shape
carat
color
clarity

Help my buddy find an antique-style ring for $1000-1500

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey folks! I had a huge thread of inspiration for my best bud who is searching for his gal ([URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-bff-is-getting-engaged-can-we-help-him-find-a-ring.217235/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-bff-is-getting-engaged-can-we-help-him-find-a-ring.217235/[/URL]). He's ready to propose and I am ecstatic! But the ring is the thing, and the budget is set in stone (pun intended).

Can it be done? Her ring size is 7, and she leans towards the white metals. My buddy doesn't prefer the super blingy diamonds everywhere options. This is her Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/serenity89/vena-amoris/

If you can find anything within budget, I would be super grateful! Thanks in advance :)

Wish list:

• White Gold
    Antique/vintage style
    Size 7 (or re-size possible)
    Halo is nice but not necessary
    Side stones are nice but not necessary
    Round or oval centre diamond

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blue Nile has the coolest new setting. And it's cheap to boot. Get the referral discount going he would have over 1k for the stone. I think the proportions are great for about a half ct stone

picsart_12-21-12.jpg

picsart_7.jpg

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love that one niel. It looks very similar to the one she recently pinned too!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
this H sig ideal with the referral discount should put him just a bit over 1500 (like 13 bucks)

LD04344483

alamana

Shiny_Rock
Niel|1450719215|3964327 said:
Blue Nile has the coolest new setting. And it's cheap to boot. Get the referral discount going he would have over 1k for the stone. I think the proportions are great for about a half ct stone

That setting is clearly a winner. Looks very much like what is all over her Pinterest board, and I've been looking but I'm not finding any estate stuff that would work well in that budget (I think inventory must be low b/c folks have bought up the good stuff for the holidays?).

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1450719215|3964327 said:
Definitely a great addition to BN's selection of settings -- thanks for drawing attention to it, Niel!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the setting Niel referenced for you.

Just to add, however, you can find stones on BN with stats which are just as good as their Signature cuts, but without the premium. The stones which aren't Signature cuts are NOT necessarily lesser quality. They're just not cut by BN cutters. There's plenty of excellent cutters in Asia, Scandinavia and Europe, which is where the majority of the non-Signature cut stones are cut.

Try *this* stone....

LD06511736

It's an I SI1 - same color as the side stones in the ring, so it should look just fine. It's also a little larger (.2mm, which is the size difference at which most people can perceive a difference in diameter in diamonds), and it scores .9 on the HCA. Its stats are lovely and it should sparkle like the clappers! It's also half a carat exactly, which is a significant cut off for a lot of people.

Good luck!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mrs-blop|1450738626|3964480 said:

Just to add, however, you can find stones on BN with stats which are just as good as their Signature cuts, but without the premium. The stones which aren't Signature cuts are NOT necessarily lesser quality. They're just not cut by BN cutters. There's plenty of excellent cutters in Asia, Scandinavia and Europe, which is where the majority of the non-Signature cut stones are cut.

Try *this* stone....

LD06511736

It's an I SI1 - same color as the side stones in the ring, so it should look just fine. It's also a little larger (.2mm, which is the size difference at which most people can perceive a difference in diameter in diamonds), and it scores .9 on the HCA. Its stats are lovely and it should sparkle like the clappers! It's also half a carat exactly, which is a significant cut off for a lot of people.

Good luck!

The reason I suggested that stone is not because it was a signature, but because it was the best looking stone in her budget, in my opinion. Some of their stones show video and pictures, and a lot of the SI stones in my opinion where too included. Not that this may not be lovely, just makes me nervous to buy one you can't see a pic of.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's a fabulous setting!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1450739896|3964485 said:

Try *this* stone....

LD06511736

Good luck!

The reason I suggested that stone is not because it was a signature, but because it was the best looking stone in her budget, in my opinion. Some of their stones show video and pictures, and a lot of the SI stones in my opinion where too included. Not that this may not be lovely, just makes me nervous to buy one you can't see a pic of.

Niel -

My suggestion of a non-Sig cut stone wasn't a response to your suggestion. I thought the stone you recommended looks lovely. But I have a lot of experience buying from BN, and at sizes of half a ct, I'm happy to buy based on stats alone and on the recommendation of the BN sales assistants, who, in my experience, always give very honest and clear recommendations. When a budget is tight, it's important to squeeze out every dollar, and that's one way to get a sliiiightly larger stone without sacrificing the look of the stone. And I'd be trying to get to the 1/2 ct cut off mark, which a lot of people find as significant as the 1ct mark.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mrs-blop|1450781252|3964724 said:

Try *this* stone....

