shape
carat
color
clarity

Help PLEASE! choosing ring/most economical way.

what should i do?

• Keep the same diamond and just have it placed in a new setting.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Upgrade to a different diamond.

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Use the tanzanite in a diamond semi mount.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Use the sapphire in a diamond semi mount.

Votes: 9 56.3%

• Total voters

toosamom

Rough_Rock
RockBrat|1462332081|4026921 said:
I just wanted to suggest a B&M store since you're limited in your options. If you live near a ShaneCo, they buy diamonds and their trade up policy is you only have to pay an additional dollar. Might be a good option for you if you don't want to do ebay or don't get a buyer. Doesn't hurt to get an evaluation. They have a wide range of diamonds, so do your homework before choosing one. They aren't all graded, but they do sell AGS Ideal diamonds as well as uncerted.

I don't live near a Shaneco, but we just got a Diamonds Direct. I am going to call them and see what their policy is. There are a lot of local jewelers who may have a favorable policy as well. I will look into it. That would really be my first choice.

Phew! Gypsy! Sorry if I am skittish. My ex-husband is easily angered and quite a bit crazy. He is always throwing fits that leave me scratching my head trying to figure out what set him off this time. The answer is usually not anything rational. That leaves me extra sensitive to the way others perceive me. Hopefully that makes sense.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, your PTSD makes sense. I'm sorry for your experiences with that nonetheless. I have pretty darned thick skin though, and I'm very blunt. If I'm offended you'll know it, I promise. =)

If you do go local, let us help you as much as we can. A round would be the easiest thing to buy. I don't know if you like them though.

Still if you do, then we can easily help you.

Stick to GIA and AGS.

I advise you to go for an eyeclean Si1, I/J color 70 points. That should bring you in at around 2000-2500k.
Something like this:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.70-carat-i-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1040712
or this:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.71-carat-i-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1099798

Parameters:

table: 60 or less

depth: 62.4 or less

crown angle: 33.5-35.0

pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9 (sometimes 41.0 if the crown angle is close to 34)

And the angles should be complimentary, which is what this tool (HCA) checks for you: https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca Any score under 2.0 is a pass within the above parameters. This is pass/fail test. No score under 2 is better than any other.

That is a nice solitaire, like this one by Stuller (which any store local to you should be able to get) would be a great quality ring: http://www.stuller.com/products/build/123059/12508454/?groupId=193785

AND it would be very different than your last one (especially if you go for a nice white metal like the Stuller X1 alloy that doesn't need plating).

toosamom

Rough_Rock
I do like rounds a lot. I am not a fan of princess or emerald. I would not buy another radiant when I could just keep what I had. I don't like marquise center stones but like them as side stones in a setting. I like asscher cut diamonds, but I think you have to buy a good sized one and they are pricey. I feel like cushions lose a lot of spread because of their depth, and their sparkle doesn't compensate for the lack of face-up size. I am okay with ovals, but I think if there was a sparkling round beside it, I would forget about the oval. To sum it up, I would prefer a round, pear or maybe an oval. I like that the pear and oval look larger for the carat weight. I know that marquise has a lot of finger coverage, but I'm just not sure about It. I did a search on the diamonds direct site and found several that were about 1,500 and up.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pears and ovals are hard to buy, but when you get a good one, they are captivating.

Why don't you do some research locally and then let us know what you've decided to do. Once you know that, we can discuss what you should shoot for.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results