Help me figure out if this diamond is worth 7.8k

Golden_bird

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Plz show us again the diamond you have picked!!!:roll2:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel for the poster in this scenario. I feel as tho he was clear and consistent in what he was looking for. It was PS who didn't listen, not him.

Firstly - and this is just in passing - that '60/60' stone was not a 60/60 stone at all. So none of those comments applied. A 58% table is still within the range of ideal proportions for those looking for a normal ideal cut stone. And the depth, at 61%, is a dream. It might not have been a great stone - but it wasn't a 60/60.

Secondly, the OP's girlfriend might feel she already HAD participated in the ring choosing process. He asked her, she told him. And it seems to me that the rest of this thread has been at pains to convince him to push her away from the ring she's already chosen. She's already said what she wants and we should have respected that.

All this "Buy this! Buy it NOW!" stuff is just pressure and massively confusing. I saw this thread try to convince the OP to buy a stone IMMEDIATELY - on multiple occasions. This is one of those 'I can't hear myself think' moments for an OP.

And just to finish - there is no such thing as a unicorn diamond within this range. We act as tho stones and deals will never come again. This is simply not true. The fact that we want to 'wrap this up' is not the issue here. The OP did not come to this site asking to be saved from himself. Or to have his mind changed. People are allowed to ask their own questions - not ask one question, be told they're asking the wrong one, get given a different answer to a different question, and then have people screaming at them when they say "But that wasn't my question...." And as for a bunch of strangers trying to pressure a man they've never met into changing his budget....well, that's just shocking.

The OP is spending 10 thousand dollars. Four days on PS is nothing. I've seen people (let's face it - like ME) - run threads for weeks and weeks on "which setting should I choose?" People are allowed to go at their own pace, to let diamonds slip away, to change their minds, to learn, to go backwards, and then to end wherever they want to end.

I did a search on BN. I found this: it's a 1.52ct I SI2. It's got inclusions, sure, but I suspect that they won't be apparent at 10". It has ideal specs, zero fluorescence, and an HCA score of 1. After wire, it's $7914.48. That was one search on one day in one minute. And if that was my budget, it's a stone I'd be willing to buy in a heartbeat. Might it be a little less than icy pure? Perhaps. But it's definitely worth considering and far better than the stone the OP initially posted.

OP - I hope your girl loves her ring, and I wish you well for your future together.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b, I disagree with your assessment. The OP wanted a ring within 3 weeks and was unwilling to spend a penny more than $7800 on the diamond. People suggested that he could go down .1 mm in size, and he said no. People suggested numerous ways he could compromise, and he said no to all of them. He was told to either up his budget OR budge on one of his other specs. It truly did seem like the OP was asking PS to do the impossible.

I didn't even contribute much at all, but this thread took up a lot of my time and my husband is so thrilled that the OP has bought a ring because he was tired of hearing about it. :lol: I can only imagine the amount of time that those making the diamond suggestions put in.

In the end, it all worked out for the best, and the OP is getting a much higher quality diamond than the one that he saw in the jewelry store.

I would say that this is a PS success story.

ETA- People were rushing the OP to put some things on hold because they knew someone else would snap them up otherwise, and they were diamonds with specs/price combos that would be difficult to replace.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b wrote: "Secondly, the OP's girlfriend might feel she already HAD participated in the ring choosing process. He asked her, she told him. And it seems to me that the rest of this thread has been at pains to convince him to push her away from the ring she's already chosen. She's already said what she wants and we should have respected that."

The setting that she chose was not working with his budget. She ended up with a different, yet similar, ring that she is happy about. Again, I see it as a win.

mathnerd88

Rough_Rock
@mrs-b wrote: "Secondly, the OP's girlfriend might feel she already HAD participated in the ring choosing process. He asked her, she told him. And it seems to me that the rest of this thread has been at pains to convince him to push her away from the ring she's already chosen. She's already said what she wants and we should have respected that."

The setting that she chose was not working with his budget. She ended up with a different, yet similar, ring that she is happy about. Again, I see it as a win.

Honestly, I can say that no girl is truly happy until they've tried on the ring and love the look. I can understand where she is coming from. It might look nice online, but obviously the pictures online and actual are very different, and may look different on different hands, etc.

My point is...there's still a chance where she won't be happy about the ring. All my past ex girlfriends have this thing where they found something that looks gorgeous online, but when they actually tried it, it isn't as nice. I think this happens quite often.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@mathnerd88, My suggestion was that the OP order the ring and let his girlfriend approve it first. He chose not to go that route and made a custom order. I am not sure of his vendors return policy on custom items but, that's his choice.

