shape
carat
color
clarity

Help - serious problems with popular online vendor

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tanalasta

Shiny_Rock
Premium
You are free to ignore posts / advice. As for saying I lost all credibility with you, that is your choice. I am only trying to provide views and opinions other people may not have said to try to help you (and others) have a more complete picture of the situation. I remain empowered in my knowledge that I am trying to help. I see a confrontational, possibly arrogant tone from this 'lawyer' who touts himself as a legal practitioner more interested in what HE sees as the 'principle' of the matter in that 'he is right, the vendor is wrong and should pay for the damage' than resolving the problem.

The OP's idea of resolving the problem is admission of guilt from the offending party and repair, at their cost, into a satisfactory setting.

So I decided to pretend to be just as inflammatory ... and look at the flaming and response generated. Now stop sympathising with the OP for a minute. We have a well known, apparently respected vendor with may happy customers on one hand vs an irate lawyer/customer on the other who is trying to persuade both public opinion and the vendor into admitting they were (alledgedly) wrong and repair the damage at the vendor's cost, despite the OP suggesting he has insurance.

I will however, in my last post for this thread and in trying to be constructive post a final reply.

1. A happy vendor / jeweller is more motivated to do a better job. Morale makes a difference. I did not in any way imply the jeweller will do a shoddy job. I inferred that a happier jeweller and happier customer is a better experience. An unhappy jeweller may still do a satisfactory job but his heart may not be in it.

It does not take a human resources or management degree to realise this.

I did not say he'd be like a Macdonald's worker who spits in the burger of the customer who offended him.

2. Jewellery salespeople are not necessarily gemmologists. They are sometimes not even certified graders. They may not even have any formal education or even informal information. A friend of mine who used to work and sell jewellery in a large-B&M chain is a dentistry student. And was hired on a casual holiday basis. To say that they must be more educated than you is an assumption one should take with caution.

Don't 'infer' ... sit back. Think on it ... then look at the facts.

More importantly, what is the opinion of the partner? It is HER set isn't it?

How is the vendor 'legally obliged' to fix it? Has this been proven yet? You seem to have a lot of time, patience and money for pursueing your view of the 'principle' of the matter. Sending it to an appraiser is a good idea as it may provide an objective, qualified and expert opinion as to what happened. Something that a layman cannot.

*edit* - since they're comparing hours worked on the next page - I work 85 hours up to 160 hours a fortnight, including a shift three out of four weekends. That's 2210 hours a year.
24.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
DS..obviously i do know that 'rings can be made' as you mention, but the vendor is saying THESE rings WERE made like that. so that makes me question the potential wear issues...rather than just go 'that's unacceptable'. again, there are possibilities here.

mrs salvo, my post said the 'rings' might be loose and banging into each other, not the stones in the rings. again, it's just a possibility, a thought, an option.

i just find it interesting that the vendor IS saying the rings don't touch, yet the stones are chipped. it does make you at least wonder about how the individual was wearing them (or if they were doing something she did not notice on their own)...my whole point is that in my opinion from my years on PS and having seen lots of things...nothing is black and white when it comes to stuff like this, aka individuals wearing rings for months or a year or whatever and then having issues. there are always potentially multiple ways it could have happened OTHER than the obvious.

rt...good luck with everything and please keep us posted on what the indep. appraiser says!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2007 5:12:00 AM
Author: tanalasta

If you''re a lawyer you should be able to afford to replace the rings / settings / diamonds.
That''s just offensive. I''m sorry.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2007 11:48:06 AM
Author: mrssalvo

Date: 2/9/2007 10:40:28 AM
Author: Mara
i''m sorry but flat out there is a possibility if this woman''s rings ARE LOOSE and they are tilting, the stones WILL bang into each other.

mara rtbrown said in a previous post:

''The vendor''s in-house jeweler confirmed that the damage to the ering is coming from a single stone on the wedding ring; however, he indicated that the offending stone has not shifted or otherwise moved due to a loose prong.''

so this would lead me to believe the stones aren''t loose and causing the damage. Of course I agree that none of know or can tell anything from pics so involving a third party is a excellent idea in this case.
Mrs. S. I don''t think Mara was suggesting that the *stones* were loose. I think she''s suggesting that the *rings* might fit loosely on the woman''s finger. If they fit loosely, they can be subject to side-to-side movement, and they possibly could be subject to not laying flat next to each other. One could ''ride up'' on the finger taller than the other, if that makes sense.

kev_800

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/9/2007 12:28:44 PM
Author: Gypsy

If you''re a lawyer you should be able to afford to replace the rings / settings / diamonds.

