shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me help a friend! A few diamonds to choose from.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I bought my own diamond after being saved by this community from making a big mistake. I'm trying to help my friend who is about to buy for his girlfriend.

I found two diamonds of different flavour, both within what is considered to be ideal range. They are the same carat and the shallower depth is 0.1mm narrower, hardly anything significant. I want to help give the best option especially not being for my own use, the responsibility is huge! There is an inclusion on the table of the first one but is eye clean from 6 inches.

Idealscopes are in process.

My main concern with diamond one is that it is creeping on the proportions of a 60/60 stone. I'm worried that it would have significantly less fire with a 14.5% crown height. Diamond 2 although having a 34 crown has a healthy 15.5% crown height due to the 55 table and as such I understand it may be more fiery? Although instinctively I prefer the look of diamond 1 and it's nice broad arrows (gut instinct).

We are not in a position to compare them side by side. Would you recommend one over the other? Neither?

Many thanks for your help everyone!

Edit: just seeing diamond 1 is a 0.8HCA. I have read here that most people people may prefer HCA 1-2. Why is that?

possiblediamonds.png

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My wild guess is that #2 may take some very minor deduction in contrast (due to skinny arrows), and dispersion (due to shallow/shallow combo), although nothing signficant.

Sure #2 has a smaller table and larger inner and outer bezels where dispersion occurs.
But #1 has 75% LGH (fatter arrows=>more contrast) and steeper crown angle.

I think the question is not which has more fire. It is which fire characteristic (chunky vs smaller reflection with pinfires) you prefer.

#1 is likely to produce chunkier reflections than #2.

I like #1 for the overall appearance with fatter arrows, and the proportions.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you very much for the thorough reply. But there are no red flags you see to pairing a 40.6 potentially a 40.5 with a 34.5. I guess will just have to wait for the IS. Thanks

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results