shape
carat
color
clarity

Help please! Advice on Tiffany Soleste?

bsbprincess

Rough_Rock
Hello all! :wavey: This is my first post on this forum. I've read quite a few posts on here lately while I've been googling about this ring. I have a few questions and was hoping some of you ladies could help me out. Me and my bf are gonna go in a tiffany store and look in December. I want to show him this ring and get sized, and price info. We're long distance, and we're not quite ready yet but I'm very picky and he really wants me to get the exact ring I want. So we're planning ahead of time and going to visit the store while he's here in LA.

I'm curious who here has gotten one, and what I'm up against. Thinking it may be a .5-.7 carat since the max budget is probably going to be 12,000. I know it's weird to mention money, and I feel embarrassed doing it frankly, but I'm nervous about walking in there clueless, haha. Honestly I'd rather get one a bit larger for that range If possible, but have any of you seen a diamond on the lower end of the tiffany scale in terms of clarity and color that wouldn't be worth it? Any suggestions on lowest I should get of either of those categories? I don't know if .5-.7 is noticeable enough to sacrifice "clarity" ..I'm so nervous about all of this! If anyone would like to share their pics or advice or experience with this ring I'd reallllly appreciate it! Thanks so much!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi bsb, are you set on Tiffany? Meaning, do you NEED to have a Tiffany diamond ring, or do you care more about getting the best stone you can for the budget you have? If you don't have to have Tiffany, and would be open to any beautiful stone that meets your criteria, let the experts here make suggestions of actual stones that give you a lot more bang for the buck. I'm not trying to knock Tiffany. I have a soleste myself, though an aquamarine in a soleste setting from Tiffany. I'm just saying that there are tons of options out there. And if you have investigated them all and decided that you want Tiffany, go for it.

And, maybe you've already looked and seen the hand-forged platinum settings that are double halos like the soleste, made by Victor Canera and Steven Kirsch, and others. If not, search for these names. After buying a stone, you can have them make you a setting that many here would say rival, if not surpass the quality of Tiffany's.

Good luck and let us know what you choose.

bsbprincess

Rough_Rock
LLJsmom|1383801335|3552013 said:
Hi bsb, are you set on Tiffany? Meaning, do you NEED to have a Tiffany diamond ring, or do you care more about getting the best stone you can for the budget you have? If you don't have to have Tiffany, and would be open to any beautiful stone that meets your criteria, let the experts here make suggestions of actual stones that give you a lot more bang for the buck. I'm not trying to knock Tiffany. I have a soleste myself, though an aquamarine in a soleste setting from Tiffany. I'm just saying that there are tons of options out there. And if you have investigated them all and decided that you want Tiffany, go for it.

And, maybe you've already looked and seen the hand-forged platinum settings that are double halos like the soleste, made by Victor Canera and Steven Kirsch, and others. If not, search for these names. After buying a stone, you can have them make you a setting that many here would say rival, if not surpass the quality of Tiffany's.

Good luck and let us know what you choose.

I am set on this ring. It's not Tiffany specifically but I've searched for months and nothing clicks with me like this specific ring does. Thanks though :)

I went to Tiffanys and fell in love with the soleste... However, I was so thrown off by the overpricing of Tiffanys. They were asking 3-4 times more than the wholesale/retail price for the same diamond... In the end the FI ended up buying the diamond loose and had a jeweler create a double halo. I love it even more than the soleste and the FI didn't have to break the bank.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why don't you get a quote from Engagement rings Direct to make you a copy of that ring and see the price difference, you will then be able to afford a much larger centre stone...... Both Victor Canera and Steven Kirsch's pave is better than anything in Tiffany IMHO. I personally would prefer a better made halo and a larger centre diamond for your budget but some people can't live without knowing they are wearing a Tiffany product. When people look at your ring they will never automatically notice that it is a Tiffany product unless you wish to point it out to them, they will however notice the size difference in the larger centre stone that you would be able to afford if you do not buy at Tiffany's.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since you are striving for perfection I would first contact Victor Canera (his bench is located in LA) and ask for a quote.
You could for example buy this 1 ct, H coloured stone and have it set in an Emilya halo. He also makes the double halo's.

