Help Please - Imminent Proposal

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't yet found a vendor who refused to take my money !...:$$)::bigsmile:

BrentM1

Rough_Rock
Trade
First of all I am not a vendor .I did not come on this website to sell anything.You people can buy what you want.I am a wholesaler and I am only going to buy what I think are the easiest diamonds to sell.When I make a ring for my customers I want them to get many compliments on their jewelry,I don't want them to second guess their purchase.The main reason I don't inventory SI2 or worse is their is a very good chance that you will see the inclusions in the diamond when you are outside in the sunlight.Remember diamonds are graded in doors.I want my customer to have a gorgeous diamond inside and out.This is why I always have returning customers,always.If some of you want to buy stones lower than J that is fine,if you want to buy stones that are SI2 and lower that is fine ,if you want to buy stones with strong fluorescence that is also fine. You have to understand that when my customer comes to me they are not asking for any particular color and clarity they want a beautiful diamond.I ask them what their budget is and try to offer them two or three different grade diamonds and let them pick for themselves.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Matthews1127 @lovedogs @msop04

Think you're being unduly harsh on @BrentM1 . I imagine most of his e-ring shoppers are those looking to surprise their SO with an engagement ring. No one here would urge someone to purchase a K - P diamond as a surprise (heck, there are PSers who are cautious about recommending a I-J diamond as a surprise). Also BrentM1's inventory is not virtual; he's had to pay for the diamonds he has at the ready to show to customers. So I think it's unrealistic to expect that he's going to stock an array of diamonds down to P in color and SI-2 in clarity on the off-chance that a fair number of couples are going to waltz into his store and be amenable to what are "outliers" in the mainstream of the buying public.

I wasn't trying to be harsh at all... and I didn't remember seeing that @BrentM1 owned all of his inventory.

I do, however, stand by what I said... clean SI2's are harder to come by, but they can provide a great value for someone wanting just a little more size, better color, or better cut diamond for their budget. And why not share an eye clean stone with customers?? Some SI2's are cleaner than VS stones, depending on the type and placement of inclusion(s)!

Let prospective buyers see how clean an SI2 can be with their own eyes, instead of making them scared of them. That said, it's his prerogative to sell whatever he likes...

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First of all I am not a vendor .I did not come on this website to sell anything.You people can buy what you want.I am a wholesaler and I am only going to buy what I think are the easiest diamonds to sell.When I make a ring for my customers I want them to get many compliments on their jewelry,I don't want them to second guess their purchase.The main reason I don't inventory SI2 or worse is their is a very good chance that you will see the inclusions in the diamond when you are outside in the sunlight.Remember diamonds are graded in doors.I want my customer to have a gorgeous diamond inside and out.This is why I always have returning customers,always.If some of you want to buy stones lower than J that is fine,if you want to buy stones that are SI2 and lower that is fine ,if you want to buy stones with strong fluorescence that is also fine. You have to understand that when my customer comes to me they are not asking for any particular color and clarity they want a beautiful diamond.I ask them what their budget is and try to offer them two or three different grade diamonds and let them pick for themselves.

So... would you agree that you hope your customers stay as uneducated as possible? Because an SI2 (or even a J color or lower) can be a VERY beautiful diamond - since a diamond's beauty comes from the cut. Showing 2-3 color grades isn't really giving them a good opportunity to decide their own preferences... and certainly doesn't give the option of stretching the budget, if they desire a larger stone -- or even if they'd like to spend less.

I'm asking because of all the women I know who are less than thrilled with their husbands' choices of smaller, super white rocks (I won't say "unhappy" because that would not be totally accurate). Please don't think I'm being ugly or unfair to you... I've just seen this exact situation many times over in my circle of friends.

Last edited:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First of all I am not a vendor .I did not come on this website to sell anything.You people can buy what you want.I am a wholesaler and I am only going to buy what I think are the easiest diamonds to sell.When I make a ring for my customers I want them to get many compliments on their jewelry,I don't want them to second guess their purchase.

You have to understand that when my customer comes to me they are not asking for any particular color and clarity they want a beautiful diamond.I ask them what their budget is and try to offer them two or three different grade diamonds and let them pick for themselves.

Wait, I'm confused... I thought a wholesaler couldn't sell to the public? If you're making rings and purchasing diamonds to sell to customers, then aren't you a vendor?

