shape
carat
color
clarity

Help setting an O colored 1.59ct AVC diamond

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t venture over to “Rocky Talk” very often. All that talk about assets and HCA scores gives me the shivers. It probably explains why I’m a colored stone girl all the way. Having said that, there is one style of diamond that’s always made me ooh and ahhh…and that's @Rhino ‘s August Vintage cushions. I just love them! Those big chunky facets just make me swoon. :love: I have a couple of his AVC moissanites but I’ve always known I’d want one of his diamonds too. I was scrolling through Rhino’s website (a common occurrence, I admit), when my eyes fell on this gorgeous O colored diamond.

https://augustvintageinc.com/collec...vs2-august-vintage-cushion-brilliant-74193915
August Vintage.jpg

Stats:
1.59ct
Color: O
Dimensions: 6.65 - 7.20 x 4.5
Clarity: VS2

With a lot of encouragement (read: pushing) from my wonderful husband and one diamond centric dream, I finally took the leap. @Rhino was absolutely wonderful to buy from, which of course is no surprise to my fellow PSers. He is quite charismatic and left me feeling very confident with my purchase. Still, I was honestly kind of terrified it would show up and I’d hate the color. Having never seen a low colored diamond in person, I just wasn’t sure what to expect. One brutal weekend later and I had it in hand…and it’s absolutely gorgeous! I LOVE the color. It’s like antique lace. Nice and creamy with a yellow undertone. Turns out, I’m definitely a fan of low colored diamonds. :kiss2: Especially with an antique cut diamond.

Now I just need to figure out how to set it but this is where I definitely need help. I’m a halo girl all the way but the tint of my diamond contrasts quite a bit with my bright white diamond halos. So what’s a girl to do? A rose gold ring? Unplated white gold? Yellow gold bezel? :think:

I'll add a few pictures in just a little bit.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have been loving the east to west prong settings for these cushion cut diamonds. After seeing the setting on Blue Nile

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congrats on your new purchase, I just love his AVC's, they are to die for. Will be checking to see what you end up doing. In my situation, the platinum setting really didn't do much to help bring out the color so I changed it to a solid yellow bezel, which really did the trick. Your stone is beautiful!:love:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, well that is a pretty spectacular diamond right there!

Since you love a halo how about something like this from CVB with an all metal halo. I also noticed the Casablanca she has pictured with a more tinted center and whiter diamonds in the halo, if you like that look you could certainly pull that off.

IMG_6759.jpg IMG_6760.jpg

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Antique lace is a lovely way to describe a beautiful stone. I'm a bezel girl, a plain yellow bezel would be my suggestion. Though the rose gold option would be interesting too. Looking forward to seeing how you choose to set the stone!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love a good minimalist split shank on a stone like this. You could do rose gold or yellow gold, shiny or brushed metal.
I personally would not do a white metal but that's me.

Check old world diamonds

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I really love the idea of a CvB Meredith. The metal scroll frame setting pictured above. I think that would be beautiful.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’ve got a Q AVC (similar ballpark colour wise to yours) that’s a sliver under a carat, so quite a bit smaller than yours, set in a yellow gold bezel. I’ll take some pics tomorrow if it would help. I didn’t see the stone loose so can’t comment on how bezelling affected it, but sometimes it’s lacy off-white (I’m stealing your description!) and sometimes a beautiful light golden colour.

Your stone is stunning and has great presence on your hand, even without the size bump of a setting around it - it’s going to look amazing once set!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I'll always see these colors in gold WWW

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No halo - I'm thinking something "lacey" looking.

Thank you. Right now I’m open to all ideas except for solitaires. I need something going on up there.

Oh my, I'm glad I clicked on this thread :kiss2: Antique lace is a great way to describe lower colored stones! My vote is rose gold to contrast the color
Thank you. I’m thinking maybe a rose gold halo would compliment it nicely.
I’m still miles away from picking a setting but maybe something like this one.
E04D1F04-5E43-4AB4-8807-A6EABAB91064.jpeg

I have been loving the east to west prong settings for these cushion cut diamonds. After seeing the setting on Blue Nile
I don’t think I’ve seen one. I’ll have to do some digging. ;)2

Congrats on your new purchase, I just love his AVC's, they are to die for. Will be checking to see what you end up doing. In my situation, the platinum setting really didn't do much to help bring out the color so I changed it to a solid yellow bezel, which really did the trick. Your stone is beautiful!:love:
Thank you and I totally agree about Rhino’s AVCs...absolute perfection.
Thanks for the tip. I feel like it looks beautiful next to the platinum in some lighting...but not so much in others. If I use yellow gold, it will only be around the center stone, since my skin doesn’t look great with that color. Something like this...

D4BF711B-2759-46F6-AD53-79D179B97892.jpeg

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, well that is a pretty spectacular diamond right there!

Since you love a halo how about something like this from CVB with an all metal halo. I also noticed the Casablanca she has pictured with a more tinted center and whiter diamonds in the halo, if you like that look you could certainly pull that off.

IMG_6759.jpg IMG_6760.jpg

I’m not totally in love with the first all metal halo. I’d like at least some diamond melee. I do like this one from CvB. It’s got a little of both going on.

F06373A8-3A1F-4D42-80C7-792EDB0D655A.png

I actually kinda like the second ring’s contrast. I wonder if that’s something I would appreciate in my own ring. I found another Casablanca setting owned by @Queenie60 that uses a beautiful two tone look. Although this style may not work for my cushion shape, I like the overall feel of it.

