carat
color
clarity

Help my buddy find an antique-style ring for $1000-1500

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MollyMalone|1451675605|3969329 said:
Could you share the number of that Stuller semi-mount or the link to the online catalog page for it; although I found a somewhat similar (more expensive ) one, I wasn't able to quickly retrieve the right page from the Stuller web site.

Certainly!

Item #: 122395:837:razz:

This is actually a ring mount that was suggested by a PS member in my previous thread for my buddy. I feel badly to understand now that it is a cheap (in every way) option. I don't want to steer him in the wrong direction! I want his lovely gf to receive a ring that is beautiful and will last.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey!

This is the diamond, I believe, he should get.

LD06569507 - search that on blue Nile.

Do the referral discount and that will be under 1500

Though I still like the cheaper bn setting, a friend of mine has that setting you are considering from bn - had a 5mm stone in it, and the proportions where perfect.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel said:
Hey!

Though I still like the cheaper bn setting, a friend of mine has that setting you are considering from bn - had a 5mm stone in it, and the proportions where perfect.

Sorry to be so obtuse, but how do I get the referral discount?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pearaffair|1451696079|3969448 said:
Niel said:
Hey!

http://www.bluenile.com/inside-blue-nile/refer-a-friend

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel said:
Niel said:
Hey!

Woah, awesome! Thanks Niel!

I like the looks of the diamond you picked. Do you think the excellent cut will mask the fact that it's a J? Should I try to find an "I"? What do you think? I'll go review some threads that give tips on how to pick a diamond, but if you want to give me some insight into your selection process known I'd find that very helpful. I want to be able to explain to my friend why he should buy this diamond over another one. :)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pearaffair|1451696546|3969453 said:
Niel said:
Niel said:
Hey!

I like the looks of the diamond you picked. Do you think the excellent cut will mask the fact that it's a J? Should I try to find an "I"? What do you think? I'll go review some threads that give tips on how to pick a diamond, but if you want to give me some insight into your selection process known I'd find that very helpful. I want to be able to explain to my friend why he should buy this diamond over another one. :)

I do not think in the size under a ct you will notice the color size of a I vs j.

I chose this one because :
You can't the diamond so you're safe at a vs2, and even expanding your search to a si1, didnt, in my opinion, result in any potentially better stones.
I narrowed my search options to ex symm stones that are no deeper than 62.1, table 56 or below to make it easier to narrow down the well cut ones. med fluor or less because again, we can't see pics so this will make sure you don't get one that's over blueing. 46 points or higher to get to the 5mm mark.

After narrowing it down, I looked at the certificate of each one to see which had the " most acceptable " inclusions and the best angles. I personally prefer the lower half facets at 75%, the angles of this stone were good, the inclusions seem fine, its very close to half ct, the color is fine, and the price is right.

Of course you can go through them if you don't agree. But I think that's the best.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1451697223|3969455 said:
pearaffair|1451696546|3969453 said:
Niel said:
Niel said:
Hey!

I do not think in the size under a ct you will notice the color size of a I vs j.

I chose this one because :
You can't the diamond so you're safe at a vs2, and even expanding your search to a si1, didnt, in my opinion, result in any potentially better stones.
I narrowed my search options to ex symm stones that are no deeper than 62.1, table 56 or below to make it easier to narrow down the well cut ones. med fluor or less because again, we can't see pics so this will make sure you don't get one that's over blueing. 46 points or higher to get to the 5mm mark.

After narrowing it down, I looked at the certificate of each one to see which had the " most acceptable " inclusions and the best angles. I personally prefer the lower half facets at 75%, the angles of this stone were good, the inclusions seem fine, its very close to half ct, the color is fine, and the price is right.

Of course you can go through them if you don't agree. But I think that's the best.

Thank you so much for explaining in detail! I'm really keen to learn as I go along, and this helps a lot. :appl:
I have to agree with you, the stone you mentioned sounds like the best option. My buddy should be able to talk to me on Monday when he's at work (at home it's too risky) so I'll update when I know what he thinks. I expect he'll be ready to purchase very very soon!!! :dance:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with Neil on stone choice. That J is the perfect stone for this situation. It will be gorgeous. You don't need an I.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1451709145|3969511 said:
I agree with Neil on stone choice. That J is the perfect stone for this situation. It will be gorgeous. You don't need an I.

Cool. As they say, "Why pay for a difference you can't see?"