You could also contact Steven Kirsch in NY. Victor and Steven are true masters in pave jewelry. Their level of quality is extremely high.

_11706.jpg

_11707.jpg

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OP
This post really belongs on Rocky Talky forum, you will get more answers there, so you could ask admin to move it for you.
However, you have gotten already some excellent answers to your question.
Best of luck.

DC519

Rough_Rock
Chiming in here, I was dead set on Soleste as well UNTIL we worked with a custom jeweler and I could change all the nit picky things I didn't like. Mine is set lower to the hand, (not as high stems as the Soleste) and I have pave going 3/4 down the shank, as opposed to 1/2, the shank is also thinner than the Soleste and the pave setting on my halo is much more delicate then the Soleste. While I totally understand wanting the 'Tiffany Blue Box' experience, what would have cost me 60k for a 2 carat cushion cut diamond Soleste from Tiffany, we were able to keep it under 15k (used a wholesaler to source diamond), with top quality melee and all the customizations I wanted. It was bizarre to me to spend that much for so little finger coverage.

Not trying to convince you otherwise, if you're set on Tiffany's, you're set on Tiffany's, but I remember when I went to the store and tried on their 2 carat and they told us the price, I turned to my fiance and said "If all you brought home was 2 carats for 60+k, I'd be livid, there better be at least 4 carats on my hand with that kind of price tag"

Just some food for thought.

mns12

Shiny_Rock
DC519|1383836319|3552162 said:
Chiming in here, I was dead set on Soleste as well UNTIL we worked with a custom jeweler and I could change all the nit picky things I didn't like. Mine is set lower to the hand, (not as high stems as the Soleste) and I have pave going 3/4 down the shank, as opposed to 1/2, the shank is also thinner than the Soleste and the pave setting on my halo is much more delicate then the Soleste. While I totally understand wanting the 'Tiffany Blue Box' experience, what would have cost me 60k for a 2 carat cushion cut diamond Soleste from Tiffany, we were able to keep it under 15k (used a wholesaler to source diamond), with top quality melee and all the customizations I wanted. It was bizarre to me to spend that much for so little finger coverage.

Not trying to convince you otherwise, if you're set on Tiffany's, you're set on Tiffany's, but I remember when I went to the store and tried on their 2 carat and they told us the price, I turned to my fiance and said "If all you brought home was 2 carats for 60+k, I'd be livid, there better be at least 4 carats on my hand with that kind of price tag"

DC519, I remember seeing your pics in "Shameless Showoffs: Show Me Your Bling" thread and love your set together. Can you tell me a little about our band..love it!"

bsbprincess, FWIW I agreed with all the previous posters... wouldn't rule out other options until you thoroughly research. There are many cost efficient options out there for same or better quality. Unless you will never be happy without a "Tiffany":)

bsbprincess

Rough_Rock
Thanks all :)

Come on, soleste owners!! I know you're here! Lol. I just have searched a lot of other sites for their cushion cuts with halos and nothing takes my breath away like this one. I'd rather go smaller and get this. I've found a few pics of .7 range and with the double halo... And with my skinny fingers.. It'd look perfect I think

bsbprincess

Rough_Rock
WillyDiamond|1383828672|3552116 said:
OP
This post really belongs on Rocky Talky forum, you will get more answers there, so you could ask admin to move it for you.
However, you have gotten already some excellent answers to your question.
Best of luck.

Oh sorry!! I don't know how to request they move it though

DC519

Rough_Rock
Hi MNS!

Not to thread jack, and thank you, band is a simple 3mm wide double row pave, there is pave on the sides as well, full eternity with a fine miligrain edge to make a little lip so the diamonds don't rub as much when paired up against e-ring.
Also, in my new profile shot it shows my newest band, a 2 mm pave band that matches better.

The 3mm doesn't really match, but I like it that way. It has nice coverage on its own, which is what I wanted in the event I don't feel like wearing the e-ring (ie work out etc)

Again, not to thread jack!

