shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me design a diamond pendant with a CS halo please!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Posting in CS since I need help with CS design elements please!

There is a bright 1.46 ct "earth-mined" RBC that the experts on Rocky Talky helped me conclude was only suitable for a pendant. It's very bright but not a lot of contrast and not much visual interest for a ring (and spouse is not looking for a bigger e-ring). It has a very shallow crown and deep pavilion and faces up a little larger than an ideal-cut at ~ 7.5mm. It looks pretty to my diamond-naive eye.

Here is a representative ASET image from the other thread:

1.46-1.jpg

When I search (and search) for diamond pendants, I don't find much that is interesting and wearable (I mean apart from the lavish Edwardian stuff that is really not suitable for a single focal-point diamond).

The old classic stuff looks like this, which is too plain, I fear; plus, this stone is not big enough to be a show-stopper on its own:

Screen Shot 2023-02-27 at 10.35.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-03-01 at 11.30.31 PM.png

I would love a compact, well-made CS halo in platinum but I see so few examples of this and I can not tell why. There are zillions of CS pendants with diamond halos but almost no examples of diamonds with CS halos. I need to go to rings for inspo and I like either a halo of round-cut blue sapphires or a target-type (not Target-type) ring with calibre-cut sapphires. I'm not 100% sure that sapphire is the way to go. I think I would want this to slide on a simple chain with a bail.

Here are two that I like for a diamond pendant. I think the dark background one is Lang. I assume this kind of construction is a lot spendier and involves custom-cut stones as opposed to just round standard mm-sized melee.

Screen Shot 2023-02-28 at 10.54.38 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-02-28 at 10.54.06 PM.png

Any fun ideas or inspo photos from your own collections for a CS halo pendant around a ~ 1.5-ct diamond RBC? Not even wedded to blue sapphire, but I would want it to be something versatile, color-wise. I don't see her doing red, yellow, or rainbow/multicolor but almost any other color could be nice. I guess even colored diamonds if they are small enough and affordable enough. Thank you!

voce

Ideal_Rock
I think if you do a halo with smaller melee stones, it will negate your criteria of compact. Why not get a similar size round blue sapphire to dangle beneath the diamond there?

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
How does your wife feel about floral designs?

I'm no fan of halos, but this ring is the one exception:

15967130-71ed-40a1-b41c-6c5066ca7c45-jpeg.732935

It belongs to Rfisher.

And this one is similar, but with smaller melee, it was shared as an inspo in another thread recently:

screen-shot-2023-02-26-at-10-23-08-pm-png.925731

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about a double halo, first one with CS then the outer one with diamonds?

Could even be made bigger by have air gaps.

DK :))

I was just going to come here and suggest a floral-y cluster.

I saw this on Pinterest and I absolutely love it - I’m imagining a colour swapped version of this:

FCBFAD09-A9CD-4EB7-99D8-7330F148B914.jpeg

So your central diamond goes where the blue sapphire is, the floral cluster gets made of whatever stone you prefer (blue sapphires would look lovely!) and then the shape can be highlighted with a thin halo of white diamond melee, in the place of the calibre cut sapphires here.

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

There is a bright 1.46 ct "earth-mined" RBC that the experts on Rocky Talky helped me conclude was only suitable for a pendant. It's very bright but not a lot of contrast and not much visual interest for a ring (and spouse is not looking for a bigger e-ring). It has a very shallow crown and deep pavilion and faces up a little larger than an ideal-cut at ~ 7.5mm. It looks pretty to my diamond-naive eye.

1.46-1.jpg

When I search (and search) for diamond pendants, I don't find much that is interesting and wearable (I mean apart from the lavish Edwardian stuff that is really not suitable for a single focal-point diamond).

The old classic stuff looks like this, which is too plain, I fear; plus, this stone is not big enough to be a show-stopper on its own:

I would love a compact, well-made CS halo in platinum but I see so few examples of this and I can not tell why. There are zillions of CS pendants with diamond halos but almost no examples of diamonds with CS halos. I need to go to rings for inspo and I like either a halo of round-cut blue sapphires or a target-type (not Target-type) ring with calibre-cut sapphires. I'm not 100% sure that sapphire is the way to go. I think I would want this to slide on a simple chain with a bail.

