shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me with thick timeless chain

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
Hello fellow PSrs. I’m trying to be more mindful of the purchases I make in order to build a capsule collection. I realized in the past I have just bought on a whim/impulse and I hardly wear those pieces. Also I’m trying to focus on quality rather than quantity.
With all this said, I have a $4k usd budget for something to add to my collection. I was thinking of a big chunky chain that would be my daily wear chain. Something that can be dressed down or be somewhat dressy (with summer dresses at least ). This chain will be in 22 or 24k gold. Problem is that almost everything I see like this appears to be “trendy” and not sure if it will withstand the test of time. I want something I can wear now (36) as well as 20+ years from now. So I’m turning to you effortlessly classy ladies for some inspiration on styles. Here are some pictures from found online of readymade high carat gold chains but the custom route is also an option.
Thank you for all your guidance 5FBD0203-27FE-4145-B934-6CE3E7BED7E8.png

Attachments

• 83B8E41B-36CD-4A0F-91B0-4BEBCC5516F7.png
    83B8E41B-36CD-4A0F-91B0-4BEBCC5516F7.png
    520.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 4CB8546A-2441-42D3-A8B8-5E6725099396.png
    4CB8546A-2441-42D3-A8B8-5E6725099396.png
    354.5 KB · Views: 15

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Hello Dhimer :wavey:

I think you are wise to focus on building a capsule wardrobe of classic, well made jewelry pieces.

I believe a solid, substantial gold chain (in whichever color gold suits your complexion and your clothing wardrobe best) is a great foundation piece. Fashion is cyclical. Different looks go in and out and back in/out of style. But I do believe there is always a place for "classic."

Everyone must decide for themselves what works for their lifestyle, sense of aesthetics, wallet, etc. Here are my own thoughts/opinions about buying such a chain, but they are based on my life (not necessarily yours.)

I would buy an 18K gold necklace, I personally wouldn't buy 22 or 24K. The jewelry designers I respect most craft using 18K (Cartier, VCA, Bvlgari, Tiffany, Harry Winston, Faberger, Graff, etc) and I believe they do it for a reason. 18K chains are both beautiful and practical. I find 24 K much too soft and prone to denting and breaking. But I know other parts of the world often prefer 22/24K, (I'm in the US) so perhaps this is why you are wanting a higher gold content.

I love the look of vintage chains, and would happily buy one preloved. I find vintage ones often have a softer patina that keeps them from being overly shiny. I follow OldMineShop on IG and they often post gorgeous ones from different decade, but they are all classic foundation pieces in my opinion. I bought an 18K rose gold Bismark chain that I love and wear all the time. I've also seen some classic 18K necklaces on TheRealReal and various vendors on RubyLane.

As for how "chunky" to go, it is a matter of personal choice. For me and my circle, I want a necklace with presence and substance, but non one that's going to make me look like Mr. T. I prefer the look of the second one you posted to the first one. I don't care for the rope-style with that large of a diameter (but the curb link in the firs image is nice.) I personally would not layer necklaces as large as these, I see them more as stand-alone items.

A final thought -- some necklaces can snag clothing. I have a rope-style necklace (inherited it) that I don't wear because it catches fabric like crazy. Not saying all ropes or wheat chains do this, but some do. Just be sure that's something you check when you're necklace arrives and you still are within your return window. Try it on against a sweater or knit top for awhile to make sure it does no harm.

Let us know what you decide!

Last edited:

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
These are sold, but I think they are lovely and super classic:

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
Hello Dhimer :wavey:

I think you are wise to focus on building a capsule wardrobe of classic, well made jewelry pieces.

I believe a solid, substantial gold chain (in whichever color gold suits your complexion and your clothing wardrobe best) is a great foundation piece. Fashion is cyclical. Different looks go in and out and back in/out of style. But I do believe there is always a place for "classic."

Everyone must decide for themselves what works for their lifestyle, sense of aesthetics, wallet, etc. Here are my own thoughts/opinions about buying such a chain, but they are based on my life (not necessarily yours.)

