shape
carat
color
clarity

Help - serious problems with popular online vendor

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rtbrown19

Rough_Rock
I apologize for the length of this post; however, I think that the chronology of events is important in understanding the extent of my frustration with Whiteflash. I am looking for some guidance on how best to address the situation with WF as well as any general comments from the experts regarding the problems we are having with the rings.

In May 2005, I bought the following engagement ring from WF, based in part upon the many positive reviews I read about WF's customer service: Round 2.01 E SI1 for $21,448 + the 18kt white gold 6-prong tiffany setting = $21,603.

In January 2006, we purchased our wedding bands from the same vendor. My wife chose the following band: 7-stone band in 18kt white gold using 0.25 pointers (F/G color and VS/SI1 clarity) for $3190.

Unfortunately, after the band arrived, my wife did not like that there was a curve in the wedding band (around the solitaire). She wanted the wedding ring and ering to be flush. Accordingly, we chose to return the 7-stone band (and incur the $550 restocking fee). We provided WF with a picture of an eternity set and ask about something similar. In March 2006, at the suggestion of Bob Hoskins (master gemologist appraiser) and Leon Rocha (jeweler), we had the following custom engagement/wedding ring set made: custom 18kt white gold engagement/wedding ring set to contain a 2ct round diamond that is 6-prong set and having shared prong set diamonds (17 x 0.15ct diamonds) half way around each ring and to fit close together. The total cost of the engagement/wedding ring set was $4,799.

My wife loved the engagement/wedding ring set, and we were married in May 2006. I was so pleased with the work of the vendor that I purchased diamond earrings for my wife as a wedding present ($9,346 for 2.01tkw). I also left positive feedback for the vendor on this website and gave a testimonial.

Fast forward to December 2006: while in French Polynesia on our honeymoon, my wife noticed that her engagement rings had yellowed considerably in a matter of days. After a quick comparison, it appeared that all three of our 18kt white gold rings had yellowed badly while on the honeymoon. IGNORE THIS ISSUE

On January 10, 2007, I contacted the vendor to discuss the discoloration (and causes for same). At the vendor's request, on January 17, 2007, I sent the engagement ring to the vendor for inspection. Subsequently, we were informed that the vendor would put a new coat of rhodium plating on the rings. Of relevance to the "normal wear and tear" angle, my wife is a principal of a middle school with no/limited trauma to her hands.

Notwithstanding the discoloration issue, the real problems began on January 24, 2007 . . .

On January 24, 2007, I received an email from the vendor advising that "[w]e have been notified by both our Production team and the Independent Appraiser that your ring was received back with 5 of the diamonds chipped." Attached to the email was an invoice for $1,100. Given that the ring was less than 9 months old, I was extremely disturbed to receive the above email, and I immediately wrote back the following:

Obviously, I am concerned the diamonds are chipped in only 8 months of wear (and, given the number of diamonds that need to be replaced, that diamonds on the band likely are chipped as well). Accordingly, I have some questions for you:
Are the diamonds in the engagement ring being chipped by the diamonds in the band (and vice versa)?
Is this a usual problem with this type of ring/band configuration?
Will this continue to happen on a regular basis?
If this is an anticipated problem, should I have been apprised of same before agreeing to the configuration?
If this is not an anticipated problem, is this the result of a flaw in the design process?

Later that evening, I received an email requesting that I send back both of our wedding bands as well. I mailed the bands on January 25, 2007, and received a confirmation of receipt from the vendor on January 29, 2007. To date, I have not received written responses to the above queries.

On February 5, 2007, my wife wrote an extensive email to the vendor demanding additional information about the problems with the rings and looking for a timeline for the fix and return of the rings; she remains absolutely distraught to be without her ring or band (approaching one month without the engagement ring, with no return date set). I understand that on the afternoon of the 5th she was told by the vendor that the rings would be fixed and returned by the end of the month.

Today, I was informed by the vendor's jeweler that no timeline for the return of the rings has been established. Instead, I was told that the band also contains a damaged stone (and that stone has caused the damage on the five other diamonds (when the two rings slide/collide)). The jeweler verbally indicated that this type of damage is very uncommon; however, we was adamant that there is no design flaw in the set (related to the one diamond on the band that has caused all of the damage).