Hahah I thought the same thing when I read that comment...... totally out of left field, and totally not based in reality.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2007 7:25:03 PM
Author: kev_800

Hahah I thought the same thing when I read that comment...... totally out of left field, and totally not based in reality.

Yeah.... it''s like saying You''re a Millionaire so it''s okay if you get ripped off!

Please. If people realized how many hours we put in for what we get paid... they''d be shocked at how LITTLE the majority of us get paid.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
We can go back and forth on this all week into 200 pages and we are getting no where.
Without seeing it and the damage its pretty much impossible to say for sure what went wrong.
I see nothing in the pictures that says why they chipped and I'm pretty sure no one else can either.
I'm looking forward to hearing that the appraiser who will see it in person has to say.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2007 7:35:43 PM

Yeah.... it''s like saying You''re a Millionaire so it''s okay if you get ripped off!

Please. If people realized how many hours we put in for what we get paid... they''d be shocked at how LITTLE the majority of us get paid.
Gypsy,

How many hours do you bill?
11.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Now? None. I'm working as a Contracts Attorney. In house. I LOVE it. Norm for NJ was 2100 a year. I almost CRIED when I found out that the norm for Washington State (Portland) was 1800... then I tried my HARDEST to get out there. LOL.

Oh. AND I should say that at my current job... I took a large paycut. And I work 10-12 hour days when the job demands it. And it does at times.

Better than endless days sleep in the office for 4 hours though.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
And don''t forget that billables are not equal to actual hours.
11.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
2 times more like. 2100 hours means 4200 hours REAL TIME. A YEAR.

jayreneepea

Brilliant_Rock
Can someone explain to me what wearing a ring in an unique manner means??
33.gif
The whole process of wearing a ring seems pretty usual and typical.

ayala_jessica

Shiny_Rock

Oh yes ! sometimes it is even pro bono !!

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2007 10:03:06 AM
Author: ayala_jessica

Oh yes ! sometimes it is even pro bono !!
Just a side note on this. Sorry to threadjack. I always said that I would rather be a court reporter than a lawyer. They work waaayyyy too hard for their money. That is no joke.

shay

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jessica,

Even in Switzerland?!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I think it *is* a design flaw. These types of rings need to be engineered correctly. I have many trademark "gemloks". My friend bought an off brand look a like. Her diamonds have chipped & some have fallen out. I have had NO problems with mine. The metal "girdle" extends ever so slightly past the diamond girdle. Clearly, a design flaw with hers.

Good luck.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2007 10:19:58 AM
Author: Harriet
Jessica,

Even in Switzerland?!

That''s disheartening.

I love my job. Pay and all. I actually get home for dinner most nights. I love my job, love my job, love my job.

ayala_jessica

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/8/2007 7:32:28 PM
Author: fatkid
this is a lame post.

doing the slightest bit of homework would have clued you in on the relative ease in which whitegold can yellow.

and i second KimberlyH analogy regarding the pots...

come on.

-r.
Fatkid, you can voice your opinion in here but you don''t need to be rude ! Not only it doesn''t help anybody but it just adds up to the rtbrown''s hassle.

ayala_jessica

Shiny_Rock
Jessica,

Even in Switzerland?!
Yes Harriet, I would say even more in Switzerland...Actually in most of continental Europe (British Common Law is quite different) it is forbidden by all the "us and coutumes" of the different bars and now even by the European Lawyers deontology codex for the attorneys to be paid exclusively with a percentage of the money disputed in the claim in case of success in court. That means that we are obliged to work on timesheets and to bill the client no matter if the case is eventually won or not...which means also that except with clients that are big companies or wealthy private clients, the average client can''t pay for the entire time you work on his case so you generally have to lower sometimes considerably the fees and you can''t compensate for that loss when the case is won. The thing is that small cases demand often the same or more amount of time than big cases, hence the loss.

