shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me find my first LGD please

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm not new to the forum, but new to LGD diamonds. A few weeks ago I have realized, that the price of LGD diamonds declined a lot, and I may have a change to have my dream lab-diamond.

What is my dream lab-diamond? Almost 10 mm, so at about 3.5 carat, round cut, G-H color, eye clean, and without a brown tinge. After looking through a lot of lab diamonds, I think I prefer HPHT. My budget is around max. 4.500 USD/EUR (I'm located in Europe).

I would really appreciate, if some of the experts could give me some good suggestions, please.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I couldn't find an HPHT without blue nuance on an initial search.

This one has some blue nuance but looks very well cut.

You may need to look at CVD or increase the budget in order to meet all your requirements.

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I couldn't find an HPHT without blue nuance on an initial search.

This one has some blue nuance but looks very well cut.

You may need to look at CVD or increase the budget in order to meet all your requirements.

Thank you for your reply! I was eyeing the same stone too. Basically Im not opposed to CVD, but its really hard to find a nice one without brown undertone, and as return is no option for me, I have to find "the one" at the first try.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Kim N can you please lend us your eyes and mind on this one, if dkata doesn't mind moving to an I color.
It looks like it's cut pretty darned great. I'd estimate around 50% stars and probably 77% lowers. No concerning level of stria that I can make out.
Do the bezel facets seem a bit static, or am I just seeing things?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Kim N can you please lend us your eyes and mind on this one, if dkata doesn't mind moving to an I color.
It looks like it's cut pretty darned great. I'd estimate around 50% stars and probably 77% lowers. No concerning level of stria that I can make out.
Do the bezel facets seem a bit static, or am I just seeing things?

The stone exhibits some paddling with extreme obstruction.
Mildly visible at 7 inches in the real world in some lighting, not an issue at 10+ inches.
50 stars for sure, arguably more like 75 lgf% than 77%

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
What is paddling? Haven't heard that term before.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone exhibits some paddling with extreme obstruction.
Mildly visible at 7 inches in the real world in some lighting, not an issue at 10+ inches.
50 stars for sure, arguably more like 75 lgf% than 77%

Is it the 40.5 pavilion angle combined with the 75% LGF that are the main cause of the paddling and obstruction?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Is it the 40.5 pavilion angle combined with the 75% LGF that are the main cause of the paddling and obstruction?
Its a combo thing that combo has some at very close distances.
LGF% has little to do with it other than slight differences in the arrows which is small compared to the paddles. Even table size does not have a huge effect.
Distance 200mm
The top one 35.5/40.4 middle 35.5/40.5 bottom 35.5 40.6 all 78lgf% and 58table

355.jpg
Top: Dull but not super dark paddles, middle: mild incomplete paddles, bottom: min. paddles.

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you for all of your replies @DejaWiz and @Kim N ! I love this forum, because I still learn here something new, even after being a memeber for 10 years.

@Karl_K thank you! I've never hear about paddling before, but I have already observed this in diamonds online, I just didn't new, what it was called. So today I've learnt a new term!

The 3.58 ct. suggested by @Kim_N I like better. There is one more stone I like, it is a bit abouve my budget, but I would still consider it. This is the link:

What is your opinion about it?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for all of your replies @DejaWiz and @Kim N ! I love this forum, because I still learn here something new, even after being a memeber for 10 years.

@Karl_K thank you! I've never hear about paddling before, but I have already observed this in diamonds online, I just didn't new, what it was called. So today I've learnt a new term!

The 3.58 ct. suggested by @Kim_N I like better. There is one more stone I like, it is a bit abouve my budget, but I would still consider it. This is the link:

What is your opinion about it?

I see some evidence of pavilion twist and it definitely has blue nuance.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
What causes the twist? Is it inherent in the rough or the way it was cut?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
You will see it in online images much more often than in person.
The images/vids are often equivalant of viewing the diamond at 5-6 inches away which is not realistic for most people.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
What causes the twist? Is it inherent in the rough or the way it was cut?
The way its cut.
Cut grading is based on averages, so having variations in the average you can hide weight then to get a Ex symmetry grade you twist everything to make it fit together.

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The way its cut.
Cut grading is based on averages, so having variations in the average you can hide weight then to get a Ex symmetry grade you twist everything to make it fit together.

