shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me find a 0.5-0.8ct OEC please

wifelife

Rough_Rock
Hi!

I am searching for a 0.5-0.8ct OEC, for a rhr which I will set in an art deco halo. I have been doing a lot of reading about what facet patterns there are and I do not have a particular preference. I am colour sensitive so ideally I would like a stone which is I or higher for colour and eye clean. I also like transitional cut stones. Just feeling overwhelmed by the angles, depths, tables, etc.

I am in Australia and with the weak dollar and taxes I would like to keep the stone under $1.5usd is possible. If layaway is an option I could possible stretch it a bit more.

I have found a H si2 stone, but the table is 50% and depth is 56.2%, but this is too shallow?
Here is a photo included below.

Thank you all in advance!

Attachments

• unnamed2.jpg
    unnamed2.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 182

wifelife

Rough_Rock
Bump... I am open to suggestions!

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would take a look at some of the vendors online to get your eye in, try Jewels by Grace and Old World diamonds for starters. The latter seem to have a big inventory. Also look at Parks Fine Group on Instagram, they often post interesting stones and pricing seems competitive.

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
I just posted the one that I found - I was looking for pretty much the exact same thing, same size and there's a thread about the one I found. It's really tough. I finally found one but I realized that I needed to have the ability to return it if it didn't look like what I wanted in person. If you look at enough online you will start to get an idea of what they "should" look like, what the patterns are, and what the price range is. Your budget is plenty for a 0.5-0.6ct unless you shop at some of the more expensive places - I find Jewels by Grace to be on the high end. You can probably find one closer to 0.75ct within your budget as well if you are patient. The one I just bought is an uncerted, 0.73ct and H/SI1 (I can't see any inclusions with a loupe). It has the checkerboard pattern and is very lively. It came in a vintage setting which added to the price a bit but in total was about $1350 USD. Just to give you an idea.

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock

This could be an option. You might want to ask for more photos but it looks like it has potential and you can salvage the metal and reset the center stone. Seems like a decent price to me.

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
Thankyou for the suggestion- I will check it out now.

I saved a few eBay ones for you that meet the criteria and will try to link them here.

wifelife

Rough_Rock
Oh wow, thank you so much!

I like this one-

And this ring I could use the other stones in the setting, too.

One of the sellers has a lot of stones... what are your thoughts on these? I've never bought an OEC before and I know their tables are too large, but would they be more a transitional? I still have so much to learn!

This one has a brown tinge, is the stone holder or something else?

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock

I like this one-

One of the sellers has a lot of stones... what are your thoughts on these? I've never bought an OEC before and I know their tables are too large, but would they be more a transitional? I still have so much to learn!

The ‘brown’ one says it’s a G so I doubt it’s really that color.

I’m certainly not an expert because I’m fairly new here but I have been doing a Lot of studying! I have decided that I don’t need to distinguish between ‘early’ small table OEC’s and slightly later transitionals. I think they both have the same qualities of chunky facets and colorful fire. I look for two things - a nice facet pattern that appeals to me, and that they aren’t too modern in cut which makes them look more splintery. I prefer a smaller culet so I tend to lean towards transitionals.

Definitely ask for more photos and even a video if possible.

wifelife

Rough_Rock
I agree, I do tend to find I am gravitating more towards transitional cut stones as well.

I have emailed for more photos in different lighting/ angles.

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock

I like this one-

I don’t know anything about these sellers but I usually look for nearly perfect feedback scores.

Hopefully someone else here will weigh in on which of these is the ‘best’ choice. I do like the first one. It has a lot of clarity aspects mentioned but is still a VS so that’s interesting. I have one with similar proportions and same size and it sparkles like mad with tons of fire. I need to decide what to do with it now!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results