The only adjustment that is possible is to make prior to the litigation a "pactum de palmario" in agreement with the client which boils down simply to a reduction of the fee per hour for the work done during the case and up to the time the judgment is issued and in case of success, to get a small percentage (not more than 10% I think) of the money won by the client in court.

As a trainee I had a couple as clients who had problems with the constructor company when building their house and the amounts involved were ridiculous compared to the amount of time I had to work on their case so we simply billed something like 10% of the actual fees and the rest was pro bono !

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
^^^I have white gold pieces that I wear frequently. I have had them for many years and they have not yellowed. I don't presume to know what happened in this instance, but "research" is not likely to answer the OP's concerns. The expertise of the IA seems to be of most importance at this time.

ayala_jessica

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/11/2007 12:46:25 PM

Jessica,

Even in Switzerland?!
That''s disheartening.

I love my job. Pay and all. I actually get home for dinner most nights. I love my job, love my job, love my job.

yes Gypsy I do agree sometimes it really is...Especially when you are a trainee and you do the whole job but you are paid 2k a month (and still pay taxes !!)

2.gif
Better have a husband or parents to help you out during internship otherwise you just don''t make it...But that is how it is.

Anyway, now that I succeeded my bar exams, I intend on working as in-house lawyer in a bank or so and have a good pay and still get decent timetable (ie. not coming home every day at 9 or 10 pm !)
1.gif

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Gee, with all the attorneys here, I''m surprised that no one has mentioned warranty law.

There are express warranties and implied warranties.

If a ring set is made, and the implied use is that they are going to be worn as a set, there is an implied warranty for fitness that unless its disclaimed in the sales documents, is pretty standard that it exists.

In plain language, a product has to be good for use in its obvious purpose.

Every case however, is unique. With the situation of the gold yellowing, exposure to different chemicals, or bodily acid levels could be the cause but rhodium plating it again is minor, and probably considered as a maintenence issue.

As to the diamonds chipping, that is a bit "strange" that one diamond that was set securely was the cause of damaging several others. As Julie mentioned there may be a situation due to the rings/diamonds making contact with each other due to shifting on a non "perfectly" round finger. However, I think this would occur in more people, than not. Everyone''s fingers change sizes with weather, and two rings made to be worn with each other, should be checked by the manufacturer or the seller to ascertain, if by reasonable tolerances, that the ring/diamonds will not cause self destruction in a normal wear situation.

As to rt''s comment about him not being an expert and the seller being one, that definately has a basis in case law. Someone "in the business" does have a sometimes potentially unfair advantage over a novice customer. The test is what would a reasonable person not being affected in this matter think?

It will be interesting to see the conclusions made by an independent expert. I do ponder however, if these are made without the finger in question also being present to judge any "tilt" ramifications, if it can be totally conclusive.

It may however be possible through microscopic analysis, to see what metal imperfections occured in the wearing of the rings at issue. Percussion markings, that can cause "problems" are common, and sometimes the wearer doesn''t realize it.

Just yesterday, I looked at a ring that had five percussion marks in it. All were in different locations on the ring. The ring was 2 weeks old and the customer insisted she hadn''t hit it on anything. Were they caused in the short time it was worn or was it delivered that way at the time of purchase? It was an 18karat ring, so the metal is rather "soft" - and the customer stated that they looked at the condition of the ring when they purchased it and there were no marks.

This was one situation where you couldn''t make a conclusion, but more likely the little markings were made in wearing it.

Then there is the consideration in RT''s situation of how long is a "warranty" supposed to last?

Hopefully, he has insurance coverage, that will at least reimburse his expenses in getting the ring remade, or at least providing partial funding, for him to get a platinum one, paying the difference in cost.

Hope this helps. Looking forward to hearing about the appraiser''s conclusion report.

