ring FF prosposes with, but I don''t want the buying experience to be painful. It kind of already been a rather difficult experience.

ElizeDiamondsSapph.jpg

brendaman

Shiny_Rock
Ooops, forgot to mention that I''ve included the picture above of the heated 3.15 ct sapphire which would be in a similar setting as the yellow diamond pictured right below the sapphire. The sapphire is cut with brilliance and is really lively, but I just love the color.

brendaman

Shiny_Rock
OK, now I'm getting more worried as I found this review here from NYgirl1001 that the Diamond District store (Roman Malakov) we went to "ripped off" her fiance, because afer the ring "was appraised for a third less than what he paid - thousands of dollars". Of course, this was for a diamond and not a heated sapphire which it's not industry standard to do a GIA cert.

We just tried calling the store, but they said the salesperson was not there. We had sent earlier this afternooon an email in which we detailed the specs we were expecting for the ring.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m glad the vendor worked with you to get the setting changed. As for the sapphire, the colour is really vivd in your fuzzy picture.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Pretty blue sapphire. I hope the ring is everything you want it to be, but I understand your nerves.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well...there aren't many other comments about them if you google-but it does look like more than 1 person was unhappy. Pay with a CC if you can, then you have protection.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results