Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP: Need to pick between GOG AVC and ERD "Custom" Cushion

aweiss2k

Rough_Rock
Joined
Sep 21, 2011
Messages
11
Hello,

I've been lurking in this site for a while and educating myself about this entire universe of diamonds.

After much consideration, I've decided to get my gf a T&C Legacy "replica" setting with an "antique" style cushion cut. I've narrowed it down to two stones, and would appreciate your feedback. The first is an "August Vintage" from GOG, and the other is a custom-cut stone from ERD that is - apparently - a prototype for a new line of ulta-high-performance antique cushions that will be formally debuting sometime in the future.

Given the more traditional style of the setting, I'm really looking for a stone with a classic/antique feel, which is how I got this far.

Stone 1 (GOG AVC):

Link: http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8625/

GOG%20AVC1.jpg
GOG%20AVC2_0.jpg
GOG%20AVC%20ASET_0.jpg
GOG%20AVC%20IS_0.jpg

I have attached the full AGS Report, but to pull out the most relevant bits:

Carat: 0.88
Cut: AGS 1
- AGS Light Performance: 0
- AGS Polish: 1
- AGS Symmetry: 0
Color: E
Clarity: VS1

Facet Structure:

GOG%20AVC%20Facet%20Structure.jpg

Stone 2 (ERD Custom Cushion)

Link: http://www.engagementringsdirect.com/DiamondCushionDetails.aspx?Item=63

ERD%20Cushion%201.jpg
ERD%20Cushion%20ASET.jpg

Again, the full AGS report is attached:

Carat: 0.93
Cut: AGS 2
- AGS Light Performance: 1
- AGS Polish: 2
- AGS Symmetry: 2
Color: G
Clarity: VVS1

Facet Structure:

ERD%20Cushion%20Facet%20Structure.jpg

---

I was hoping to get both side-by-side but have to be on travel for several days so I thought I would pulse this community for your thoughts. Both seem really great to me, and price difference is negligible.

I notice that the pavilion facet structures differ on these two. How is this likely o manifest with respect to the look? The ERD stone looks a bit "sharper" and more modern to my eye, but obviously I don't have it in person.

Both GOG and ERD seem to get very good reviews across the board and have been very helpful to date, which is making my decision that much more difficult.

Also - Since I am looking for a T&C Legacy replica, do you guys have any suggestions? I see that Mark at ERD does the "Heather" and both Excel Diamonds and MDC Diamonds also have a Legacy replica. Is there a consensus about any quality or customer service differences between these? Any other Legacy-replicas that get very high marks?

Thanks,
Aaron

ERD AGS 104051085002.jpg
 

Attachments

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Apr 26, 2007
Messages
8,087
Re: HELP: Need to pick between GOG AVC and ERD "Custom" Cush

BIG vote for the AVC here - aside from just preferring the chunky flashes of light you get from big facets in a cushion-shaped stone, particularly for a Legacy replica, the cut is much more appropriate. The Legacy proper is an interesting mix of cushion shape and step-cut facets, resulting in a very "Old World" looking rock - not unlike the AVC, but light-years away from ERD's prototype, which looks to my eye more like a squared-off round than a cushion as such ....
 

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 17, 2008
Messages
22,490
Re: HELP: Need to pick between GOG AVC and ERD "Custom" Cush

I prefer the AVC. I like the faceting pattern in the middle of the ERD stone but its looking kind of busy
to me outside the table area. I love the bigger facets of the AVC...but which one appeals the most to you?
 

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jul 7, 2004
Messages
10,763
Re: HELP: Need to pick between GOG AVC and ERD "Custom" Cush

I like the ERD stone's pattern but if you want a REAL close look to the Real Legacy, the Crisscut Cushion or Asscher diamonds are the closest I've ever seen.
 

aweiss2k

Rough_Rock
Joined
Sep 21, 2011
Messages
11
Re: HELP: Need to pick between GOG AVC and ERD "Custom" Cush

Thanks for the input! I'm not trying to replicate the T&C stone, just put an interesting and appropriate cushion into that setting. Initially I was also considering a "Super Ideal" H&A Square Cushionm but I thought it totally clashed style-wise with the settting...or at least for what I have in mind.

