shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me figure out this Silver Blue Spinel cushion

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i think ''getting ready'' includes seeing as many stones as you [we :)] can see! i think once you''ve seen them side by side and the different shapes as well, you''ll really get a better idea re color....and may even decide you can live with a different shape to get the color and QUALITY you want. no sense in getting just a stone that doesn''t look much better than a piece of glass. like you said, you want to wear this piece lots, not just with a particular outfit.

if you fall in love with a stone, you''ll find a setting but may have to go custom to get the look you want. color stones just are not calibrated the way a diamond is. storm is right about a pointed culet and faceting....the more a color stone is cut like a diamond by a really good craftsperson, the more ''life'' it will have. my experience also says that the deeper the stone, the better the color.

but if you''re in love with a setting, you''re stuck having to find a stone that fits it.....and that stone just may not be super and sing to you because you have had to compromise to get a particlar size.

repeat: i think seeing as many stones as possible to develop your own eye is necessary before you''re ready to purchase. it also keeps you feeling like you''re working towards your project. and if you do fall in love with a stone, then you either buy it or know what you want when you are ready to buy.

speaking for myself only, i think that color stone mounting is less important than the actual stone itself. i know others will disagree. but i want the stone to be the star of the project, not the mounting. yes, i want a mounting that is pleasing to my eye as i want the total project to speak to me, but if that color stone which is the reason for the project in the first place [for me] doesn''t make me want to sing every time i look at it, then why bother?

another thought: see if you can find a cutter to cut a stone to fit the desired mounting. or work with someone like wink jones who could source the stone and mount it for you.

nothing helps to define what we like more than seeing what we don''t like. you learned somethings from this particular stone and got a great opportunity to view and learn more from the same vendor! win/win in my book!

movie zombie

widget

Ideal_Rock
Author: movie zombie
speaking for myself only, i think that color stone mounting is less important than the actual stone itself. i know others will disagree. but i want the stone to be the star of the project,
I totally agree with you MZ....I bet most colored stone freaks feel this way. In fact I personally have trouble ''relating'' to the legions of PSers who agonize over different solitaire mountings which all seem remarkably similar to me. My reaction is: Huh?

Ah well, Vive la difference!
1.gif

widget

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
I absolutely agree with you guys about falling in love with a stone first. I think that is how I knew this wasn't the right one for me...I couldn't figure out how I would like to see it each day.

Are you guys serious about a gem viewing? Do you want me to email him and see if we could set something up? Just say the word...

widget

Ideal_Rock
I''m totally serious....I''d love to go!
36.gif

Sad truth is, I don''t think I''ve ever seen a spinel IRL!!!!

I''d love to see some good red ones. I didn''t see too many on their site....I also would love to see some moonstones....hmm...this could be so much fun!

MZ...are you up for it???
3.gif

widget

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

Date: 8/1/2006 5:30:35 PM
Author: wallermama
I absolutely agree with you guys about falling in love with a stone first. I think that is how I knew this wasn''t the right one for me...I couldn''t figure out how I would like to see it each day.

Are you guys serious about a gem viewing? Do you want me to email him and see if we could set something up? Just say the word...
word!

seriously, i''d love a gem viewing if we can coordinate our schedules. most weekends are impossible for me due to phase II of retaining wall/landscaping project. for the next three weeks only august 9, 11, 16, 22, and 25 are dates i''m unavailable during the week. the last week of august is prep for tiff and so i''m not available. otherwise, it looks like october for me.

movie zombie

Widget: re "In fact I personally have trouble ''relating'' to the legions of PSers who agonize over different solitaire mountings which all seem remarkably similar to me. My reaction is: Huh?"
ROFLOL!!!!! my reaction also!

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/1/2006 6:16:10 PM

"My reaction is: Huh?"

ROFLOL!!!!! my reaction also!
Hee hee....I justed whispered that thought over here in ColGemstnes, hoping no one would notice!
32.gif

I''m pretty open. Thursdays and Fridays are not my best, but I could arrange it if I had to. Sounds like you and Wallermama should figure out the best day...

Goody!
widget

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i might actually be able to work something out for august 22 if it comes to that.......but not eary in the day.

also, i could stretch into august 28 [a monday] if need be, but that does it for me for that week.

wow! this is exciting....the mere thought of looking at color with other color lovers!

movie zombie

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
OK...I emailed him to see what his schedule is like...I''ll let you know what he says!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
Widget and Movie Zombie...and any other Bay Area gem folks....

