shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Pave Band e-Ring Owners - Comfortable? Maintenance? Wedding Band?

hammy123

Rough_Rock
Hello lovely PriceScope members!

I recently posted in SMTB about my 4.03 carat Graff modern round brilliant e-ring with tapered baguettes. I feel that the tapered baguettes weren't the right proportion for the center stone to pop so I am now thinking that I want either (a) plain solitaire or (b) a thin pave band.

Please, pave band e-ring owners, could you please share your input on whether you find the pave band comfortable? Does it rub on your neighbouring fingers? Do you have a full pave or not? What is the maintenance like? Do any of the small pave diamonds fall out from time to time? My previous e-ring was a Harry Winston round brilliant with tapered baguettes and I had a baguette fall out (which they replaced quickly) so I know these small stones can fall out. Do you have to get it cleaned often?

Also, what do you lovely pave band ring owners wear as your wedding band? Would love to see some pics if you are inclined to share.

I've attached a pic of my current Graff ring along with their "Flame" pave band they make as well as their plain simple solitaire "Paragon".

Thank you so very much for your help and valuable insight.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-01-24 at 13.32.10.png
    Screenshot 2021-01-24 at 13.32.10.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 42
  • Screenshot 2021-01-24 at 13.32.52.png
    Screenshot 2021-01-24 at 13.32.52.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot 2021-01-24 at 13.35.02.png
    Screenshot 2021-01-24 at 13.35.02.png
    939.3 KB · Views: 37
  • Screenshot 2021-01-24 at 13.35.13.png
    Screenshot 2021-01-24 at 13.35.13.png
    167 KB · Views: 39

hammy123

Rough_Rock
Sorry, forgot to ask, does your pave band catch on the fibres of your clothes? Would a channel set pave fix that problem? But does channel set mean that less light passes through the stones so the pave doesn't sparkle as much? But it is more secure?

Did you debate between micropave or pave? Is micropave just smaller/daintier than pave?

I guess lifestyle also factors in here - perhaps a busy mom of 2 lifestyle may mean solitaire is more practical than pave?

Thanks for educating me, I appreciate it so much!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you thinking of have pave on the shank of your ering? Or a separate pave wedding band?

in my experience whether pave from a band catches or snags stuff depends completely on the maker. My Victor Canera eternity and pave on my ering has NEVER EVER caught on anything. EVER. And I’ve been wearing the same bright cut pave band for about five years now, 24/7. (Kinda channel set like with tiny prongs). Super durable and well made. About 1.9 mm. I have another locally made pave eternity that has snagged some, not a lot. As long as the melee (small diamonds) are well cut they should sparkle. So setting in a delicate channel or bright cut setting should not reduce how sparkly it is. Honestly I cannot recommend Victors bands enough. @Tonks has a great set of bands. If you’re not tied to Graff I would reach out to Victor.

cleaning for all jewelry is easy. Soak 10 min in Warm water and dawn and use soft tooth brush to scrub gently. Rinse with warm water and you’re done. I do this every several days.

hammy123

Rough_Rock
Are you thinking of have pave on the shank of your ering? Or a separate pave wedding band?

in my experience whether pave from a band catches or snags stuff depends completely on the maker. My Victor Canera eternity and pave on my ering has NEVER EVER caught on anything. EVER. And I’ve been wearing the same bright cut pave band for about five years now, 24/7. (Kinda channel set like with tiny prongs). Super durable and well made. About 1.9 mm. I have another locally made pave eternity that has snagged some, not a lot. As long as the melee (small diamonds) are well cut they should sparkle. So setting in a delicate channel or bright cut setting should not reduce how sparkly it is. Honestly I cannot recommend Victors bands enough. @Tonks has a great set of bands. If you’re not tied to Graff I would reach out to Victor.

cleaning for all jewelry is easy. Soak 10 min in Warm water and dawn and use soft tooth brush to scrub gently. Rinse with warm water and you’re done. I do this every several days.

Hi LLJsmom! I just can't decide yet - I was contemplating either pave on the shank of my e-ring and a plain wedding band. OR getting a plain solitaire and then a separate pave wedding band.