There's something very "sharp" going on in the center of the ERD stone, with the four "arrows" pointing in the four compass directions. I think it's cool, but maybe not as appropriate for this piece.

As for the setting, any suggestions? I still think Mark @ ERD has a great setting in the Heather, but the pure Legacy replicas at Excel and MDC seem to fit the bill as well. Any thoughts there? Any quality/workmanship issues with Excel or MDC?

I just want this to be a great ring to propose with.

Thanks,
Aaron
 

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Apr 4, 2010
Messages
9,667
Re: HELP: Need to pick between GOG AVC and ERD "Custom" Cush

aweiss2k|1316624594|3022216 said:
Thanks for the input! I'm not trying to replicate the T&C stone, just put an interesting and appropriate cushion into that setting. Initially I was also considering a "Super Ideal" H&A Square Cushionm but I thought it totally clashed style-wise with the settting...or at least for what I have in mind.

There's something very "sharp" going on in the center of the ERD stone, with the four "arrows" pointing in the four compass directions. I think it's cool, but maybe not as appropriate for this piece.

As for the setting, any suggestions? I still think Mark @ ERD has a great setting in the Heather, but the pure Legacy replicas at Excel and MDC seem to fit the bill as well. Any thoughts there? Any quality/workmanship issues with Excel or MDC?

I just want this to be a great ring to propose with.

Thanks,
Aaron
The ERD stone looks more modern to my eye. I think the GOG AVC would work better in the legacy type setting, although modern stones can certainly work in those settings (there are many round examples). Does GOG have a similar setting? It would be easiest to get both at the same vendor, although you can certainly use different vendors.
 

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 23, 2008
Messages
3,517
Re: HELP: Need to pick between GOG AVC and ERD "Custom" Cush

GOG does custom designs and also has a ton of different lines and I'm certain they can find/make a Legacy ring for the AVC you are considering. Here is a link to his videos on youtube for you to check out all the different things he's done.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DiamondInfoMan

And I linked to soon...a simple search found one they have already made with an AVC in it!

http://www.youtube.com/user/DiamondInfoMan#p/search/0/jdqbmRbVMV8
 

moosemom

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Jun 3, 2011
Messages
210
Re: HELP: Need to pick between GOG AVC and ERD "Custom" Cush

Another vote for the AVC. I would also suggest asking Jonathan at GOG about doing a legacy type setting if you go with this stone - it would make it easier keeping it all in house.
 

aweiss2k

Rough_Rock
Joined
Sep 21, 2011
Messages
11
Re: HELP: Need to pick between GOG AVC and ERD "Custom" Cush

The ERD stone looks more modern to my eye. I think the GOG AVC would work better in the legacy type setting, although modern stones can certainly work in those settings (there are many round examples). Does GOG have a similar setting? It would be easiest to get both at the same vendor, although you can certainly use different vendors.
Yeah, I agree about getting it all from the same vendor, which was one reason I was looking so closely at the ERD stone. Ultimately, I resolved that this alone should not be a deciding factor. I've asked GOG what they could do vis-a-vis the setting and I'll see what comes back. Nevertheless, I'd rather put the best stone with best setting, even if it means more logistic hassle on my end.
 

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Apr 4, 2010
Messages
9,667
Re: HELP: Need to pick between GOG AVC and ERD "Custom" Cush

aweiss2k|1316626929|3022251 said:
The ERD stone looks more modern to my eye. I think the GOG AVC would work better in the legacy type setting, although modern stones can certainly work in those settings (there are many round examples). Does GOG have a similar setting? It would be easiest to get both at the same vendor, although you can certainly use different vendors.
Yeah, I agree about getting it all from the same vendor, which was one reason I was looking so closely at the ERD stone. Ultimately, I resolved that this alone should not be a deciding factor. I've asked GOG what they could do vis-a-vis the setting and I'll see what comes back. Nevertheless, I'd rather put the best stone with best setting, even if it means more logistic hassle on my end.
I agree...this is why I went for different vendors for stone and setting.
 