Ok, I try to understand what pavilion twist is, but to tell the truth, I can’t really grasp it. Interestingly the HCA of this stone is under 2, so it should perform nicely? I’m really confused already.
And what about the blue nuance? Do you think it has a blue nuance? Wouldn’t it be advantageous in H color? I mean is the effect of the blue nuance similar to fluorescence? This stone seems really white to me, although it’s color grade is H.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
I thought blue nuance sounded cool, like fluor which I love. But from the photos I've seen it's not that desirable, it appears as more of a gray cast to my eye. DW, can you expand on this?
On this forum since 2019, just barely starting to understand some of the things Karl explains. But he's very kind and patient.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
@dkata
Maybe this will help.
Its an extreme example.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
re: blue nuance
My opinion, it can range from a non-issue, to looks kewl , to looks grayish blue and just off.. bleh!
The market however considers them all with the same brush.
Part of that is when seeing them in person you can tell which one has an issue for you and which don't.
Looking at video and pictures not so much.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can I suggest you go for at least a G, if not F? I found even D for IGI is not as white as GIA. There seem to be some Es that are around your price range.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
@dkata
Maybe this will help.
Its an extreme example.

Absolutely wonderful thread.

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Can I suggest you go for at least a G, if not F? I found even D for IGI is not as white as GIA. There seem to be some Es that are around your price range.

Thank you for your suggestions. I have a D 1.71 ct mined stone graded by GIA, and it’s really too white for my taste. Then I have an N color OEC, which I love, but I would like to have a whiter stone.
Basically I was looking for a G, but then this H just came up, and I loved it. There is also a 3.58 ct. G color, which I also find quite attractive. I may ask Ritani for mor pictures.

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
re: blue nuance
My opinion, it can range from a non-issue, to looks kewl , to looks grayish blue and just off.. bleh!
The market however considers them all with the same brush.
Part of that is when seeing them in person you can tell which one has an issue for you and which don't.
Looking at video and pictures not so much.

Exactly that’s my problem, and I can’t return from Europe, therefore I asked here for help. I’m just afraid to buy a dud!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your suggestions. I have a D 1.71 ct mined stone graded by GIA, and it’s really too white for my taste. Then I have an N color OEC, which I love, but I would like to have a whiter stone.
Basically I was looking for a G, but then this H just came up, and I loved it. There is also a 3.58 ct. G color, which I also find quite attractive. I may ask Ritani for mor pictures.

Best of luck. I hope you find the perfect one for you. :wavey:

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I was reading here on the forum a lot about blue nuance, and I've realized, the first two stones I have found had the blue nuance even on the IGI report stated. Now I was looking around, and I have found this stone. Could you please give me your opinion on it:

It's within my budget, no blue nuance is stated on the report, but I also don't see any strange brown undertone.

I would be happy to hear from the experts. Thank you in advance.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I was reading here on the forum a lot about blue nuance, and I've realized, the first two stones I have found had the blue nuance even on the IGI report stated. Now I was looking around, and I have found this stone. Could you please give me your opinion on it:

It's within my budget, no blue nuance is stated on the report, but I also don't see any strange brown undertone.

I would be happy to hear from the experts. Thank you in advance.

It's a CVD, so it will be a Type IIa.
It is a 60/60 style cut with a rather poor 40.4/33.7/60 combo.
I would absolutely not recommend this diamond without full vetting and advanced images.

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's a CVD, so it will be a Type IIa.
It is a 60/60 style cut with a rather poor 40.4/33.7/60 combo.
I would absolutely not recommend this diamond without full vetting and advanced images.

OK, its absolutely harder than I thought. I have found also this one with better proportions, but the color is I.

I don't mind a bit of color, I even prefer it to an icy white D.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
OK, its absolutely harder than I thought. I have found also this one with better proportions, but the color is I.

I don't mind a bit of color, I even prefer it to an icy white D.

Stand by...I've got a handful of alternatives for you, but it'll take some time for me to finish assessing them.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
All of these are HPHT, but some may be Type IIb (with undisclosed blue nuance).

Appears to be a Type IIa with no blue nuance:

Might be a Type IIb, but extremely faint for blue nuance:

Looks to have slight blue nuance:

40.4° PA, so a bit shallow.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results