shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Tiffany Schlumberger Rings on eBay

SparklePolo

Rough_Rock
I'm helping my dad with a gift hunt for my mom's birthday. She's always liked the Schlumberger 16 Stone Diamond Ring, so I started my search on eBay and found a few below.

With the pandemic going on, I won't be able to get the ring authenticated at a Tiffany store, so I'm hoping my fellow PSers can help! TIA

Pinot Noir

Rough_Rock
I'm helping my dad with a gift hunt for my mom's birthday. She's always liked the Schlumberger 16 Stone Diamond Ring, so I started my search on eBay and found a few below.

With the pandemic going on, I won't be able to get the ring authenticated at a Tiffany store, so I'm hoping my fellow PSers can help! TIA

Hi @SparklePolo!
I do sell on eBay myself and let me comment on your links.
First link and second link: photos are not of actual items most likely. So it is impossible to say whether ring is authentic or not. But I know the first seller and it is quite reliable.
Third one: I bought from her myself and was sent a replica. Look in this forum about fake Schlumberger rings. I am thinking of starting a thread to discuss these particular rings, their history and how to tell replica from the original.
Hope that helps!

SparklePolo

Rough_Rock
Hi @SparklePolo!
I do sell on eBay myself and let me comment on your links.
First link and second link: photos are not of actual items most likely. So it is impossible to say whether ring is authentic or not. But I know the first seller and it is quite reliable.
Third one: I bought from her myself and was sent a replica. Look in this forum about fake Schlumberger rings. I am thinking of starting a thread to discuss these particular rings, their history and how to tell replica from the original.
Hope that helps!

Thank you @Pinot Noir! I haven't pulled the trigger yet due to concerns of replicas. This is a widely known ring with so many fake ones out there. I'm sorry you received a replica from a dishonest seller and hope you were able to get a full refund! :mad:

I'd very much appreciate a thread on these rings! =)2

Pinot Noir

Rough_Rock
Thank you @Pinot Noir! I haven't pulled the trigger yet due to concerns of replicas. This is a widely known ring with so many fake ones out there. I'm sorry you received a replica from a dishonest seller and hope you were able to get a full refund! :mad:

I'd very much appreciate a thread on these rings! =)2

No worries @SparklePolo!
It's been quite some time since that and I got over it :) At least it forced me to do quite a bit of research on the whole Schlumberger line (still ongoing).

What I would recommend: looking for a ring with at least some documents like original Tiffany valuation report but these are rare unfortunately. I have one currently which comes with the original docs but it is a bit too small about size 5.25.
Another option is to look for one with at least third party valuation papers as well: not perfect but better than nothing.
With regards to engraving: Tiffany used different style of engraving over the years (lasered, embossed, different fonts), so always good to see pics of actual engraving inside the ring. Same thing applies to Cartier as well: for example, there is no single engraving standard for Love bracelets: it has been fluctuating over the years, I suppose this way they also try to protect themselves against replicas.

SparklePolo

Rough_Rock
No worries @SparklePolo!
It's been quite some time since that and I got over it :) At least it forced me to do quite a bit of research on the whole Schlumberger line (still ongoing).

What I would recommend: looking for a ring with at least some documents like original Tiffany valuation report but these are rare unfortunately. I have one currently which comes with the original docs but it is a bit too small about size 5.25.
Another option is to look for one with at least third party valuation papers as well: not perfect but better than nothing.
With regards to engraving: Tiffany used different style of engraving over the years (lasered, embossed, different fonts), so always good to see pics of actual engraving inside the ring. Same thing applies to Cartier as well: for example, there is no single engraving standard for Love bracelets: it has been fluctuating over the years, I suppose this way they also try to protect themselves against replicas.

All good info! I saw your listing on Loupe Troop and was itching to make the move, unfortunately it is a tad too small for my mom :cry: The search continues...

Pinot Noir

Rough_Rock
All good info! I saw your listing on Loupe Troop and was itching to make the move, unfortunately it is a tad too small for my mom :cry: The search continues...

Which size does she need? In case I come across one which has the original report?