Rockdoc

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2007 1:25:10 PM

Jessica,

Even in Switzerland?!
Yes Harriet, I would say even more in Switzerland...Actually in most of continental Europe (British Common Law is quite different) it is forbidden by all the ''us and coutumes'' of the different bars and now even by the European Lawyers deontology codex for the attorneys to be paid exclusively with a percentage of the money disputed in the claim in case of success in court. That means that we are obliged to work on timesheets and to bill the client no matter if the case is eventually won or not...which means also that except with clients that are big companies or wealthy private clients, the average client can''t pay for the entire time you work on his case so you generally have to lower sometimes considerably the fees and you can''t compensate for that loss when the case is won. The thing is that small cases demand often the same or more amount of time than big cases, hence the loss.

The only adjustment that is possible is to make prior to the litigation a ''pactum de palmario'' in agreement with the client which boils down simply to a reduction of the fee per hour for the work done during the case and up to the time the judgment is issued and in case of success, to get a small percentage (not more than 10% I think) of the money won by the client in court.

As a trainee I had a couple as clients who had problems with the constructor company when building their house and the amounts involved were ridiculous compared to the amount of time I had to work on their case so we simply billed something like 10% of the actual fees and the rest was pro bono !
Jessica,
If you don''t already have it, good luck on finding your dream in-house job!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2007 7:59:26 PM
Now? None. I''m working as a Contracts Attorney. In house. I LOVE it. Norm for NJ was 2100 a year. I almost CRIED when I found out that the norm for Washington State (Portland) was 1800... then I tried my HARDEST to get out there. LOL.

Oh. AND I should say that at my current job... I took a large paycut. And I work 10-12 hour days when the job demands it. And it does at times.

Better than endless days sleep in the office for 4 hours though.
ooh I wish you were here!! but next I''m visiting my dad we should try to meet up :) Lawyer professionals aren''t the only group that gets stiffed in the pay/hours dept. My husband worked as a tech while going to school and while he makes more now as an engineer, the actual per hour difference isn''t all that much. As a tech he worked his hours and went home or got paid overtime... now he puts in 10, 12, 14, even 16 hour days regularly and its all the same pay. Okay so it''s *rarely* 10 and usually 12. And yes, I know it could be worse. When he was in nuke school in the military he was putting in 90 hours. Talk about a honeymoon - not!!!! And we won''t even discuss *that* pay lmao!!!

ayala_jessica

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/11/2007 2:33:36 PM

Date: 2/11/2007 1:25:10 PM

Jessica,

Even in Switzerland?!
Yes Harriet, I would say even more in Switzerland...Actually in most of continental Europe (British Common Law is quite different) it is forbidden by all the ''us and coutumes'' of the different bars and now even by the European Lawyers deontology codex for the attorneys to be paid exclusively with a percentage of the money disputed in the claim in case of success in court. That means that we are obliged to work on timesheets and to bill the client no matter if the case is eventually won or not...which means also that except with clients that are big companies or wealthy private clients, the average client can''t pay for the entire time you work on his case so you generally have to lower sometimes considerably the fees and you can''t compensate for that loss when the case is won. The thing is that small cases demand often the same or more amount of time than big cases, hence the loss.

The only adjustment that is possible is to make prior to the litigation a ''pactum de palmario'' in agreement with the client which boils down simply to a reduction of the fee per hour for the work done during the case and up to the time the judgment is issued and in case of success, to get a small percentage (not more than 10% I think) of the money won by the client in court.

Jessica,
If you don''t already have it, good luck on finding your dream in-house job!
Thank you Harriet ! I am working on it now
1.gif

rtbrown19

Rough_Rock
Unfortunately, it does not appear that this matter will be amicably resolved. I have amended my original post at the direction of Brian Gavin, owner of Whiteflash. In this connection, I received the following from Brian this morning:

As for your posts on the Pricescope forum:

When telling your tale to the public you failed to report your design changes, our long deliberations, the photo you sent as the basis for this design and your assurances that “(she) will not mind small gaps.” You also failed to report our goodwill offer. This statement is of particular concern: If these issues are reconciled by the vendor, I certainly will amend this post to reflect same. At the other (end) of the spectrum, you all will know exactly which online vendor I am talking about if things do not get reconciled soon.