ALRAAA

Rough_Rock
Since this is a very big purchase and intended for your wife-to-be, I don't think you've wasted any time. Actually, I think you need to put a lot more time into researching this stone, as well as what to look for in diamonds in general. Do you need a D color? I think you could go down to G and it still be very white. You are paying a high premium for D color. As far as this diamond goes, I can't tell anything from the video. That said, my diamond has similar specs to yours, is a 3.33 ct, and scored a 0.8 on the HCA... I also happen to love it. :) It really depends on what "flavor" of diamond you prefer.

My stone:
Diamond Specs.jpg

Is your diamond a full hearts and arrows? This 3 carat is, but I cannot see the arrows under normal conditions. it scintillates and sparkles though.
Could you please post pictures of your diamond under different conditions?

Thank you!!!

Reactions: AV_

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wait, I'm confused... I thought a wholesaler couldn't sell to the public? If you're making rings and purchasing diamonds to sell to customers, then aren't you a vendor?
This. Vendor = someone who is in the trade and sells to customers.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is your diamond a full hearts and arrows? This 3 carat is, but I cannot see the arrows under normal conditions. it scintillates and sparkles though.
Could you please post pictures of your diamond under different conditions?

Thank you!!!

My diamond is GIA XXX, not a superideal by any means. However, the angles work well, HCA 0.8, and I am very pleased with it. I can post a few in different lighting conditions. Please excuse the smudges in some of the photos - I'm bad about not keeping my diamond clean (yikes!!)...

DK Wire Band _plat_3.jpg CVB with G&Co Stacker.jpg DK Halo with CVB ering 1.jpg DK Halo with ering 2.jpg CVB Soli with bezel eternity.jpg CVB Soli on MDP_closeup.jpg

CVB Soli H20 Shade.jpg

ETA: I cannot see arrows under normal conditions, but I can in low light. :) I forgot to post specs: 3.33 ct GIA XXX, I/SI2, 9.8 mm

Attachments

• CVB Soli with bezel eternity_1.jpg
    CVB Soli with bezel eternity_1.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My diamond is GIA XXX, not a superideal by any means. However, the angles work well, HCA 0.8, and I am very pleased with it. I can post a few in different lighting conditions. Please excuse the smudges in some of the photos - I'm bad about not keeping my diamond clean (yikes!!)...

DK Wire Band _plat_3.jpg CVB with G&Co Stacker.jpg DK Halo with CVB ering 1.jpg DK Halo with ering 2.jpg CVB Soli with bezel eternity.jpg CVB Soli on MDP_closeup.jpg

CVB Soli H20 Shade.jpg

ETA: I cannot see arrows under normal conditions, but I can in low light. :) I forgot to post specs: 3.33 ct GIA XXX, I/SI2, 9.8 mm
Your ring is one of my all time favorites. And I am still horribly sad about missing out on that halo! You have great taste :)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring is one of my all time favorites. And I am still horribly sad about missing out on that halo! You have great taste :)

Well, thank you very much, @lovedogs! I'm very flattered!

ALRAAA

Rough_Rock

CVB Soli H20 Shade.jpg

Thank you very much for posting your pictures. What a beautiful diamond, indeed :)

Ceilimom

Brilliant_Rock
Medium blue fluor, highly unlikely. Strong, more likely but still quite unlikely. Very strong, even more likely, but unlikely. There used to be a premium for these stones a very very long time ago until the market fell out back in the late 70s/early 80s (according to my research).

The GIA study as referenced above by @OoohShiny (while a little old now) is still highly relevant.

A really good example of strong blue fluor in a D stone is here (with the exception of that honker of a black crystal under the table!!).
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...1.093-d-vs2-round-diamond-ags-bl-104067973013
This is just my impression, I am not in the trade, that diamond looks flat even with it's D color rating.
One of the few diamonds that I owned was probably a cape with high blue fluorescence, that diamond was not only crystal clear, it shot off rainbows like a meteor shower. When my husband and I went jewelry shopping we were not aware of appraisals,never knew about the 4C's, and we were so naive we believed that everything the jeweler said was the truth. There have been some painful, costly purchases, gut wrenching experiences, that resulted in my husband not wanting to invest anymore money in another piece of jewelry.
You do need to take advantage of the support and input from this forum. The contributors are very helpful, they don't have a financial stake or anything to gain from your purchase.
Physically look and handle the diamonds you are considering in all possible lights ( I especially like the test drive). If possible let your intended be involved if that is possible. Use all the tools they have been developed to know the diamond you are choosing. Your intended has for love and appreciate the lengths you are going to get this perfect.
As for the suggestion go to a local jeweler have her look at differing colored diamonds, depending on the area, the Jewelers in my area, seem to have precious little inventory and what was available had nothing but Good for cut on the GIA dossier.