The jeweler simply said that the damage to the rings likely is the result of the "unique" way that my wife wears her rings (the "wear and tear" argument pushing blame on us while disclaiming any problems on the design/creation end) . . . and he indicated that we would need to change the design or sodder the rings together in order to try to prevent similar damage in the future.

In concluding the conversation, the jeweler indicated that the vendor would consider making some "concessions" on the price to fix/remake the rings, but that I would responsible for the bulk of the cost.
29.gif
I reminded him that 1) we had purchased the rings less than 1 year earlier, 2) we went with his recommendation on the design of the set, and 3) I am a lawyer in Chicago with many legal contacts in his city . . . but he did not budge and simply said that he would wait to hear back from us regarding how to proceed with the repair/replacement/remake of the rings.

Obviously, I am shocked to have to be dealing with these issues less than a year after purchasing the rings. Also, I am disappointed by the vendor's general customer service in addressing our concerns. I am looking for any advice from those of you that sell diamonds online or anyone who has had similar problems . . . how would you address this situation from my end? from the vendor's side?

Why did the rings yellow so quickly?

Should I have been informed about the possibility of chipped diamonds in this style of wedding/engagement ring set?

Shouldn't the vendor pay for the repairs/replacement?

Should I take legal action against the vendor?

Am I taking crazy pills?

Ryan

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Why did the rings yellow so quickly?
--You mentioned you guys were in FP when you both noticed the rings yellowing. And it seems like all the rings yellowed together? Yet the e-ring was a year older than the w-rings? Anything happen prior to that trip or during the trip which might have damaged the rhodium plating and caused the yellow to show through? White gold and rhodium plating is not damage-proof...even platinum supposedly should not be introduced to certain chemicals according to some experts (aka I think chlorine)...in terms of WHY it happened, who knows..but rhodium plating is not meant to last forever and many jewelers do tell you that you will have to have it replated. I have known people who needed replating within a few years and some who really never did. But the fact that you guys noticed it on the trip AND they were all yellowing together makes me think it might have been some certain occurrence that caused it, chemical reaction or similar and not the fault of the original plating.

Should I have been informed about the possibility of chipped diamonds in this style of wedding/engagement ring set?
--What kind of style is it? A newish style maybe at the time? Possibly there was no real background with basis to 'warn' you about the set's durability at that time? I know that the shared prong settings have been much discussed on here previously in the last year or so, because they CAN rub against each other and the diamonds can damage each other. Signed Pieces is one vendor who has I think had this issue in the past as well. People HAVE returned settings. If you have a shared prong kind of eternity set I would not be shocked at all to hear that stones are chipping. I have friends who have gotten shared prongish settings and used spacer bars to prevent this as well. On one hand you might think 'okay the vendor should have warned us' but on the other, what if they didn't know at the time? Or maybe some of the onus is on the consumer to do the research on what they are buying?

Shouldn't the vendor pay for the repairs/replacement?
--Why should they? I'm not saying they should or shouldn't but why do YOU think they should? You have had the total set for about a year now (a few months shy?). The e-ring for even longer. Who really knows what kind of daily wear and tear happens to rings...I'm not saying that you guys did anything wrong, but if you are the vendor, and someone returns their rings a year later...the vendor has no idea what has been happening to the ring for the year it's been out of their care. Why would they offer to pay for it when the w-rings are almost a year old and the e-ring is older? I think it's fair for them to say 'well give you a discount' kinda thing and you might also want to take precautions so that the rings don't rub each other (spacer ring or whatever) in the future so that you don't have to deal with chipped diamonds again.

Should I take legal action against the vendor?
--Again why? You mention you are a lawyer so I would imagine that might be the 'natural' kind of thing for you to think about when you feel you've been wronged...but I would stop for a second and see things from both ends. Of course this has been horrible for both you and your wife! What an ordeal..for sure. But the vendor also has their own company to protect. They had a happy customer who a year later came back with rings that needed rhodium plating, had chipped diamonds and doesn't want to pay for it. Seems like both sides might be kind of a little heated or 'thinking they are right' at this time? In any case...I would see if you guys can come to an amicable solution...both sides might have to give a bit before that happens but I would try to keep a cool head and not think about legal action just yet. I honestly don't think the vendor is out of line from what you have said so far. If it were me and my rings, I probably would just tend to think that *I* did something to cause the rhodium coming off, and I'd do a little research on the setting I have and see if lots of others have had issues and how they handled the situation and maybe go from there.