I would buy an 18K gold necklace, I personally wouldn't buy 22 or 24K. The jewelry designers I respect most craft using 18K (Cartier, VCA, Bvlgari, Tiffany, Harry Winston, Faberger, Graff, etc) and I believe they do it for a reason. 18K chains are both beautiful and practical. I find 24 K much too soft and prone to denting and breaking. But I know other parts of the world often prefer 22/24K, (I'm in the US) so perhaps this is why you are wanting a higher gold content.

I love the look of vintage chains, and would happily buy one preloved. I find vintage ones often have a softer patina that keeps them from being overly shiny. I follow OldMineShop on IG and they often post gorgeous ones from different decade, but they are all classic foundation pieces in my opinion. I bought an 18K rose gold Bismark chain that I love and wear all the time. I've also seen some classic 18K necklaces on TheRealReal and various vendors on RubyLane.

As for how "chunky" to go, it is a matter of personal choice. For me and my circle, I want a necklace with presence and substance, but non one that's going to make me look like Mr. T. I prefer the look of the second one you posted to the first one. I don't care for the rope-style with that large of a diameter (but the curb link in the firs image is nice.) I personally would not layer necklaces as large as these, I see them more as stand-alone items.

A final thought -- some necklaces can snag clothing. I have a rope-style necklace (inherited it) that I don't wear because it catches fabric like crazy. Not saying all ropes or wheat chains do this, but some do. Just be sure that's something you check when you're necklace arrives and you still are within your return window. Try it on against a sweater or knit top for awhile to make sure it does no harm.

Let us know what you decide!

Thank you so much for your reply. I was starting to question myself on wether a thicker chain is a foundation piece that will withstand time. Or simply a current fad that I would not be able/want to wear them in few years.

I loooove the third chain you linked. I must track one down. And thank you for the vendor name. I have not come across this one on IG but I now have started following. Will update thread with a purchase :)

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The “timeless” chain styles would be Belcher and Curb.
The one chain I wouldn’t recommended is “box”, if a link breaks you can’t repair the chain.
An issue for flat and Omega chain styles is if they get a “kink” in them, its there forever.
I wouldn’t choose 22k or higher. At that assay the chain links would be soft enough to bend out of shape and because friction occurs where chain links touch, you are much more likely over time to wear away where they touch.
18k is a good wearable gold assay, platinum is best if you like white metal.

chere

Shiny_Rock
I wouldn't worry about trends. Buy what you like.

When I was building my career wardrobe over 10 years ago, I bought a statement necklace in gold and silver. I love these pieces and wear them more than I thought I would. I can dress them up or down; wear them to a black tie gala or with a t-shirt and jeans. I’m not ready to retire them until I find their replacement in gold and silver/platinum.

I once saw a vintage convertible long chain that could double up into a 18” necklace or different lengths. Now I must have one, in gold and un-plated sterling silver, for my capsule. This works for me and my style.

I need to buy yellow gold in person. Orange yellow gold from India or Asia looks great on me. Soft buttery yellow gold from Italy makes my skin look sallow and washed out. Also I’m allergic to nickel.

I like solid gold links. I would avoid hallow pieces.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much for your reply. I was starting to question myself on wether a thicker chain is a foundation piece that will withstand time. Or simply a current fad that I would not be able/want to wear them in few years.

I loooove the third chain you linked. I must track one down. And thank you for the vendor name. I have not come across this one on IG but I now have started following. Will update thread with a purchase :)

Definatly a foundation piece that will stand around chuckling when all the minimalistic teeny -tiny -i need binoculars to see them- fine gold chains get lost, broken or scraped

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
The “timeless” chain styles would be Belcher and Curb.
The one chain I wouldn’t recommended is “box”, if a link breaks you can’t repair the chain.
An issue for flat and Omega chain styles is if they get a “kink” in them, its there forever.
I wouldn’t choose 22k or higher. At that assay the chain links would be soft enough to bend out of shape and because friction occurs where chain links touch, you are much more likely over time to wear away where they touch.
18k is a good wearable gold assay, platinum is best if you like white metal.

Thank you for the feedback. It’s good to know which styles to stay away from :)

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
I wouldn't worry about trends. Buy what you like.

When I was building my career wardrobe over 10 years ago, I bought a statement necklace in gold and silver. I love these pieces and wear them more than I thought I would. I can dress them up or down; wear them to a black tie gala or with a t-shirt and jeans. I’m not ready to retire them until I find their replacement in gold and silver/platinum.