SparklePolo

Rough_Rock
Which size does she need? In case I come across one which has the original report?

It'd be awesome to have an extra set of eyes on the search :) She'll probably wear the ring on her middle finger, so a size 6.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Pinot Noir I would greatly appreciate some tips on how to recognize a replica, as it is a style I’m interested in. Not sure if you can tell anything from these photos? 6B95BFD8-1F98-4047-88CD-0306A5187129.jpeg 6B4BA94A-FB19-40A3-A1E8-F76E0697B6FC.jpeg

And am I to understand that Tiffany will authenticate?

Pinot Noir

Rough_Rock
@Pinot Noir I would greatly appreciate some tips on how to recognize a replica, as it is a style I’m interested in. Not sure if you can tell anything from these photos? 6B95BFD8-1F98-4047-88CD-0306A5187129.jpeg 6B4BA94A-FB19-40A3-A1E8-F76E0697B6FC.jpeg

And am I to understand that Tiffany will authenticate?

Hi there, It is impossible to say anything concrete based on 2 blurred photos not showing the full ring. Perhaps the seller can provide more clearer photos? It looks okay but I can't say anything for sure based on those. To provide at least some guidance it is ideal to see clear pics of the engraving, pt950 stamp, full image of the opposite bar (I can see only part of it) and of course pics of all the crosses to check for any flaws.
Tiffany do not do authentication strictly speaking when you walk in. Safest way is to request for some simple service like polishing. This is where they will take in the ring and won't do the service if the item is not authentic but it costs time and money.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi there, It is impossible to say anything concrete based on 2 blurred photos not showing the full ring. Perhaps the seller can provide more clearer photos? It looks okay but I can't say anything for sure based on those. To provide at least some guidance it is ideal to see clear pics of the engraving, pt950 stamp, full image of the opposite bar (I can see only part of it) and of course pics of all the crosses to check for any flaws.
Tiffany do not do authentication strictly speaking when you walk in. Safest way is to request for some simple service like polishing. This is where they will take in the ring and won't do the service if the item is not authentic but it costs time and money.

This is very helpful, thank you!

Does this band have one stamped bar and one blank/plain? I trust my local seller but was worried about the inner cold bar with no markings.

Pinot Noir

Rough_Rock
This is very helpful, thank you!

Does this band have one stamped bar and one blank/plain? I trust my local seller but was worried about the inner cold bar with no markings.

The other bar is blank - it is for engraving if required. These rings are used as wedding bands sometimes so one can put engraving onto this spare bar.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The other bar is blank - it is for engraving if required. These rings are used as wedding bands sometimes so one can put engraving onto this spare bar.

This is so helpful to know! I haven’t tried on a Schlumberger band for a few years so I couldn’t remember. Thank you!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also- I emailed you from LT because I wasn’t sure how often you went in PS. Sorry for doubling down on the contact. I might buy a Schlumberger band tomorrow so I was very eager to hear from you.

And I agree- blurry photos are only so useful! I’ve read to make sure the X’s are crossed in an alternating fashion. If there is any other simple stuff to check for, I’ll check this thread often. Thanks!

Pinot Noir

Rough_Rock
Just to make sure - these points I mentioned still do not guarantee the item is authentic. I really can't say anything based on 2 bad quality photos and the fact that the other inner band is not engraved. There are lots of tiny details to watch out for but I can't write an exhaustive manual on authentication of course. And even based on the better quality photos only it is mostly impossible - typically one has to inspect an item in person to make certain conclusions.

There are other things that can happen with these rings: original stones could have fallen out and replaced by a third party jeweller, which means the ring's authenticity is affected (non-Tiffany stone with different size/clarity/colour, and damaged setting etc). This would potentially result with Tiffany refusing to service the ring in future for example.

LIGemzGal

Shiny_Rock
Perhaps also try the site The Real Real. I know they have experts that authenticate every item. They're also a NYS exchange listed company so they have their reputation backing them. I've purchased many a luxury accessory from them and all have been authentic. I've put in Schlumberger and here's what came up

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results