shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Selecting an Oval Diamond!

waystinthyme

Rough_Rock
Hoping to get some advice on diamond selection. Have had some talks with AV, but would like some opinions on traditional ovals from Blue Nile / James Allen for comparison, as size seemed to make a difference while we were ring shopping.

See budget and other info below:

Budget: 8-10k (diamond + band with slight flexibility) -- halo setting will cost $1,400 - $1,800
Color: Preferably a G/H (gf was color sensitive around I/J)
Cut: Excellent/Very Good (would like a diamond that performs well)
Clarity: Eye Clean (gf wasn't overly concerned with bowtie, but I would prefer one that is less prominent)
Carat: 1.2 - 1.5
Ring Size: 5.75 (5.5 fit, but was a little tight)
L/W Ratio: Preferably 1.3 - 1.5

I have the following diamond on hold: https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD11475835

Is this a decent selection? The diamond appears to face up fairly large for it's carat weight. Any concerns with the thick facet?

Other concerns with the way this diamond will perform or alternate options?

Thanks!

Last edited:

waystinthyme

Rough_Rock

Thank you! The first one is a potential contender--do you think the 1.5+ ratio will be too extreme?

A little worried about the effect of 'medium fluorescence' on the second choice, and would prefer not to pay the premium of D/IF on the third.

Appreciate your input!

waystinthyme

Rough_Rock

Thanks, Ty. The first option looks particularly good! Will want to consider the 1.35 vs. 1.41 ratio. Second option looks good too, assuming eye clean.

Any concerns with fluorescence for ovals? I noticed a few of your picks had med - strong.

waystinthyme

Rough_Rock

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Fluorescence isn't something that is bad, it can cause haziness but that is a very rare occurrence.

joelly

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, this is an interesting option, too. Are you familiar with the vendor?

Yes, bought the Hulk from him back in May 2019. Nice guy. Honest and straightforward.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like the first option again here, but have the same question re: fluorescence.

Fluorescence is hardly ever an issue. On rare occasions, Strong Fluorescence may show haziness, or oiliness, in strong sunlight (but very rare).
Let's just say the fluorescence issue has been blown way out of proportion.

If you want a second assurance just ask the vendor to check the stone for any fluorescence issues.

BTW...you can use this site to get an idea of the ratio look on the finger. This is the JA stone I posted and the number 1 stone you posted above.
https://www.diamdb.com/compare/1.2ct-oval-9.13x6.04x3.68-vs-1.21ct-oval-8.48x6.01x3.74/

Capture.PNG

waystinthyme

Rough_Rock
Fluorescence is hardly ever an issue. On rare occasions, Strong Fluorescence may show haziness, or oiliness, in strong sunlight (but very rare).
Let's just say the fluorescence issue has been blown way out of proportion.

If you want a second assurance just ask the vendor to check the stone for any fluorescence issues.

BTW...you can use this site to get an idea of the ratio look on the finger. This is the JA stone I posted and the number 1 stone you posted above.
https://www.diamdb.com/compare/1.2ct-oval-9.13x6.04x3.68-vs-1.21ct-oval-8.48x6.01x3.74/

Capture.PNG

Thanks, this is very helpful!

waystinthyme

Rough_Rock
Took another look today at the oval halo setting options, and definitely prefer the JA setting to the BN setting. Considered buying the diamond online and designing a custom setting, but would prefer to get both from the same place.

Will be taking a closer look at some of the diamond options at JA.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.20-carat-e-color-vs1-clarity-sku-7302104

tyty--I Spoke with a JA chat expert about this option, and he said he couldn't comment on if the fluorescence would affect the diamond in direct sunlight; however, he did share that florescence rarely has any affect. He also recommended a different selection, as he said the table/depth measurements from the GIA report may lead to suboptimal light performance on this diamond.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I like the look of the #2 choice at Blue Nile XXXXXXXX355 Pretty facet pattern.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Took another look today at the oval halo setting options, and definitely prefer the JA setting to the BN setting. Considered buying the diamond online and designing a custom setting, but would prefer to get both from the same place.

Will be taking a closer look at some of the diamond options at JA.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.20-carat-e-color-vs1-clarity-sku-7302104

tyty--I Spoke with a JA chat expert about this option, and he said he couldn't comment on if the fluorescence would affect the diamond in direct sunlight; however, he did share that florescence rarely has any affect. He also recommended a different selection, as he said the table/depth measurements from the GIA report may lead to suboptimal light performance on this diamond.

If you really like this one please place it on hold, the price is very good for the size, color, clarity, and after doing a quick scan I think its a great contender. We have lurkers that could try and snatch it up

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

waystinthyme

Rough_Rock
If you really like this one please place it on hold, the price is very good for the size, color, clarity, and after doing a quick scan I think its a great contender. We have lurkers that could try and snatch it up

Thanks for the heads up! Just put this one on hold! : )

waystinthyme

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the heads up! Just put this one on hold! : )

Info from GIA Report: Table: 62% / Depth: 58.1% / Girdle: Thin to Medium

Should I be concerned that the table > depth or is this less of a concern since it performs well in the video? Any other concerns? If not, I will likely purchase this one!

Thanks everyone; this thread has been super helpful!

Sunshine812

Shiny_Rock
Hi, just to let you know, AVs ovals are gorgeous and Jonathan will take care of you. I just recently purchased an “Elyque” Oval, 1.517, J, SI1, in RG, with a halo, see my pic to the left.
Good luck in finding an Oval.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results