shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me figure out this Silver Blue Spinel cushion

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
I must start off by saying that I know virtually nothing about colored gemstones, except what I have picked up hunting around for the spinel. So I''ve read the spinel threads here, and poked around various recommended websites. But you can work with the assumption that I am innocent as a baby, here.

So my 3.87ct Silver Blue Spinel cushion arrived from Bangkok today from Gemcal.com, and I don''t know what to make of it! It''s not an "I don''t like it" feeling...it is a "I don''t get you" kind of feeling. If that makes sense.

It is like a slippery silvery chameleon, going from dark pewter to sky blue to everything in between depending on the lighting of the room, the angle, etc. At one minute it is a ball of flashes, and the next it seems to be a clear windowpane that shows whatever surface is underneath it as clear as a bell.

I am really on the fence, so help me out. I want to know your thoughts, positive or negative, on what you can see in cut, color, etc. For eval purposes, I paid $252. I also want to know if that was in the correct ballpark. They had spinels all over the place pricewise, and this was the most expensive of the ones I was looking at, due it having the "best silver color" of the silver blue spinels I was considering, they said.

I''ve got lots of photos, so I''ll try to weed through them. It''s darn hard to photograph these puppies loose!

L1010337.JPG

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
Another...

L1010339.JPG

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
A pretty representative shot...

L1010298.JPG

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
So whammo here comes the sky blue.....

(Like my wedding set turned backwards and the inventive use of doublestick tape?
2.gif
)

L1010357.JPG

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Do you have the link to it on their website, or have they already removed it? I have a number of stones from them, and I have been very pleased so far. Their cuts are very good compared to many other online vendors that I have found. I have a cushion in the cinnamon pink color and it windows from a certain side angle too...I think it''s the properties of the stone combined with the deep depth of the cushion cut. It think it looks very nice in your pics. What are you planning on doing with it?

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
Same "fancy setting", totally different color...

L1010344.JPG

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/28/2006 1:41:58 PM
Author: FacetFire
Do you have the link to it on their website, or have they already removed it? I have a number of stones from them, and I have been very pleased so far. Their cuts are very good compared to many other online vendors that I have found. I have a cushion in the cinnamon pink color and it windows from a certain side angle too...I think it''s the properties of the stone combined with the deep depth of the cushion cut. It think it looks very nice in your pics. What are you planning on doing with it?

Hi facetfire,

Nope, they took it off of their website as soon as they put it on hold for me. So even I don''t have the info that was there! It''s measurements, etc.

I really liked working with Hemi. And her partner David was going to be here in San Francisco and offered to mee me in person to show me some stones, but I was out of town then.

And to my ignorant eyes the cut looks lovely...very deep, but lovely. And I don''t know enough to know if the windows are normal...See! I don''t know nuthin''!

I haven''t decided on a pendant or ring...see my Original Spinel Post for some setting ideas I had...

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s a shot that shows it in one of its darkest looks...

L1010319.JPG

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
And in a pic like this, it looks as light as can be...you can see my skin straight through it, it seems!

L1010346.JPG

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
some nice sparkles...

L1010326.JPG

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
I''m going to post the last few...too many, I know...but I keep figuring that one might tell you guys something I can''t see!

L1010302.JPG

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
three...

L1010330.JPG

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
two...

L1010331.JPG

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
one!

L1010342.JPG

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
So, what exactly about it are you uncomfortable with? I have several spinels. One is the cushion from GemCal and another is a round portuguese cut in purple. Both change colors depending on the light I''m in. Both also window if I tilt them...even though they are stunningly bright sparkly cuts from the top. Here''s a couple pics of my cushion from GemCal so you can see...

pinkspinel 016small.JPG

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
And here you can see the windowing...

pinkspinel 012small.JPG

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
All rightie ... I know as much about colored gems as you do ... but I''ll give a laymen''s opinion ... Me. No. Likie.

Seems like the facets are concentrated in little triangular areas in the corners of the stone ... leaving huge wide swaths barren/glassy/transparent. I like the OUTLINE shape, and each of it''s many splendored hues ...but the cut bothers me.

Get thee to Tsvorite!
31.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
While the picture from their website was lovely.....I''m not digging this stone. If it were mine, I''d return it. That''s my brutal truth. The shape is beautiful but there is something wonky on the cut...in some pictures it almost looks like it''s a hybrid cushion/emerald cut and it''s throwing me off. The color isn''t as nice in person to me either.