C6C4F025-D981-441C-A6D6-9DE2AF1B1774.jpeg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a Y-Z AVC about that size and an O color AVR. In both of them, there is an 18k gold bezel or cup around the stone to enhance the yellow. The white diamond halo for contrast. You can see that even the O looks quite light yellow the way it is set. Both rings by Caysie of CVB Inspired Design. Your stone is beautiful! I look forward to seeing it set! IMG_3452(Edited).jpg

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a Y-Z AVC about that size and an O color AVR. In both of them, there is an 18k gold bezel or cup around the stone to enhance the yellow. The white diamond halo for contrast. You can see that even the O looks quite light yellow the way it is set. Both rings by Caysie of CVB Inspired Design. Your stone is beautiful! I look forward to seeing it set! IMG_3452(Edited).jpg

Thank you for posting these. They are absolutely stunning!! :kiss2:
I like how they aren’t really bezels but they still give that look...and they amp up the color. I’m definitely keeping this idea at the forefront.

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
Had to jump on this thread because your cushion looks amazing! I'm with the others who have suggested rose gold- your stone has color, embrace it. I have a R colored AVR 1.3 carats in an 18k rose gold LAD setting. Can't wait to see what you do with your diamond =)2
673276 673277

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I would do rich 18k gold for the undertones in the stone. I would use very low colored diamonds in the halo. Another option would be colored sapphires. I would emphasize the color and let that be the story. Low colored diamonds are AMAZING.

If you go rose gold, maybe pink diamond melee.

DorotheaBrooke

Brilliant_Rock
I also love halos but for my 1.4 ct O AVC, I decided on a rose gold bezel. I didn't want bright melee competing with my chunky warm stone. I asked about pink diamond melee, but Maytal kindly let me know it was way beyond my budget. :)

20181001-DSCF9697.jpg

Diamondseeker and anangel's rings are gorgeous, too. Love the idea of a gold cup/bezel to make the contrast between the center stone and halo very deliberate.

Whatever you decide, your stone will make an amazing ring!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your stone is gorgeous!! It will look amazing in platinum or rose gold.
I know you are not into solitaires... I can totally see a red gold bezel or frenchie sidestones in platinum. Whatever you decide it will be gorgeous!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've often thought about doing a 3 stone with an AVC and two coloured stones like this;

A 3 stone with bezels & 2 x coloured stones would also be awesome...

Lvoeshinythings

Shiny_Rock
Ooooh weee! I’m digging all the pics in this thread since I just purchased an OEC from August Vintage, too! I think I’m gonna do a bezel in brushed rose gold. Not sure yet. Let us know what you decide!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Casablanca from cvb design gets my vote. Yellow gold cupping is also one that would play / enhance the yellow tint in that cushion.
That”bezel/halo” look has a vintage feel for me and these stones (whilst newly cut) have that antique feel to them for me.

Am going thru a rose gold list phase at the moment and would have suggested the rose gold... but your stone and Casablanca with yellow gold cup just hits all the feels for me.

So much fun to be had when deciding the setting. You will know when you see it...

Good luck, and can’t wait to see the pictures of what you have decided!!!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also love halos but for my 1.4 ct O AVC, I decided on a rose gold bezel. I didn't want bright melee competing with my chunky warm stone. I asked about pink diamond melee, but Maytal kindly let me know it was way beyond my budget. :)

20181001-DSCF9697.jpg

Diamondseeker and anangel's rings are gorgeous, too. Love the idea of a gold cup/bezel to make the contrast between the center stone and halo very deliberate.

Whatever you decide, your stone will make an amazing ring!

I am crazy about this ring...it's perfect and shows off the stone so beautifully. Would look amazing in yg too.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Antique lace is a lovely way to describe a beautiful stone. I'm a bezel girl, a plain yellow bezel would be my suggestion. Though the rose gold option would be interesting too. Looking forward to seeing how you choose to set the stone!
Thanks for the idea. I’m really waffling between rose gold and yellow gold. Yellow isn’t my first choice but it may be perfect for this stone. Tough decisions. :think:

I love a good minimalist split shank on a stone like this. You could do rose gold or yellow gold, shiny or brushed metal.
I personally would not do a white metal but that's me.

Check old world diamonds
Thanks for the link. A few of those had gorgeous profiles. :love:

Rose Gold would be my pick.
Duly noted. :mrgreen: I love rose gold. I’m thinkinG maybe 18k rose gold (because it has just a little more yellow to it) or a champagne gold (is that even a real thing?). Decisions, decisions.

I really love the idea of a CvB Meredith. The metal scroll frame setting pictured above. I think that would be beautiful.
CvB has some gorgeous detailing. *swoon* I’m not particularly in love with a metal halo for this one but I think it would look great with a colored stone. =)2

I’ve got a Q AVC (similar ballpark colour wise to yours) that’s a sliver under a carat, so quite a bit smaller than yours, set in a yellow gold bezel. I’ll take some pics tomorrow if it would help. I didn’t see the stone loose so can’t comment on how bezelling affected it, but sometimes it’s lacy off-white (I’m stealing your description!) and sometimes a beautiful light golden colour.

Your stone is stunning and has great presence on your hand, even without the size bump of a setting around it - it’s going to look amazing once set!
Thank you so much. Mine is certainly not large by PS standards but it is by real life standards (so to speak). I’m thrilled to say it’s mine...plus that cut is bonkers. :kiss2:
Ps. I’d love to see your AVC. Please post pics.

I'll always see these colors in gold WWW
Thank you. It would definitely compliment the O color beautifully.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results