carat
color
clarity

Help me Help me Help me!!!!!

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Pleeeeease!

I've gone from telling myself I'd never buy a unset stone because it's just so much hassle and I have no idea who would set it for me in the UK, to buying TWO loose gems last night!

I think I'm high on holiday spirit...

I brought a GORGEOUS amythest, link to video below. I also brought a yellow danburite (never heard of it till last night lol but the rarity factor snagged me) from yvonne, but we'll talk about the danburite later.

Now this amythest...its not a callibrirated cut so my hopes of finding a semi mount and taking it to a local jeweller to set for me...its looking a bit difficult right now. I am happy to search for such a mount if it's easier then going the full custom route.

The measurements: 12.52 x 7.05 x 5.32mm

The video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ycIpYJxtvaQ&feature=youtu.be

Please give me your honest opinions on the amythest (never thought I'd be into an amythest..I always go for the rare stuff...) and if you have any suggestions on what the hell I do with it now! :lol:

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Question: what does master cut gem actually mean? Is it the same as precision cut?

Thanks!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are amethyst and there are amethyst. The "plain" purple is the common type, but there is the rarer type where there is a bit of blue and/or red. The Jackson Crossroad (from Georgia, USA) tends to show some blue whereas the Uruguay and Zambian tend to have some red or blue and red flash.

You are also correct that you are most likely to need a custom mount for that stone. The best fit would be 12 x 7 mm but the calibrated sizes are as follows: 9 x 7 mm, 10 x 8 mm, 11 x 9 mm, 12 x 10 mm, and 14 x 12 mm.

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your reply Chrono. What do you think of this stone, I definetly see flashes of red (pink?)

I think I am imagining seeing blue haha.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the links. What are the pinkish flashes in my amythest called?

Btw this is from Uraguay.

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is the vendors pic I just zoomed in and screenshot:

So that flash of hot pink (on my screen) colour (left side top and bottom)...that should be red or blue?

screenshot_2015-12-21-14-58-08.png

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
theredspinel|1450710067|3964223 said:
This is the vendors pic I just zoomed in and screenshot:
So that flash of hot pink (on my screen) colour (left side top and bottom)...that should be red or blue?

That's considered red flash. If you look at the picture above, there is a lot more red to the amethyst.

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh I see! Thanks so much Chrono you are just so helpful!

I definitely see those 'red' (still looks pink to me lol) flashes in the video of the stone, and more then in the vendors pic. I think that emerald style of cutting in any stone produces less flashes of light then say the other cuts right?

Did I do good for my 1st amethyst (I still feel nervous over it I don't know why haha) :D

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Step cuts are one of the most challenging for coloured stones, more so for a low refractive index stone like amethyst. Did you do good? Depends on what you want out of the stone (your expectations) and the price. ;))

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
All the cards on the table: I want a stone that you won't be able to pick up in a standard mall jewellery store (quality wise). I paid around £50 (Xmas sale) for this 3. Something caret stone.

Haha I feel like a lowly student standing in front of my teacher :lol:

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes I thought 50 GBP was a steal lol.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
theredspinel|1450713016|3964253 said:
Yes I thought 50 GBP was a steal lol.

Which is why I wrote that it depends on what you want. For $50, one should not expect much red flash.

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm just glad it has some red flash for £50...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
theredspinel|1450713999|3964264 said:
I'm just glad it has some red flash for £50...
:))

Deathspi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
theredspinel|1450686281|3964172 said:
Pleeeeease!

I've gone from telling myself I'd never buy a unset stone because it's just so much hassle and I have no idea who would set it for me in the UK, to buying TWO loose gems last night!

Where abouts roughly in the UK are you? I had the same problem when I first wanted to set stones, but now know a few jewellers so might be able to help. :))

I also think your amethyst is very pretty btw, especially for the price you paid.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good choice! Especially for such a sharp price.

What type of setting do you envision? It will then be easier to select a jeweller.
Personally I would send it to Alistair Kelsey in (ahem) Australia. If you want a sharper cost of stone/ cost of setting ratio you could consider to have it set in silver?

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks guys. Deathspi I'm in London if that helps?

Thanks for your input Acinom you're like my coloured stone rings guru.... I'm thinking maybe a thin diamond halo with a split shank? To be honest I have no concrete idea and I'm open to anything; I am planning to save up for a setting so I'd definetly like to go for 18ct gold but that's about the only thing I'm sure on.

I have no idea about if halo's hinder light coming into the stone and such..."scientific" stuff so if anyone has any input I'd be more then grateful!

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I found a 8×12mm emerald diamond halo setting on Lord of the gems or something (one of the recommended vendors from the list),? Would this work? My measurements are 7x12mm so does that 1mm make a difference?

Deathspi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
If you are in London then you're spoiled for choice since you have Hatton Garden! :)
I don't know anyone there personally, but I went with a jeweller friend a few weeks ago and met a guy in the entrance of the Hatton Garden Arcade who she knows that can do reasonably priced commissions with CAD if you end up going down that route. Tbh I would just ask around and see what you find since there are so many jewellers there, but in the meantime if I speak to my friend soon, I'll ask her for some names if that would help?

If you just want a stone set, i've used Stanley's in Birmingham once who were good. Everything was just done by phone & post. I think they were recommended to me by LD actually, but I cant remember now!

Deathspi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
theredspinel|1450736234|3964469 said:
I found a 8×12mm emerald diamond halo setting on Lord of the gems or something (one of the recommended vendors from the list),? Would this work? My measurements are 7x12mm so does that 1mm make a difference?

You could tell them the measurements of your stone, since they will alter the mount to fit it. Can't remember how much this costs though so someone more experienced can tell you that. I would not go with 7x12 though...

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Haha can you believe I forgot about Hatton Garden!! It's such a pain to get there though..

What do you mean by you wouldn't go with 7x12mm? Why? :confused:

Deathspi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Sorry, read the measurements of your stone wrong and thought it was 8mm...so you might be able to get away with the .5mm difference then. I would ask a jeweller or maybe someone on here will chime in. I also had a thought; if you have any second hand jewellers near you then it might be worth checking them out. From my experience, you are more likely to find a goldsmith who knows what they're talking about, and hopefully they would be able to help you out. I'ts a shame Hatton Garden is a pain for you to get to. Maybe you need a nice Xmas trip there. Very good for window shopping! :angel:

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Haha don't tempt me...I can't window shop to save my life. I get the undeniable urge and need to purchase something!

Do you have a rough idea (figure) for how much it costs over here to take a setting and a stone to a jeweller and ask them to just set the stone?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results