carat
color
clarity

Help needed ! Cartier e-ring on Saturday

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Frenchcut|1308430517|2949132 said:
I may not get the best cut diamond but what really matters in the end is that it sparkles like crazy (and I'm sure it will). And I love to know that my ring will have been made especially for me by Cartier, it will make it even more unique in my eyes 8-)

But that's just it--if it's not excellent cut, it may not "sparkle like crazy." I just want you to not end up disappointed.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Frenchcut|1308434718|2949170 said:
I've just retrieved the GIA certificate, I didn't want to look at it at first but you convinced me that I would be crazy no too. Here's what it says:

Carat weight: 0.9
Color grade: G
Clarity grade: VVS2
Cut grade: Very Good
Polish: VG
Symmetry: VG
Fluo: none

Table 56%
Depth: 60.1%
Crown angle: 33%
Crown Height: 14%
Pavilion angle: 40.6%
Pavilion depth: 42.5%
Girdle: medium to slightly thick, faceted

I put the figures in the HCA and got a 0.7 visual performance! I'm pretty relieved, I was starting having doubts about my decision.

Do you reckon this diamond should look good based on the above figures?

Okay, based on the cert, the reason why this diamond did not receive an excellent cut is because this stone will be shallow with those crown and pavilion angles. There could be obstruction with a shallow stone (meaning the stone goes dark). Best to have it checked out and viewed in a variety of lighting. Good luck!

Frenchcut

Shiny_Rock
Thank you, I was also surprised by the diameter for a 0.9 ct stone. I hope it's going to look (very) good...

What I'm not sure about, it's the HCA and its meaning. What is it to have a 0.7 score when the diamond is shallow? Is it possible to have a VG cut with an "excellent" HCA score below 2 and the diamond still doesn't look very good :???:

By the way, I've come across this old thread that's very interesting regarding steep/shallow stones and the visual impact it has: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/simple-science-is-shallow-or-deep-better.44007/

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
It is a very good HCA score, but remember you are just entering #'s into the program and it's spitting back a prediction. It's a very good tool though and a very comforting outcome! :D I had a .75 pear that was intentionally cut shallow to make it look like a 1ct and I always felt that it was a beautiful, and had alot of sparkle, and always got a ton of compliments on it!'

It's important to remember that just because your stone didn't receive the hightest cut score, doesn't necessarily mean that it won't perform very well. There are so many variables to be considered, that's why we all feel that its so important that you have the opportunity to view your stone before the final purchase. PSers very often buy their stones without first seeing them based on the numbers, pics, and videos, therefore, it's very important that the vendors we buy from have a no questions asked return policy. Do you have the option of returning the ring if you decide that it does not perform to your standards?

Based on the HCA though, it sounds like you have reason to be optimistic. I really can't wait to see your pics! Countdown is on huh?? :appl:

Frenchcut

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Christina, I find comfort in the fact that they hand pick their diamond and that their staff must be well trained in selecting stones with a "balanced" visual performance.

I know for sure that it won't have the qualities of an triple Ex stone but I've always liked the look of their diamonds when I compared them to other branded/non branded stone at a few minutes interval (I made several trips to a large department store where most high end jewellers have a corner so I could compare). I don't know exactly what their selection criteria are but their diamonds always look very "vibrant" to me (don't know how to express that in more technical terms, sorry ;-) ).

As for the return policy I think it's to be negociated with them when the ring is ready but I don't think they be willing to make the exchange based on the price of my current stone and if I want it changed I will also have to pay more (their current pricing has not been changed since the start of the year, it's going to increase a lot on 1st July I'm afraid....).

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a nice size! It will look close to a carat. I am sure it will be beautiful. We are used to helping people who are choosing a diamond and can obviously choose between multiple vendors to find an ideal or excellent cut stone. This situation is just unique and you have more limited choices. But Cartier is not going to sell a bad diamond. I'd love to see it when you get it! :appl:

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I agree with DS, Cartier is NOT going to sell you a bad diamond. I'm sure that you are going to be very happy! And if I havne't said it yet CONGRATS! :appl: Make sure that you come back with pics, we love :love: pics!!

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I love that setting! Please, do come back with pics for SMTB!! :appl:

Venice

Brilliant_Rock
The Cartier 1895 is one of my top three favorite settings! You are SO lucky! Please come back with plenty of pictures! Congratulations!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Having what you want/the ring of your dreams is important to you: Cartier--is that. Love love love your choice. Again congrats! :love:

cheers--Sharon

Frenchcut

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all for your replies, I plan to take pictures of other rings to improve my photographing skills before I get it!

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
I love the 1895 too. Awaiting your pics eagerly!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results