Here are two that I like for a diamond pendant. I think the dark background one is Lang. I assume this kind of construction is a lot spendier and involves custom-cut stones as opposed to just round standard mm-sized melee.

Any fun ideas or inspo photos from your own collections for a CS halo pendant around a ~ 1.5-ct diamond RBC? Not even wedded to blue sapphire, but I would want it to be something versatile, color-wise. I don't see her doing red, yellow, or rainbow/multicolor but almost any other color could be nice. I guess even colored diamonds if they are small enough and affordable enough. Thank you!

Personally, I love the floral examples given by Avondale & AllAboardTheBlingTrain!

Does your wife like floral?

Similar to the target rings you posted above, DK made me this diamond & sapphire ring. Center is Asscher, not RBC, but I’m sure he can adapt to your stone/pendant!
5E0CB382-BCD9-4F4E-8C75-3B088673304F.jpeg

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have this double halo saved as ring inspo, but something like this with CS of your choice could work as a pendant too. It could be a more compact design with smaller diamond melee used in the outer halo, while still adding to the diamond sparkle of the piece.
5435D33D-2254-4E66-B00B-C63F28DE27BF.jpeg
97E3648F-3B64-4136-A8B8-5672BA7399EC.jpeg
5DCCFD02-93B9-4990-82AC-C6E0F199615F.jpeg

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the feedback and suggestions, @2Neezers, @Eli22, @AllAboardTheBlingTrain, @dk168, @Avondale, and @voce!

I'm thinking something more tailored-looking than floral -- more like the Deco or Deco-inspired target rings. I'm just amazed that there seem to be almost none of them out there in pendant form whereas there are endless varieties of colored-stone pendants with diamond halos.

I will have her scroll through this thread and see what catches her eye!

Why not get a similar size round blue sapphire to dangle beneath the diamond there?

Hahahaha! That's all I need -- a fresh search for a killer sapphire! I'm not a huge fan of round-cut colored stones, either (although there are many, many that I have seen and loved -- but I would not be making that kind of investment here; the diamond is a sunk cost, having been sunk many decades ago). Plus, I can't quite picture how to do a two-stone pendant. I guess it could be a pear sapphire drop swinging freely beneath a bezel-set diamond.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for the feedback and suggestions, @2Neezers, @Eli22, @AllAboardTheBlingTrain, @dk168, @Avondale, and @voce!

I'm thinking something more tailored-looking than floral -- more like the Deco or Deco-inspired target rings. I'm just amazed that there seem to be almost none of them out there in pendant form whereas there are endless varieties of colored-stone pendants with diamond halos.

I will have her scroll through this thread and see what catches her eye!

Hahahaha! That's all I need -- a fresh search for a killer sapphire! I'm not a huge fan of round-cut colored stones, either (although there are many, many that I have seen and loved -- but I would not be making that kind of investment here; the diamond is a sunk cost, having been sunk many decades ago). Plus, I can't quite picture how to do a two-stone pendant. I guess it could be a pear sapphire drop swinging freely beneath a bezel-set diamond.

I think that getting custom cut sapphires for a target ring or doing a double halo would cost just as much as a larger sapphire, which is much simpler to set. Not sure a single halo with smaller sapphires would really satisfy you lol. Instead of a pear sapphire swing beneath a bezel diamond, I think the pendant shape would be far more elegant and eye-catching if the diamond swings underneath a sapphire instead. I hope a picture is worth a thousand words, even a bad picture. I can't really draw chainlink.
PXL_20230303_054118709.jpg

1.46-1.jpg

Ohhh I really like the second octagonal design with channel set sapphire baguettes and milgrain detail.
jitteryfooguy.gif

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, I think I am definitely leaning toward a Deco target-style surround for the pendant -- either a square cushion outline or an octagonal/cut-corner square like these (first two look very similar but appear to be different diamonds and center bezels):

Screen Shot 2023-03-08 at 10.57.52 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-03-08 at 10.59.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-03-08 at 11.00.33 PM.png

These are all French-cuts which are a little spendier than step cuts.

I think I like the sparkle of the French cuts. Plus, in some contexts, step cuts in this lay-out can look like they need orthodontia (like when the tables do not all reflect light at the same time). Any experts have a strong preference?