I once saw a vintage convertible long chain that could double up into a 18” necklace or different lengths. Now I must have one, in gold and un-plated sterling silver, for my capsule. This works for me and my style.

I need to buy yellow gold in person. Orange yellow gold from India or Asia looks great on me. Soft buttery yellow gold from Italy makes my skin look sallow and washed out. Also I’m allergic to nickel.

I like solid gold links. I would avoid hallow pieces.

The chain you are described is exactly the type of chain I’m looking for. Would love to see some pictures if you would be so kind.
I’m fortunate enough that any shade of gold looks good on me (at least to my eyes ). But I do prefer the Indian/Asian gold. Maybe because I have been expose to it more with my husband being of Indian descent.

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
I got to try these chains out as I found out my husband had them (even though he never wears jewelry). They were gifted to him from his grandma and therefore too prescious for me to wear and risk losing/damaging.
I think this helped me eliminate the box and rope style. I think I also need to go a bit thicker (or would that make me look like mr T as @RunningwithScissors said )
6F092FBD-BF38-4BE3-BE73-D2380A1B8E14.jpeg

Attachments

• 47AAEB46-252D-4D91-AC35-4B92E9FCBE40.jpeg
    47AAEB46-252D-4D91-AC35-4B92E9FCBE40.jpeg
    196.7 KB · Views: 15
  • B3118A84-903C-4B8A-9D21-820BA168133D.jpeg
    B3118A84-903C-4B8A-9D21-820BA168133D.jpeg
    252.2 KB · Views: 15

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I got to try these chains out as I found out my husband had them (even though he never wears jewelry). They were gifted to him from his grandma and therefore too prescious for me to wear and risk losing/damaging.
I think this helped me eliminate the box and rope style. I think I also need to go a bit thicker (or would that make me look like mr T as @RunningwithScissors said )
6F092FBD-BF38-4BE3-BE73-D2380A1B8E14.jpeg

The rope chain looks really petty on you
im sure you could wear it occasionally
surly his grandma would have liked her jewlery to be worn, and you are family

If you want a 22kt chain, I would definitely check out Indian jewelry stores. Unless you plan to literally never take it off even while sleeping, a 22kt chain that is thick and substantial enough will not lose its shape.

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
If you want a 22kt chain, I would definitely check out Indian jewelry stores. Unless you plan to literally never take it off even while sleeping, a 22kt chain that is thick and substantial enough will not lose its shape.

Good idea. Didn’t even think of checking Indian stores :)

dhimer

Shiny_Rock

The price tags on those are making my eyes water. The convertible chain idea is genius!

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
Ok so I found a chain that I love. But, it’s not my usual style and it won’t be a daily wear chain (which was what I had originally intended). But for some reason I’m really drawn to it. I’m trying to build a capsule of classic, timeless pieces - is this one of them ? Or just something for now? Will it get enough wear ?
It’s not cheap either at 6k usd. But I have been staring at it for 3 days. Talk me out of it? Or into it ? Argggggg 670439A5-0B6C-4E7F-B1D0-E352622C78FE.jpeg

Attachments

• 2740531F-8E79-490C-B361-9AEBE65411E0.jpeg
    2740531F-8E79-490C-B361-9AEBE65411E0.jpeg
    70 KB · Views: 7
  • 6F33F283-D4A5-4E09-A719-7D3FC35088D8.jpeg
    6F33F283-D4A5-4E09-A719-7D3FC35088D8.jpeg
    60.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 012DD6F3-BA50-46D7-B990-8C8F56E30F0A.jpeg
    012DD6F3-BA50-46D7-B990-8C8F56E30F0A.jpeg
    51.9 KB · Views: 6

OneKuhlChic

Shiny_Rock

RunningwithScissors:
Nice job on your feedback. I agree with not wanting to look like Mr. T. I love the first chain in your example. Beautiful, links are substantial, but not too much.

dhimer:
The rolo link necklace is another style to consider. It's similar to the belcher chain, but differs in that rolo links are wider, the outside is rounded and inside is flat.

Both the rolo and belcher necklace are classic and never go out of style.

FYI: Sarraf Jewelry makes custom jewelry which have solid gold links rather than hollow.

