shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Should I get an independent appraiser to appraise a pre-owned ring?

rockyrookie

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! I'm looking to buy a pre-owned diamond ring from a private seller. The diamond comes with a GIA certificate. As the seller has a no return policy (and in any case I'm based outside the US, so a return would be fairly troublesome), I would like to transact through an independent appraiser who can verify that the ring is as described before I go through with the purchase. The seller has also agreed to this arrangement.

The ring setting was made by David Klass, and I was thinking about getting David Klass to appraise the ring and also then proceed with the resizing when I go through with the sale. However, I'm not sure that he will do a "full appraisal" like what I would get if I sent it to a professional appraiser. I asked him to confirm what he will be checking in the appraisal, and he replied that he will do his best to see if the GIA matches the stone in the ring as best as possible without removing it.

The alternative I was considering was to send it to Patrick Davis who is also based in LA, and has good reviews on this forum, and then if the ring checks out, I will get it sent on to DK for the resizing.

What I would like to have confirmed in the appraisal are that the diamond matches the GIA certificate, that the setting is indeed from DK and platinum, and that there is no damage or chips on the diamond and ring.

Could I find out if anyone has experience with DK's appraisal and is aware if it would be as detailed as I would like please? I would be grateful for any thoughts on whether I should send it to an independent professional appraiser, or if the appraisal from DK is sufficient for me to go through with the purchase? Would also appreciate any advice or thoughts on whether there is anything I should look out for in this transaction.

Thanks very much!

Last edited:

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Question for you: are you & the seller contemplating that you will wire the money to the appraiser who will hold it in escrow pending his receipt and examination of the ring; then if the ring is A-OK, the appraiser will send the money to the seller?

If that's the plan, does David Klass understand that's what you have in mind? I'd expect an independent appraiser, like Patrick Davis, is familiar, and comfortable, with that way of proceeding. But I'm less certain that DK would want to get involved in doing that.

rockyrookie

Rough_Rock
Question for you: are you & the seller contemplating that you will wire the money to the appraiser who will hold it in escrow pending his receipt and examination of the ring; then if the ring is A-OK, the appraiser will send the money to the seller?

If that's the plan, does David Klass understand that's what you have in mind? I'd expect an independent appraiser, like Patrick Davis, is familiar, and comfortable, with that way of proceeding. But I'm less certain that DK would want to get involved in doing that.

As the seller had the ring set by David Klass, she is comfortable to send it to DK first and then for me to transfer the payment after the appraisal is done, before any resizing work. So the current plan is not to have payment held in escrow - I just need an appraiser who will do a complete appraisal of the condition of the ring and validate that it is as described. And that’s one reason why going with DK would be convenient - as the seller knows and trusts him!

You are also right that DK doesn’t offer escrow services as I did ask him and he said no.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Sounds like a good plan to me.

rockyrookie

Rough_Rock
Sounds like a good plan to me.

Thanks for the vote of confidence!!

The only concern I have is whether DK’s appraisal would be detailed enough - like does he check for potential damage? This is a concern for me since the ring is preowned. Would appreciate any views or reviews of DK’s appraisal!

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
If you want a thorough independent appraisal, why not find an independent appraiser? David Klass is very knowledgeable and skilled, I don’t doubt his ability to do the task. But he’s a jeweler specializing in custom work. Your question seems kind of like, “I’ve heard of this really great baker, I am looking for a ham sandwich and I want it to be delicious. I was wondering if anyone could tell me about the baker’s ham sandwiches?”

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I vote for the impartial independent appraiser for your situation, especially if you have no prior relationship with the ring seller that trust is a earned perk.
Although I feel DK is capable of telling you what you want to know - the independent appraiser is better suited to being an intermediary should something go wrong /be disagreed upon.
I think DK being in the middle of that (stuff happens) would be uncomfortable for all involved.

Last edited:

rockyrookie

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for all your replies!! It sounds like DK will be able to answer my questions, but going with an independent appraiser will probably work better for the transaction. I will check with the seller on whether that works for her.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results