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 25, 2009
Messages
7,863
Re: HELP: Need to pick between GOG AVC and ERD "Custom" Cush

I perfer the AVC stone...I think with the bigger facets you will get more of that antique look you are going for. In regards to settings I have seen many tiffany legancy replicas in person and I can say by far, hands down, ERD does the best in my opinion.
 

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 25, 2009
Messages
7,863
Re: HELP: Need to pick between GOG AVC and ERD "Custom" Cush

I perfer the AVC stone...I think with the bigger facets you will get more of that antique look you are going for. In regards to settings I have seen many tiffany legancy replicas in person and I can say by far, hands down, ERD does the best in my opinion.
 

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 23, 2005
Messages
12,664
Re: HELP: Need to pick between GOG AVC and ERD "Custom" Cush

Well, we've seen quite a few of the AVC's set in rings so at least you have some idea about what they look like. I do like the ERD stone though - you won't get those big broad flashes but I sort of like the organization of the ERD stone. Hard to say for sure though without seeing it in person.

I think Excel does great Tiffany replicas - some of them are very close.
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
Re: HELP: Need to pick between GOG AVC and ERD "Custom" Cush

Sacrilege but I MUCH prefer the ERD.
 

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
May 14, 2010
Messages
4,092
Re: HELP: Need to pick between GOG AVC and ERD "Custom" Cush

I seem to prefer the ERD stone, such a unique pattern.
 

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Apr 19, 2010
Messages
3,296
Re: HELP: Need to pick between GOG AVC and ERD "Custom" Cush

I love the chunky look of the AVC but I just can't get past the maltese cross staring at you from the middle of the stone. So my vote is for the ERD stone.
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
Re: HELP: Need to pick between GOG AVC and ERD "Custom" Cush

stargurl78|1316660584|3022615 said:
I love the chunky look of the AVC but I just can't get past the maltese cross staring at you from the middle of the stone. So my vote is for the ERD stone.

THANK YOU! That's my EXACT problem with the AVC's. I adore the center of the ERD stone.

I'm not even a cushion fan and I'd like one of these.
 

MrsBettyBoop

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Mar 3, 2010
Messages
559
Re: HELP: Need to pick between GOG AVC and ERD "Custom" Cush

Both beautiful stones, but I would pick the AVC.
 

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 10, 2004
Messages
7,007
Re: HELP: Need to pick between GOG AVC and ERD "Custom" Cush

These are two very very different diamonds - I don't even know how to compare them. If I had to pick, I would choose the AVCs. I am not loving the ERD diamond ... it almost looks like there are two sets of arrows. One smushed in the table and another arrow head somewhere outside. I would have liked a more clean and elegant look like the other 8 mains modern cushions.

Seperate diamond from setting. You can go to Steven Kirsch, Victor Canera, Leon Mege, BGD, Whiteflash etc fror a Legacy type setting.
 

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Apr 4, 2010
Messages
9,667
Re: HELP: Need to pick between GOG AVC and ERD "Custom" Cush

does ERD have any of their antique style cushions that fit the bill? that could give you another option for comparison
 

aweiss2k

Rough_Rock
Joined
Sep 21, 2011
Messages
11
Re: HELP: Need to pick between GOG AVC and ERD "Custom" Cush

The GOG folks put a video together for me an I am totally sold on the AVC:

http://www.vimeo.com/29401076

Still waiting to see what kind of setting they can do, but like I said I'd rather deal with some extra shipping at the best setting I can afford.
 

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Apr 19, 2010
Messages
3,296
Re: HELP: Need to pick between GOG AVC and ERD "Custom" Cush

Gypsy said:
stargurl78|1316660584|3022615 said:
I love the chunky look of the AVC but I just can't get past the maltese cross staring at you from the middle of the stone. So my vote is for the ERD stone.