If you end up with the Soleste, please share photos. Never tire of seeing it!

bsbprincess

Rough_Rock
DC519|1383842801|3552197 said:
Not to thread jack, and thank you, band is a simple 3mm wide double row pave, there is pave on the sides as well, full eternity with a fine miligrain edge to make a little lip so the diamonds don't rub as much when paired up against e-ring.
Also, in my new profile shot it shows my newest band, a 2 mm pave band that matches better.

The 3mm doesn't really match, but I like it that way. It has nice coverage on its own, which is what I wanted in the event I don't feel like wearing the e-ring (ie work out etc)

Again, not to thread jack!

If you end up with the Soleste, please share photos. Never tire of seeing it!

That's ok!! :)

And I will, thanks!!!

bsbprincess

Rough_Rock
That 1.2 is amazing!!! Such beautiful eye candy!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DC519|1383836319|3552162 said:

Hilarious!! I agree. If be ok with 3.5 tho. ;-)

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
I am going to have a Soleste replica made by Engagement Rings Direct in the spring. For your price range, you'd be able to get to around a 1.25 or even higher carat weight center stone depending on specs. I've quoted that setting with ERD and it is very reasonable. Here is a thread of someone who had ERD make her the Soleste replica. Came out awesome!

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/another-fab-ring-by-mark-erd.174252/

Oh and one other thing to add. The 1 ct center one at Tiffany's was $22500, so for your budget you may be looking in the .5 - .7 range in my opinion but I could be wrong.

bsbprincess

Rough_Rock
lizzyann|1383845919|3552223 said:
I am going to have a Soleste replica made by Engagement Rings Direct in the spring. For your price range, you'd be able to get to around a 1.25 or even higher carat weight center stone depending on specs. I've quoted that setting with ERD and it is very reasonable. Here is a thread of someone who had ERD make her the Soleste replica. Came out awesome!

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/another-fab-ring-by-mark-erd.174252/

Oh and one other thing to add. The 1 ct center one at Tiffany's was $22500, so for your budget you may be looking in the .5 - .7 range in my opinion but I could be wrong.

Thanks! That's helpful, but I wish she had said how much she saved by going that route

bsbprincess

Rough_Rock
Are you nervous you'll lose quality? Craftsmanship? I feel secure with such a big name as tiffany. I really need to see .7 in person. I'm actually unsure I'd want to go bigger. I've heard some people say once you hit 1and up the square cushion becomes more of a rectangle.. Don't like that thought

DC519

Rough_Rock
Cushions come in allll shapes and sizes! :) It took me a few months, I wanted mine a touch elongated, and the Soleste cushions are actually a touch elongated too. As far as craftmanship, I had absolutely no qualms not going with Tiffany. I knew the capabilities, and I stressed that I was a 'difficult to please' customer and would inspect at loupe magnification. Once that was conveyed, it was perfect from there on out.

However, it sounds like you feel pretty strongly you want Tiffany's, and I would say go for it. Can you get a bigger diamond at the same specs and save a ton of money? Absolutely. Will you get the little blue box experience? No. Will people know it's Tiffany's from just seeing it, no. However, you will know. And that is all that matters, what you feel comfortable with and what you want. You really can't go wrong. It's a beautiful style (but I might be bias) it sparkles like mad and then you get an even better treat than diamonds, a fiance/and then a husband. :)

mns12

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the response DC!!

BSB, I guess my thought is what do you want to stand out more....the center diamond or halo?
I also feel like it's difficult to get a good read on how it would appear on your hand without trying on similar sizes & styles in person.

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
bsbprincess|1383846613|3552227 said:
Are you nervous you'll lose quality? Craftsmanship? I feel secure with such a big name as tiffany. I really need to see .7 in person. I'm actually unsure I'd want to go bigger. I've heard some people say once you hit 1and up the square cushion becomes more of a rectangle.. Don't like that thought

The carat size does not effect whether a cushion is square or rectangle. Cushions come in different shapes, some more square some more rectangle. The cushions that Tiff's use for their soleste are more rectangle than say the ones they use for their Legacy's. The legacy is more square. I've tried on the .5 carat one and the 1ct one at Tiff's and there was a huge difference in size. My budget is $10k and I will be able to get a 1.2ct center with a soleste setting from ERD. I am not worried about quality difference. ERD has excellent reviews and I've met Mark the owner before. If I had a choice between getting a .7ct center from Tiff's or a 1.25 ct center from ERD, I would hands down go the ERD route.

