shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me decide on a re-set for my POH/ Quadex style square radiant

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
20191113_102818 (2).jpg 20191113_103022.jpg 20191113_103447.jpg 20191113_152735.jpg 20191113_152832.jpg

I have had this ring for a couple of years and wear it as a RHR. Whilst I love the stone and its performance the ring overall is not giving me the bling hit that I'm craving. I have recently wondered whether elongated shapes are more pleasing on my finger. I did think about selling it completely but I can't bring myself to part with the diamond. Ive been vascillating on it for a while, but then the lovely @Ibrakeforpossums :wavey: spurred me on to start thinking seriously about a new setting for it.

With the double claws around the diamond it gives it a cushion shaped look from a wearing distance rather than a cut cornered square. So I could like to emphasise the shape more, and also "big up" the look. Its ironic, I was really excited to get such nicely done double claws, but if I had gone for larger single rounded bead prongs they would possibly have "squared out" the corners and made the outline look more square (and possibly bigger as a result?)

One option is a bright cut halo with or without the split shank, but before I go down that route I wanted to see what else might give me more finger coverage and keep the square shape obvious.

I did wonder about 2 smaller diamonds of the same cut (maybe from Blue Nile) to make a 3 stone ring but I cant quite envisage how it would look and whether it would give me the extra finger coverage and impact. I also am not sure if it would just end up looking like a 3 stone cushion ring from a distance.

The specs are:

1.17ct G VVS2. 5.96 x 5.95mm

Here is the original SMTB thread:

I did wonder about pears on the sides although Im not sure if it would work.

Im open to some more elaborate designs as well. I love deco and I prefer clean lines. I also prefer settings that can take ultrasonic cleaning as well, although that would likely be a problem with a lot of halo settings. Plus it needs to be different enough to my other rings and not compete with my 1.5ct rb solitaire engagement ring. (No wonder its taking forever to come up with a plan for a new setting :lol: )

If anyone has any ideas, examples or other styles of ring with this shape of centre diamond I would love to hear them and see images too.

Attachments

• 20191113_105502.jpg
    20191113_105502.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 5

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh gosh, I have always loved this ring! I hate to even make a suggestion for a change because I think its really beautiful!

I love that one that @Ibrakeforpossums posted...I was also looking for art deco and found this one...may compete with your RB though.

snip1.png

Lakefront

Shiny_Rock
I do think a three stone would blend the cut corners and look more like cushions. I love post #3!

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
I’m following with great interest. My POH solitaire was in the shop (for a missing pave stone on the band) and we learned it’s too damaged to continue wearing. So, I’m trying to decide on a new setting, too!

I’ve always felt the cut is so special I didn’t want it covered too much. We had looked at an Art Deco piece when it was first set, but decided on a simpler setting.

With that said, the second piece you showed is beautiful and keeps the emphasis on the center stone in a beautiful way. And the French cut setting is amazing. How are you going to decide?

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
I think diamondhoarder will take some time for deliberation, but when she publishes her decision we'l be amazed.
bright& shiny, keep us in the loop with your project! Two similar cuts being reset - wow! Send photos at whatever stage you're in.

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I do think a three stone would blend the cut corners and look more like cushions. I love post #3!

I wonder whether something like this would work if I went thr 3 stone route? I've never had a bezel setting, I'm always worried it might block some of the light return but this stone is ideal cut so that may be less of a concern. Im not sure if the corners of my stone are more exaggerated than these asschers though, so it might not look as good.

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh gosh, I have always loved this ring! I hate to even make a suggestion for a change because I think its really beautiful!

I love that one that @Ibrakeforpossums posted...I was also looking for art deco and found this one...may compete with your RB though.

snip1.png

And this =)2

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m following with great interest. My POH solitaire was in the shop (for a missing pave stone on the band) and we learned it’s too damaged to continue wearing. So, I’m trying to decide on a new setting, too!

I’ve always felt the cut is so special I didn’t want it covered too much. We had looked at an Art Deco piece when it was first set, but decided on a simpler setting.

With that said, the second piece you showed is beautiful and keeps the emphasis on the center stone in a beautiful way. And the French cut setting is amazing. How are you going to decide?

Oooh, another fan of POH radiants - congrats on your excellent taste! :D What size is your POH? Can we see some pics? How did you feel about your old setting and how well it showcased your stone?

I've no idea how I'm going to decide. I normally have to mull over these things for a long time, and search up every available photo under the sun, plus making scale models, sketches and generally being a total nerd about the whole thing. And then finally, by a process of osmosis, I eventually realise I know what I want.