THANK YOU! That's my EXACT problem with the AVC's. I adore the center of the ERD stone.

I'm not even a cushion fan and I'd like one of these.


I'm glad you agree with me Gypsy because I felt bad to say it, since there are so many beautiful AVC rings on PS! I just don't think I could ever buy one for myself...


So aweiss2k, what did you decide to go with?
 

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Feb 14, 2005
Messages
3,787
Re: HELP: Need to pick between GOG AVC and ERD "Custom" Cush

stargurl78|1316921138|3024792 said:
Gypsy said:
stargurl78|1316660584|3022615 said:
I love the chunky look of the AVC but I just can't get past the maltese cross staring at you from the middle of the stone. So my vote is for the ERD stone.

THANK YOU! That's my EXACT problem with the AVC's. I adore the center of the ERD stone.

I'm not even a cushion fan and I'd like one of these.


I'm glad you agree with me Gypsy because I felt bad to say it, since there are so many beautiful AVC rings on PS! I just don't think I could ever buy one for myself...
As the owner of a beautiful AVC, I can actually agree with you! The maltese cross does overpower the stone and IMO makes it look smaller sometimes. I love my AVC, but I also still lust after other shapes, and this cushion at ERD is stunning - so unique, without being overpowering! I'd love to see more of them. :)
 

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 10, 2004
Messages
7,007
Re: HELP: Need to pick between GOG AVC and ERD "Custom" Cush

ecf8503|1316956539|3024969 said:
As the owner of a beautiful AVC, I can actually agree with you! The maltese cross does overpower the stone and IMO makes it look smaller sometimes.
I don't think it makes it look smaller but I am not a fan of the large maltese cross either. This is one of the reasons why I still want a true antique stone.
 

aweiss2k

Rough_Rock
Joined
Sep 21, 2011
Messages
11
Re: HELP: Need to pick between GOG AVC and ERD "Custom" Cush

Thanks again to everyone for your thoughts. It was definitely a tough decision (in a good way), but I ended up going with the AVC. Unlike some of the previous posters, I actually like the "Maltese Cross" aspect of the stone. However, I'm going to have Mark at ERD do the setting for me - a custom Legacy replica with a split-shank right at the top. I'll be sure to come back and post some pics once it's done.

Best,
Aaron
 

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Feb 14, 2005
Messages
3,787
Re: HELP: Need to pick between GOG AVC and ERD "Custom" Cush

The stone you chose is beautiful, and I'm sure the final result will be stunning! Please post pics - :)
 

moosemom

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Jun 3, 2011
Messages
210
Re: HELP: Need to pick between GOG AVC and ERD "Custom" Cush

Congratulations - I think the stone you chose is beautiful. I too love the maltese cross in the AVC's - in fact, that is one of the reasons I was drawn to them in the first place. I can't wait to see pictures of the finished ring.
 

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Mar 28, 2001
Messages
6,275
Re: HELP: Need to pick between GOG AVC and ERD "Custom" Cush

CharmyPoo|1316980042|3025264 said:
ecf8503|1316956539|3024969 said:
As the owner of a beautiful AVC, I can actually agree with you! The maltese cross does overpower the stone and IMO makes it look smaller sometimes.
I don't think it makes it look smaller but I am not a fan of the large maltese cross either. This is one of the reasons why I still want a true antique stone.
If I may ask Charmy, and if you had your choice ... in diamonds cut in the vintage facet design you have one of 4 different options.

1. Primarily head/body obstruction under the table.
2. Primarily light leakage under the table, resulting in more of a crushed ice look under the table.
3. A mixture of one or both of the above with some light return resulting in smaller broken up reflections.
4. Each of the primary mains under the table reflecting light (AVC).

If you could change anything about the optics of your diamond what would it be?

