shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me find an asscher diamond

hersen

Rough_Rock
Alright, I've requested ASETs on those three. As far as personal taste goes, I'm liking the look of all of them, and with your advice I at least know I'm looking at good quality asschers!

As for the setting, I'm thinking of a simple solitaire, either classic or cathedral. I also really like the look of the baguette rings with asschers, so that's another option. My partner prefers rings without the small side diamonds (I think halo), but baguette rings look quite different from that so she might like those - it's still the less "safe" option. I also don't know her exact ring size (I only have a ballpark) and I reckon solitaire may be easier to resize, but I'm happy to be corrected on that one.

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Try to grab one of the rings she wears on a third finger and measure it.

hersen

Rough_Rock
My partner has a few rings, but she doesn't wear them anymore because they irritate her skin. I've measured them, but don't know exactly what finger she wore them on, which is why I mentioned it's a bit of a ballpark. At least I know I should be going for platinum because it's hypoallergenic.

Good question about where I'm planning to set it - I was leaning towards Australia but am still tossing it up. Some arguments for setting in Australia:
  • There's a 5% duty on importing rings to Australia that gets waived when purchasing loose diamonds - i.e. more money to spend on a ring
  • I wouldn't want to send the ring back to the US to get it resized due to shipping costs, delays etc. so I might have to go to a local jeweller anyway - setting a ring locally would create more of a relationship with a jeweller who could then resize the ring
Arguments to set it by JA:
  • Even including duty, rings may still come out cheaper from the US, especially for more expensive designs (e.g. baguette)
  • A jeweller may not cover a replacement if the diamond gets chipped during setting if I were to supply the diamond myself (not sure of the chances of that happening with asschers; I guess it would come down to finding a good jeweller)
Any idea if resizing a baguette ring would be more difficult?

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it’s that style I linked above from JA, I have a platinum ring with straight baguettes (OEC centre) and it was very easy to have resized - mine had to come down 3 sizes when I got it.
In terms of local jewellers, I’m in NZ not Australia so will defer to the Aussies - tagging @bmfang @arkieb1 @jordyonbass for their input.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If it’s that style I linked above from JA, I have a platinum ring with straight baguettes (OEC centre) and it was very easy to have resized - mine had to come down 3 sizes when I got it.
In terms of local jewellers, I’m in NZ not Australia so will defer to the Aussies - tagging @bmfang @arkieb1 @jordyonbass for their input.

Unfortunately I don't think I can make such recommendations due to the trade badge I acquired last year.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Last thing you’d want is for the stone to be damaged by the local jeweller. Depends on how competent the bench is. I am not sure what insurance companies here would cover loose stones prior and up to setting in jewellery. There are some folks on here who have had loose stones set by some local Aussie master jewellers (can’t think of the names of those designers atm).

You could see if JA could ship said stone to the Aussie jewellery designer direct and whether or not that means the stone will be covered under their insurance policy until such time it is set.

Resizing may not be a prob if the baguettes don’t extend too far around the ring. Which it sounds like this ring won’t have. So I’d have a similar view as @foxinsox on resizing.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My partner has a few rings, but she doesn't wear them anymore because they irritate her skin. I've measured them, but don't know exactly what finger she wore them on, which is why I mentioned it's a bit of a ballpark. At least I know I should be going for platinum because it's hypoallergenic.

Good question about where I'm planning to set it - I was leaning towards Australia but am still tossing it up. Some arguments for setting in Australia:
  • There's a 5% duty on importing rings to Australia that gets waived when purchasing loose diamonds - i.e. more money to spend on a ring
  • I wouldn't want to send the ring back to the US to get it resized due to shipping costs, delays etc. so I might have to go to a local jeweller anyway - setting a ring locally would create more of a relationship with a jeweller who could then resize the ring
Arguments to set it by JA:
  • Even including duty, rings may still come out cheaper from the US, especially for more expensive designs (e.g. baguette)
  • A jeweller may not cover a replacement if the diamond gets chipped during setting if I were to supply the diamond myself (not sure of the chances of that happening with asschers; I guess it would come down to finding a good jeweller)
Any idea if resizing a baguette ring would be more difficult?

Dude - I'm an Aussie I have NO clue where you are getting your info from but I've bought many loose diamonds and coloured stones and pieces of jewellery from the US..... The tax man is going to charge you 10% of whatever it costs in Australian dollars if you don't have a company with the correct AUSTFA letter they don't care and will charge you 15% taxes and duties and it is near to impossible in red tape to claim the 5% back again. So if you buy a loose diamond that costs USD$10 000 with our exchange rate say it costs $12 800 AUD the actual amount in customs you will pay is $1280 + their processing fees and charges which I'd guess would cost around $1350ish or a bit more.

Check out Alistair Kelsey's work he is in Sydney;
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-alistair-kelsey-collection.218921/

Other than that it depends if you want a bezel or a plainer setting (which style of prongs) and where in Australia (which state or capital city) you are located. If you want decent sized side stones for an Asscher I'd go with Alistair if you want local or David Klass or Caysie in the US with help from Pricescopers on the CADS from the latter two.

Last edited:

hersen

Rough_Rock
@arkieb1 - we're on the same page here, I'm aware of the exchange rate, 10% GST, 5% duty and ~200AUD processing fee. I was only referring to the 5% duty fee waiver for loose diamonds to not overcomplicate things (although, sounds like that depends on if the supplier has it's papers in order).