PLUS. My buddy's name starts with a "J". So that's cool :dance:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I prefer the less expensive BN setting too Neil. I think its the most elegant one, and honestly, I would even like it for myself. But if she's pinned the other one, it will be nice to get her what she wants.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy said:
I prefer the less expensive BN setting too Neil. I think its the most elegant one, and honestly, I would even like it for myself. But if she's pinned the other one, it will be nice to get her what she wants.

Yeah - definitely the safer choice! Like you said Gypsy, we know for a fact she likes that one, so no problem :)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1451714245|3969535 said:
I agree. That's the best bet.

I just wonder if say, sense that's a new setting, I'd she might like it when she saw it.
Maybe pearaffair might send that pin to her ?

But I was just saying I like it more, doesn't mean the other one is bad. I've seen it in person, if wa absolutely lovely with the stone aizs you're considering

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1451747247|3969634 said:
Gypsy|1451714245|3969535 said:
I agree. That's the best bet.

I just wonder if say, sense that's a new setting, I'd she might like it when she saw it.
Maybe pearaffair might send that pin to her ?

But I was just saying I like it more, doesn't mean the other one is bad. I've seen it in person, if wa absolutely lovely with the stone aizs you're considering

All excellent points! Because it's new, she totally (probably) hasn't seen it. So I'll show my buddy and say, hey dude, do you prefer this one or this one? I bet she'd like both. And then he can let style and price point decide :)

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eeeeee!!! :love: I'm jumping out of my seat! My friend just purchased the ring!!!! With the stone Niel recommended. Omg he's going to love it! He gave me permission to post final cost and also a pic when he gets it! Thank you thank you for all of your help! Sooo greatly appreciated! :appl:

$1,494.00 USD was the total price. Very respectable! Came in under budget! :naughty: He could have saved $15 but didn't feel like doing the bank wire transfer.

He's proposing on Valentine's Day. I'll keep you guys posted! Thank you!!!! :dance:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pearaffair|1451852496|3970054 said:
Eeeeee!!! :love: I'm jumping out of my seat! My friend just purchased the ring!!!! With the stone Niel recommended. Omg he's going to love it! He gave me permission to post final cost and also a pic when he gets it! Thank you thank you for all of your help! Sooo greatly appreciated! :appl:

$1,494.00 USD was the total price. Very respectable! Came in under budget! :naughty: He could have saved $15 but didn't feel like doing the bank wire transfer.

He's proposing on Valentine's Day. I'll keep you guys posted! Thank you!!!! :dance:

Yeah 15 bucks wouldn't have been worth the trouble lol.

Yay! You're going to love if, so will she. Can't wait to see pics and head your thoughts. Glad that stone was still available

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1451853200|3970063 said:
pearaffair|1451852496|3970054 said:

Yeah 15 bucks wouldn't have been worth the trouble lol.

Yay! You're going to love if, so will she. Can't wait to see pics and head your thoughts. Glad that stone was still available

Yes - me too! So glad the diamond was still available!!! Also, I live so far away from this couple, I can't wait to see pics!!! I will definitely share :)

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring arrived!!! It's a terrible photo, but hey, he's no PS'er, and I'll have more pics post-Valentine's Day when he proposes :)

Thanks again for all your help!

_36015.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well the photo doesn't mean much at that distance but looking good. Did he say he likes it?????

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know, it's like the WORST photo ever!! LOL! But he lives with his gf, and they work the same hours, so it's hard for him to sneakily snap picks... I guess this one is just a teaser, and I'll post the real ones very soon! He loves the ring, but he doesn't know much about rings so I think he's just happy that that part is done :D

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the stone he picked in the end! Did he go with the lovely BN vintage style ring that Niel recommended? I can't tell from that photo.

ETA Sorry - just realized she prefers the other style. I do love that vintage-style ring though. Like Gypsy, I wouldn't mind one like that for myself!

RockOnReen

Shiny_Rock
I've been following this thread from the beginning and would LOVE to see more photos so please make sure your friend sends lots! As always, I'm so impressed by the thoughtful, well educated, in-budget suggestions from PSers. You guys rock (so to speak)! :love:

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a wonderful community there is here!! I will definitely post pics once he has proposed... less than a month to wait! :naughty:

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Less than a week to go!!!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yaaaaay they're engaged!!!!!!
d5d51439f1e524a9de3fad80b52bed58.jpg

Happy Valentine's Day, everyone!
And thank you again for all of your help!!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks great! Does she like it?

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She loves it!
333c17573bc59a2526fc2a630bda476d.jpg

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aw, congratulations to your friends! It's such a pretty ring and it looks beautiful on her, manicure and all!! :appl:

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks! It's thanks to the help of everyone here :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results