I dont always get it right either - I ended up re-setting my PrinceCut twice before I was happy with the result :wall: :wall: :roll:

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have toyed with the idea of modifying my current ring and keeping the rose gold split shank. I dont know if it would be possible to add a bezel to the current setting or whether it would have to be completely re-made. I was playing with the editing function on my phone and created this image to try and see whether a bezel would achieve my aims:
20220220_225257.jpg
I'm not sure how much extra "size appearance" this would add in mm. Theres a balance between adding a bit of extra definition and dimension, and ending up with a really chunky bezel which overwhelms the stone.

Here is a rough idea of how it would look to add a platinum halo to the existing ring:
20220220_230112.jpg

I found some pics of actual POH halos, some of these look more octagonal and less cushiony than my rough attempt above.

06275_front_1800x1800.jpg 26933-18W_front.png
FM-PHR32XP.jpg FMR-PHR58XP.jpg
FMR1110-copy.jpg
Ideal2-i2-xp-ring.jpg i2-xp-group-rings-1024x795.jpg
And here are some other designs that show other non-POH octagonal shapes:
Engagement-Ring-Modern-1.23-Round-Brilliant-Cut-Diamond-1.22-French-Cut-Sapphires-in-Platinum-...jpg Flanders-Promise-Diamond-Ring-6b.gif Flanders-Promise-Diamond-Ring-11.gif s-l1600ab1.jpg

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
I have toyed with the idea of modifying my current ring and keeping the rose gold split shank. I dont know if it would be possible to add a bezel to the current setting or whether it would have to be completely re-made. I was playing with the editing function on my phone and created this image to try and see whether a bezel would achieve my aims:
20220220_225257.jpg
I'm not sure how much extra "size appearance" this would add in mm. Theres a balance between adding a bit of extra definition and dimension, and ending up with a really chunky bezel which overwhelms the stone.

Here is a rough idea of how it would look to add a platinum halo to the existing ring:
20220220_230112.jpg

I found some pics of actual POH halos, some of these look more octagonal and less cushiony than my rough attempt above.

FMR1110-copy.jpg
Engagement-Ring-Modern-1.23-Round-Brilliant-Cut-Diamond-1.22-French-Cut-Sapphires-in-Platinum-...jpg Flanders-Promise-Diamond-Ring-6b.gif Flanders-Promise-Diamond-Ring-11.gif s-l1600ab1.jpg

I really dig the sapphire halo! Very similar to the ring @tyty333 posted, which I think is my favorite.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock

snip1.png

tyty333, where did you find this? It's gorgeous!
20220220_225257.jpg

20220220_230112.jpg

FMR1110-copy.jpg

Can you put your ring as it is now next to the bezel shot?
I never liked bezels until I had some crummy moissys made into a beveled cuff ring. It will add size and impact. And a very classical look.
Nothing is going to overwhelm or diminish the sparkle of that diamond.

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
tyty333, where did you find this? It's gorgeous!

Can you put your ring as it is now next to the bezel shot?
I never liked bezels until I had some crummy moissys made into a beveled cuff ring. It will add size and impact. And a very classical look.
Nothing is going to overwhelm or diminish the sparkle of that diamond.

20220220_225257.jpg 20191113_103447.jpg

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Im also open to the idea of something much more elaborate that could be a bit of a statement ring for my middle finger right hand. I quite like the idea of fancy shapes at the NSEW positions in the halo.

99a51dd1-24a9-4538-83a3-c1a2cfc3fc03.png 1646497359790.png

1646497591884.png 1646497747009.png

I especially love the 1st of these 4 with the trilliant diamonds and double halo. These designs all feature the fancy cut diamonds in a bezel, but because my stone is only just under 6mm square I wonder whether once the design is scaled down to fit the proportions of my stone, the fancy shapes inside their bezels would be too tiny to really add much sparkle? I suspect that all of the centre stones in these 4 examples are quite a bit larger than my POH.

Does anyone have a setting like this with a 6mm diamond?

Im also interested in a design that might work setting my stone in a kite orientation. I havent found a design that really grabs me yet, mainly because Im not sure how the cut corners should be handled - I'm more used to seeing pointed corners in kite settings.

Here are couple that would need to be modified (although not sure how) Any thoughts and suggestions gratefully welcomed.......

1646498387572.png
1646498507163.png

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the idea of a bezel for this shape. I almost purchased a diamond like this from JA (they pop up occasionally), and was going to do a bezel style by DK. Another way to add size would be an engraved bezel (so almost a halo, but with engraved metal instead of stones). Dk has a ton of lovely examples of that style on IG.

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love the idea of a bezel for this shape. I almost purchased a diamond like this from JA (they pop up occasionally), and was going to do a bezel style by DK. Another way to add size would be an engraved bezel (so almost a halo, but with engraved metal instead of stones). Dk has a ton of lovely examples of that style on IG.

Oooh thanks for that - I will check out his IG now.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooh thanks for that - I will check out his IG now.