I loved your pave wedding band in the second picture you posted for me in my separate SMTB thread. Is this the one you say is "Kinda channel set like with tiny prongs at 1.9mm"? That looks like the exact size I would want if I were to pair it with a solitaire.

Thank you for your recommendation re: Victor Canera. I have only heard the best things about his work. Unfortunately, I live in London now (I'm American) and I really like having a store to go into and we've already spent the money at Graff so I think I want to try to make Graff work if possible.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi LLJsmom! I just can't decide yet - I was contemplating either pave on the shank of my e-ring and a plain wedding band. OR getting a plain solitaire and then a separate pave wedding band.

I loved your pave wedding band in the second picture you posted for me in my separate SMTB thread. Is this the one you say is "Kinda channel set like with tiny prongs at 1.9mm"? That looks like the exact size I would want if I were to pair it with a solitaire.

Thank you for your recommendation re: Victor Canera. I have only heard the best things about his work. Unfortunately, I live in London now (I'm American) and I really like having a store to go into and we've already spent the money at Graff so I think I want to try to make Graff work if possible.

I see. Kinda tied to Graff. Not a bad thing. They’re world renown jewelers so they can make a gorgeous anything.
Yes that’s the one. I love the look of a solitaire in a plain shank with a skinny pave wedding band.

just a word of warning. If your eye craves symmetry which reduces distraction (IMHO) from the huge rock that is your ering, make sure that the width and height of your pave or non-pave wedding band matches the width and height of the shank of your solitaire. It’s one of those things that you don’t notice if they do match. If they don’t, something will seem off. This is for people who are OCD about this. I know I am but discovered only when my previous iterations didn’t match and it bothered me and I could not figure out why. So I would suggest choosing the band and ering setting together and tell Graff that you want the same height and width for both rings. It isn’t rocket science and they’re Graff. If they don’t have it in stock they can make it for you.

hammy123

Rough_Rock
I see. Kinda tied to Graff. Not a bad thing. They’re world renown jewelers so they can make a gorgeous anything.
Yes that’s the one. I love the look of a solitaire in a plain shank with a skinny pave wedding band.

just a word of warning. If your eye craves symmetry which reduces distraction (IMHO) from the huge rock that is your ering, make sure that the width and height of your pave or non-pave wedding band matches the width and height of the shank of your solitaire. It’s one of those things that you don’t notice if they do match. If they don’t, something will seem off. This is for people who are OCD about this. I know I am but discovered only when my previous iterations didn’t match and it bothered me and I could not figure out why. So I would suggest choosing the band and ering setting together and tell Graff that you want the same height and width for both rings. It isn’t rocket science and they’re Graff. If they don’t have it in stock they can make it for you.

Wow, this is such useful advice, thank you! There was something off about my Graff and HW wedding band but I just couldn't put my finger on it nor could I put into writing what exactly was wrong other than I felt there was too much going on. But what you said right here makes a lot of sense to me and that is why I love the second (with pave wedding band) and third pictures (with plain wedding band) you posted. In the third picture, is your plain wedding band also 1.9mm in size?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a thread of someone with a Steven Kirsch setting that looks a lot like Leon's.

1611518164049.png

However, this is a 3.26 carat on a 4.75 finger. If you went with this, what kind of band do you want to match?

Here is another Preciosa, a 5 carat. You can see nothing can distract from that boulder.
1611520218929.png

Actually, I also had a similar ring (another one) but at a smaller scale. (Trust me. I've made all the mistakes, ahem, I mean learned all my lessons.)

This was the first setting Victor made me for another even earlier MRB, back in 2014. I know you are working with Graff. This is just an example of pave shank on a solitaire setting. Of course, this stone is way smaller than yours, 2.59 F on a 4.5 finger. I was attracted to how pretty the delicate pave on the shank made it look. Then I added a plain band, also made by Victor to match height and width.

1611518460431.png
1611518606832.png
1611518791504.png
1611518804506.png

This set is also no more. I ended up trading this MRB in for an old european cut. Anyway, even though it was pretty, and it matched, I can say I prefer the opposite combo, plain shank on the ering and pave band. Over time, I came to prefer absolutely nothing (no stones) next to a solitaire style ering to let the stone speak for itself. (But please forgive me if my next setting is a 3 stone. Total bling-ho look.) BUT, if I had a 4 carat E, I'd just tell everyone to BACK UP. :lol: .