Ceilimom

Brilliant_Rock
This is just my impression, I am not in the trade, that diamond looks flat even with it's D color rating.
One of the few diamonds that I owned was probably a cape with high blue fluorescence, that diamond was not only crystal clear, it shot off rainbows like a meteor shower. When my husband and I went jewelry shopping we were not aware of appraisals,never knew about the 4C's, and we were so naive we believed that everything the jeweler said was the truth. There have been some painful, costly purchases, gut wrenching experiences, that resulted in my husband not wanting to invest anymore money in another piece of jewelry.
You do need to take advantage of the support and input from this forum. The contributors are very helpful, they don't have a financial stake or anything to gain from your purchase.
Physically look and handle the diamonds you are considering in all possible lights ( I especially like the test drive). If possible let your intended be involved if that is possible. Use all the tools they have been developed to know the diamond you are choosing. Your intended has for love and appreciate the lengths you are going to get this perfect.
As for the suggestion go to a local jeweler have her look at differing colored diamonds, depending on the area, the Jewelers in my area, seem to have precious little inventory and what was available had nothing but Good for cut on the GIA dossier.
Sorry about the typo's and omissions, typing on a cell phone isn't easy - fat thumb syndrome

BrentM1

Rough_Rock
Trade
A wholesaler can sell to whoever they want.I am not a Vendor on this website or any other website.I sell to other dealers,and if I get a call from a retail customer of course I will help them out.I have been doing this for 38 years so I think the fact that I have survived for that long would be a slight indication that I am doing something right.

BrentM1

Rough_Rock
Trade
So... would you agree that you hope your customers stay as uneducated as possible? Because an SI2 (or even a J color or lower) can be a VERY beautiful diamond - since a diamond's beauty comes from the cut. Showing 2-3 color grades isn't really giving them a good opportunity to decide their own preferences... and certainly doesn't give the option of stretching the budget, if they desire a larger stone -- or even if they'd like to spend less.

I'm asking because of all the women I know who are less than thrilled with their husbands' choices of smaller, super white rocks (I won't say "unhappy" because that would not be totally accurate). Please don't think I'm being ugly or unfair to you... I've just seen this exact situation many times over in my circle of friends.
If I am going to buy a diamond to put in my inventory i am looking for diamonds that I get calls for all the time.I primarily sell to other dealers,and I do not get calls for SI2's and lower colors so why would I stock that type of stone.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A wholesaler can sell to whoever they want.I am not a Vendor on this website or any other website.I sell to other dealers,and if I get a call from a retail customer of course I will help them out.I have been doing this for 38 years so I think the fact that I have survived for that long would be a slight indication that I am doing something right.

Thank you very much for posting your pictures. What a beautiful diamond, indeed :)

Thank you!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

As we said before, vendor = someone in the trade to buys/sells stones/settings, etc, for a living. Thus, you are a vendor. No one is a vendor "on this site", as no one can sell on this website.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You don’t need to be all offended. You probably just aren’t aware that the regular people on the site are generally very savvy diamond buyers who know how to do well with a budget and thus work with vendors who do the same.
None of the people “in trade” that post here are allowed to market their stones but they can discuss diamonds in general. THe rules are specific as to what can be discussed.
Best of luck to you and your business. I am sure you have your market.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ALRAAA Have you ordered a stone yet? Have you had a chance to view some super ideals v GIA 3X in real life? CBI can arrange for a viewing. I think you really need to examine personally. I didn’t come to Appreciate super ideals until I had spent a good 1.5 years with my GIA 3x. And I think @msop04 mentioned that some people don’t ever feel they need a super ideal and can love their GIA 3x. I think the only way you will know is if you can see IRL. However since you are curious enough to keep asking questions you may be one of the people who do care. Good luck! Hope you can make it happen.

Last edited:

Ceilimom

Brilliant_Rock
Did you find a diamond for your intended? Please share what you did go with. Congratulations to you both on your engagement.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results