Am I taking crazy pills?
--Well that one I can't answer!! hehee.
3.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't like to get into these problems with vendor threads.

Different white gold alloys yellow differently on different people's body chemistry. Nothing you can do about it. Rhodium plating is common and accepted practice on white gold.

No, the vendor should not pay for damage unless it was a workmanship issue.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2007 6:36:29 PM
Author: JulieN

Different white gold alloys yellow differently on different people''s body chemistry. Nothing you can do about it. Rhodium plating is common and accepted practice on white gold.

I agree with Julie. I cannot wear WG because it yellows very quickly on me. My sister had her wedding set less than a year and it started yellowing, doesnt'' like her body chemistry either, she has to have it plated once a year.

If it were me, i''d probably just to find a compromise that would be fair but make me happy. It''s not their necessarily fault WG has yellowed but maybe they would work with you or give you a discount on a platinum setting? Was the wedding band a shared prong wedding band where the girdles were exposed?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today is not a good day for custom ring makers, that''s for sure!

Regarding the rhodium plating, that varies from person to person. As Mara said, it could have been something like pool chemicals that caused it to deteriorate too soon. Other than that, it did seem kind of soon for that to happen.

But I am going to have to agree with the rtbrown that there''s no way all those stones should be chipped. That sounds like a design problem to me. Are the rings insured? I believe I''d be turning in a claim for the settings of both rings and start over with platinum.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
WG yellows, to varying degrees, not at all on some people. My first set I wore for 24 years. If it ever had Rhodium redone on it, it was once, but I kinda doubt it. It never really yellowed.

I got an upgrade 10 months ago, WG, it needs dipped already. Discouraging yes, but it happens. I''ve read gals on here who have had a ring yellow in 3 months...

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2007 6:41:18 PM
Author: mrssalvo

Date: 2/8/2007 6:36:29 PM
Author: JulieN

Different white gold alloys yellow differently on different people''s body chemistry. Nothing you can do about it. Rhodium plating is common and accepted practice on white gold.

I agree with Julie. I cannot wear WG because it yellows very quickly on me. My sister had her wedding set less than a year and it started yellowing, doesnt'' like her body chemistry either, she has to have it plated once a year.

If it were me, i''d probably just to find a compromise that would be fair but make me happy. It''s not their necessarily fault WG has yellowed but maybe they would work with you or give you a discount on a platinum setting? Was the wedding band a shared prong wedding band where the girdles were exposed?
Ditto, my whitegold engagement ring yellowed after about 3 months because of my skin and I there is nothing wrong with the ring itself. However, as far as the other stuff goes...I''m really not sure who is to blame, etc.

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I can't speak to the chipped stones, but I can tell you from personal experience that my 18k white gold started turning yellowish after less than two months of wear. It's at the jewelers now being rhodium plated. I think my problem is that I was using too stong of an ammonia solution in my ultrasonic cleaner in my quest to keep the ring sparkling clean!

I have decided that if it yellows again soon, I will replace it with platinum!

MeddlingKids

Shiny_Rock
When I started reading your post, I assumed you were part of the legal profession.
1.gif
As I'm sure you are well aware, this situation has the potential to get quite messy. In order to demonstrate fault on the jeweler's end, you will need to prove that the damage to the rings was not due to your wife's negligence. When she's wearing the engagement ring and wedding band, can she contort her finger in a way that would cause the diamonds to cause damage to eachother?

Being a lawyer, I imagine you would have access to discounted (if not free) legal fees if you decided to pursue legal action against this vendor. But, I would consider consulting with a few other expert jewelers to get their opinion before you proceed. While some might suggest paying the fee to have the jeweler fix the ring and moving on, I do not think this would spell the end of your problem. The rings were either designed incorrectly or were worn inappropriately. The repairs you described will not likely solve either of these underlying issues. (I'm assuming you are not considering soldering the two rings together).