1611519056270.png

Here is an example of a 4.5 carat solitaire on a size 6 finger. (I'm pretty sure she is a size 6.)
1611519687977.png

And here it is with a plain band.
1611519658361.png

@m-2-b put a 4.7 carat in Victor's halo. It looks spectacular. If in the end you want a halo, a delicate well done halo would not look ridiculous.

1611519956608.png
1611520006711.png

Last edited:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I quite like this Leon Mege creation with a thin pave band. Not sure how it will look on me though. Screenshot 2021-01-24 at 15.02.35.png

One word of caution though. I have read the Leon tells his clients to be very careful with their rings, and that nothing should be worn adjacent to his settings. @yssie can confirm whether she thinks his settings are on the delicate side. And I'm not sure what Graff will tell you. I know Victor does not go much below 2 mm on his shanks. I'm a wee bit on the paranoid side, and I want to wear my rings, so I opted for a more protected kind of pave so I can wear on a daily basis without worry. If you're going for a platinum setting and it is well made, and you're reasonably careful (of course that can be open to interpretation) they should be able to construct a ring that you can wear every day. However, with a 4 carat center, I would not go below 2 mm and I would request 4 double prongs. I will say that I am VERY surprised that one of your baguettes on your original HW fell out? I certainly would NOT expect that. How do you wear your rings, if I may ask?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:wavey: @LLJsmom!

Leon's pave (I have only four of his pave bands, so this is pretty anecdotal) is super comfy - it's not scratchy or catchy at all. Like @LLJsmom's Victor Canera pave. Leon will go super skinny if a customer asks, but he'll be explicit about the fact that it's likely to need repair one day, and he recommends that his thinner bands (String Theory, his narrowest 101s) be worn stacked with other rings to prevent warping.

I personally wouldn't risk cut down or fishtail pave on a sub-2mm shank to hold your stone. Here's an old thread that discusses exactly this - lots of opinions here, but also lots of information and personal experiences that you might find interesting ::)

And a PS article from an appraiser:

AuntKiki

Shiny_Rock
Hi Hammy! I have a 4.03 also! I had it in a Tacori full pave setting. It was completely comfortable and never snagged or caught on anything. It was smooth if I ran my finger over it. I only wore it 2 months but I agree that the quality of the setting must make a big difference in longevity.
I switched to a plain solitaire, the lovely pave setting was a bit too fancy for me. I felt very conspicuous, it was not my usual jewelry style. I also had a hard time choosing a wedding band for it, I probably needed the matching band. The solitaire allows me to switch out my band, I have a bunch and change them frequently. I had thread about it, but I don't know how to link it! If you go to my profile and search, it was titled 4ct MRB in Tacori, Too Much?
I'm sorry I can't add it here myself!

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Yay another Graff/HW lover! I have one of each :)
I would switch ypur ring to the solitaire tbh. I think your center stone needs to just shine on its own.
My wedding band is from HW - channel set & it is super comfy and i love it!
However, wearing it with my e-ring has scratched up the sides of the band.

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
And yes I am horrified your baguette fell out of your hw ring....

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
My ER has a very thin pave band - I've worn it for more than 10 years now and it has never, ever snagged anything. I have a matching wedding band - so the size and heigh are exact. They are 3/4 eternity bands. Even 10 years later, I'm in love with my setup.=)2

hammy123

Rough_Rock
Actually, I also had a similar ring (another one) but at a smaller scale. (Trust me. I've made all the mistakes, ahem, I mean learned all my lessons.)

This was the first setting Victor made me for another even earlier MRB, back in 2014.

Hi LLJsmom - I love reading about your e-ring journey and all your thoughts behind your decisions! So, this 2014 pave shank e-ring that Victor made for you is so so gorgeous!! May I ask why you traded it for an Old European Cut? Was it just that your personal preferences evolved? It is so beautiful when worn with the plain wedding band that Victor also made for you. But I was wondering - did you ever consider wearing a pave wedding band (same height and width of course) along with this pave e-ring?

hammy123

Rough_Rock
Here is a thread of someone with a Steven Kirsch setting that looks a lot like Leon's.

