shape
carat
color
clarity

Help please! Advice on Tiffany Soleste?

bsbprincess

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much! This is important to know and I've learned a lot here :) I need to be able to pass simplified info on to my bf :) thanks again

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
How much fun - picking a Tiffany ring!

In none of the rings you listed will you see the inclusions. They all have great clarity and will be eye clean. I thought this comparison was interesting:

75, H, IF, $12,500
.75, F, VVS2, 12,500

At the same price, I would take the F VVS2, which is a fantastic combo of quality. The H, IF is good only for the "mind clean" thing of having an actual IF stone. But balance is usually best.

I doubt you are going to see much color in the stones due to the halo. But cushions are each very unique and it will be best if you can see them in person and compare them to find the one that you know is "your" ring.

bsbprincess

Rough_Rock
I know I honestly can't believe it!!! I'm very lucky

Thanks for the help :)

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
OP - when I was buying my diamond solitaire necklace from Tiffany, my SA said that they have a limited number of SI diamonds and that they are eyeclean, and any inclusions are always on the side and so hidden under a prong. She said Tiffany does not accept any diamonds with inclusions on the table, even though they aren't visible to the naked eye anyway. For this reason, Tiffany S1 diamonds can represent a great value and mean that you can maximize size or colour. I ended up getting an E Si1 and it's totally eyeclean even at x30 loupe.

Maybe you should ask about this option?

bsbprincess

Rough_Rock
Smith1942|1384449192|3556411 said:
OP - when I was buying my diamond solitaire necklace from Tiffany, my SA said that they have a limited number of SI diamonds and that they are eyeclean, and any inclusions are always on the side and so hidden under a prong. She said Tiffany does not accept any diamonds with inclusions on the table, even though they aren't visible to the naked eye anyway. For this reason, Tiffany S1 diamonds can represent a great value and mean that you can maximize size or colour. I ended up getting an E Si1 and it's totally eyeclean even at x30 loupe.

Maybe you should ask about this option?

Huh, that's interesting. I didn't know that, thanks! I don't mind flaws that aren't noticeable to the naked eye when looking at it so I'd be fine with that. Appreciate the heads up :)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
There will not be a "cut grade" per se on the diamonds becuase typically there is not cut grade for fancies from GIA and I don't think that Tiffany deviates from that norm. If you ask them about cut quality, they are going to say something like "Tiffany only sells perfectly cut stones" or something.

I am not sure whether they only sell one type of cusion in this ring, or whether they sell rings with different facet patterns. You may want to go to the store and look at as many Soleste's as they have in whatever size they have one hand and compare the diamonds to get a sense of the range of facet patterning they have. I suspect they are all the same variety, which is the typical cushion brilliant with a slight crushed ice look. If that is the case, then frankly one is as good as another at a place like Tiffany where they will have some level of consistency in the appearance of the stones they sell. But you need to compare them in person and see if you notice any differences in faceting.

Ideally, you will have your store call in 2-3 rings and you can choose the one you want based on what looks best to you!

But honestly, if cut quality is your most important priority, then go with a different vendor who will let you actually choose your diamond and will evaluate the cut for you and allow you to pick a diamond with a particular facet pattern. If buying from Tiffany is the most important thing, then just walk in and pick the one you like.

bsbprincess

Rough_Rock
I was kind of expecting the same answer from them, a "they're all excellent" response. To an extent I have to say I'd believe that. I'm sure someone knowledgeable could see a difference, but I doubt I could tell.. However I do plan on going in and looking at as many as possible to make sure they look the same to me.

Yes it's a modified brilliant cushion, the more crushed ice look which I love. I doubt I could tell a difference from one cut to another for that reason.

EDIT: I'm actually really hoping they all look the same to me, because while me and him really want to find the perfect ring together, at the same time we don't want to ruin the surprise of timing and proposal, ya know? Ideally, we can get to a point where I show him what I like, tell him to aim for G or H and clarity is really a non-issue. And around a .7 he's one of those guys that needs very straightforward, simple directions hehe

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh you'll get that "it's a Tiffany Diamond, so it's the best there is" response, and it's a bunch of hooey. The key thing with cushions, and especially in this kind of instance, is that you see them, and pick the one that your eyes love the best. You need to see these colors and clarities in person to see what your eyes go to, what your eyes "see" and what your eyes like. You might not like the higher colors when you see them, and might find you LIKE an H or I. Or you might be more color sensitive and find you "need" an E or something on the higher end. Don't put the cart before the horse. Have them bring in as many in your price range and preferred size range as possible, maybe even a few larger in your price range, so you can see them in person and try them on to see what you like on your hand and what stones your eyes go to.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
OP - I had forgotten you were looking at cushions. I don't know if they have Si1 clarity in cushion, only in round - don't want to get your hopes up! But it's worth asking the question, anyway, whether they have Si1 in cushions, and if your SA seems unsure then press her to have a good search. Si1 will save you a ton of money and be totally eyeclean at Tiffany - meaning you can spend more on size or higher colour - so be sure that they don't exist before you press ahead with a VS!

bsbprincess

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all your help ame ;-)

That's ok smith! I appreciate the input regardless.

Yes I'm very relieved to report the new city I'll be living in by then actually has a tiffany location. I didn't expect that so I've been worrying about knowing everything now before I move. I think it'll help when we go in this dec too. Gonna see as many as I can and could hopefully narrow things down

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pandabee|1384362611|3555811 said:
bsbprincess|1384362321|3555806 said:
arkieb1|1384257854|3555007 said:
You need to ask them what they graded the cuts of each diamond as. I would get the largest best cut one.

One more question (sorry!)

How important is cut? I'm fine going down to an H, and from what I've heard clarity with them doesn't really matter cause the lowest they to, the flaws you couldn't see with a naked eye. However I really want it to sparkle like crazy, is that where cut really comes in? Like should I sacrifice even a bit of carat, clarity etc for the best graded cut they have? Would I notice a difference between very good and excellent?

Cut is the single most important factor. An ideal or excellent stone will appear much brighter and larger than a "very good" or poorly cut stone with all other specs being equal.

+1

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
It was my understanding that they only offer SI1 stones on the Novo.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Maybe that's true when it comes to engagement rings. Or maybe things have changed? But they definitely offer a limited number of Si1s in smaller diamond sizes for the DBTY solitaires (see link above, 0.23 F Si1 diamond). Also, my Tiffany 0.22 E DBTY platinum solitaire is an SI1. What their Si1 policy is with regards to stones for e-rings - which are of course larger - I don't know.

OP - hurry up and wring an answer out of your SA - I'm actually very interested to know where they stand on Si1s with their diamond rings!

bsbprincess

Rough_Rock
Thanks msop and pandabee! I've learned a lot and Im glad I know how important it is to look first now.

Haha smith I'm waiting back for a response to my last few questions :razz: will update ASAP

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results