shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me find a knock your socks off spinel

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about the restocking fee? $ 100.00 could be more than 1/3 of, say, a lavender spinel.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Interesting thread. A few comments. It's not possible to make color comparisons from photos on a website, especially from different vendors, taken at different times. And then to compare them on various monitors is impossible. I use a very expensive Apple screen, and don't see any orange in any of the stones shown on this thread. I thought I'd do a little test and see what colors are really in the images. Not that the images can really mean much other than a rough guide to go by. On Mac we have a little tool called COLOR SYNC UTILITY, that you and pass over an image and get an average color reading. So this first screen shot is the stone that was said to have orange in it.

This next image is from TL's nice close up of her trillion. Turns out TL's stone has less red, and more green in it, the other stone has more red and more blue. The numbers on the scale are RED on top, GREEN in the middle and BLUE on the bottom. The color patch as an averaged sample taken from the stone image.

What does all this prove? Nothing. You can only compare color in person with the stones next to each other under the same light.

Screenshot2011-05-22at8.44.03PM.png

Screenshot2011-05-22at8.44.28 PM.png

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Swala|1306095367|2927904 said:
TL,

Please be careful with your statements which are sometimes harsh and not always true.
We've had a return center in North America for a while.
Thanks.

That's good to know Eric, thanks. I will keep that in mind, as I have had friends that have wanted to return stones to you, and they told me it was somewhat difficult, quite recently as a matter of fact. Do you still have the $100 restocking fee you mentioned on PS when you were discussing your return policy at one point?

If you could expand on your return policy, or show a link that explains it better, it would be nice. I only know what people tell me, and what you have stated earlier on this forum about returns. Even people that have bought from you, have recently warned about returns to you, so if something has changed, it would be helpful if you would elaborate your new policies, or if you have posted them on your website, please let us know.

I will then amend my future comments so that they are correct as far as your return policy is concerned.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PrecisionGem|1306112174|2928006 said:
It's not possible to make color comparisons from photos on a website, especially from different vendors, taken at different times.

I agree with you, but photos are really the thing that draw us in and get us interested in a gem, so it's really important they are accurate, and not enhanced to death. However, as photography can vary so much, I always emphasize, as do other people, to ask lots of questions about the gem, and the right questions as well. :))

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
BTW bright ice, I asked Leon and Perry could source a spinel for you if you were having him make the ring.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Check with Swala too since he just reported on this site that he has a return center in North America. Email him for the specifics of his return policy though. It's probably less expensive to go directly to the source of the rough like Swala than going through many middlemen, jewelers, etc. . .

lelser

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Not to speak for Eric, but he subsidizes the cost of shipping from Tanzania so the buyer pays only a portion of it. If the stone is returned, he returns all but the actual cost of shipping. He can't afford to pay for a chunk of shipping costs on stones that are returned. A restocking fee would be a fee in excess of shipping costs just for taking the stone back, and Swala has never done this to my knowledge.

Cheers,

Lisa
www.lisaelser.com
www.greengemfoundation.com

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lelser|1306174180|2928373 said:
Not to speak for Eric, but he subsidizes the cost of shipping from Tanzania so the buyer pays only a portion of it. If the stone is returned, he returns all but the actual cost of shipping. He can't afford to pay for a chunk of shipping costs on stones that are returned. A restocking fee would be a fee in excess of shipping costs just for taking the stone back, and Swala has never done this to my knowledge.

Cheers,

Lisa
www.lisaelser.com
www.greengemfoundation.com

Thanks for explaining Lisa.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can't give you advise because I haven't seen it but it resembles the one I got from another vendor and yes, it has some purple and you would not like the sight of it. Moreover, mine has some metallic sheen to it... It seems to be totally different material from old Mahenges. Get a hand shot, though, I got it from a differet source so I may be wrong.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think I'm drawn to the purple pinks - :( Ah well. That'll save me $$ if I ever want to get a honker!

I can't wait to see what you wind up with, Bright Ice!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
athenaworth|1306184090|2928489 said:
I think I'm drawn to the purple pinks - :( Ah well. That'll save me $$ if I ever want to get a honker!

Get a light toned rhodolite then, they look the same, but for far less. :naughty: I obtained a purplish pink Mahenge once, from a highly recommended vendor, and I'd be darned if it didn't look like a rhodolite. I call those "mahenge wannabes."

BrightIce, there are plenty of others on Swala's site, check 'em out.

ked123

Rough_Rock
I've been going back and forth on purchasing a spessartite from Swala.

Regarding returns, I found this information on their website- is this not what you guys have experienced?

Returning gems to Tanzania is an issue. We’ve come to an agreement with a company in North America; they will receive the hypothetical returns.

Sending a UPS from Tanzania costs us $100. We usually charge $60 as we understand that $100 is a lot. We thus lose $40 for every UPS.
From now on, we’ll charge $60 for the UPS, as usual. However, if the client wants to return a gem, we will entirely refund the client but $100. We cannot afford to lose $40 each time someone wants to just view a gem. Thank you for your understanding.
If, for any reason, you wish to return your purchase, you have 7 days in which to notify us from the date you received your parcel. Please get in touch with us before shipping and we will let you know the best way for you to return your purchase.
We offer a full refund or exchange on goods returned in their initial state, less shipping, insurance, and other applicable charges.

If you receive goods in a damaged condition, please inform the carrier company immediately. Do not refuse the delivery, even if you have decided you no longer want the gem(s).

Returns are only applicable for internet sales.

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
Gemfix has some pretty Mahenges on the Newest Gems page. Though I don't claim to have eagle eyes for this sort of thing. I'm more of a magpie! :)

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ked123|1306185490|2928510 said:
I've been going back and forth on purchasing a spessartite from Swala.