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
DC519|1383848498|3552240 said:
Cushions come in allll shapes and sizes! :) It took me a few months, I wanted mine a touch elongated, and the Soleste cushions are actually a touch elongated too. As far as craftmanship, I had absolutely no qualms not going with Tiffany. I knew the capabilities, and I stressed that I was a 'difficult to please' customer and would inspect at loupe magnification. Once that was conveyed, it was perfect from there on out.

However, it sounds like you feel pretty strongly you want Tiffany's, and I would say go for it. Can you get a bigger diamond at the same specs and save a ton of money? Absolutely. Will you get the little blue box experience? No. Will people know it's Tiffany's from just seeing it, no. However, you will know. And that is all that matters, what you feel comfortable with and what you want. You really can't go wrong. It's a beautiful style (but I might be bias) it sparkles like mad and then you get an even better treat than diamonds, a fiance/and then a husband. :)

DC, we need more pics of yours!!! Please start a thread in SMTB and post a ton!!!

bsbprincess

Rough_Rock
DC519|1383848498|3552240 said:

You're right. I'm by no means a "status" person. Just something about going with them for my e-ring that just... Sings to my romantic side lol. It sounds silly, but you're right. Ultimately it's about what's right for us each :) it's such a huge personal experience.

And don't get me wrong, yours is stunning!!! :)

Mns12: really all of it.. I love the double halo because I've seen videos of this ring and it sparkles like mad!!! So I really like how the center stone and halos blend together

bsbprincess

Rough_Rock
lizzyann|1383848739|3552245 said:
bsbprincess|1383846613|3552227 said:

The carat size does not effect whether a cushion is square or rectangle. Cushions come in different shapes, some more square some more rectangle. The cushions that Tiff's use for their soleste are more rectangle than say the ones they use for their Legacy's. The legacy is more square. I've tried on the .5 carat one and the 1ct one at Tiff's and there was a huge difference in size. My budget is $10k and I will be able to get a 1.2ct center with a soleste setting from ERD. I am not worried about quality difference. ERD has excellent reviews and I've met Mark the owner before. If I had a choice between getting a .7ct center from Tiff's or a 1.25 ct center from ERD, I would hands down go the ERD route.

Totally understand! I need to see the .7 or something close to that in person and go from there. Thanks for the info!! I will save that in case the tiffany one doesn't work

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
With a double halo ... it's going to add a lot to size on finger.

mjg

Rough_Rock
It's been a while since I tried on the soleste, but I'm pretty sure the one I tried on was about .6-.7 center and was about 11-12k.

bsbprincess

Rough_Rock
CharmyPoo|1383876637|3552500 said:
With a double halo ... it's going to add a lot to size on finger.

That's true :) and I have long skinny fingers so I wouldn't need as much coverage for it to look right.

Mjg, thanks! It sounds perfect. I can't wait to see!!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
I think a Tiffany Soleste at 0.70 with the double halo will look amazing!

If Tiffany is what you really want, then you go for it girl! And it does sound as if that's what you really want. If I won the lottery, I'd buy a Tiffany ribbon ring and a Legacy ring, both with about 0.70 centres, and I wouldn't consider replicas. If you've got the money, and you will feel really special in Tiffany, then DO IT!

I understand where you're coming from. The other day, I happened to prick myself with a needle and the blood that came out was Tiffany blue!

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DSS (diamond shrinkage syndrome) sets in quickly.. we all get it.. (or at least most of us)... by using the same money and looking for a great vendor that can make a nice reproduction you would be able to have a larger diamond and a great upgrade opportunity down the road.. just a suggestion.... it's a beautiful ring no matter what you do.. it's going to be fabulous!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results