shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Selecting Princess Cut Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

freddy2005

Rough_Rock
To all that can help,

I''m looking at getting a loose, princess cut diamond from Diamonds.com and having it set in an engagement band that I''ve already purchased. I was looking at the following princess cut diamonds and wanted opinions on which one was the best of the three:

Shape: Princess
Carat: 1.00
Cut: Ideal
Color: E
Clarity: VS2
GIA Certificate: 15250330
Depth: 70.0%
Table: 73.00%
Symmetry: Good
Polish: Very Good
Girdle: Very Thin, Thick
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 5.64mm x 5.64mm x 3.95mm
Price: $4,875.00
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Carat: 1.01
Color: F
Clarity: VS1
GIA Certificate: 15654304
Depth: 70.5%
Table: 72.00%
Girdle: Very Thin
Measurements: 5.61mm x 5.56mm x 3.92mm
Price: $4,911.00
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Carat: 1.01
Color: G
Clarity: VS1
GIA Certificate: 14561168
Depth: 68.3%
Table: 69.00%
Girdle: Extremely Thin, Thin
Measurements: 5.60mm x 5.59mm x 3.82mm
Price: $4,414.00

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry I don''t have the crown height and further detailed information, as the info provided on Diamonds.com is limited. Eitherway, let me know what you all think. Thanks!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not a princess expert, but all 3 have girdles that are very thin, and know that''s something you want to avoid. Very thin girdles are prone to chipping in a princess cut.

freddy2005

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info Kaleigh. Going by the AGA chart for princess cut, I''m trying to get the best quality diamond I can but I can''t forget the details!
2.gif

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/30/2007 3:25:39 PM
Author:freddy2005

....Sorry I don''t have the crown height and further detailed information, as the info provided on Diamonds.com is limited. Eitherway, let me know what you all think. Thanks!
You can say that again.

Ordinarily, I go with the flow of the constraints of posters, and I do note Diamonds.com is a Pricescope advertiser, but...why was it again you wanted to go with them?

They do post on their "Diamond education" portion of their website this info:

"It''s important to note that some independent grading laboratories do not grade a diamond''s cut, while others do. The Gemological Institute of America (GIA), for example, does not give an evaluation of the quality of a diamond''s cut, only the shape and measurements of the stone. It does, however, give the proportions of the diamond (depth and table percentages, girdle thickness, culet size (if any) as well as a general rating of the stone''s finish, including its polish and symmetry."

This info, supposed to be associated with round brilliant diamonds, is more than like a year old. Not unreasonable for Amazon or some no name place...maybe or such...but these guys only do diamonds, right? I think they may only do GIA, too.

Read on this board about AGS certification and princesses. Although Blue Nile, for example, also uses the same ruddy formulas for ideal, at least they offer options from AGS, which actually do purport to be a certifying agency grading princesses for ideal.

Otherwise, as the man says here, I''d be reluctant to advise you on any basis, re those 3.

Regards

freddy2005

Rough_Rock
Thanks Ira. I was looking at Diamonds.com because their prices seemed relatively good given the quality of princess cut diamonds (per the AGA princess cut diamond chart specs that I was using to guide my search). Thus, I was considering diamonds in the 64-75% range for depth and 60-72% range for table when searching. Should I not be doing this because Diamond.com has GIA certified diamonds and I''m using an AGA chart to guide my search?

On another note, I''ve been looking to get a square, princess cut diamond and wondered how high should the symmetry ratio go (i.e. 1.04, 1.05) before my princess cut diamond stops looking square to the naked eye?

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/30/2007 4:49:05 PM
Anonymous Wrote:

Should I not be doing this because Diamond.com has GIA certified diamonds and I'm using an AGA chart to guide my search?

On another note, I've been looking to get a square, princess cut diamond and wondered how high should the symmetry ratio go (i.e. 1.04, 1.05) before my princess cut diamond stops looking square to the naked eye?
See a = b & b = c here. Yes, if you're committed to using AGA charts as you're guide, you're probably fine.

Would I be so committed...no. I think that without either a) a purported expert eye working on your behalf, b) an AGS cert, or c) something like an ASET view...I would not pass go. Again...at least read what AGS has purportedly done for princesses.

Re your other note...see my link above from Garry.

Regards,

P.S. You've become "anonymous," you know...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results