Mr. Brown, I must tell you that omission of significant facts, failure to report our offer to assist you fairly and the threat of “revealing” our company if we do not meet your demands appears to be an attempt at leverage on the forum. In fact, you don’t need to say who we are there; the appearance of our photos is quite well-known. In short, we alerted you to the problem and made a goodwill offer to assist you as a valued client. In turn you are threatening to “blacklist” us. This does not leave a good taste in my mouth as I entertain a continued relationship with you. I would like to hear your response.

With regard to Mr. Gavin''s comments, I note:

1) In order to avoid further inference that I am leveraging or acting in an underhanded manner on this forum, I have changed the post to reflect the appropriate names.

2) Although I was upset when initially posting (and I remain frustrated at WF''s refusal to answer simple questions about the design and damage to the rings), the facts I presented are accurate. I have no obligation to paint Whiteflash in the most sympathetic light. That being said, I was unaware that other experienced posters would recognize the photos and immediately link my post to whiteflash. Candidly, I thought that I was taking the prudent course in protecting Whiteflash''s name by not mentioning the vendor or individuals by name when I did not yet have sufficient information to intelligently discuss the issues presented by Leon in our 2/8/07 conversation. Further, I imagine that a majority of "rough rock" online ering buyers had no idea that I was talking about Whiteflash.

3) As stated in my original post, in February 06 we sent back the original wedding band/ring because my wife did not like the curve (and paid a fee to do so). We did deliberate for nearly two months over options presented by WF.

4) In reviewing options for the band, my wife requested that WF suggest something that would sit flush with the ering.

5) In March 06, we attached a photo of an eternity set to Bob and Leon asking this exact line of questions, "Can you give me your thoughts on this? Is this a ring/band combination that you can do? Would the diamond band need a small curve around the bottom prong? Any help that you can provide would be greatly appreciated." In response, Bob and Leon called and indicated that WF could make a custom wedding/ering set and recommended that we do so in order to avoid a curve in the wedding band. Based upon WF''s recommendation, we made the choice noted above.

6) Apparently, in March 06, in response to his comment that the rings would never sit flush/flush and there would be small gaps between them (to protect the diamonds???), I indicated that “(my wife) will not mind small gaps between the ring and band when worn.” Apparrently, Brian believes that by stating the above, we assumed the liability for the design and damage to the ring set. ????

7) Despite Brian''s comment, no goodwill offer has ever been made by WF other than Leon''s statement that WF would consider making some concession on the price to remake the custom ring set. I received no response from WF when I pressed for a specific % or $ amount.

8) The rings are being sent to a pricescope approved appraiser near us to review. I will keep you apprised of developments.

Ryan

BTW - now you can accuse me of "going all lawyer"...

BrianTheCutter

Shiny_Rock
We are typically silent on issues like these because in many cases the plaintiff is representing things fairly. Even when the story is told incorrectly no company wants to be seen as the ‘bully’ disputing a clients’ claims in public.

My letter included references to Pricescope because the client drew my attention to posts on this forum, indicating he had received advice via a “70+ response forum post on Pricescope." In the interest of accurate reporting I will reproduce my own letter to the client; complete and in-context.

I have reviewed your situation, both here and on the Pricescope forum where you solicited advice. Today I personally inspected your rings.

(1) My expert analysis:

We have sold thousands of rhodium-plated WG rings made by Stuller as well as our own pieces. All three rings you returned - hers as well as the one from Stuller - have had the rhodium plating worn-off. Two completely different manufacturers, same result in only eight months. The physical activity necessary to cause this wear in the allotted time frame is heavier than normal. This is why my production manager said it was ‘unique.’

Regarding the design; please remember you originally requested a curved band to fit a solitaire. We created this for you but on delivery your lady wanted something different. We deliberated and your communications stated “flush-flush” as a priority many times. In accordance to this we identified different examples but they were not suitable to you. Finally you sent in the attached photo as a model.

