shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Please - Imminent Proposal

ALRAAA

Rough_Rock
I am supposed to be buying this diamond, but now have second thoughts.
Does it appear too dark? Is there too much contrast? I don't see a H&A pattern on the diamond. I took the video by the window.

It's a 3 carat, XXX GIA diamond, that scores under 1 on the HCA

upload_2019-6-30_9-30-8.png

Reactions: AV_

ALRAAA

Rough_Rock
I have been at this for a couple of months and I am effectively losing my mind... I appreciate all the unbiased help I can get!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The video is a little hard to "read". Do you have any advanced images like ASET or IS?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The video is a little hard to "read". Do you have any advanced images like ASET or IS?
Yes. For 3 carats and buying online you need an ASET. So don’t buy it yet.

Post the GIA and block out the numbers if you’re worried.
That video is terrible. If I had to judge by the video I would say no way. I think the video needs to be in better lighting conditions and in various lighting environments. Indoor, outdoor, dark, shade, sunlight, etc if you cannot see this stone in person and you cannot get an ASET or IS.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. For 3 carats and buying online you need an ASET. So don’t buy it yet.

Post the GIA and block out the numbers if you’re worried.
That video is terrible. If I had to judge by the video I would say no way. I think the video needs to be in better lighting conditions and in various lighting environments. Indoor, outdoor, dark, shade, sunlight, etc if you cannot see this stone in person and you cannot get an ASET or IS.
The numbers are on the HCA calculator thing, and look pretty good. But the video makes me nervous.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about inclusion plot?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree with others on getting an aset or idealscope image. It has a low crown/low pavilion combo. One of those images would tell what is going
on specifically with respect to that stone.

I tell you what you get with an ACA...peace of mind (super ideal, H&A, AGS000 stone...easy trade up capabilities). It is worth it to many of us but only
you can judge.

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am wondering if going down .5 carats, paying 10% more and getting A Cut Above Diamond from Whiteflash would be worth it? I'd be looking at a much smaller diamond...
I didn't care for the diamond in the video. Not the greatest video, but I think it's good enough that if I were purchasing, I would have moved on from this diamond. I didn't see any glimpses during any point of the video where I could say "Yeah, that looks like a really well cut diamond." I also see a lot of body color, although that could be a lighting artifact of the video. What color is the diamond? I am not representative of everyone (obviously) and I'm also not your fiancée (again, obviously) but I would much prefer a smaller, better cut, higher color diamond than a larger, poorly cut, lower color diamond. To me, a 2.5 carat diamond is still a huge diamond and a ACA will be gorgeous, without guesswork.

I think it comes down to you and your fiancée's preferences. Is she more concerned with size? Does she appreciate diamond performance? Does she care about color? Are you comfortable with you can buy with your budget? Everyone wants the most "bang for the buck". The real question is what do you consider the "bang"? Color? Size? Cut/light performance? All of those?

There have been many discussions here regarding whether or not it's worth buying from a "super-ideal" vendor vs. looking for a beautiful diamond elsewhere. For some people it's a no-brainer "yes, super-ideal all the way!", for others the price premium is not worth it (full disclosure--I'm in the "super-ideal" vendor camp). The question is so tied to what you consider important, that it's not answerable by others. You really do need to make the decision yourself, after educating yourself about diamonds as much as possible.

ALRAAA

Rough_Rock
I didn't care for the diamond in the video. Not the greatest video, but I think it's good enough that if I were purchasing, I would have moved on from this diamond. I didn't see any glimpses during any point of the video where I could say "Yeah, that looks like a really well cut diamond." I also see a lot of body color, although that could be a lighting artifact of the video. What color is the diamond? I am not representative of everyone (obviously) and I'm also not your fiancée (again, obviously) but I would much prefer a smaller, better cut, higher color diamond than a larger, poorly cut, lower color diamond. To me, a 2.5 carat diamond is still a huge diamond and a ACA will be gorgeous, without guesswork.

I think it comes down to you and your fiancée's preferences. Is she more concerned with size? Does she appreciate diamond performance? Does she care about color? Are you comfortable with you can buy with your budget? Everyone wants the most "bang for the buck". The real question is what do you consider the "bang"? Color? Size? Cut/light performance? All of those?

There have been many discussions here regarding whether or not it's worth buying from a "super-ideal" vendor vs. looking for a beautiful diamond elsewhere. For some people it's a no-brainer "yes, super-ideal all the way!", for others the price premium is not worth it (full disclosure--I'm in the "super-ideal" vendor camp). The question is so tied to what you consider important, that it's not answerable by others. You really do need to make the decision yourself, after educating yourself about diamonds as much as possible.