David just emailed....he could meet us either the 8th or 15th before he goes back to Thailand...any possibility either of you could make it one of those days?

widget

Ideal_Rock
Goody! Either day would be OK with me. I''d probably prefer the 15th...but can do it Tuesday if that''s best for you guys...

We''re on the same wave length, Waller! I was just sitting here thinking about this when your post popped up!

widge

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
OH Good Lord, I would give an;ything to go with you all and finally meet you. I would LOVE to look at Spinels too.

My hubby was in a motorcycle accident and I won''t be able to make it.

Hopfully, we can plan another tirp to S.F. someday to look at gems?

Please let me know how your trip went.

Linda

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
Widget, I''d prefer the 15th too, but can do the 8th, so let''s see what MZ says.

Linda! Your husband! Is he OK? Ugg. My husband drives a vespa and that is my worst nightmare.

We can certainly do this again! And again! And again!
1.gif

C Smith

Shiny_Rock
The stone looks mildly assymetrical to my eye.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i can do either date! wow! color stones in sf with color stone lovers! what fun!

movie zombie

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
innerkitten lives in the city, i think. i''m going to start another thread to her attention to look at this one.

movie zombiie

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I think the 15th would be easy for me too. Where will you be meeting?

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
Wallermama.

I just discovered this thread. I agree with the others that you should return the stone. The color looks wishy-washy and the window is too big. It''s really hard to buy color stones on line as the true color may not be represented on the screen. It''s much better to see the stones in person. Is this dealer a spinel only dealer or does he have all kinds of goodies? I bought my first red spinel 20 years ago when no one wanted them. I am interested in a pair of pad color spinels for earrings, but that may be wishful thinking as they are hard to find. Where and when are you meeting this dealer. I may be interested if I can take a day off.

AN

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
any progress re date, time, location to meet?

movie zombie

widget

Ideal_Rock
It sounds to me like the 15th is going to work best.

I guess where we meet should be based on the location of Wallermama''s spinel guy.

Waller...are you out there?
1.gif

widget

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i might add that while august 15 works for me, getting there from here by 10a is going to be about the earliest i can do. i'll drop be hubby at work in mountain view [someone has to pay for the pretties!] and either drive up or take bart in. again, i'd rather not try to meet any earlier than 10a..... given the price of gas i really don't want to have two cars in the bay area on the same day.

i'm hoping wallermama's color stone connection has lots of stones for us to see! anyone else have any other ideas of somewhere else we could also check out since we'll be in the city anyway?

movie zombie

eta: i'll have to clean my spess for this event!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Perhaps somewhere near the underground muni or BART for those that will be coming by public transport. 16th and Mission is kind of icky. The Castro is a safe part of town and central too near transport etc. Parking anywhere is going to be a pain in any part of the city. You know how that goes.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i''m comfortable navigating around the city whether via car or public transit. however, parking is ALWAYS an issue. depending on where wallermama''s connection is will probably determine for me which i do. and what time we''re meeting!

if i were simply driving from home to sf, it wouldn''t be so bad....but dropping hubby to conserve car use adds about 45 minutes one way to my trip. back when gas wasn''t so pricey, i''d take a separate car and drive skyline to 92 to 280 then catch bart in daly city for my commute in to do volunteer work in the mission for national lawyers guild. however, i can always catch bart in milbrae after dropping hubby in mountain view....or i could take caltrain up, i guess, but i prefer bart.

so it will all come down to where in the city we''re supposed to be!

we need you, wallermama! obviously, there are those of us getting excited about seeing some color!

movie zombie

ps Art Nouveau, not sure where you''re located, but how''s it looking for taking a day off and joining us?

Widget, will you be driving or coming in via ferry?

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my goodness I''m sorry guys! We were in Sunnyvale all day yesterday and I''ve had my kids out baking in the sun all day today. I''m sorry to go MIA!

So...yes...the 15th obviously will be best for all. And he said 1pm would be good for him. So in my opinion, it would be great to meet for 11:30am for lunch and ooohing and aaaahing at each other''s baubles, then we can meet David, or he can join us at the restaurant, or we can figure out another place? That''s the tricky part.