It was different than concepts we’d discussed in prior weeks. Bob Hoskins informed you that such a design can encounter rubbing issues (it is standard practice to discuss this). Your e-mail back stated “(she) will not mind small gaps between the ring and band when worn.” With this understanding we made the rings as requested and delivered them to you.

Eight months have now passed. These rings were in perfect condition when they went out. I cannot possibly know what has transpired in the time they have been worn. My professional opinion is that whatever circumstances caused the rhodium plating to wear away on two different manufacturers’ products are more than normal. I assume that this is a result of heavy wear and tear. People wear jewelry in different manners. Some are rougher on their pieces than others. This is similar to driving a brand new car off the lot and coming back 8 months later expecting the dealership to repair the dents and scratches.

I would like to remind you that we were the ones who contacted you to advise you of the damage. A company trying to avoid responsibility would never have alerted you to it. Instead we told you our findings immediately and, as an extra measure of our goodwill, offered to absorb some of the repair costs to restore the jewelry. We also suggested solutions in case this kind of wear will continue. We did these things in the interest of client-vendor relations; we were under no obligation to put them forward.

(2) As for your posts on the Pricescope forum:

When telling your tale to the public you failed to report your design changes, our long deliberations, the photo you sent as the basis for this design and your assurances that “(she) will not mind small gaps.” You also failed to report our goodwill offer. This statement is of particular concern: >

Mr. Brown, I must tell you that omission of significant facts, failure to report our offer to assist you fairly and the threat of “revealing” our company if we do not meet your demands appears to be an attempt at leverage on the forum. In fact, you don’t need to say who we are there; the appearance of our photos is quite well-known. In short, we alerted you to the problem and made a goodwill offer to assist you as a valued client. In turn you are threatening to “blacklist” us. This does not leave a good taste in my mouth as I entertain a continued relationship with you. I would like to hear your response.

Yours sincerely,

Brian Gavin >>

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi Ryan, this is SUCH a supreme drag!

You sound like a reasonable guy and I am so dismayed to hear you are having these problems with WF. I have had nothing but positive experiences with them - Brian, John, and Traci have all been very respectful and courteous with me. I am so surrprised to hear about your experience and I'm really sorrry this is happening.

I think Brian left the door open for you with his mention of a "goodwill" gesture. Perhaps there was a miscommuncation somehow? If I were you, I would try to resolve this as quickly and amicably as possible. You probably are extremely frustrated, but please resist confrontation.

It sounds like you need a long-term solution. Maybe now is a good time to cut your losses and switch to platinum settings by a commercial designer like Scott Kay or Ritani. If the rings are yellowing, they will probably continue to do so throughout their life, just by virtue of body chemistry. It might be nice to use the diamond sidestones for something else, like a diamonds-by-the-yard necklace.

I just don't get the feeling that you will ever be able to reach a clean resolution in your own mind, so I'd hate to see you banging your head against a wall. Please don't be offended, but I'd like to offer a reality check. Brian's post sounds reasonable - not obnoxious nor argumentative. It sounds like there might be a "personality conflict" or something because to an outsider reading Brian's post, Brian sounds very fair.

It's really up to you at this point. Good luck!

Murr4168

Shiny_Rock
Ryan,
Best of luck in trying to get all of this resolved. Hopefully there is a solution to be reached that makes everyone happy (or at least satisfied).

This post makes me very nervous about purchasing a setting where both bands are shared prong. Can this setting just not ever be safe? Will this always happen? I thought I''d read that WF had been able to engineer their settings so that this won''t occur? And Signed Pieces assures me that only the metal will touch. I''m just not sure it''s worth it....which is sad to me because this is the only type of setting I can say that I love.
7.gif
Anyway, sorry to hijack your thread. Good Luck!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see no way for this to be resolved fairly until the appraiser gives his evaluation of the rings. Every jeweler will have an occasional complaint, and it must be very scary for them to see posts come up here while the situation is in process. I hope the appraiser will be able to make a firm evaluation of the cause of the damage, and that both sides can be satisfied with the outcome. However, this should reinforce for new people that it is very important to get your rings insured!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results