Btw, this is the type of thing I was imagining (but in a square to emphasize the cool shape of your stone)

This necklace is a good example:

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
@diamondhoarder - LOL. We do have good taste ;)2. We were originally looking for an ascher cut, but found nothing at all near us. We found PS, @Rhino (then at Good Old Gold), went to NY, and that was it. He showed us a number of beautiful stones... but after we weren't thrilled, he showed us the POH. That was thrilling!

The stone is 1.32 ct - AGS Cut 0. It's amazing! 7.34 X 6.34 X 4.40 mm

The setting was intentionally minimal - one because gold was so expensive at the time (now I'm laughing at what we thought was expensive - lol), and because I really wanted the stone to be the star. And so it was! It is a Gabriel setting (I think called Aran?) super thin YG, pave, with a large platinum head. A stone fell out - and then we learned the basket had been 'eaten' by the diamond eternity band in the pics below. I've loved it for the past 12 years - and am sad it is damaged beyond repair...

I posted looking for the advice on resetting and it has the missing stone damage photo. Here's the link : Reset post
The eternity band is also being rehabbed.

I selected another simple setting, as we hope to upgrade in a few years, so if it's not exactly right, I can live with it until the upgrade. The new setting is A Jaffe ME2255Q. I can't find it listed anywhere, but I have photos from the jeweler - it does exist lol. I'll post that below, too. It will also have a platinum head - and I'll wear the current wedding band between that and the eternity ring...unless I find a space band that I like better.... :)

Left side is the wedding stack: eternity band, wedding band, and engagement ring from top to bottom.

IMG_0180.jpeg

Here's a close up with my 'N'ice pendant
IMG_6889.jpeg

Here's an image of how the basket was cut away by the diamonds in the eternity band:

IMG_6915.jpeg

Here are pics of the new setting

tempImagexFVBJg.png tempImage3ZqIQB.png tempImageeS3h8f.png

I love your ideas - and wish I had the patience you do for mocking up etc.... Whatever you decide, it's going to be beautiful!

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@diamondhoarder - LOL. We do have good taste ;)2. We were originally looking for an ascher cut, but found nothing at all near us. We found PS, @Rhino (then at Good Old Gold), went to NY, and that was it. He showed us a number of beautiful stones... but after we weren't thrilled, he showed us the POH. That was thrilling!

The stone is 1.32 ct - AGS Cut 0. It's amazing! 7.34 X 6.34 X 4.40 mm

The setting was intentionally minimal - one because gold was so expensive at the time (now I'm laughing at what we thought was expensive - lol), and because I really wanted the stone to be the star. And so it was! It is a Gabriel setting (I think called Aran?) super thin YG, pave, with a large platinum head. A stone fell out - and then we learned the basket had been 'eaten' by the diamond eternity band in the pics below. I've loved it for the past 12 years - and am sad it is damaged beyond repair...

I posted looking for the advice on resetting and it has the missing stone damage photo. Here's the link : Reset post
The eternity band is also being rehabbed.

I selected another simple setting, as we hope to upgrade in a few years, so if it's not exactly right, I can live with it until the upgrade. The new setting is A Jaffe ME2255Q. I can't find it listed anywhere, but I have photos from the jeweler - it does exist lol. I'll post that below, too. It will also have a platinum head - and I'll wear the current wedding band between that and the eternity ring...unless I find a space band that I like better.... :)

Left side is the wedding stack: eternity band, wedding band, and engagement ring from top to bottom.

IMG_0180.jpeg

Here's a close up with my 'N'ice pendant
IMG_6889.jpeg

Here's an image of how the basket was cut away by the diamonds in the eternity band:

IMG_6915.jpeg

Here are pics of the new setting

tempImagexFVBJg.png tempImage3ZqIQB.png tempImageeS3h8f.png

I love your ideas - and wish I had the patience you do for mocking up etc.... Whatever you decide, it's going to be beautiful!

Oh wow, your stone is absolutely stunning! You can't not love this cut, it really is special. I see where your eternity ring ate into your setting in the pics. And that is a really pretty setting you have chosen for the new ring. Will you post pics of the finished ring once its all done? I cant wait to see it.

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
Oh wow, your stone is absolutely stunning! You can't not love this cut, it really is special. I see where your eternity ring ate into your setting in the pics. And that is a really pretty setting you have chosen for the new ring. Will you post pics of the finished ring once its all done? I cant wait to see it.

I will - they are going to send me pics from Jaffe with what the platinum head looks like before shipping. I'm a YG girl and want to keep the plat to a minimum. It won't be ready until April some time....so I'll live vicariously through your process, if that's ok :)

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I will - they are going to send me pics from Jaffe with what the platinum head looks like before shipping. I'm a YG girl and want to keep the plat to a minimum. It won't be ready until April some time....so I'll live vicariously through your process, if that's ok :)

Thats fine, but dont expect any quick results - I'm a massive procrastinator! :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results