shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me with thick timeless chain

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I picture it being worn similiar to a pearl necklace. I think it would go well with my office wear when I return back to work in another year. I was trying to find examples of similiar necklaces and the closest I could find was this
0865C20E-98B9-4C11-A9B1-3072529D7B48.png
I think it’s really quite cool and very different to a classic chain link. It would go well with a suit jacket for sure.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A couple of things to consider are the price of any gold necklace will be based on the both the weight in grams and the karat of the gold.

Currently the spot price of pure gold is approximately $1,950 per troy ounce, so price per gram varies depending upon gold karat purity:
18K: $47 per gram
22K: $57.50 per gram
24K; $63 per gram
Note a 22K necklace will cost 20% more than an 18K necklace of the same weight.

Different vendors will add varying markups to the spot price per gram. Maybe as low as 20%, sometimes as high as 100% for name brands. Estate gold necklaces dealers usually have the lowest markups. My wife bought her 94gram, 17x9/16", 18K necklace last year from an auction site for $54 per gram.

Gold Chain 1.jpg Gold Chain 4.jpg

The trick before you buy is to make sure the chain is the perfect length, and the link design is classic to your eyes. Get these two answers right and the chain will be worn many, many times.

FWIW 10 minutes in a sonic cleaner will make any pre-loved gold necklace both eye and mind clean! ;)2

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
A couple of things to consider are the price of any gold necklace will be based on the both the weight in grams and the karat of the gold.

Currently the spot price of pure gold is approximately $1,950 per troy ounce, so price per gram varies depending upon gold karat purity:
24K; $63 per gram

Different vendors will add varying markups to the spot price per gram. Maybe as low as 20%, sometimes as high as 100% for name brands. Estate gold necklaces dealers usually have the lowest markups. My wife bought her 94gram, 17x9/16", 18K necklace last year from an auction site for $54 per gram.

The trick before you buy is to make sure the chain is the perfect length, and the link design is classic to your eyes. Get these two answers right and the chain will be worn many, many times.

FWIW 10 minutes in a sonic cleaner will make any pre-loved gold necklace both eye and mind clean! ;)2

Thank you for your reply and all the advice. That chain is beautiful and at such a great price. Would you mind sharing the vendor you were able to purchase this from ? Any other estate dealers you suggest that have 22k and 24k pieces ?

chere

Shiny_Rock
Have you thought about using a Stylist to help define your look? You may only need one home visit. They can go through your wardrobe to see what you have, point out what you’re missing (wardrobe gaps) and help you come up with a list of what to look for. They look at everything. Clothes, shoes, bags, jackets, jewelry & accessories.

The necklace @prs found is what I want. I could easily wear it to the office, at home in yoga pants and a hoodie, out to dinner or to a black tie dinner.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is 70 grams of 24k gold. It has a 40% markup from the cost of gold weight. Which is quite significant of a loss if I were to sell it. I wish I was like some of the other PSers in this forum that have such a clear vision about how they want their look to be and can then clearly built towards it. I feel like an indecisive scatter brain. First world problems I guess

For some of us finding our own personal style is a life long journey with some missteps and a few grand moments along the way
But its how you wear something - from the inside of oneself that counts
You just gotta get a great song in your head and rock it and honestly who cares if no one else gets it !

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your reply and all the advice. That chain is beautiful and at such a great price. Would you mind sharing the vendor you were able to purchase this from ? Any other estate dealers you suggest that have 22k and 24k pieces ?

We bought the chain from Heritage Auctions out of Dallas, but they hold previews in Los Angeles, Chicago, and New York. We also like Bonhams Auctions out of Los Angeles. There's usually an auction once per month and you just have to wait for the right piece to come along.

Bonhams also held auctions out of New York and that's where the name brand are usually auctioned. This is similar to Christie's and Sotheby's out of New York where it's mostly high end name brands. There is always a big premium for these high end brands!