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok so I found a chain that I love. But, it’s not my usual style and it won’t be a daily wear chain (which was what I had originally intended). But for some reason I’m really drawn to it. I’m trying to build a capsule of classic, timeless pieces - is this one of them ? Or just something for now? Will it get enough wear ?
It’s not cheap either at 6k usd. But I have been staring at it for 3 days. Talk me out of it? Or into it ? Argggggg 670439A5-0B6C-4E7F-B1D0-E352622C78FE.jpeg

This is a signature piece for your collection
Timeless and classic is all well and good but you need something and in this case substantial- that says 'this is me '

I have never seen amything like it but i love it !

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

This does in no way look like Mr T btw

Just wanted to add that

chere

Shiny_Rock
But, it’s not my usual style and it won’t be a daily wear chain (which was what I had originally intended).

I say go for it if you can see yourself wearing it every day and on any occasion. Does it work with everything in your closet?

3 days is a short time for me to decide on what I want to wear for the next 30-50 years... Take your time if you still want to keep searching.

PastryGirl

Shiny_Rock

Why are they all sold? :cry2:
Excellent resource, thank you for sharing.

It’s a lovely chain, but I’ll play Devil’s advocate here since you said you may like to be talked out of it. Since it’s for 6k - which is a lot - how much gold does the chain contain (in grams)? You wanted something that was classic and you could wear everyday, and you’re unsure if this fits the bill. In that case, I think it would make sense for you to buy it only if you know you can easily recoup most of the purchase price if you decide to sell it, and the only way to guarantee that, and make this less risky for you, is if most of the price is tied up in the gold weight.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

Have you brought this yet ? :dance:

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@dhimer you say this is nothing like your usual style, how do you see yourself wearing this necklace?
What appeals to you so much about it?
Is it solid, high karat gold? If the appeal doesn’t last, can you sell it for most if not all of what you paid for it?

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
This is a signature piece for your collection
Timeless and classic is all well and good but you need something and in this case substantial- that says 'this is me '

I have never seen amything like it but i love it !

Thank you. It is quite unusual which I think is part of the appeal. I asked the vendor for some pictures of it being worn. I think this will help me visualize it better. As sometimes these blown up images on white background make it hard to really get a real feel of the size.

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
I say go for it if you can see yourself wearing it every day and on any occasion. Does it work with everything in your closet?

3 days is a short time for me to decide on what I want to wear for the next 30-50 years... Take your time if you still want to keep searching.
It doesn’t work with my current wardrobe- but then again nothing currently does. I’m now stay at home mom with a 3 yr old and 1 yr old - so messy hair and stained clothes are my uniform for another year. I think your advice to not rush it is smart

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
It’s a lovely chain, but I’ll play Devil’s advocate here since you said you may like to be talked out of it. Since it’s for 6k - which is a lot - how much gold does the chain contain (in grams)? You wanted something that was classic and you could wear everyday, and you’re unsure if this fits the bill. In that case, I think it would make sense for you to buy it only if you know you can easily recoup most of the purchase price if you decide to sell it, and the only way to guarantee that, and make this less risky for you, is if most of the price is tied up in the gold weight.

It is 70 grams of 24k gold. It has a 40% markup from the cost of gold weight. Which is quite significant of a loss if I were to sell it. I wish I was like some of the other PSers in this forum that have such a clear vision about how they want their look to be and can then clearly built towards it. I feel like an indecisive scatter brain. First world problems I guess

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
@dhimer you say this is nothing like your usual style, how do you see yourself wearing this necklace?
What appeals to you so much about it?
Is it solid, high karat gold? If the appeal doesn’t last, can you sell it for most if not all of what you paid for it?
I picture it being worn similiar to a pearl necklace. I think it would go well with my office wear when I return back to work in another year. I was trying to find examples of similiar necklaces and the closest I could find was this
0865C20E-98B9-4C11-A9B1-3072529D7B48.png

Attachments

• 61EE2415-A2EE-4E68-8A41-43B647CD11F5.png
    61EE2415-A2EE-4E68-8A41-43B647CD11F5.png
    659.2 KB · Views: 78
  • FAB87A8A-23F5-4A0A-A55B-BFC58B3B0FB0.png
    FAB87A8A-23F5-4A0A-A55B-BFC58B3B0FB0.png
    340.3 KB · Views: 73
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results