carat
color
clarity

Help me find a knock your socks off spinel

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
bright ice|1306213168|2928881 said:
I have a new handshot photo. It is coming my way. What do you think?
It's so pretty Brigth Ice!!!! I can't wait to see it! I know you don't know if you're going to keep it, but do you have any thoughts on setting?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's the checkerboard from AJS I linked to isn't it? Rung is good and will guide you. They have an excellent returns policy also and it's easy to return. The photo on the hand looks promising. The photo in fluorescent light looks a little dark but this type of lighting is awful for gemstones in most cases!

BTW I've always thought Rung was a lady! However, I may well be wrong as we've only ever communicated by email! Strange the impressions you get!!!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LovingDiamonds|1306264438|2929280 said:
That's the checkerboard from AJS I linked to isn't it? Rung is good and will guide you. They have an excellent returns policy also and it's easy to return. The photo on the hand looks promising. The photo in fluorescent light looks a little dark but this type of lighting is awful for gemstones in most cases!

BTW I've always thought Rung was a lady! However, I may well be wrong as we've only ever communicated by email! Strange the impressions you get!!!

Yes it is, I had seen it on their website, just kept going back to it so I had him shoot some photos for me. I should have it maybe tomorrow.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wanted to post three more that I am awaiting hand shots of. They are good candidates I think. Opinions please!

The 3.79 has a video available. I think it's my favorite.

4.27ct Oval Spinell.jpg

3.79ct Cushion Spinel.jpg

3.11ct Oval Spinel.jpg

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Have you decided to budget for a bit more $$$$ stone ?

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ooo~Shiney!|1306320086|2929777 said:
Have you decided to budget for a bit more $$$$ stone ?

Possibly so. It really depends on what I think about the one that should arrive soon. If it just does not speak to me, I may have to in order to get what I really want. I don't want to regret it later that I comprimised.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it’s great that AJS took these additional pictures for you. They used to that by request, then refused. What are AJS’ comments on the three spinels?
3.11 = looks to have the best saturation of the 3
3.79 = good size, good cut, just not as vivid as the 3.11
4.27 = distinct purple undertone

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bright ice|1306296162|2929677 said:
I wanted to post three more that I am awaiting hand shots of. They are good candidates I think. Opinions please!

The 3.79 has a video available. I think it's my favorite.

The 3.11 has the best saturation. I'm not liking the other two at all. Too much purple in the bottom one, and too much orange in the middle one. Don't get too focused on cutting when you look at these stones, look strictly at color.

I'm not that keen on the 3.11 either, but it's the best out of the three as far as color is concerned. Compare them to the heart that sold, and you'll see why.

Always ask about color shift. Take a look at the dramatic photos in your the "Teaser" thread that Crasru just posted, and you'll see the dramatic difference. I saw the video of the 3.79 and it appears to have a lot of orange in it (probably due to the artificial light), but I am mostly concerned by his description "wine red." Wine means purple to me. The GRS color is pinkish red, which I assume isn't as good as "vibrant pinkish red" that I've seen on other GRS reports (but I could be wrong as GRS does not explain their color system on their site).

I hate to be blunt, and I know the prices of Mahenges are rising, but $10K for a three carat stone? If that's true, I think I rather look for a hot pink untreated sapphire (which won't color shift as much either). That's just nuts.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1306324275|2929801 said:
I think it’s great that AJS took these additional pictures for you. They used to that by request, then refused. What are AJS’ comments on the three spinels?
3.11 = looks to have the best saturation of the 3
3.79 = good size, good cut, just not as vivid as the 3.11
4.27 = distinct purple undertone

These are the photos on their website. Ron is going to send me a handshot of the three together to get a good comparison side by side.
I am awaiting an opinion from Ron as to what he thinks of them.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
3.11ct would be my choice based on the photos but it would be good to see handshots.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LovingDiamonds|1306331932|2929843 said:
3.11ct would be my choice based on the photos but it would be good to see handshots.

Ditto this

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IT'S HERE!!!!!! I got it yesterday. It's the 4.54ct oval hot pink from AJS Gems. All that I will say till I start a thread on it is it KNOCKS MY SOCKS OFF!!!!!! It is perfect.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bright ice|1306503282|2931631 said:
IT'S HERE!!!!!! I got it yesterday. It's the 4.54ct oval hot pink from AJS Gems. All that I will say till I start a thread on it is it KNOCKS MY SOCKS OFF!!!!!! It is perfect.

Awesome!! We need photos!! :appl: So happy for you.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Don't leave us hangin!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
athenaworth|1306505733|2931655 said:
Don't leave us hangin!

Only for a little while. I had to take photos, now at work. I promise to start a thread tonight.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results