It's a D-color, XXX diamond. I posted the GIA report above. Thanks for looking. Who are the big experts on the forum?

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So, given that it's a D color, the body color I saw was just artifact. If you still want to love the diamond, as you say, I agree that you should ask for the ASET and Idealscope images suggested by the other posters on this thread. I would also ask for a better video. I think you have every right to expect that, given that this diamond probably has a pretty high price tag.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's possible that the surface graining is causing problems to the overall look of the stone. But yes, you need an ASET or IS image. I wouldn't want to pay the high price tag for a D color 3ct stone without those advanced images.

ALRAAA

Rough_Rock
here is another video I took of the diamond in the appraiser's office

It's not the best, but it gives another vantage point.

I am officially wasting too much time on this. and I am losing my mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: AV_

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
here is another video I took of the diamond in the appraiser's office

It's not the best, but it gives another vantage point.

I am officially wasting too much time on this. and I am losing my mind.

Since this is a very big purchase and intended for your wife-to-be, I don't think you've wasted any time. Actually, I think you need to put a lot more time into researching this stone, as well as what to look for in diamonds in general. Do you need a D color? I think you could go down to G and it still be very white. You are paying a high premium for D color. As far as this diamond goes, I can't tell anything from the video. That said, my diamond has similar specs to yours, is a 3.33 ct, and scored a 0.8 on the HCA... I also happen to love it. :) It really depends on what "flavor" of diamond you prefer.

My stone:
Diamond Specs.jpg

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You came to the right place, The experts here will help you find a great MRB diamond. Right now, I think you might need to slow down so you can research this particular choice IF you want to purchase a great cut diamond. I don’t know what the current stone costs, but a 3.01 D VS2 is going to be too much of an investment to not be 100 percent sure of your choice. Getting an ASET and posting and discussing here is recommended. Cut makes a difference and you will see that when you see a great cut stone. I’d suggest that you educate yourself about whether you prefer hearts and arrows or not. I found that a “hearts and arrows” pattern made my MRB seem more rational to my eye; I preferred it. I don’t see a consistent Hearts and Arrows pattern to this current stone and I think you should at least know what you are missing. Look at any of the branded superideals to see strong hearts and arrows patterning for comparison. You can get hearts and arrows patterning in non-super ideal unbranded form if you know what to look for. I strongly suggest you take some time to discuss your preferences here and let PSers help you select the right stone. Last, I want to suggest that the trade in policy of the vendor you buy this diamond from might matter to you in the long run.

Last edited:

ALRAAA

Rough_Rock
Since this is a very big purchase and intended for your wife-to-be, I don't think you've wasted any time. Actually, I think you need to put a lot more time into researching this stone, as well as what to look for in diamonds in general. Do you need a D color? I think you could go down to G and it still be very white. You are paying a high premium for D color. As far as this diamond goes, I can't tell anything from the video. That said, my diamond has similar specs to yours, is a 3.33 ct, and scored a 0.8 on the HCA... I also happen to love it. :) It really depends on what "flavor" of diamond you prefer.

My stone:
Diamond Specs.jpg
I wouldn't be doing this if she wasn't worth it and then some more, but I dislike how unscientific this process has been. The appraiser has been great, but is telling me it's up to me; his opinion matters not whatsoever.

ALRAAA

Rough_Rock
You came to the right place, The experts here will help you find a great MRB diamond. Right now, I think you might need to slow down so you can research this particular choice IF you want to purchase a great cut diamond. I don’t know what the current stone costs, but a 3.01 D VS2 is going to be too much of an investment to not be 100 percent sure of your choice. Getting an ASET and posting and discussing here is recommended. Cut makes a difference and you will see that when you see a great cut stone. I’d suggest that you educate yourself about whether you prefer hearts and arrows or not. I found that a “hearts and arrows” pattern made my MRB seem more rational to my eye; I preferred it. I don’t see a consistent Hearts and Arrows pattern to this current stone and I think you should at least know what you are missing. Look at any of the branded superideals to see strong hearts and arrows patterning for comparison. You can get hearts and arrows patterning in non-super ideal unbranded form if you know what to look for. I strongly suggest you take some time to discuss your preferences here and let PSers help you select the right stone. Last, I want to suggest that the trade in policy of the vendor you buy this diamond from might matter to you in the long run.

thank you very much for your comment. Unfortunately, the conditions are such that I need to buy a ring tomorrow.