Thank you for all these pictures/threads - SO helpful to compare!!! Thanks so much.

hammy123

Rough_Rock
One word of caution though. I have read the Leon tells his clients to be very careful with their rings, and that nothing should be worn adjacent to his settings. @yssie can confirm whether she thinks his settings are on the delicate side. And I'm not sure what Graff will tell you. I know Victor does not go much below 2 mm on his shanks. I'm a wee bit on the paranoid side, and I want to wear my rings, so I opted for a more protected kind of pave so I can wear on a daily basis without worry. If you're going for a platinum setting and it is well made, and you're reasonably careful (of course that can be open to interpretation) they should be able to construct a ring that you can wear every day. However, with a 4 carat center, I would not go below 2 mm and I would request 4 double prongs. I will say that I am VERY surprised that one of your baguettes on your original HW fell out? I certainly would NOT expect that. How do you wear your rings, if I may ask?

Such good advice, I didn't know about all these factors to consider.

Yes, the baguette on my original HW e-ring that I received in 2005 FELL OUT!! Within the first week that I got it! So, it's not like it was the result of longstanding wear and tear. I brought it immediately to the HW in Rodeo Drive (I was living in Cali then) and they definitely seemed embarrassed and they fixed it immediately. Didn't have a problem with it after that.

Apologies, but what do you mean by "How do you wear your rings?" Do you mean, do I wear it with a wedding band on top or bottom or alone? I would wear it the conventional way with the wedding band on the bottom and the e-ring on top.

hammy123

Rough_Rock
Yay another Graff/HW lover! I have one of each :)
I would switch ypur ring to the solitaire tbh. I think your center stone needs to just shine on its own.
My wedding band is from HW - channel set & it is super comfy and i love it!
However, wearing it with my e-ring has scratched up the sides of the band.

Beautiful!! Please may I see a picture of your channel set HW wedding band? I love seeing all these rings, I know I am with like-minded folks here on PS.

hammy123

Rough_Rock
Hi Hammy! I have a 4.03 also! I had it in a Tacori full pave setting. It was completely comfortable and never snagged or caught on anything. It was smooth if I ran my finger over it. I only wore it 2 months but I agree that the quality of the setting must make a big difference in longevity.
I switched to a plain solitaire, the lovely pave setting was a bit too fancy for me. I felt very conspicuous, it was not my usual jewelry style. I also had a hard time choosing a wedding band for it, I probably needed the matching band. The solitaire allows me to switch out my band, I have a bunch and change them frequently. I had thread about it, but I don't know how to link it! If you go to my profile and search, it was titled 4ct MRB in Tacori, Too Much?
I'm sorry I can't add it here myself!

Thank you SO MUCH for your response and directions to your thread. I've read AND RE-read your thread!! What a simply stunning ring you have! I love the solitaire setting on you although the Tacori full pave was also breathtaking. I love that you can wear different bands with the solitaire. Gorgeous!!

hammy123

Rough_Rock
:wavey: @LLJsmom!

Leon's pave (I have only four of his pave bands, so this is pretty anecdotal) is super comfy - it's not scratchy or catchy at all. Like @LLJsmom's Victor Canera pave. Leon will go super skinny if a customer asks, but he'll be explicit about the fact that it's likely to need repair one day, and he recommends that his thinner bands (String Theory, his narrowest 101s) be worn stacked with other rings to prevent warping.

I personally wouldn't risk cut down or fishtail pave on a sub-2mm shank to hold your stone. Here's an old thread that discusses exactly this - lots of opinions here, but also lots of information and personal experiences that you might find interesting ::)

And a PS article from an appraiser:

Hi Yssie!! Thank you so very much for your insight. This is such great advice and I'm thoroughly enjoying reading and educating myself through the links you copied. I had no idea (just didn't think about it) that the thinner bands would be less structurally sound, but of course it all makes sense.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi LLJsmom - I love reading about your e-ring journey and all your thoughts behind your decisions! So, this 2014 pave shank e-ring that Victor made for you is so so gorgeous!! May I ask why you traded it for an Old European Cut? Was it just that your personal preferences evolved? It is so beautiful when worn with the plain wedding band that Victor also made for you. But I was wondering - did you ever consider wearing a pave wedding band (same height and width of course) along with this pave e-ring?

