shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Not sure if this ring looks nice!

Chambs

Rough_Rock
Hi,

First time poster here! I am planning to propose very soon and I ordered a custom designed ring which has a single band which splits into 2 bands as it nears the top of the diamond. The attached photos show the final result. My problem is that I didn't want the split to be so thick and become so flat, which means you end up seeing a lot of it from the top view. I wanted the split to be a lot thinner and less flat so you would only see a little bit from the top. So my question is, what do you think of the overall result? Is this a nice ring? Im really worried as it wasnt exactly how I wanted it to be but it still looks nice so maybe she will like it. But do you think it is easy to take out the diamond and just put onto a new setting? As this was a custom design, the goldsmith says it is difficult to change now :(

Thanks!

img_20161215_155003133.jpg

img_20161216_123917549.jpg

Ariadne_Theia

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Personally, I think it's beautiful! It's got a very vintage look. It all depends on her style though.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you have drawings to pre-approve before the setting was made? Does the ring reflect the drawings? Is there a return or exchange policy that applies to this ring?

To me, it's a very pretty ring. Maybe this is a moot point until you show your intended the ring. If there is a return or exchange policy propose within the period.

Chambs

Rough_Rock
Oh as it was a custom design I dont think there is a return/exchange policy. I was using a goldsmith contact I had. There were not drawings before the actual final result but I had shown multiple photos of what I had wanted (I used a design of a ring which I had seen and taken photos of it and which was slightly altered). So overall it was not entirely what I was expecting but not far off. I guess my problem is that I had a specific look in mind so when I got the final result I was a little worried. But for someone who looks as the ring as it is without knowing what it should be, then I guess it seems nice. I just hope she will like it! I wasnt looking for the vintage look so hope it will be ok! But you think should be easy to remove the diamond from the prongs if necessary?
Thanks!!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also think it's beautiful. It's got a different feel about it to a usual split shank, so for me it's a winner.

Good luck with your proposal!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's beautiful. You couldn't have the split shank part any thinner unless you went with smaller diamonds. Or do you mean "side on view"? I'm not sure what you mean by "looking down and seeing too much of the shank diamonds"? It is that you think the "split" in the shank too wide? The ring is well balanced and it's good to see all the shank diamonds, (otherwise why have them then? I'm sure she will love it. Congratulations.

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock
I think it's beautiful, different from most e-rings you see around, and unless she had some different vision in mind (i.e., if it's a surprise) I bet she will love it. It has everything and e-ring should have, and uniqueness to boot!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, the diamond could be removed from the setting. What would you set it in if you did that?

P

PierreBear

Hello! Perhaps the question is whether your future wife likes the ring? Just a thought to perhaps propose with the ring and if it's not her style, then ya'll can work together on the project. Good luck with the process! It is a very unique ring!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you post any of the pictures like what you gave to the jeweler so we know what you were after. It has a vintage feel...not sure
if thats what you were after or not.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't take the stone out. It's a lovely ring. As others have said - as with ANY ring - show it to your fiancee when the time is right then give her the option to keep or exchange, either now, or down the road. For my money, I would have liked receiving this as an engagement ring very much.

Chambs

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the comments everyone. Yes actually I will let her decide if she likes it or not...if she feels it's not really her style then I will think about removing the diamond from the prongs and maybe perhaps using a different setting. I have attached a photo of what I was originally aiming for, you can see that I didn't want the shank to be so thick and flat, i was aiming for a much thinner band. Oh well will see what she says!

img-20161205-wa0000.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dont know if you asked pretty much for that picture or if you made changes but IMO it barely resembles that picture you posted. It has
a whole different feel. I think you should talk to your jeweler and if the setting is not to her liking that he should either redo it or see
if you can get your money back (on grounds he didnt deliver what you asked for).

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your inspiration ring is more elegant to my eye, although that's not to say there isn't something pleasing about the aesthetic of the one you were given. I hesitate to say this, but it is reminiscent of an eye to me, which is kinda cool, but for me causes it to appeal more as a RHR.

I would be a little concerned about the security of the diamond. The diamond itself, as well as the prongs, seem too exposed. The prongs look like they would take the hit if she were to knock her ring (I do it more than I care to admit), and they don't look like they're made to take it.

Chambs

Rough_Rock
Yes you can understand my frustration when I saw the result as it was not how I intended it be. But of course she doesn't know what I wanted it to look like so that's why maybe she might like this final result. I guess that's why I asked if on its own, this ring looks nice (without knowing what the intended ring was). I still think it looks nice but it is a very unique style so not totally sure if she will like it! Since they already said to me they can't change it I was hoping that maybe they can take out the diamond and put on a new setting if necessary...I assumed it wouldn't be a problem to remove a diamond from its prongs. Thanks again everyone....I do appreciate the honest comments especially as this is such an important object in mine and hers life!

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
It's very pretty! I looked at it first without knowing the specific look you were going for. I think she will find it very beautiful since she doesn't have knowledge of the original design you were hoping to achieve. It doesn't resemble the inspiration pic, but I still think it's a lovely ring. Good luck! :appl:

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
While I agree with others that the ring you got is lovely (maybe you might put a colored stone in that setting for a right hand ring), it looks NOTHING like the inspiration ring, and it doesn't look like an engagement ring. Your jeweler should be ashamed of himself for not taking the blame on this.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've heard you say a few times what you were wanting, but was the inspiration ring something she picked out? Because most women do have preferences, and if you have not learned her preferences, this may or may not work out. The original ring doesn't look vintage to me at all. If someone has no idea what the recipient wants, we usually recommend proposing with the diamond in a simple solitaire setting so the person can choose a setting they like later. I would say that my main objection to it is that it will not work with a wedding band very well, and I really dislike curved wedding bands. But that's just me, and what matters is what she likes!

But in regard to removing the diamond, a jeweler will do that if you have the diamond reset. You don't do it yourself. I agree with Tourmaline that I might save this setting for a right hand ring with a colored stone, and let her choose a setting for the e-ring.

Chambs

Rough_Rock
So I proposed yesterday and it all went well! Actually I had no idea what kind of design she wanted, that inspiration photo I had was just something I quite liked. She likes the vintage look and I think what was most important is that this is a totally unique ring! I guess she is not too fussy when it comes to the design, she was more happy that I chose something different. So overall a success! Thanks everyone for the comments. I do appreciate the honesty also and I agree that while this may not look like a typical e-ring, its meaning is more important than how it looks.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay! So glad she loves it & congratulations!!

Please post hand shots when you get chance!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on your engagement!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! Glad it worked out for you!

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations!!! You are a lucky guy, the ring is beautiful and your lady is a true gem! Wishing you both happiness :appl:

chamomiletea

Rough_Rock
I really like it, I like how the stone is held up and how it looks half like a halo, half like a split shank. I am glad your new fiancé likes it. Congratulations!

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! I think it is very nice that you had a ring made especially for her!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations and best wishes to you both!!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations, and so happy she likes it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results