However, that''s my subjective, layman''s opinion!!!
1.gif
So don''t hold it against me.
2.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/28/2006 1:36:13 PM
Author:wallermama
So my 3.87ct Silver Blue Spinel cushion arrived from Bangkok today from Gemcal.com, and I don''t know what to make of it! It''s not an ''I don''t like it'' feeling...it is a ''I don''t get you'' kind of feeling. If that makes sense.
HI:

I understand what you are saying--b/c I get that feeling also. It is interesting to be sure, but is that enough to warrent the output for a custom setting? Maybe it is just me, but I liked to be "wowed" by colored stones and jewellery. "Neat'' is my response, but not "wow, gotta have it". Good luck on what you decide!
1.gif

cheers--Sharon

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
I KNEW I could count on you guys to help me out. You summed it up...I think it is the faceted ends and bare middle that confuses me.

I''ll call it "Modified Brilliant Dog-Bone"

I showed it to Kristydarling in the flesh and she really liked it, but after I met with her I looked at settings and couldn''t imagine what to do with it. And kept lowering the amount I''d spend on the setting because I was realizing that it wouldn''t be everyday, and I am soooo an everyday jewelry girl. So I think that answered my own question.

I think it is lovely, and yet needs to go back.

THANKS!!!!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awwwww...you''re sending it back? Well, I kinda had the feeling you might. Because if you took it out of the box and didn''t immediately scream, "Yeehaa!!!!" then it probably wasn''t meant to be. To my untrained eye, it looked beautiful. I loved the color change. But you are right that it is a tad large for an everyday ring. If it were maybe just 1 to 1.5 carats smaller, then it probably would''ve been beautiful as a simple, bezel set ring or pendant. Cushion shapes are very becoming on you...I could totally see you getting another little something along those lines.
9.gif

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/28/2006 2:09:28 PM
Author: FacetFire
So, what exactly about it are you uncomfortable with? I have several spinels. One is the cushion from GemCal and another is a round portuguese cut in purple. Both change colors depending on the light I''m in. Both also window if I tilt them...even though they are stunningly bright sparkly cuts from the top. Here''s a couple pics of my cushion from GemCal so you can see...

Oh, Facetfire, that is soooo gorgeous. I loved working with Gemcal and will definitely try again. ANd the cutting o fyour cushion is lovely....

Maybe cinnamon is in my future.....
30.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
brutally honest: i would send it back if it had been sent to me. not strong enough color, too much windowing, grey overtone to the color. if you don''t like it now, you won''t like it when the project is done.

the only way one can ever know is to see a stone in person. return shipping costs are cheap compared to getting stuck with a stone you don''t like. the good news: is you''ve now seen what you don''t like, and that will help you as you start seeing more spinels.

movie zombie

widget

Ideal_Rock
A little late here, but I''m with everyone else....I think you''re right to send it back.

As far as I''m concerned, if a gemstone doesn''t knock your lights out when you open the box, then it should go back! I have a couple of stones that I was sort of "iffy" about, but decided to keep them. They''re just gathering dust now...I''ll never mount them....
40.gif

Facetfire: Your spinel DEFINITELY knocks my lights out!!!!
23.gif
WOW
30.gif

widget

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, guys! (Now I just have to save enough money to get a setting for it) :)

Waller, I''m sorry it wasn''t the right one for you. That silver blue color looks tricky. Personally, if you weren''t set on a cushion, I might go for this one:

http://www.gemcal.com/item--Silver-blue-Spinel-4-00-cts-1631-455--1631_455.html

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
A slight re-cut of the pavilion would have likely helped that stone a lot.
A pointed culet instead a keel and some angle changes and it would likely rock your world.

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
So the cool thing about Gemcal.com is that there are 2 partners...Hemi is in Bangkok and David does US sales from San Francisco. So even though she shipped the stone from Thailand, I returned it to him in SF, and they said I can meet with david here in my own city to see their entire US inventory in the flesh--more spinels than the website has! Wow. I''ll wait until I''m more ready...one thing about getting this spinel was that I realized I''m not ready with the right idea (and budget for that idea) so I might as well take it slower and think about what I really want. I''m all about getting jewelry that will be very frequently worn, so I want to think through this carefully and not end up with a fab ring that I only wear when I wear a certain sweater
2.gif

Widget, maybe I could drag you out of the hills so we could meet with him someday...wouldn''t that be fun? You could help me pick....I smell a gem-related boondoggle!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
you might even get me out of the santa cruz mountains and into sf for a color gem viewing!

movie zombie

widget

Ideal_Rock
Oh, man....a private showing of their entire inventory????? You can bet that would get me down the mountain and heading for SF!!!!!!!

LOL....of course it would be great seeing you again, too, waller.....
1.gif

And the wonderful Movie Zombie too????? How great would that be???

Let''s do it!!!
3.gif
36.gif

widget

widget

Ideal_Rock
Author: wallermama
and they said I can meet with david here in my own city to see their entire US inventory in the flesh--more spinels than the website has! Wow. I''ll wait until I''m more ready...
Hmmm, what can we do to make you "more ready"???
31.gif

widget

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results