shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me find a red spinel

sbc86

Rough_Rock
Hi Guys,

I am looking at red spinels and came across these two. What do you guys think about either of these two red spinels? They are both 4+ ct and similarly priced per carat.

voce

Ideal_Rock
They are too dark to be considered trade ideal. I've won an EBay auction for a similar looking spinel in a similar size for less than $50/ct in 2018. If you like the color, just don't overpay for it. Prices since 2018 may have doubled, but I wouldn't pay tenfold, for instance.

The top one imo shows less extinction than the bottom one, but to be sure you should ask for video and more photos in comparable lighting.

Last edited:

sbc86

Rough_Rock
They are too dark to be considered trade ideal. I've won an EBay auction for a similar looking spinel in a similar size for less than $50/ct in 2018. If you like the color, just don't overpay for it. Prices since 2018 may have doubled, but I wouldn't pay tenfold, for insurance.

The top one imo shows less extinction than the bottom one, but to be sure you should ask for video and more photos in comparable lighting.

These are quoted as $1700/ct. $50/ct is amazing.

voce

Ideal_Rock
These are quoted as $1700/ct. $50/ct is amazing.

Oops, I meant for instance, not insurance.

At $1700/ct, I think it's a price point I'd personally give a hard pass on. At that price point I'd be expecting something with a near neon color, or at least a color that isn't too dark, which I suspect of both of these spinels.

The eBay stone, I ended up gifting away because it looked near black in dimmer lighting, and with what I had in my collection I knew I wasn't going to wear it.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like the color is enhanced in the videos unless the vendor has very pink fingers. Unless there are other pictures/videos that contradict this, I am pretty sure this would be closer to the color of the first spinel in real life.

s1.png

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
These seem very expensive for this color in my opinion even with the popularity of spinels.

Can you share a photo of your ideal spinel color?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are dark, and the price quoted is insane. Hard pass for me. Red garnets look the same and are much cheaper

voce

Ideal_Rock
Let's just say, even if you personally like the look of these spinels, they aren't good examples of why spinels are sought after.

sbc86

Rough_Rock
Looks like the color is enhanced in the videos unless the vendor has very pink fingers. Unless there are other pictures/videos that contradict this, I am pretty sure this would be closer to the color of the first spinel in real life.

s1.png

Thank you for color correcting the spinel. It certainly doesn’t look very good.

sbc86

Rough_Rock
These seem very expensive for this color in my opinion even with the popularity of spinels.

Can you share a photo of your ideal spinel color?
Here is one I like. Might be more than $1700/ct but I can go higher and also wait for the right stone. I am in no rush to make a purchase.

F810F469-726C-4D0A-83C1-F2FF5072B6E8.png

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is one I like. Might be more than $1700/ct but I can go higher and also wait for the right stone. I am in no rush to make a purchase.

F810F469-726C-4D0A-83C1-F2FF5072B6E8.png
Too sleepy and orange for my taste.

sbc86

Rough_Rock
Too sleepy and orange for my taste.

Looked really red on my ipad but on my desktop it does look sleepy and orangish.

I am looking for really red red with may be slight purple if can’t be avoided And as transparent as a natural stone can get without having to rob a bank To pay for it.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I love a sleepy spinel!

A PURE red red spinel is going to cost a lot...I would guess more than $1700 a carat for a large stone - pure red spinels are very popular it seems.

Stellamarisgems on Instagram has gotten some juicy spinels (I have not bought from them though, but inquired about a few gems)... many of them are pure red, but I don't frequently see large spinels in trade ideal colors anywhere, really.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looked really red on my ipad but on my desktop it does look sleepy and orangish.

I am looking for really red red with may be slight purple if can’t be avoided And as transparent as a natural stone can get without having to rob a bank To pay for it.

Whatever you decide, make sure

1) it comes with a reputable lab report
2) you view it in and out of sunlight (they tend to glow more red in sunlight)
3) make sure it has strong UV fluorescence

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock

Robert Genis from National Gemstone has a pure red-red spinel of 1.23 ct. for sale. It is expensive though

sbc86

Rough_Rock
Robert Genis from National Gemstone has a pure red-red spinel of 1.23 ct. for sale. It is expensive though

Thank you VividRed! National Gemstones has some amazing stones and detailed descriptions. I can see getting something from them.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
b.g. stones (Big Green Stones) has some very nice specimens in right now. I am not familiar with their price structuring. They have some larger examples to enquire after.

sbc86

Rough_Rock
b.g. stones (Big Green Stones) has some very nice specimens in right now. I am not familiar with their price structuring. They have some larger examples to enquire after.

You guys are amazing. Appreciate all the help I am getting. Just contacted them. Will update what I find out.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
You guys are amazing. Appreciate all the help I am getting. Just contacted them. Will update what I find out.

Let us know if you find any contenders!

fussykiki

Shiny_Rock

They posted a 5.8ct red spinel not long ago which really captured my heart. The price they quoted is $30,000. I fell of my chair after confirmed that it is USD.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
They posted a 5.8ct red spinel not long ago which really captured my heart. The price they quoted is $30,000. I fell of my chair after confirmed that it is USD.

:eek-2:And with that, it's assured I'll have to continue to be unfamiliar with their price structure.:lol:

fussykiki

Shiny_Rock
:eek-2:And with that, it's assured I'll have to continue to be unfamiliar with their price structure.:lol:

I know spinel price has gone up due to the popularity. But if I have $30,000 on hand, ready to spend on jewelry, I would go to a ruby even the size would be smaller. At least the Mohs hardness scale of ruby is 9. I don't have to worry about damaging it.

fussykiki

Shiny_Rock

This is the stone I asked them about.

fussykiki

Shiny_Rock
Haven’t bought from this vendor before. But his name is Mr. Spinel so he must have plenty of stock. Look at this one.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock

This is the stone I asked them about.

That doesn’t even have some of the traits I’d look for in a top spinel! It’s pretty…but wow. Outrageous price!

sbc86

Rough_Rock
Let us know if you find any contenders!
I will certainly post details and ask for opinions if I have serious contenders.

Red spinels at BGS are priced at $4500/ct or above. They look better than the ones Mr. Spinel has but not sure they are almost 3 times better. I like bigger stones, so the price very quickly adds up. BGS and Valley of Gems on IG seem to be on higher side than Haydenfred and Mr.Spinel.

That doesn’t even have some of the traits I’d look for in a top spinel! It’s pretty…but wow. Outrageous price!
At these prices I would rather buy a smaller Ruby even if I have to go up 2-3 times more per carat in price compared to BGS.

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Check out my latest thread, and I have multiple stones I evaluated in different red and pink hues.

what’s your budget? I can tell you that for a decent red (not even talking about vivid), 4ct+, good cut, eye clean, you are looking at $1,500-2,000 per carat today. You can barely fetch a good Burma piece in that price, and Vietnam might be your best bet. Tajikistan usually only have pink ones but very pretty (I settled on one). I haven’t seen many even 3ct plus clean Tanzania pieces lately, and those neon pink color are in $3-5k per carat range now).
For $1,500 per carat, you will get something which is rear toward the darker side (like this one), very purple hue, or very light tone and saturation.
Always make sure you have the stone videos in incandescent lighting, UV, and direct sunlight environment.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results