shape
carat
color
clarity

Help please! Buying yourself a diamond ring?

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I think its totally normal to buy yourself jewelry, or design your own pieces.

And those pieces can be just as sentimental as ones you've received from other people (perhaps even more!) I have pieces I bought for myself over the years that bring me good memories every time I wear them. They remind me of times I was self reliant and fearless, times I did a good job at my work and got bonuses, times I visited places as a single gal, etc.

I'm currently saving up for a significant jewelry piece that I will buy for myself that will have a special meaning. I have a career goal I'm working toward (I've been working this one goal since 2012!) and when I reach it, I plan to buy myself a special piece to mark the occasion. Then I will feel proud every time I wear the jewelry piece because I will be reminded that I can accomplished whatever I set my mind to. In the meantime, I'm tucking money aside in my "sparkly fund" so that I will be ready financially when I've reached my goal.

So heck yeah, buy your own jewelry with your head held high!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So my question is, is it strange to commission an expensive ring purely for yourself? I'd most likely be often wearing it in place of my engagement ring. I've changed so much as a person since we got married and want something that feels like who I am now vs reminds me of who I was at a more challenging point in my life. Obviously I'd love for my husband to be more involved in this, but he's in the boat of I should do what makes me happy but has no interest of his own in discussing ring designs endlessly and feels that he's done his part by getting me a ring and nothing else will have the same sentiment to him. He's said that he won't know how he feels about this new ring until he sees it on.

Not strange at all. Most of my jewelry I chose/commisioned for myself with some input from my DH. But it represents who I am and what my aesthetic is vs my dh's taste. It is A OK as you are the one wearing and enjoying said piece. I say go for it and get the ring of your dreams! And enjoy the process and maybe your DH would like to come along with you and take part in each step along the way thereby making him feel more of a part of this decision. Win win. Good luck and enjoy the process.:appl:

MsShnooks

Shiny_Rock
I’ve bought myself jewellery but an e-ring or replacement would be a no no for me. I feel that the wedding set should be a joint decision.

FinleysMom

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I bought a myself ring wrap for our 10th anny. (2012). I did not tell him beforehand, btw. My original wedding set is a YG pear 1 ct solitaire paired with a slim wedding band. I love trillions so I went to a local very reputable jeweler and picked out the setting and the trillions were matched to the specs on the pear per the certificate. I love the versatility of wearing the solitaire or blinging it up with the trillions when I want to. Hubby was concerned about me altering the original set ( I knew he would have been...he is very sentimental)

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
Interesting thread! I am traditional but worked out with DH that I like colored stones and alternate them with wedding set depending on weather! ( wedding set is a half size down). It has to work for you two. Have fun!

Abby_Lia

Rough_Rock
I buy a lot of my jewelry myself. I’ve bought myself a 6ct pear eternity band and several smaller eternity bands. I’ve also bought a small diamond bracelet and all my diamond earrings except my studs. I’ve also bought cocktail gemstone rings.

Dh knows I love jewelry and will come through for milestone birthdays or anniversaries, but otherwise he doesn’t buy nearly as often as I would like. Hahahahhaa

Do it!! Buy what you want and don’t wait for hubby to get it for you. Even the things dh has bought for me I have meticulously researched and chosen myself.

joelly

Ideal_Rock
E-ring was a joint decision. Other jewelry I’d get his permission to spend the money.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results