Unsurprisingly, this would be a surprisingly expensive undertaking. :lol-2: I feel it needs to be done "right" or not at all. A conventional halo with round-cuts would be a piece of cake in comparison. Anyone think this would look ridiculous as a pendant?

Plus, in some contexts, step cuts in this lay-out can look like they need orthodontia (like when the tables do not all reflect light at the same time).

lol! You have a gift for putting things into words. :lol-2: Sometimes tapered baguettes, for instance, can absolutely look like crooked teeth, if done incorrectly. You kill me.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I don't think this would work as a SLIDER pendant, but it will definitely work otherwise.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I really like a round center, set in a square cushion outline, but turned 1/4 turn like this mock-up I have saved for a future pendant. I think something similar could work with calibre cut sapphires instead of engraving surrounding the center.
I think your pendant will look amazing with any of the options you’re considering!
0FB519A9-FCB7-4218-BCAA-F0441856868B.jpeg

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think this would work as a SLIDER pendant

Why no slider? I see Deco with bales and with chain attached -- just makes it more versatile for whomever.

What about calibre cut and a metal halo in the octagon/cushion shape?

I can really see that with that ring! I'm shooting for less metal and more sapphire but we'll see how it pencils out, budget-wise!

square cushion outline, but turned 1/4 turn like this mock-up I have saved for a future pendant.

Yes, you and @Starstruck8 may be on to something! If it were a square cushion, is it less Deco-looking like that? Your example looks pretty sweet!

And, of course, if it's octagonal and I rotate it 45 or 90 degrees, it's still well you know...

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OK, I think I am definitely leaning toward a Deco target-style surround for the pendant -- either a square cushion outline or an octagonal/cut-corner square like these (first two look very similar but appear to be different diamonds and center bezels):

Screen Shot 2023-03-08 at 10.57.52 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-03-08 at 10.59.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-03-08 at 11.00.33 PM.png

These are all French-cuts which are a little spendier than step cuts.

I think I like the sparkle of the French cuts. Plus, in some contexts, step cuts in this lay-out can look like they need orthodontia (like when the tables do not all reflect light at the same time). Any experts have a strong preference?

Unsurprisingly, this would be a surprisingly expensive undertaking. :lol-2: I feel it needs to be done "right" or not at all. A conventional halo with round-cuts would be a piece of cake in comparison. Anyone think this would look ridiculous as a pendant?

Not ridiculous at all! I tried turning my ring into a pendant…hope this visual helps!
DFB8F057-CAF1-4D72-AF43-354427219EA8.jpeg

voce

Ideal_Rock
Why no slider? I see Deco with bales and with chain attached -- just makes it more versatile for whomever.

I can really see that with that ring! I'm shooting for less metal and more sapphire but we'll see how it pencils out, budget-wise!

Yes, you and @Starstruck8 may be on to something! If it were a square cushion, is it less Deco-looking like that? Your example looks pretty sweet!

And, of course, if it's octagonal and I rotate it 45 or 90 degrees, it's still well you know...

Why no slider? It has to do with three-dimensional torque and the height of the pendant. Assuming your diamond is pretty sizeable, it will sit tilted, not flat, on her chest, and depending on the slope on her chest (mine is certainly nowhere near to flat), a slider would be prone to flipping over. I've made this mistake before...

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
...depending on the slope on her chest (mine is certainly nowhere near to flat), a slider would be prone to flipping over. I've made this mistake before...

I guess that's a good point. She is an IG model and cam girl and this was on her "wish list"...

No, it will be on a short chain so the local topography should not be too much of a factor. Is it better to attach the chain directly? This should not be too floppy -- I am targeting ~ 15x15 mm and it is only ~ 5 mm deep. I'd worry more if it were just a bezel-set diamond on a jump ring + loop but I'm not 100% sure what to think.

voce

Ideal_Rock
By the height of the pendant, I'm talking about how the rounded metal space beneath the gems in your pendant adds to the depth (I've yet to see a slider not constructed that way) beneath the gem. If your diamond is 5mm, and the chain you're wearing it on is 2mm, the jeweler might add 3mm of space so the final depth is 9-10mm, 5mm for the gems and 3mm space allowance underneath to allow the chain through, and 1-2mm again for the metal thickness to enclose the 3mm space.