Regarding returns, I found this information on their website- is this not what you guys have experienced?

Returning gems to Tanzania is an issue. We’ve come to an agreement with a company in North America; they will receive the hypothetical returns.

Sending a UPS from Tanzania costs us $100. We usually charge $60 as we understand that $100 is a lot. We thus lose $40 for every UPS.
From now on, we’ll charge $60 for the UPS, as usual. However, if the client wants to return a gem, we will entirely refund the client but $100. We cannot afford to lose $40 each time someone wants to just view a gem. Thank you for your understanding.
If, for any reason, you wish to return your purchase, you have 7 days in which to notify us from the date you received your parcel. Please get in touch with us before shipping and we will let you know the best way for you to return your purchase.
We offer a full refund or exchange on goods returned in their initial state, less shipping, insurance, and other applicable charges.

If you receive goods in a damaged condition, please inform the carrier company immediately. Do not refuse the delivery, even if you have decided you no longer want the gem(s).

Returns are only applicable for internet sales.

Yes, I have seen this on their site. Sounds fair to me :))

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1306184992|2928500 said:
athenaworth|1306184090|2928489 said:

Get a light toned rhodolite then, they look the same, but for far less. :naughty: I obtained a purplish pink Mahenge once, from a highly recommended vendor, and I'd be darned if it didn't look like a rhodolite. I call those "mahenge wannabes."

BrightIce, there are plenty of others on Swala's site, check 'em out.

I have looked, MANY times :cheeky:

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a new handshot photo. It is coming my way. What do you think?

4.54 oval spinel.jpg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I like the photo Brightice, and the stone very good size. Hopefully it's as neon pink in real life!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing else to do but wait for it. The hand picture looks promising even though I’m not a fan of the checkerboard cut (but that’s a personal thing). How long will it take to reach you? Until then, we can only speculate how it will react under different lighting conditions.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1306239439|2929003 said:
Nothing else to do but wait for it. The hand picture looks promising even though I’m not a fan of the checkerboard cut (but that’s a personal thing). How long will it take to reach you? Until then, we can only speculate how it will react under different lighting conditions.

I don't know how I will like the checkerboard cut. It will take 2-4 days.

Here is another photo

spinel_5k_light.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bright ice|1306239982|2929007 said:
Chrono|1306239439|2929003 said:

I don't know how I will like the checkerboard cut. It will take 2-4 days.

Here is another photo

Very pretty watermelon color. I would negotiate on the price as it is included.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL,
It is possible that what we are seeing in the magnified picture might not be seen IRL.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1306249333|2929095 said:
TL,
It is possible that what we are seeing in the magnified picture might not be seen IRL.

That is true, but I know dealers that give substantial discounts on even non visible inclusions. This may no longer be the case as there is less and less coming out of the ground in saturated color.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know which vendor/dealer you are talking about but I believe this vendor to the exception, rather than the norm.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1306249928|2929103 said:
I know which vendor/dealer you are talking about but I believe this vendor to the exception, rather than the norm.

I've seen it on Swala's site as Eric would state something like "there are inclusions and the price is adjusted accordingly," Multicolour.com, and Vancegems. From the photos, the inclusions would be similar in appearance to the AJS stone above, or less visible.

ETA: Oh yes, Tan would also give discounts on non-eye visible inclusions. I know because I bought some. :naughty:

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL,
Ron assures me it is eye clean. He states that even with his reading glasses on, it is eye clean. Only under 10x magnification are they seen. If this one is not satisfactory, it looks I will likely have to really shuck out big bucks to find something in my parameters.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bright ice|1306250518|2929113 said:
TL,
Ron assures me it is eye clean. He states that even with his reading glasses on, it is eye clean. Only under 10x magnification are they seen.

It's probably an SI stone if the inclusions can be seen under 10X, and some dealers charge less for SI stones, than VS (in the colored stone world). That has been my experience and I'm sticking with it, but it's up to you to make the decision based on what many of us have told you.

I would ask Rung something like this, and he shouldn't take offense. Collectors wheel and deal all the time on price, especially on expensive ones. "This is an SI stone, so are there any discounts on SI versus a VS clarity with the same color?"

I don't remember exactly how much this cost, but it could be discounted already. I think it's good to play your cards however. I know I would. ;))

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1306250763|2929116 said:
TL,
Ron assures me it is eye clean. He states that even with his reading glasses on, it is eye clean. Only under 10x magnification are they seen.

It's probably an SI stone if the inclusions can be seen under 10X, and some dealers charge less for SI stones, than VS (in the colored stone world). That has been my experience and I'm sticking with it, but it's up to you to make the decision based on what many of us have told you.

I would ask Rung something like this, and he shouldn't take offense. Collectors wheel and deal all the time on price, especially on expensive ones. "This is an SI stone, so are there any discounts on SI versus a VS clarity with the same color?"

I don't remember exactly how much this cost, but it could be discounted already. I think it's good to play your cards however. I know I would. ;))

4500.00 Beyound this one in a good ct wt, their inventory jumps up to the 9k mark :$$):

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bright ice|1306251769|2929126 said:
TL|1306250763|2929116 said:
TL,

4500.00 Beyound this one in a good ct wt, their inventory jumps up to the 9k mark :$$):

I think it's worth asking for a discount based on that price. You really have nothing to lose. The worst that can happen is that he can say "no." That's $1K/ct, and it may already be discounted based on the inclusions, but you never know unless you ask. ;))

AJS sometimes sends out coupons too, and I think as a first time customer, they might be willing to negotiate price with you on this one.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results