Hi Hammy, that would have been a beautiful combination if I loved my MRB, which unfortunately I didn't. I ended up falling in love with OECs. In combination of the fact that I did not love the cut of my MRB (GIA 3X but far from perfect), I ended up trading in the MRB for an OEC, so I didn't throw more money into the set from Victor, and did NOT consider getting another separate eternity band. My OEC, which I do still have =)2 was a bigger stone and would not have fit into Victor's pave setting. So I asked Victor to convert this setting into my current eternity which he so graciously did. Victor did make the setting for my new OEC as well, but it looks completely different.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Such good advice, I didn't know about all these factors to consider.

Yes, the baguette on my original HW e-ring that I received in 2005 FELL OUT!! Within the first week that I got it! So, it's not like it was the result of longstanding wear and tear. I brought it immediately to the HW in Rodeo Drive (I was living in Cali then) and they definitely seemed embarrassed and they fixed it immediately. Didn't have a problem with it after that.

Apologies, but what do you mean by "How do you wear your rings?" Do you mean, do I wear it with a wedding band on top or bottom or alone? I would wear it the conventional way with the wedding band on the bottom and the e-ring on top.

Well, thank goodness they dealt with the issue promptly. That is embarrassing. Within the FIRST week!! You are so sweet and forgiving. I would have returned that thing in a heartbeat. Especially because it was Harry Winston. Glad to hear no other issues. =)2

I meant how often do you wear your rings - daily, 24/7, only when going out, keep them on while doing household stuff, separately or together, etc? Some people take off their rings the second they get home. Other people wear them all day, and even to sleep. That would help me decide how durable and secure a setting I want my rings, for my own peace of mind. I'm a wear all the time type except doing things that could damage them, like dishes, heavy cleaning or lifting, working out etc. I even wear to sleep if they are comfortable.

hammy123

Rough_Rock
Well, thank goodness they dealt with the issue promptly. That is embarrassing. Within the FIRST week!! You are so sweet and forgiving. I would have returned that thing in a heartbeat. Especially because it was Harry Winston. Glad to hear no other issues. =)2

I meant how often do you wear your rings - daily, 24/7, only when going out, keep them on while doing household stuff, separately or together, etc? Some people take off their rings the second they get home. Other people wear them all day, and even to sleep. That would help me decide how durable and secure a setting I want my rings, for my own peace of mind. I'm a wear all the time type except doing things that could damage them, like dishes, heavy cleaning or lifting, working out etc. I even wear to sleep if they are comfortable.

Ah yes, of course, thanks for clarifying. I like to wear them as much as possible but not to sleep because my fingers swell. I also tend to take them off during the day more often now that I have another new baby. But before I had kids I wore them a lot more. Once baby grows up, I'll be back to wearing them all day I think!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah yes, of course, thanks for clarifying. I like to wear them as much as possible but not to sleep because my fingers swell. I also tend to take them off during the day more often now that I have another new baby. But before I had kids I wore them a lot more. Once baby grows up, I'll be back to wearing them all day I think!

Yes, with little ones it's easier to not have anything on. :) So what do you think your next steps with Graff will be?

hammy123

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your replies! So much to think about and I value all of your insights and opinions. I agree that the craftsmanship/aesthetic/proportions of the HW is amazing; it’s a classic. I thought about it further and I didn’t want Graff to try and replicate the HW....and I wanted something a bit different. So, I decided to go for a plain solitaire with a new stone. It’s a 4.30 carat and the workshop is working on it now. I’ll post pics when it arrives! There was just something about the 4.03 carat stone that didn’t speak to me, that might sound a bit funny?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your replies! So much to think about and I value all of your insights and opinions. I agree that the craftsmanship/aesthetic/proportions of the HW is amazing; it’s a classic. I thought about it further and I didn’t want Graff to try and replicate the HW....and I wanted something a bit different. So, I decided to go for a plain solitaire with a new stone. It’s a 4.30 carat and the workshop is working on it now. I’ll post pics when it arrives! There was just something about the 4.03 carat stone that didn’t speak to me, that might sound a bit funny?

Not weird at all that a diamond does not speak to you. You're among good company. So excited for you. Can't wait to see it. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results