carat
color
clarity

Help setting an O colored 1.59ct AVC diamond

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Totally get not wanting that wide area!
I originally was thinking of taking the space from the wide area and instead of adding it to your original heart/navette design and stretching it out-
Use that space differently to keep the correct proportions.
It could be a milgrained or simply engraved line
A9E3A96B-DB77-41E2-B3AB-CDB4E226A2DB.jpeg
Or it can be a very plain filigree pattern ( like this but obviously new and neat/precise)
53B2D7F4-ABCA-43EB-92B3-D6D5F5582639.jpeg
Or the added in element to take up the space like @CHRISTY-DANIELLE sketched out
700106B8-83D2-49D2-98F6-D1D6B3F0F145.jpeg

I know all these sound much simpler than actually executing them!

Thank you. I‘m not super creative so seeing your pics helps a lot!
I just emailed Amy going over a list of options (provided by you wonderful PSers) and asking her opinion.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
:doh:oh lordy, Amy knows my "handywork" well...

Hope you guys figure out how to make that lovely gallery work. I also like @Rfisher's idea about thickening the bridge maybe, so gallery could be more like the inspo.
Opening the donut might work too, but does change the sideview.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hope you guys figure out how to make that lovely gallery work. I also like @Rfisher's idea about thickening the bridge maybe, so gallery could be more like the inspo.

actually I was thinking putting it right below the metal of the halo, but I didn’t specify. Bridge area might work tho?

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hey, it’s a small PSer world. :lol:
I‘ll keep you updated on the gallery progress. Hopefully, I can get this done soon because I’m dying to see it finished. I will not rush, I will not rush, I will (hopefully) not rush...:mrgreen:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
actually I was thinking putting it right below the metal of the halo, but I didn’t specify. Bridge area might work tho?

I like the one you showed with extra filigree right under the halo. It would take up the extra space without adding bulk. :D

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
I haven’t followed the cads a great deal... and I apologise if it has been covered previously.
would you consider the 12 and 6 o’clock melee to tilt/ curve up a little. More like a petal?? I think it would give it a more floral and perhaps flow-y look to match the baskets of love hearts? Tried to draw what I meant.

it may be difficult due to the step cut chosen for that area. Guess making the bezel around that stone to curve a little, even though it is a step cut / baguette in that area? 494F6465-D8FD-41CC-8215-616A344752F1.jpeg

Last edited:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @ItsMainelyYou , @CHRISTY-DANIELLE , & @gregchang35 .
I actually love how the new gallery looks. Thank you Christy for the perfect idea for me. Unfortunately, I did noticed a couple little things I needed to fix. The most obvious being that the tips of the shoulders are back out from under the edge of the halo (I almost didn’t notice that).

F6FF3141-A86C-40C3-8579-DA8FF1858137.jpeg

I also asked that she make the bottom half of the shank rose gold. I just feel better having it in cad form. Lastly, I asked that the basket be bowed out ever so slightly so it isn’t a “straight“ line (though not as much as my last cad).

I’m almost done, thank goodness. Even my husband is starting to make fun of me for how long this project is taking. :-o

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
@elle_71125 bwah, just tell your husband you heard of *someone* who spent 4+ months and countless cads (ok, actually Amy told me how many, but it's embarassing...). You take your time and don't feel guilty! In the end you will be glad you poked and prodded and tweaked it to perfection.
For sure : get another plastic once the cad feels right. I know it seems like another delay, but seeing that 3D, life sized plastic is so helpful when you have a very particular aesthetic in mind.
Slow and steady, you'll get there!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@elle_71125 bwah, just tell your husband you heard of *someone* who spent 4+ months and countless cads (ok, actually Amy told me how many, but it's embarassing...). You take your time and don't feel guilty! In the end you will be glad you poked and prodded and tweaked it to perfection.
For sure : get another plastic once the cad feels right. I know it seems like another delay, but seeing that 3D, life sized plastic is so helpful when you have a very particular aesthetic in mind.
Slow and steady, you'll get there!

Ha, that does make me feel better. :mrgreen:I remember how long your project took and how many revisions you made (all for the best since it turned out so perfectly).:love:

I feel bad asking for another plastic model but I know I’ll need to see it in person before I commit. You’re so right about taking your time. I’m really struggling with it because I want it NOW but I’m working on my patience so that I can make it perfect for me.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Pshhh, I think I got about 5 plastics for my last ring. It's easy for them to produce, it's just a 3D copier.
Worth it!
And patience, oy. Mind you I delivered my stone to them in October. Didn't get to see it again til February! At least you still have your diamond to look at! That made it harder!!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pshhh, I think I got about 5 plastics for my last ring. It's easy for them to produce, it's just a 3D copier.
Worth it!
And patience, oy. Mind you I delivered my stone to them in October. Didn't get to see it again til February! At least you still have your diamond to look at! That made it harder!!

You didn’t even have your diamond to look at? Huge oof! :shock: I’m planning on sending mine in soon (I’d like to have it scanned in) but it’s so nice to have around. Especially for the plastics. I can’t even imagine how tough that was on you. Dang, girl. :eek-2:

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Yes, that was the worst part! When I got my stone I played with it every day, would come home from work and B-line to the safe to get out my rock. (DH thought it was hilarious). So, oh , did I miss her when she was off in LA...thats when you know it's love ;-)

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here’s my new CAD. Looks like someone forgot to add diamonds on the left shoulder but I think that was just a small mishap. :lol:

Anything I’m missing?