Edit - I was actually just about to suggest that he buy the ring that she wanted since she liked it so much. But then I saw that the OP had already placed the order.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Totally agree @mathnerd88. My girl drove me nuts before we found a setting. Stuff she saw online she tried in stores and hated.

I ended up custom building her setting but only after we found one in a store she liked, touched, etc. Then I took her back a second time to make sure. When she started calling it "her ring" I knew what I had to do as the inspiration piece was over priced and crappy quality. Luckily DK converted the original clunky version into a streamlined version that was customized to sit around her specific stone. And I saved a few bucks to boot.

ez-real

Rough_Rock
@mathnerd88, My suggestion was that the OP order the ring and let his girlfriend approve it first. He chose not to go that route and made a custom order. I am not sure of his vendors return policy on custom items but, that's his choice.

Edit - I was actually just about to suggest that he buy the ring that she wanted since she liked it so much. But then I saw that the OP had already placed the order.

I ended up paying few more 100's $ for the custom ring, and that extra is nonrefundable. I am 99.99% it won't happen since she was so involved in the decision and I got a ring just as the one she liked in 2 different stores. It was much cheaper online, even after the customization, than those stores. And in the end of the day I have no doubt the diamond is special and she will love it, and that's what matters the most. Ring is a friction of the price compared to the diamond. And you guys helped me find a really good one, much better than the one she liked on the store.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I ended up paying few more 100's $ for the custom ring, and that extra is nonrefundable. I am 99.99% it won't happen since she was so involved in the decision and I got a ring just as the one she liked in 2 different stores. It was much cheaper online, even after the customization, than those stores. And in the end of the day I have no doubt the diamond is special and she will love it, and that's what matters the most. Ring is a friction of the price compared to the diamond. And you guys helped me find a really good one, much better than the one she liked on the store.

Sounds like you’re a happy customer!! Can’t wait to see hand shots!
Congratulations!! :mrgreen2:

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@ez-real, I hope that we didn't scare you off! I have thought a lot about @mrs-b's post over the last couple of months and I feel really badly if we made you feel pressured or like your wishes were ignored. People here really love helping others out and I really hope that your girlfriend (now fiance, I hope) loved the ring. Did you propose in September like you planned?

ez-real

Rough_Rock
Sorry that I kept you waiting, I proposed two weeks ago in Iceland and she obviously said yes :)
She is very happy with it and so am I! The diamond sparkles in all lights (sun light, room light and even in darker lighting), I am pretty sure it's a great quality diamond (the certificate says so at least!)

That's the picture I have from the proposal but I will try and get a better quality from closer and post it later.

upload_2018-10-3_17-21-52.png

Thanks again for all the support, this ring would never have happened without your help!

jbake

Brilliant_Rock
It looks lovely! Congratulations!

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you for coming back with the photos. Congratulations on your engagement and on a very beautiful ring! What does she think of the setting?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay! It looks great! Congratulations!

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! This is the beginning of a long and lovely ride through the rest of your lives together!!

Thanks for coming back to show us the ring. More pics are always welcome. If you like. :roll

ez-real

Rough_Rock
She loves the setting. The ring is a tiny bit big on her so the diamond moves to the left or right of the finger when she puts her hands in pocket for example. But it is tight enough that it cannot fall off the finger. Is there a way to fix it?

Golden_bird

Shiny_Rock
Premium
She loves the setting. The ring is a tiny bit big on her so the diamond moves to the left or right of the finger when she puts her hands in pocket for example. But it is tight enough that it cannot fall off the finger. Is there a way to fix it?
You can put a sizing beads inside so you don’t cut the rung esp with pave to make it smaller ,plus , after you add wedding band ,it will sit tighter ! Plus changing seasons ,future pregnancies...your ring size work change around 0.5 so I would not cut a ring for such a little size difference

Golden_bird

Shiny_Rock
Premium
And if you don’t mind , can you link the diamond you chose ? It looks spectacular!!

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

What a beautiful outcome on the ring and congratulations on your engagement!! If the ring is fairly close to the right size and secure, you can look into adding sizing beads to help with the spinning.

35A6D7F4-FEE0-46D3-A2F5-A7E66F06C1AD.jpeg

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Beautiful, congratulations on your engagement!

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
it is STUNNING! The setting was a great move, the 2.5mm band looks really good on her.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful!!! Congratulations...lovely ring!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results