He said he would be fine if we met in his flat, unless we can come up with something "more cool." That''s where I got stuck...because it seemed like meeting up in a public place that we could post here made the most sense, but I''m not sure where. He''s in the Grove/Fillmore area. Maybe I''ll email him and ask for recommendation.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I''m going to go read all of your last posts more closely to see if you guys had any ideas. I wanted to post ASAP so you wouldn''t think I was dead
2.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i would prefer to meet at the location where he will have the most stones. if he is able to carry his portfolio, will he have enough stones to keep us occupied?

Zuni Cafe is a possible place to eat not far from Grove/Fillmore.

Magnolia Pub and Brewery: corner of Haight and Masonic.

or this neighborhood: http://www.sfgate.com/traveler/guide/sf/neighborhoods/hayesvalley.shtml

i''ve eaten at Absinthe and The Crepe Place. http://www.sanfrancisco.com/restaurants/Absinthe+Brasserie+and+Bar/2542 Absinthe will require a reservation.

also fairly close: http://www.operaplaza.com/retail/
Max''s Opera Cafe, will need reservations.
and i''ve eaten at Shima Sushi some time back...very good. other things besides sushi.
parking is horrible.

we''d probably opt for a taxi from any one of these locations. any other ideas?

movie zombie

ps perhaps our purveyor of color gems would have a suggestion re where to eat and we could meet him at his flat?

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
So here''s what I think...let me know your thoughts.

I emailed David, and asked him the inventory question. If he seems to have a large inventory, I say we find a restaurant nearer to him, meet at 11:30am, and then meet him after lunch at his flat around 1pm. Then if people still have time after that, we can taxi to whatever area people want to windowshop (Union St, Union Square, etc).

If he has a relatively small inventory, I would suggest that we decide where we most want to go oogle jewelry, and find a restaurant THERE, where we will ask David to meet us at the restaurant at the end of our meal. If it is not a huge amount of spinels in his possession at this point in his trip, that would then become less of the main reason we are meeting. We can obviously do a lot of comparing, fawning, and talking even david doesn''t occupy a huge amount of our time. Lord knows the time flew when we had the PS meeting in Palo Alto, didn''t it widget and art nouveau? No shortage of baubles to drool on and shop talk with like-minded obsessives!

What do you think?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
is his inventory limited to spinels?

movie zombie

widget

Ideal_Rock
Here''s the site: www.gemcal.com

It looks like they do mostly spinels, some moonstone and peridot too...

Someone asked if I''ll be taking the ferry...no...driving, and probably will end up parking either at Union Square or Union Street, whatever we decide....and cabbing it to meet up with you guys. Then hopefully I''ll be able to hitch a ride back to "shopping" after we''re done with lunch and meeting.

(I''m a helpless dufus driving in the City...and hope to avoid doing much if at all possible...
40.gif
)

widget

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/7/2006 11:15:51 PM
Author: widget

Here''s the site: www.gemcal.com

It looks like they do mostly spinels, some moonstone and peridot too...

Someone asked if I''ll be taking the ferry...no...driving, and probably will end up parking either at Union Square or Union Street, whatever we decide....and cabbing it to meet up with you guys. Then hopefully I''ll be able to hitch a ride back to ''shopping'' after we''re done with lunch and meeting.

(I''m a helpless dufus driving in the City...and hope to avoid doing much if at all possible...
40.gif
)

widget

Yes, to get back to the original start of this post, I''m totally new to colored gems, and bought one from gemcal, and when they figured out I was in SF offered to let me see their spinels in person, since David was here (he goes back and forth to Thailand). So that is all I know...they are primarily spinel folks, PS people have had good experiences with them....but I don''t know any more that you all past that. And probably less, since you guys KNOW your gems!
2.gif
So I really don''t know what to expect, how many stones he''ll have etc, but I figure whatever he has will increase the amount of spinels I have seen in person exponentially, since I have only seen ONE! And I like everything I read about spinels.

I actually walked to the SF Gem and Mineral Society''s Gem Show in golden gate park this weekend...it was cute. My kids loved it and we saw some beautiful things. It focused on quartz this year. The vendors had some interesting stuff...one thing that caught my eye was dichroic oregon sunstone. Beautiful!

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
ooo ooo ooo is it too late for me to join in on the party?!! I would love make a little trip out to SF!!!

there are a lot of cute places to eat on Fillmore - but the names of the restaurants escape me!

ETA: And I have a baby spinel that I want to set, but haven't yet - perhaps I can bring it and you all could give me ideas!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results