EA0F1EEE-A20F-414A-8799-3D988DD2C0F2.jpeg

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
@elle_71125 oh boy! It looks like all the design changes have been implemented beautifully! I would highly recommend a plastic, especially since it's sitting lower and the basket had been redone. Just to make sure it "feels right". You know I'm excited for you! This is going to be so special! :)

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep. I think another wax model is important for this one.
the previous wax really showed some things that weren’t apparent on the CAD, at all.

the best things take some time.

And I want to also thank you for letting us look over your shoulder for this journey. its fascinating to me. And well, other reasons too! ;-)

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @CHRISTY-DANIELLE and @Rfisher . :mrgreen:
I’m definitely going to request a new plastic model. I want to see it in person and I really want to compare it to the other plastic. I’m not sure how I feel about the new basket. I love the new design so that stays but I’m unsure about the new basket height / shape. It’s such a tiny difference so I plan to compare the plastic models and see where my preference lies.

I love that you gals have been following along with my ring journey here. Thank you both for all the insight and encouragement. :love:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, it turns out I wasn't quite ready for a plastic model yet. I wanted the basket to be filled in (where it wasn't touching on the sides). Here's my new CAD.

Ring Cad 2.jpg

I also asked for a close up on the side, where the shoulder meets the halo. I wanted to see what happens to the gallery there. I asked Amy and the gallery cuts off behind the shoulders (there is empty space). I'm not sure I love the idea of there being a void back there but I'm not sure how to "fix" it or if it's even a big deal. Any ideas?

Ring CAD.png

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmmm
I don’t have an answer, just an opinion or different point of view?
On this view marked below, I could ‘see’ it as a continuity of pattern/design of sorts, and it doesn’t bother me. Because they are similar in size to my eye.
74060012-CAD9-494F-9616-32B8126827D0.jpeg
But when I look at this view, it almost looks like it is filled in with something under the shoulder. It doesn’t look like an empty spot.
F8BAC016-8E01-40D7-BB60-771ED30D9EAE.jpeg

If it were me, I’d still get the plastic model before changing the cad.
:)

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another thought
5600F163-F4FD-422B-8D6B-A5E442756BE0.jpeg
At some point they lowered this side area step down a bit more.
If it returns back to the original, I don’t know if it messes up other changes you had asked to have done, or it creates space to achieve more continuity of the pattern under the shoulder.
I’m sorry I’m throwing out no solutions, only more questions!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
i forget- is this going to be a stand alone ring? if considering a plain band to go next to it, there will be a gap.

if it is a stand alone ring.. then the low setting is fine. ;-)

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmmm
I don’t have an answer, just an opinion or different point of view?
On this view marked below, I could ‘see’ it as a continuity of pattern/design of sorts, and it doesn’t bother me. Because they are similar in size to my eye.
74060012-CAD9-494F-9616-32B8126827D0.jpeg
But when I look at this view, it almost looks like it is filled in with something under the shoulder. It doesn’t look like an empty spot.
F8BAC016-8E01-40D7-BB60-771ED30D9EAE.jpeg

If it were me, I’d still get the plastic model before changing the cad.
:)

I actually asked Amy and she said it's not filled in behind the shoulders (despite looking that way from the other view). I think my main concern would be if it's going to be this visible gap when I look at the basket / gallery. I'm not sure how much of that section would be visible based on how the shoulders swoop in.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another thought
5600F163-F4FD-422B-8D6B-A5E442756BE0.jpeg
At some point they lowered this side area step down a bit more.
If it returns back to the original, I don’t know if it messes up other changes you had asked to have done, or it creates space to achieve more continuity of the pattern under the shoulder.
I’m sorry I’m throwing out no solutions, only more questions!

Yes! I didn't ask for that change but I noticed it on the first purple CAD. I imposed one image over the other and it seems like a very small change so I figured I'd just leave it there for now. I'm still debating if I want it moved back up a bit but I think I'd need to see a plastic model before making that decision.

Lol. I feel like all I have are questions on this project. :lol:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i forget- is this going to be a stand alone ring? if considering a plain band to go next to it, there will be a gap.

if it is a stand alone ring.. then the low setting is fine. ;-)

It will be a stand alone ring. I used to wear bands with my rings but these days I just wear most of them on their own. :mrgreen:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Offer to compensate them for two plastic models so you can see the differences at the same time?

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Offer to compensate them for two plastic models so you can see the differences at the same time?

I like that idea. Off to go email Amy. :mrgreen:

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
@elle_71125 can I just say -I actually like the way it looks from the side, where the shoulder hits the halo. As @Rfisher said, there's a nice symmetry and pattern to it.
It's also hard to realize when looking at these larger than life cads, that some "spaces" are actually sub 1mm, and probably not going to be noticeable in real size.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@elle_71125 can I just say -I actually like the way it looks from the side, where the shoulder hits the halo. As @Rfisher said, there's a nice symmetry and pattern to it.
It's also hard to realize when looking at these larger than life cads, that some "spaces" are actually sub 1mm, and probably not going to be noticeable in real size.

Thank you. I totally agree with what you’re saying. Sometimes we spend so much time looking at these giant CAD versions of our rings that we forget how small the actual finished product is. I requested a plastic for it as is so I’ll share once I receive it. :mrgreen:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results