shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Three-stone proportions

Elysian

Brilliant_Rock
Hello!

I'm toying with the idea of making a three-stone for my e-ring "upgrade." I have a question about proportions... I have the side stones and will be purchasing the center in a couple of months. With our budget and my stone preferences, 1.5ct will be the approx. weight. I prefer the middle stone to pop and stand out. What do you think about this configuration? .45ct/1.5ct/.45ct? Will the middle pop?

As for setting, I'm head over heels for WF's Butterflies style. Love everything about it, how the center is set higher, the tilt of the side stones, 6 prong center/ 3 prong sides.

Thanks for any input you may offer. :)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's a graph that might help. I prefer a 70-75 percent. Makes the side stones substantial yet still a distinct gradation. Use the mm size of your stones to calculate the %, not the CTW :wink2: I think 45 pointers would sure make that center pop!

uploadfromtaptalk1369520858101.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also think stones just under a half carat would be a good buy, but the problem is that you'll find a lot more at .40 or so and then at .50 or so. I think .40 would be a little small. So finding matches in the .45-.49 range will be the challenge.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elysian|1369519655|3453772 said:
Hello!

I'm toying with the idea of making a three-stone for my e-ring "upgrade." I have a question about proportions... I have the side stones and will be purchasing the center in a couple of months. With our budget and my stone preferences, 1.5ct will be the approx. weight. I prefer the middle stone to pop and stand out. What do you think about this configuration? .45ct/1.5ct/.45ct? Will the middle pop?

As for setting, I'm head over heels for WF's Butterflies style. Love everything about it, how the center is set higher, the tilt of the side stones, 6 prong center/ 3 prong sides.

Thanks for any input you may offer. :)

The proportions of the head will look very similar to this one w/ 1.5ct center and 0.4 each sides:

Butterflies-3-Stone-Engagement-Ring-in-Platinum-by-Whiteflash_34424_f.jpg
wf_butterflies_1.png

Butterflies was my setting - I had two iterations made, the first in platinum and the second in WG. I'm obviously biased but I loved it for exactly the reasons you outlined - the six/three prong combo, the sides angled and tucked in to highlight the center... One bit of advice - if you're going with plat and you don't care for patina definitely ask for the 95/Ru alloy. The stock stuff is 95/Ir and the patina is the reason I chose WG second time around!

ETA my threads if you want more pics from different angles -
2ct w/ 0.3 sides in plat: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-2-ct-fic-is-here-journey-and-pics.123820/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-2-ct-fic-is-here-journey-and-pics.123820/[/URL]
2.7 w/ 0.43 sides in WG: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/yssies-new-ring-is-here-2-7-three-stone-in-unplated-wg.144010/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/yssies-new-ring-is-here-2-7-three-stone-in-unplated-wg.144010/[/URL] (I specifically asked for this version to be made more "open", the stock version looks more like the first wherein the prongs really hug the stones)

Elysian

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the replies, Niel, diamondseeker2006, and Yssie!

Niel - Very helpful comparison pic. I think 62% looks like what I'm going for. It's amazing how just a few mm makes such a HUGE difference.

diamondseeker - I'll be using my diamond studs as side stones, so got those babies covered.

Yssie - Thank you for your threads. I'm going to read through them more carefully after writing this post. But based on the stock pic you posted (love it!) I feel relieved of the proportions I chose. At quick glance at the threads...Yssie, your ring is stupendous.

I was looking at solitaires for awhile and couldn't decide on one style... and they drive me a little bit nutty as they swing around the finger, even when sized correctly and even when stacked. It was love at first sight, Butterflies. Do you find that your three-stone swing around the finger?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! I still have the empty WG setting, I'm just waiting for the right stones to put in it. Yup, they did swing a bit - less than a solitaire might thanks to the sidestones but I think to avoid it completely you'd need to go with a five-stone or maybe even more...
Perhaps a Euroshank?

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Agreed, I like the range of the 62% to 70% best so I think your size of sidestones will be perfect! How neat that you can use your current diamond studs in this 3 stone (obviously it just means that you will need to get bigger diamond studs!!! ;))) Can't wait to see how it looks.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, great! I now see you said you have the side stones. Are they GIA graded so you can match them to the center stone?

Elysian

Brilliant_Rock
Yssie|1369524599|3453801 said:
Thank you! I still have the empty WG setting, I'm just waiting for the right stones to put in it. Yup, they did swing a bit - less than a solitaire might thanks to the sidestones but I think to avoid it completely you'd need to go with a five-stone or maybe even more...
Perhaps a Euroshank?

That's good to know! I'm glad three-stone rings do not swing as much as solitaires, that puts my mind at ease of my decision to go the three-stone route. I think I'll try out this style and take it from there, see if i need to alter the shank or add more stones. I wouldn't want to mess with perfection though. ;-)

Elysian

Brilliant_Rock
pandabee|1369526585|3453819 said:
Agreed, I like the range of the 62% to 70% best so I think your size of sidestones will be perfect! How neat that you can use your current diamond studs in this 3 stone (obviously it just means that you will need to get bigger diamond studs!!! ;))) Can't wait to see how it looks.

I like the way you think, pandabee. ;-)

Elysian

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1369530951|3453854 said:
Oh, great! I now see you said you have the side stones. Are they GIA graded so you can match them to the center stone?

Yes, they are indeed GIA graded, I color, triple excellent. I'm looking for H-I color ideal cut stones, preferably H&A. And I'll certainly need the help of the lovely PS members to choose one. I'll be ready to purchase late July and will open another thread then seeking help. :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results