Jewels and chains are made almost exclusively in 14K, 18K, or Pt in the USA. I am not aware of any jewelers working in 22K. We are great friends with our next door neighbors who are from India. All her jewelry is fabulous and in 22K, I believe all of it originated in India and is in a more typically Indian style. Her bracelets and necklaces are gorgeous but again more Indian in style than in American or European style.

I'm so sorry, but I don't know where 22K might be readily available in the USA.

It is 70 grams of 24k gold. It has a 40% markup from the cost of gold weight. Which is quite significant of a loss if I were to sell it. I wish I was like some of the other PSers in this forum that have such a clear vision about how they want their look to be and can then clearly built towards it. I feel like an indecisive scatter brain. First world problems I guess

My personal advice would be to take some time - really take some time - until you’re sure.

To share an experience of mine - I was obsessed with oddiyanam (Indian temple jewelry belts) for a long time. I knew I wouldn’t wear it everyday, but I figured I would wear it often for special occasions. After dithering, I bought a costume version to test it out - and realised that I want to wear it so infrequently that a costume version is just fine for me.

Is a similar-ish costume one available? That would be an option to try out the style to see if this is really what you want. Alternatively try and find something that beats this one if you can. If you keep coming back to this, then this is what you want and this is what you should get.

Have you tried showing this in desi stores to see if they can do something similar for you?

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
For some of us finding our own personal style is a life long journey with some missteps and a few grand moments along the way
But its how you wear something - from the inside of oneself that counts
You just gotta get a great song in your head and rock it and honestly who cares if no one else gets it !

I love this comment so much. Thank you!

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
We bought the chain from Heritage Auctions out of Dallas, but they hold previews in Los Angeles, Chicago, and New York. We also like Bonhams Auctions out of Los Angeles. There's usually an auction once per month and you just have to wait for the right piece to come along.

Bonhams also held auctions out of New York and that's where the name brand are usually auctioned. This is similar to Christie's and Sotheby's out of New York where it's mostly high end name brands. There is always a big premium for these high end brands!

Jewels and chains are made almost exclusively in 14K, 18K, or Pt in the USA. I am not aware of any jewelers working in 22K. We are great friends with our next door neighbors who are from India. All her jewelry is fabulous and in 22K, I believe all of it originated in India and is in a more typically Indian style. Her bracelets and necklaces are gorgeous but again more Indian in style than in American or European style.

I'm so sorry, but I don't know where 22K might be readily available in the USA.

Thank you. I have to look into these auction houses!

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
My personal advice would be to take some time - really take some time - until you’re sure.

To share an experience of mine - I was obsessed with oddiyanam (Indian temple jewelry belts) for a long time. I knew I wouldn’t wear it everyday, but I figured I would wear it often for special occasions. After dithering, I bought a costume version to test it out - and realised that I want to wear it so infrequently that a costume version is just fine for me.

Is a similar-ish costume one available? That would be an option to try out the style to see if this is really what you want. Alternatively try and find something that beats this one if you can. If you keep coming back to this, then this is what you want and this is what you should get.

Have you tried showing this in desi stores to see if they can do something similar for you?

Thank you for your reply. I think taking some more time to think about it is best. I will look on Etsy/Amazon to buy some cheap chains to try out style/thickness/length etc

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
Vendor just replied with some pictures. After seeing them, I think I still like it. I think I would get some wear over the years (especially with office wear). just not sure if I like it enough to spend 6k on it (especially since I just ordered aca studs and pendant ). DB67E784-CDD9-4192-ABF5-B87BAF45DA37.jpeg

Attachments

• 4219124D-026F-4317-B3B3-449A92C9E5EB.jpeg
    4219124D-026F-4317-B3B3-449A92C9E5EB.jpeg
    183.8 KB · Views: 88

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock

24K; $63 per gram

This looks gorgeous on your wife! Classic with presence but not over-the-top. Perfection!

Reactions: prs
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results