Honestly, given that your face-up area is 15x15, not say 6x6, which is the typical slider pendant size, in the perpendicular plane the chain will be "applying force against gravity" at an angle and a significant distance away from the center of mass, and you can bet that the larger mass compared to a simple solitaire and the larger distance from center of mass will generate a much larger torque, so that the slightest movement where the pendant is not resting flush against skin, it flips over and displays its back side instead of the gorgeous top side, for instance when your wife leans over to pick up something dropped accidentally on the floor.

There are mitigating designs, for instance when you add the sliding element as a curved metal underneath only the top part of the pendant, but then considering the varying degrees of slope on a woman's chest, it's hard to get that just right, and if done improperly, the top part could end up resting more forward so that the gems tilt down and will not reflect light in the ideal manner. You could be very mindful to make sure it gets made right, but I'd personally rather not take the risk and additional hassle of communicating these concerns to the jeweler and go with a different design I wouldn't have to worry about going awry.

In my personal opinion, the pendant would be better if it was attached to the chain with a couple of small loops placed on either side. Here's an inspiration pic. Screenshot_20230311-062036.png

Here's my badly illustrated explanation of the torque.
PXL_20230311_143853893.jpg

Last edited:
I guess that's a good point. She is an IG model and cam girl and this was on her "wish list"...

No, it will be on a short chain so the local topography should not be too much of a factor. Is it better to attach the chain directly? This should not be too floppy -- I am targeting ~ 15x15 mm and it is only ~ 5 mm deep. I'd worry more if it were just a bezel-set diamond on a jump ring + loop but I'm not 100% sure what to think.

You’ll be fine if it’s fixed to a chain with bunny ears or directly to the chain and short. My diamond pendant is about 1.5ct (I can’t remember the depth, but I guess around 4.5mm?) and has a basket (so the culet doesn’t touch my skin) and is on a short chain (around 15in I think) and it’s totally fine.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's my badly illustrated explanation of the torque.

Ah, I see -- that you so much for the visual aids! I may be using the word "slider" wrong. I was thinking of a bale that was not a loop but rather was an inverted triangle with a "tunnel" at the top for the chain and a bezel-set trapezoidal step-cut sapphire facing out. So there is nothing sticking out on the back of the pendant -- it is just kind of "Chiclet"-shaped and -sized almost like a big charm.

Also, we would target a slightly thicker and less flexible chain so it would not twist on such small radius. She has a larger tourmaline pendant that is on a (maybe) 2mm round (cross-section) snake chain and that does not move at all.

Working with Inken on how feasible/practical this all is. If I did not have the diamond in hand that is really only well-suited to a pendant, this would not be my "blank sheet of paper" project!

...bunny ears...and is on a short chain

Yes, that's the word I was looking for for the alternative! This would be like a 16" chain, I think. I see that used a lot for Deco but the chains seem super-delicate. I would almost rather have it slide on a chain that would not hang to a sharp "V" but would keep some radius on either side of the bale.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK I guess this is just my Pinterest page but I finally did see a diamond pendant with calibre-cut sapphire halo from Kwiat. Not sure how good an outfit that is and I am targeting a much lower diamond:sapphire ratio. But one must inquire for pricing so I infer it is no Ross-Simons. :mrgreen2: This has the "bunny ears" model of chain attachment.

Screen Shot 2023-03-11 at 6.17.17 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-03-11 at 6.17.31 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-03-11 at 6.17.44 PM.png

And here's a version with a double halo that would not be what I'm after:

Screen Shot 2023-03-11 at 6.21.36 PM.png

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blank sheet of paper idea: turn this into a Feature clasp, attach it to a pearl strand. Wear it both ways: clasp at the front, or clasp at the back.

OMG, @emmy12, that is a brilliant idea (once again)! Coincidentally, we have some not-at-all @yssie-grade pearls that no one knows what to do with. This is a great idea.

But: the clasp would outshine/outvalue the pearls five- or ten-fold and it reduces the wearability a lot, imo. That style of necklace would look great on her but I fear it would sit in its case, whereas the other she would hike with, etc. (Yes, a reasonable person would of course ask her -- and I will -- but I'm pretty sure she thinks the whole enterprise is a little nutty. She's mostly my "jewelry avatar." :mrgreen2:)

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results