In any event, please keep us posted. Your findings could potentially enlighten numerous posters on this forum.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I can't answer all of your questions, but I will say this.

My rings are 18K white gold and I've had my e-ring replated twice in the year I've owned it. The first time was to cover up scratches and the second was because the jeweler used diluted rhodium and the yellow gold started showing through immediately. I purchased wg with the understanding that it does require upkeep and that it is absolutely my responsibility to do so.

As for the chipping issue, there isn't enough information for me to comment. Having said that, I don't think it's the responsibility of a jeweler to eat the cost when your wife has been wearing the rings for almost a year. It seems like that would be the same as purchasing a pot and then expecting Calphalon to replace it because it got scratched during use. If there is faulty workmanship involved that's a different story. I am not a diamond expert, but I would not choose a set in which diamonds could rub against each other without purchasing a spacer ring.

Threatening a law suit at the outset of this issue seems a bit much to me. The fact that the persons you spoke with "didn't budge" says to me that they feel they are doing the right thing.

kev_800

Shiny_Rock
I too would be upset. Being an attorney, you already know this, but you need to examine your sales documents to determine whether you have any warranty on the product.

At this point you''re probably best off getting the pieces re-set into a ring that will be more durable in terms of wear...

But if they''re being recalcitrant, that shows that they don''t have your best interests at heart.... and there is nothing wrong of telling everyone of your experience so they avoid the same problem.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Mara. It is strange that they all yellowed at once. Since you noticed yellowing in all 3 rings at once, while on your honeymoon, might you have been sitting in a chlorinated pool/hot tub? Anyway, having them replated is no big deal. Some people have to replate theirs quite often. The #1 reason why I prefer platinum.

fatkid

Rough_Rock
this is a lame post.

doing the slightest bit of homework would have clued you in on the relative ease in which whitegold can yellow.

and i second KimberlyH analogy regarding the pots...

come on.

-r.

bosoxbw

Rough_Rock
This sounds much more like an insurance problem than a legal problem. At the least that would be a much cleaner resolution. But something tells me that as a lawyer you probably know that, so maybe the rings are not insured?

Edit: If insurance is not an option, it seems plausible there is a reasonable mutual agreement to be made.

widget

Ideal_Rock
SIX damaged stones in how many months??? Unless your wife works in heavy construction, it certainly sounds like a problem with the wedding set.

AT THE VERY LEAST you should have been warned BEFOREHAND that shared prong unsoldered bands are more vulnerable to damage.

I''d be mad, too.
widget

rtbrown19

Rough_Rock
I appreciate the feedback.

All three rings yellowed differently, but we believe that the majority of the discoloration occurred on the honeymoon. (My wife keeps her rings in a jewelry box next to various other pieces (including the earrings that also are in 18kt WG). Upon our return, the difference in color between the rings and jewelry that stayed in Chicago was drastic.)

The rings are insured.

I have attached the molds of the set that were sent to us. I will attach the pictures of the damaged rings shortly.

wax ring set.jpg

ILikeBond

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/8/2007 7:32:28 PM
Author: fatkid
this is a lame post.

doing the slightest bit of homework would have clued you in on the relative ease in which whitegold can yellow.

and i second KimberlyH analogy regarding the pots...

come on.

-r.
Even if you think so, there''s no reason to
29.gif
people, or take the patronizing tone you do here.

While the responses seem to debunk the likelihood of vendor''s fault in the yellowing of the rings, the OP identified a number of other issues, not all of which I believe can be categorically dismissed as his/their fault and problem.

For instance, the OP noted that the vendor has not responded to his January 24 email asking several questions about the situation. That, in my book, is not an acceptable business practice. If the vendor had good answers to the questions, it should have been especially diligent in responding. Then, look at the responses the OP actually did get from the vendor - damage to the diamonds was caused by the "unique way the woman wears her ring" - HUH??
33.gif
I have racked my brain and can only think of two ways to wear a ring - frontwards and backwards.

I''m also perplexed why the vendor would invoice the OP $1,100 upon supposedly recieving 6 chipped diamonds (wouldn''t you have to agree to replace them before the vendor charges you for them?), apparently none of which the OP and his wife noticed (how many people on these boards wouldn''t notice 6 chipped diamonds?).