LD06511736

Good luck!

Niel -

My suggestion of a non-Sig cut stone wasn't a response to your suggestion. I thought the stone you recommended looks lovely. But I have a lot of experience buying from BN, and at sizes of half a ct, I'm happy to buy based on stats alone and on the recommendation of the BN sales assistants, who, in my experience, always give very honest and clear recommendations. When a budget is tight, it's important to squeeze out every dollar, and that's one way to get a sliiiightly larger stone without sacrificing the look of the stone. And I'd be trying to get to the 1/2 ct cut off mark, which a lot of people find as significant as the 1ct mark.

Ok. I'm sure that stones lovely if its eye clean. As I said, its no guarantee it is, and that is why I didn't suggest one that wasn't accompanied by a photo.

It would be awesome to get the .5c mark :)

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1450788024|3964737 said:
mrs-blop|1450781252|3964724 said:

Try *this* stone....

LD06511736

Good luck!

Niel -

Ok. I'm sure that stones lovely if its eye clean. As I said, its no guarantee it is, and that is why I didn't suggest one that wasn't accompanied by a photo.

It would be awesome to get the .5c mark :)

Agreed.

Just as an FYI - BN will inspect the stone for you and give you an honest opinion. I've done this with them many times, and on occasion have had them say to me "This probably won't meet your requirements." They're very reliable that way and they give an honest opinion.

At .5ct, I would expect an SI1 to be eye clean, but either way, BN will contact the person holding the stone and tell you promptly if it is or it isn't. They're good that way.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good information to know Mrs.B.

I really do like that setting an awful lot.

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
I really like that setting too.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey Niel, I really like that setting! That being said, my buddy has narrowed it down to two options: one from stuller, and one from blue nile. Also he has to decide between oval or round. Please, I'd love to hear pros and cons! He will likely decide within the week, as he hopes to propose on Valentine's Day :)

Blue Nile:

imageuploadedbytapatalk1451614182.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1451614210.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1451614244.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1451614272.jpg

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium

imageuploadedbytapatalk1451614768.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1451614955.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1451615001.jpg

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium

imageuploadedbytapatalk1451615026.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Blue Nile, with round, IMO .

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blue Nile round

RissaLou

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My personal favorite is the oval from blue Nile, just a little more unique and appealing to me. The oval might make wedding band shopping slightly more difficult though, since rounds are more common.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great feedback! What if I were to add that we can get the Stuller setting for far cheaper? I can get wholesale price for that because I know a jeweller... But the blue Nile one is really gorgeous, and also shows up on his gf's Pinterest.

Question: I like how the Stuller mount tapers in. I feel like the tapering in makes the centre stone look bigger, no? But then maybe I'm just biased because it's more affordable... Ack!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It looks cheaper too.

I really don't see what the issue is at this point. You have a gorgeous setting. In budget. That is on her pinterest page. Stop agonizing and get her what she wants.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy said:
It looks cheaper too.

I really don't see what the issue is at this point. You have a gorgeous setting. In budget. That is on her pinterest page. Stop agonizing and get her what she wants.

Bluntly put, but I have to agree! Thanks for the input! I'll definitely post pics when he gives it to her. :)

Also, I wouldn't mind if people posted their fave half carat rounds off of blue Nile! You guys are such an invaluable resource, and I appreciate all the help.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, I think someone mentioned a referral code discount for Blue Nile. How does that work?

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry - just realized there were some stone suggestions up above. Thank you! :)

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
IMO tapering in to the stone gives a ring a very old fashioned spin

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pearaffair|1451632720|3969209 said:
Gypsy said:
It looks cheaper too.

Bluntly put, but I have to agree! Thanks for the input! I'll definitely post pics when he gives it to her. :)

Also, I wouldn't mind if people posted their fave half carat rounds off of blue Nile! You guys are such an invaluable resource, and I appreciate all the help.

Now that he's paying 700 for the setting in not sure he can afford a half ct

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel said:
pearaffair|1451632720|3969209 said:
Gypsy said:
It looks cheaper too.

Now that he's paying 700 for the setting in not sure he can afford a half ct

I think he can get a 0.40-0.44... We'll see :)

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy said:
It looks cheaper too.

Gypsy, I am still learning. So that I can get better at shopping for pretty sparklies, can you tell me what it is about the Stuller setting that makes it look cheaper? Thank you in advance for furthering my education in pretty sparklies :)

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could you share the number of that Stuller semi-mount or the link to the online catalog page for it; although I found a somewhat similar (more expensive ) one, I wasn't able to quickly retrieve the right page from the Stuller web site.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results