Anyway, sounds like the resizing thing shouldn't be an issue, so I might go with a James Allen setting.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately I don't think I can make such recommendations due to the trade badge I acquired last year.
I had no idea! Congratulations! That’s exciting news (not so new)

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@arkieb1 - we're on the same page here, I'm aware of the exchange rate, 10% GST, 5% duty and ~200AUD processing fee. I was only referring to the 5% duty fee waiver for loose diamonds to not overcomplicate things (although, sounds like that depends on if the supplier has it's papers in order).

Anyway, sounds like the resizing thing shouldn't be an issue, so I might go with a James Allen setting.

Any decent jeweller here can resize a ring. What Aussie size is she or don't you know her sizing at all?

hersen

Rough_Rock
Any decent jeweller here can resize a ring. What Aussie size is she or don't you know her sizing at all?
I'd say P or Q based on several other rings she doesn't wear anymore. Those rings she would've worn on ring to index finger on either hand - I'm not sure which, so it's not ideal, as I know there will be differences. However it is in range of the average so I don't think I should be too far off.

hersen

Rough_Rock
I've just received ASET images for two of the three diamonds - still waiting on 364680.

3296227 - 1.79 I VS1
3296227.jpg

Based on my limited knowledge...
  • I like the symmetry, and seems like there's plenty of reflection in the outer areas
  • The obstructed blue in the centre makes sense to me based on the 360° image, which I don't think should be an issue
  • Unsure what to make of the grey surrounding the centre - is this leakage, and how crucial is the area this occurs in? Considering the very centre does contain red and green

2676243 - 1.50 H VVS2
2676243.jpg
  • This one seems less symmetrical to me, with performance in terms of reflection somewhat lower in the outer edges
  • Some leakage in the centre and outer edges
  • However, more reflection in the centre
Again, I'm very untrained - would be keen to hear what everyone thinks and if what I'm thinking is correct. Especially interested in your opinion on what matters most (e.g. leakage in certain areas, symmetry, etc.), although I understand part of it may come back to personal preference.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
ASET for the first stone above looks better. The cut of the stone is more symmetrical to me and you are getting a lot of light return from edge to edge. I see more leakage in the ASET for the second stone

JmeeMrie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I really like the symmetry and crispness of 1.79. I don't really dig the 1.5 as much so nothing has changed there for me. There are definately more experienced asets readers so I think I'll let one of them pipe up. But that said I don't see much leakage, my only question is the blue, but I think it does flash so that's good. Also i do like the green and red in the windmills that show up inside of the blue band. Also maybe consider pu tting it okn hold if it isnt already and you're seriously considering it.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP, all the diamonds are showing as sold. I hope you got at least one of them!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh thank goodness! Which one are you preferring? I still really like that 1.64

JmeeMrie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I wou I'd say between the 1.79 and the 1.64 when you get the a set. So glad you have them on hold! Gotta make sure no one else snatches them up!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So.. they’d look like this on a P finger (1.64 left, 1.79 right). It’s good coverage - just under 50% I think and with flanking baguettes if you’re going that way, the ring will have a lovely presence on her hand.
P is reasonably large btw - does she have a large frame/build generally? Or uses her hands a lot?

984F8AA3-57D7-4A5C-BEDF-F9DAE00CA842.jpeg

hersen

Rough_Rock
Haha yeah I'm glad I have them on hold too! I think they both look great but I'm leaning towards the 1.79. I like that it's slightly larger, plus it fits my original budget.

Still on the fence about classic solitaire vs. flanking baguettes. I don't think I could go too wrong - solitaire has no distractions, baguettes if anything emphasise the centre. Just unsure what my partner's preference is so I need to stew on that for a while.

And yeah I'll need to double check the sizing - good callout.

JmeeMrie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Flanking baguettes would be gorgeous and still very classic.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd say P or Q based on several other rings she doesn't wear anymore. Those rings she would've worn on ring to index finger on either hand - I'm not sure which, so it's not ideal, as I know there will be differences. However it is in range of the average so I don't think I should be too far off.

That's a US 7.5 to a US 8. If you want it to play it safe a US 7.75 might work.

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So.. they’d look like this on a P finger (1.64 left, 1.79 right). It’s good coverage - just under 50% I think and with flanking baguettes if you’re going that way, the ring will have a lovely presence on her hand.
P is reasonably large btw - does she have a large frame/build generally? Or uses her hands a lot?

984F8AA3-57D7-4A5C-BEDF-F9DAE00CA842.jpeg
If using my hands makes my fingers bigger I’m going to stop using them as of today.

JmeeMrie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Me too! I could really stand for my fingers to shrink a size or 4..:P2

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If using my hands makes my fingers bigger I’m going to stop using them as of today.
Ha! Well they’re muscled so if you use them a lot they can get bigger/thicker. But it usually takes lots of heavy resisted work to do that

hersen

Rough_Rock
Just wanted to give you a quick update - I've gone with the 1.79 in a classic solitaire setting and am looking forward to seeing it in person!

For those wondering, I didn't receive the ASET for the 1.64 as it was still being called in, so I won't be able to share it unfortunately.

However I want to thank everyone for their comments and opinions, I really appreciate the help!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fantastic! Good luck with the proposal and please come back to share handshots when she says yes!

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Looking forward to seeing the finished ring!

JmeeMrie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Just wanted to give you a quick update - I've gone with the 1.79 in a classic solitaire setting and am looking forward to seeing it in person!

For those wondering, I didn't receive the ASET for the 1.64 as it was still being called in, so I won't be able to share it unfortunately.

However I want to thank everyone for their comments and opinions, I really appreciate the help!

Yay! Please come back with the finished ring we would all love to see how it turns out!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results