I''m also suspicious of the vendor''s conflicting advice that the damage here is "very uncommon," but that, even so, in this case it is not a design flaw. That''s what we lawyers call a self-serving statement, and I don''t think without more information the OP or any of us should be forced to simply accept the representaiton as true. It would therefore be helpful for the OP to post photos of the rings in order for us all to be able to determine whether there are potentially design flaws. Simply put, there''s not enough information for any of us to really fully assess the situation solely on the basis of the OP''s comments, and there''s no good reason to be forced to take the vendor at its word (there''s also no good reason to believe the vendor is lying - the point is there is a dearth of information).

There''s more here to the story, and the OP has some legitimate issues and concerns. I think this type of dismissiveness is wrong, and worse, unproductive on a forum that is here for the benefit of consumer education and advocacy.

rtbrown19

Rough_Rock
Here is a picture of the engagement ring noting some of the chips. I do not have pictures of the chipped stone on the wedding band, but I was told today that the band has one stone (second from the end) that appears to be the only stone rubbing/touching the engagement ring stones (and causing the damage).

Also, in fairness to the negative comments about my original post, I should have left out the yellowing/discoloration issue.

Again, I appreciate your feedback.

chipped stones(2).jpg

rtbrown19

Rough_Rock
the other side of the ring

damaged ring.jpg

ILikeBond

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/8/2007 8:26:57 PM
Author: rtbrown19
Here is a picture of the engagement ring noting some of the chips. I do not have pictures of the chipped stone on the wedding band, but I was told today that the band has one stone (second from the end) that appears to be the only stone rubbing/touching the engagement ring stones (and causing the damage).

Also, in fairness to the negative comments about my original post, I should have left out the yellowing/discoloration issue.

Again, I appreciate your feedback.
I''m no engineer, but it sounds like it was designed and/or set 9/10 ths the right way.
38.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looking at those pictures, to me it''s evident that the vendor should have either: a) warned you about the potential rubbing problem and told you it was your responsibility, b) created more metal so that the diamonds didn''t rub, or c) advised you to use a spacer band to prevent the problem.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
The problem is the ring, not in the UNIQUE way your wife wore the ring. The ering and wedding band must have rubbed against eachother causing the chips. Last thing you want is diamonds rubbing against diamonds, that is a recipe for disaster. The discoloration is easily managed with Rhodium plating, so that is less of an issue to me at least.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
rtbrown19 and ILikeBrown,

I have nothing constructive to add, but am curious as to what cause of action one who have in such a situation (I''m not a litigator).

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ryan -

I''m a lawyer and here''s how I''d advise you if you were my client. This assumes that finding a solution is your primary goal.

Yellowing - Mara is right. Something happened in FP - pool chemicals or something but the rings aren''t defective. Get them rhodium replated at your cost. And be aware that claiming the rings were defective because of this might have gotten the process headed in the wrong direction.

Chipped diamonds - First, be glad your vendor told you about the problem. Remember you were only contacting them about the discoloration. As to the chipped diamonds, I don''t know if there is a design issue here or not. You and your wife are upset, which is understandable but you haven''t tried to solve the problem in a collaborative manner.

You sent an e-mail immediately without taking a chance to calm down. And you got kind of accusatory at the end which doesn''t usually go over very well. They said send back the rings and you did. They got them on January 29. You didn''t hear from them right away so on Feb. 5 your wife sent a long e-mail "demanding" (your word) answers. Also not a great strategy. This is the most important thing to both of you, which is also understandable, but have you ever stopped to think that Valentine''s Day is coming up? This is the vendor''s busiest time with a lot of people''s dreams and expectations on the line.

You then have a telephone conversation where, based on what you said, didn''t go very well and you at some point said you are a lawyer and have lots of legal contacts in Chicago. Also not a great move. Threatening legal action sometimes works, sometimes it pushes things in the opposite direction. That''s what happened here but you may still be able to fix this.