In genuine antiques you generally don't have that choice. You got what you got as they were not cut for optics whatsoever. But if you could take away the bold reflections of light you experience in natural lighting what would you suggest replacing those reflections with? Curious.

Kind regards,
 

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 10, 2004
Messages
7,007
Re: HELP: Need to pick between GOG AVC and ERD "Custom" Cush

Rhino|1317145145|3026990 said:
CharmyPoo|1316980042|3025264 said:
ecf8503|1316956539|3024969 said:
As the owner of a beautiful AVC, I can actually agree with you! The maltese cross does overpower the stone and IMO makes it look smaller sometimes.
I don't think it makes it look smaller but I am not a fan of the large maltese cross either. This is one of the reasons why I still want a true antique stone.
If I may ask Charmy, and if you had your choice ... in diamonds cut in the vintage facet design you have one of 4 different options.

1. Primarily head/body obstruction under the table.
2. Primarily light leakage under the table, resulting in more of a crushed ice look under the table.
3. A mixture of one or both of the above with some light return resulting in smaller broken up reflections.
4. Each of the primary mains under the table reflecting light (AVC).

If you could change anything about the optics of your diamond what would it be?

In genuine antiques you generally don't have that choice. You got what you got as they were not cut for optics whatsoever. But if you could take away the bold reflections of light you experience in natural lighting what would you suggest replacing those reflections with? Curious.

Kind regards,
Argh .. I just typed a reply and lost it.

Short of it ... I would pick #4 which is evident in my choice for an AVC as my e-ring. If given the choice again, I would still purchase the AVC as there is nothing else on the market that compares. With that said, for a RHR - I would be willing to make scarfices and select #1-3.

It is an excellent quesiton - what would I give up and replace those reflections with? I guess it would have to be #1-3 but I must admit I never thought of it that way. Very interested to hear what others think.
 

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Mar 28, 2001
Messages
6,275
Re: HELP: Need to pick between GOG AVC and ERD "Custom" Cush

CharmyPoo|1317163157|3027312 said:
Rhino|1317145145|3026990 said:
CharmyPoo|1316980042|3025264 said:
ecf8503|1316956539|3024969 said:
As the owner of a beautiful AVC, I can actually agree with you! The maltese cross does overpower the stone and IMO makes it look smaller sometimes.
I don't think it makes it look smaller but I am not a fan of the large maltese cross either. This is one of the reasons why I still want a true antique stone.
If I may ask Charmy, and if you had your choice ... in diamonds cut in the vintage facet design you have one of 4 different options.

1. Primarily head/body obstruction under the table.
2. Primarily light leakage under the table, resulting in more of a crushed ice look under the table.
3. A mixture of one or both of the above with some light return resulting in smaller broken up reflections.
4. Each of the primary mains under the table reflecting light (AVC).

If you could change anything about the optics of your diamond what would it be?

In genuine antiques you generally don't have that choice. You got what you got as they were not cut for optics whatsoever. But if you could take away the bold reflections of light you experience in natural lighting what would you suggest replacing those reflections with? Curious.

Kind regards,
Argh .. I just typed a reply and lost it.

Short of it ... I would pick #4 which is evident in my choice for an AVC as my e-ring. If given the choice again, I would still purchase the AVC as there is nothing else on the market that compares. With that said, for a RHR - I would be willing to make scarfices and select #1-3.

It is an excellent quesiton - what would I give up and replace those reflections with? I guess it would have to be #1-3 but I must admit I never thought of it that way. Very interested to hear what others think.
I appreciate your reply Charmy.

I too am interested to hear what other would replace those reflections with if they just can't stand all those nasty pastels reflecting back at them. :rodent:

Options 1 & 2 ... easy finds. Dime a dozen. #3 can virtually be achieved in a modern faceted cushion. (scattered reflections).
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    5.5 Carat Diamond Upgrade
    5.5 Carat Diamond Upgrade
    Style File: Julia Roberts
    Style File: Julia Roberts
    Top 5 Honeymoon Destinations
    Top 5 Honeymoon Destinations

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top