shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me find a Jyotish quality Yellow Sapphire

StarRHnegative

Rough_Rock
I've been looking around for a 2 to 3ct yellow sapphire. It has to be eye clean, decent color, decent cut, completely untreated. 90%+ clarity.
As far as eye clean.. not just from the top down. The whole gem.
Price.. well.. hoping to get something for under 6k.
Some small types of inclusions are acceptable for jyotish but since im not an expert on what isn't I want to stick with either a website like gemstoneuniverse or simply get fully eye clean.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, just to clarify, you want an unheated gem that is 90% clean?
The problem with this is that sapphires, being natural gems, have inclusions. Silk, or Rutile needles, are a very common inclusion in sapphires so this is why they are often heat treated to make them clearer looking.

Have a look under PS gems for sale. Diamondseeker2006 has a larger beautiful yellow sapphire for sale, within your budget, and it is an unheated and eye clean gem.
This is a good opportunity to get a lovely gem at an excellent price. She is only selling it because she has another very similiar gem she is keeping and doesn’t need two.

StarRHnegative

Rough_Rock
What sapphire would you guys choose ?

https://www.wildfishgems.com/inc/sdetail/unheated_ceylon_sapphire_3_65/10985/16453

Or diamond seekers2006s yellow sapphire?

I'm looking for the cleanest first of all- then the best color then carat weight of atleast 3 but up to 5.... and price falls within that too. But i am willing to pay more for a better sapphire and both of the ones I listed offer payment increments.
What do you guys think?

StarRHnegative

Rough_Rock
Do you think diamondseekers is cleaner ? Ed says his is eye clean.. seems his pictures are highly magnified.

But diamonds seem to be somewhat magnified also

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
DS states the mm size of her stone in the listing you posted, so it’s pretty easy to shrink her pictures to that actual size. That’s what I do to get an idea when trying to assess a stone online. It’s obviously not perfect, but helps!

ETA - I may be being ignorant, but I have zero idea what Jyotish is. Care to educate?

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
Both are nice. I don't know what prices you are talking but buying from a private seller is a very different matter than buying than buying from a company. Diamondseeker is a nice color, but Ed's cut looks terrific.

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
P.S. I noticed why I find DS's cut so strange: the back-tip (whats-the-name?) is missing. Is it normal not to have a tip in the back?

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
PPS Don't you need a tip to touch your skin in a jyotish gem?

StarRHnegative

Rough_Rock
Yes jyotish has to touch the skin. Do you think the flat back is not able to be set to touch ?

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
Yes, you want to bundle the gem's energy in one single point. The setting must bring this point to sit just above the skin, not yet touching, but almost.

Anne111

Shiny_Rock

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like them both, but if I had to choose I think I maybe prefer the oval.
Wildfish runs decent sales fairly often so it’s worth getting on their email list.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DS states the mm size of her stone in the listing you posted, so it’s pretty easy to shrink her pictures to that actual size. That’s what I do to get an idea when trying to assess a stone online. It’s obviously not perfect, but helps!

ETA - I may be being ignorant, but I have zero idea what Jyotish is. Care to educate?

Apparently it’s an astrology thing.

What is a Jyotish gemstone? Truth of Astrological Gemstones

In Simple terms a Jyotish Gemstone or an Astrological Gemstone is a Gem recommended on basis of sacred Astrological principles of Jyotisha to bring in dawn of fame and fortune and accomplishment of desires. But not every Gem is a Jyotish Gemstone.

A Gemstone is a Jyotish Gem only when it excels on all 4C’s-the cut, color, clarity and carat weight and the crystal is of exceptional lustre with a color so fine and closest to its true spectral color that it looks outstanding. Only an untreated Gem like that qualifies to be a Jyotish Gemstone and has the capacity to bring about promised results. It is very improtant to understand various Gemstone meanings.

StarRHnegative

Rough_Rock
Hmm not sure where you heard it should not touch the skin but according to all the information I've learned it absolutely has to touch the skin. And it doesnt matter if it's pointed or not. Ovals are used all the time, even cabs and neither of those have points. Not like a round anyway.

StarRHnegative

Rough_Rock
My question was more on the lines of do you think that stone could be set in a bezel pendant setting that touches the skin.

StarRHnegative

Rough_Rock
The only thing really setting the two apart that i know of at this point in time are wildfish is AGL certified and diamonds has no certification.

But i love the antique cut. And it appears to be a little cleaner of a stone. And uh well bigger and maybe better color? It's hard to tell with Eds gem on the color. Pic is so far away.

What are yals opinions on the colors of each?
Diamonds definitely a more saturated yellow?

StarRHnegative

Rough_Rock
I like them both, but if I had to choose I think I maybe prefer the oval.
Wildfish runs decent sales fairly often so it’s worth getting on their email list.

Why would you prefer the oval?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamondseeker’s stone us from Jeff white. No one cuts better and has a better eye for color.

Hands down the cutting seems much better on the cushion

StarRHnegative

Rough_Rock
But if the bottom of jeff whites stone touched my skin... would it mess up the light reflection ?

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
But if the bottom of jeff whites stone touched my skin... would it mess up the light reflection ?
I wouldn’t think so...but I would ask her to place it against her skin and see if it changes light reflection. Maybe even ask for a pic of the stone that way for your piece of mind. She is very well known on the forum and you can trust what she tells you. You will be lucky to own that beautiful stone!

StarRHnegative

Rough_Rock
What do you think about it being uncertified? How much and what is the time period to get a stone certified by AGL or GIA?

StarRHnegative

Rough_Rock
Ok so nvm the bottom of the cushion cut is pointed. No worries about a flat bottom.

Seems like the only real thing is the certification. Would you trust Jeff White's analysis that its untreated or - i thought you need a special machine to really be sure?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I forgot about my one (too many gems) but I just posted in PS Preloved if you want to have a look.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ok so nvm the bottom of the cushion cut is pointed. No worries about a flat bottom.

Seems like the only real thing is the certification. Would you trust Jeff White's analysis that its untreated or - i thought you need a special machine to really be sure?
That’s great new about the culet being pointed!
Since untreated is very important to you, you could ask diamondseeker if she knows how Jeff determined it to be unheated. Some of the vendors have more sophisticated equipment than a consumer would have to make their assessments, but I don’t think they have the equipment like AGL or GIA have. AGL processing varies depending on how busy they are, if you call they will tell you how long it would take to process your stone. Here is a link to their current price list : http://aglgemlab.com/pricelist/

StarRHnegative

Rough_Rock
She said because it has silk andit would be destroyed with heating

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All natural sapphires have inclusions. Silk, which are rutile needles inclusions, get destroyed when a sapphire is heated.
Rutile needles, if there’s a lot of them, can make a sapphire look hazy and less transparent so that why they heat them, to dissolve the rutile needles and make the gem look clearer.
It is easy, with a microscope, to check for signs of heating, it will show broken bits of rutile and/or other crystals “exploded”.
But this is not something you can see with your unaided eyes.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results