Then here''s what I''d tell you to do:

Call up whoever you talked to before and say the following: "I''m sorry about our last phone call. I know it''s a really busy time of the year for you. It''s just that this is so upsetting to my wife who really loves her rings and I want to make things right for her. I really need your help to figure out how to do that. Do we need to change the rings or is there something else we can do?" Then let them off the solution. See what they say. Don''t go all "lawyer" on them. Once there is a solution, work with them to figure out how the cost should be handled. Stuff happens. No one is trying to screw you over. Make this phone call and apologize for getting angry even though you may not be wrong. You won''t want to do it, but suing someone long distance from Chicago is not a solution.

And buy your wife a temporary wedding ring or other jewelry gift for Valentine''s Day. It doesn''t have to be elaborate. Just something to let her know you love her and want her to be happy.

Good luck.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gosh,
That is awful; I am sorry.

FatKid; they should ban you from posting. You are no help and you have not been a help in the past with vendor problems.
8.gif

ILikeBond

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/8/2007 8:39:17 PM
Author: Harriet
rtbrown19 and ILikeBrown,

I have nothing constructive to add, but am curious as to what cause of action one who have in such a situation (I''m not a litigator).
Just off the top of my head, I could see causes of action for negligence (in setting the ring(s) and/or failing to warn), and for breach of the implied warranty of merchantability. Maybe even a contract action depending on how the sale and purchase were conducted.

Of course, the likelihood of success on any of these claims, or any additional ones, would be highly fact dependent, and we probably don''t know enough from the limited information here to make that determination in any sort of good-faith way. If there were a lawsuit, it seems it''d be ripe for settlement given the probable "he said / she said" nature of this, and the difficulty in proving or disproving negligence.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I feel that it should be common knowledge that 2 rings with diamond girdles rubbing against each other = chipping. I don't see how it is the vendor's fault. Did they guarantee that the settings were safe to wear together? I have a 3 sided diamond e-ring and a eternity band wedding band. I would never wear them beside each other. I know some people do have diamond rings against diamond rings but I think they are asking for trouble in doing so, especially over the long haul.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I don't have much to add, but just wanted to say that I am sorry you are going through this situation. I hope that it can be resolved soon!
Also, to echo the others, I would not worry about the yellowing - this seems common with white gold and can be remedied pretty easily and inexpensively. Last time I had a ring rhodium plated it took less than an hour and cost about $35.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2007 9:37:41 PM
Author: jazmine
I feel that it should be common knowledge that 2 rings with diamond girdles rubbing against each other = chipping. I don't see how it is the vendor's fault. Did they guarantee that the settings were safe to wear together? I have a 3 sided diamond e-ring and a eternity band wedding band. I would never wear them beside each other. I know some people do have diamond rings against diamond rings but I think they are asking for trouble in doing so, especially over the long haul.
I disagree with this. It may be common knowledge around here, but certainly not in the general public.

The vendor (jeweler?) recommended these rings as a "wedding set". I think they should have been designed differently, or the client should have been cautioned about their vulnerability. Such an oversight wouldn't be unusual in a mall chainstore. I think it's a bit surprising in a "highly recommended" online vendor.

JMO
widget

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2007 9:37:41 PM
Author: jazmine
I feel that it should be common knowledge that 2 rings with diamond girdles rubbing against each other = chipping. I don''t see how it is the vendor''s fault. Did they guarantee that the settings were safe to wear together? I have a 3 sided diamond e-ring and a eternity band wedding band. I would never wear them beside each other. I know some people do have diamond rings against diamond rings but I think they are asking for trouble in doing so, especially over the long haul.

around here this is common knowledge but most folks that see eternity wedding sets would assume they are safe to wear. there was a whole thread here back when the 3 sided pave and eternity sets became popular about girdles rubbing. folks were even surprised that designers would sell them as a set and then warn or not warn about potential damage of either of the rings. The vendor made the set and even did a wax so I think rtbrown didn''t do anything wrong by assuming the set would be safe to wear together since the vendor made it and didn''t say it would be a problem. If the stones are chipped, I''d guess the girdles were exposed and I think the vender should replace them and reconstruct the set so the girdles are not touching.
I can dig up thread after thread on this subject b/c I researched it so extensively for my own wedding set but bottom line, girdles shouldn''t be over the metal or be able to bang the ring next to it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results