ALRAAA

Rough_Rock
I was just watching a video online on super ideal cut diamonds.
Apparently, there is no perceptible difference between a D and a G diamond once they're mounted in a white gold setting. This is something I asked about before, but couldn't get a straight answer from the appraiser about.
Is this true? Especially for a moderately large stone (2.75+ carat)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't be doing this if she wasn't worth it and then some more, but I dislike how unscientific this process has been. The appraiser has been great, but is telling me it's up to me; his opinion matters not whatsoever.

Of course she's worth it! :) Well, since modern round diamonds are all about the science and numbers, you've done the right thing by coming to PS! We will help you find the best diamond for the budget.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Apparently, there is no perceptible difference between a D and a G diamond once they're mounted in a white gold setting. This is something I asked about before, but couldn't get a straight answer from the appraiser about.
Is this true?

To me, no. To anyone I know, no. There are a few who are incredibly color sensitive and may be able to tell a difference in a D and G if they are side by side, however, the vast majority will only see a super white diamond in a G.

ETA: That said, it really isn't about seeing a difference, but about what is the intended's color TOLERANCE. Most people think my stone is colorless range, and I want to laugh bc it's a freakin' I color! That's not their fault though, they just see white and think that. If it were next to a D, then sure they'd be able to tell which one was whiter. ;-)

Re: metal. For a diamond of this caliber, I would strongly encourage platinum, as opposed to white gold.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I wanted to add that it doesn't necessarily have to be a super ideal for this to ring true for most... even a well-cut to maybe even not-so-great cut diamond will look white in a G color.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally see H/I+ as very white. Could I see the difference if a D and G were face down on white paper? Sure. But in a setting? No, likely not. Both D and G will look white once set. You don't need D color unless your GF specifically asked or unless there are cultural factors.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would HIGHLY encourage you to slow down and make a careful and informed choice. Do you really truly need to buy a ring tomorrow? Rushing a massive purchase and potentially making a bad choice that you can't return is super risky.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally see H/I+ as very white. Could I see the difference if a D and G were face down on white paper? Sure. But in a setting? No, likely not. Both D and G will look white once set. You don't need D color unless your GF specifically asked or unless there are cultural factors.

I agree with this... also, a lot of people think if they don't get D/E/F stones, then they'll be yellow, because they simply have no experience looking at GIA/AGS certified diamonds.

Take her to a reputable jewelry store that sells only GIA/AGS stones. Have her look at different colors of diamonds (D-I), all XXX, FACE UP in the approximate size range you're seeking (2.7-3.2 ct range). Also, it's helpful to have different colors placed side by side on a white background IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER, and have her 1) pick out any colors that appear too tinted, and 2) try to put them in order of whitest to most tinted.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Face-up, diamonds are all about the light return - so D to I (or even J or K, depending on the viewer) will look white or sparkle with coloured fire if they are cut well, but viewers will see tint from the side as the colours get further away from D.

If it will be a solitaire, therefore, tint will be more visible than if it was in a halo (where the side view of the diamond is blocked).

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am one of those people who strongly responds to color (not all people care about color). In a large diamond with a solitaire setting, I can definitely see the color of a G for example. I can see tint in a G and I didn’t like it, -for that particular stone-. There are threads here which talk about this exact phenomenon. There are “low” and “high” Gs, within a scale, graded identically by GIA. All G’s are not alike. Diamonds have undertones of yellow, green, brown, etc. which affect perceived “whiteness” and a GIA report WILL NOT TELL YOU THIS. You’ve got to see each G in person. I personally love icey white, and a “high” F can get you there. Look up Cflutist’s posts for many icey white superideal Fs. Superideal cuts are so good that face up, color plays second fiddle to cut. I have an E CBI, and in many lighting situations I have felt the color is completely lost on me and I could have gone down several colors. Cut is very important.

OP, you clearly have the best in mind for your beloved. I can see that from you wanting to choose a D 3 carat stone. I agree with the other posters that this is definitely something you don’t want to rush. You want to feel absolutely solid and secure in your forever ring. I know you can find it, and I would not let an appraiser or a deadline sway you from investigating your many options in this regard.

Last edited:
L

lydial

7B22054D-0277-4787-ABB6-DB4974AFA6BB.jpeg A7BBC79E-C619-4134-862A-D6232D226B66.jpeg B959D48F-050D-40EA-9492-61CA857BE292.jpeg Just a comment to show how a true ideal cut can compensate for low color. This is my 2.66 ct K-VS1 from Crafted by a Infinity / High Performance Diamonds. It was within by budget and affords me loads of brilliance and rainbows and size, but was not near the price of a higher color. This may prove that a G would be well within your tolerance. These aren’t glamorous photos, very real world, middle of the day, not cleaned up. At an angle the tint is visible but facing up it is shine and rainbows all the time. No dark middle like the stone you posted.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results