shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me decide on a re-set for my POH/ Quadex style square radiant

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
Glad to hear I have been a bad influence on another PS'er :D
;)2 Can we see pics of your ring please? what ideas did you entertain about settings before you decided on yours?

Hahah...I love all of your collection! It is a simple 4 prongs no frill settings. I have not decided how to set it yet since I am now busy with my other colored lab diamonds projects. =)2

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock

The bezel photo looks dramatically bigger to me. Even Mr. Car Parts saw it right away.

From Frank Darling's website:" Rarely discussed, but, definitely a perk of the bezel — it makes your diamond look bigger. More than a little bit. The bezel metal adds about half a millimeter to the diameter of your diamond. That makes a 1 carat diamond look more like a 1.25 carat."
A bezel the right size, not too thick, not too thin and just catching the girdle, that highly polished metal around a spectacular diamond, OMG.
If it were me, I would look at everything else first for months but this is what I would eventually do with your amazing diamond.
With my Nice Ice Asscher I went with Daniel M (who I just adore) because with the trellis I could see it from the side and I've never had an E color before, AND because I could afford argentium silver. If Frank Darling would set outside diamonds, i would have gone that route. Your diamond and mine are pretty much the same size.
Is this big on your hand? I see air on both sides, esp. the right.

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The bezel photo looks dramatically bigger to me. Even Mr. Car Parts saw it right away.

From Frank Darling's website:" Rarely discussed, but, definitely a perk of the bezel — it makes your diamond look bigger. More than a little bit. The bezel metal adds about half a millimeter to the diameter of your diamond. That makes a 1 carat diamond look more like a 1.25 carat."
A bezel the right size, not too thick, not too thin and just catching the girdle, that highly polished metal around a spectacular diamond, OMG.
If it were me, I would look at everything else first for months but this is what I would eventually do with your amazing diamond.
With my Nice Ice Asscher I went with Daniel M (who I just adore) because with the trellis I could see it from the side and I've never had an E color before, AND because I could afford argentium silver. If Frank Darling would set outside diamonds, i would have gone that route. Your diamond and mine are pretty much the same size.
Is this big on your hand? I see air on both sides, esp. the right.

I do agree that the bezel makes it look bigger. And I also think it defines the shape more. It may even be able to be added to my existing ring without a complete re-make.

My fear is going to all the effort and expenditure of making the change and then finding that it hasnt properly scratched the itch for extra size. :confused: Clearly much more procrastination is called for.......

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
I do agree that the bezel makes it look bigger. And I also think it defines the shape more. It may even be able to be added to my existing ring without a complete re-make.

My fear is going to all the effort and expenditure of making the change and then finding that it hasnt properly scratched the itch for extra size. :confused: Clearly much more procrastination is called for.......

Lol - I’m having the itch for an upgrade too, but it’s not in the cards for awhile. Plus, I have absolutely NO idea what I want next, so this is a placeholder. And so I’m ok with simple option. It causes me less stress and consternation and anxiety in the short run. But there’s no doubt, I’ll be a indecisive mess when the upgrade process begins!

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock

Much more thought and deliberation, some decisions are made outside the conscious mind. You wake up and go, "That's it!"
I hope I didn't sound pushy! I just learned what I published about bezels a few months ago and I wanted to share it.

Bezel cuff ring with two bad gray/green/yellow moissys, ring by Daniel M. They were earrings and they look so much bigger set this way. (Bigger but not better quality.)
Below them, "Feather" the cheap brown diamond and my .40 pt. S-T radiant. My yardwork rings.

3.5.22 014.jpg

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Much more thought and deliberation, some decisions are made outside the conscious mind. You wake up and go, "That's it!"
I hope I didn't sound pushy! I just learned what I published about bezels a few months ago and I wanted to share it.

Bezel cuff ring with two bad gray/green/yellow moissys, ring by Daniel M. They were earrings and they look so much bigger set this way. (Bigger but not better quality.)
Below them, "Feather" the cheap brown diamond and my .40 pt. S-T radiant. My yardwork rings.

3.5.22 014.jpg

Wow, you have quite a collection! I need a yard work collection of my own :D And the bezel cuff ring does have some nice presence doesnt it?

You do not sound pushy at all - I'm really appreciating all the suggestions, especially the bezel ideas =)2

With any luck this thread may collect another few hundred design ideas for my shortlist - enough to keep me deliberating for most of 2022.......

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I thought I had finally decided to add a platinum diamond halo to my split shank ring like this:
20220220_230112.jpg

But then I was out shopping with my hubby supposedly looking for his birthday present and I saw this:

20220312_163558(3).jpg 20220312_163632.jpg

Now admittedly the centre stone in this is smaller than my radiant - the asscher is 0.55cts and my radiant is 1.17cts. But given that the asscher is bezelled I'm thinking that this probably adds a little to the size appearance of the centre stone. Im wondering if I went with a similar design but used small claw prongs instead of a bezel whether the whole thing would still look a lot bigger than this ring I tried on? I wouldnt want anything much bigger than this.

I've had a play around and attempted to re-size the pics to get a like for like comparison of the centre diamond size to my radiant. If anyone is a whizz at photoshop, could they add a slightly enlarged version of the double halo on the left to my centre stone on the right?

20220312_163606 (3).jpg 20220308_112612.jpg

I would also want to reduce the width of the outer halo so that it is more in proportion with the sapphire inner halo. What do you think - would it work with my stone? Or should I just buy this one I tried on....... :lol:

Attachments

• 20220312_163606.jpg
    20220312_163606.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 2

vetrik

Shiny_Rock
I recently reset my square radiant (mine is technically Ideal Square branded). I had it in a halo to increase finger coverage a bit. However, I’ve never really been a fan of halos, and although I did think it was beautiful, it never felt fully right to me. I always planned it as a temp setting while I figured out my ideal setting because I wanted mixed metals also.

I had it reset in a white gold bezel and rose gold shank with flush set diamonds. The bezel really emphasizes the shape and still allows it to look a little larger face up, but the simpler setting is more my style.

Old setting

77054801-D224-4610-A1E8-607D661F668E.jpeg

New setting

CB25B7D3-BF2D-421B-BA76-3D93DD38B1F1.jpeg

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recently reset my square radiant (mine is technically Ideal Square branded). I had it in a halo to increase finger coverage a bit. However, I’ve never really been a fan of halos, and although I did think it was beautiful, it never felt fully right to me. I always planned it as a temp setting while I figured out my ideal setting because I wanted mixed metals also.

I had it reset in a white gold bezel and rose gold shank with flush set diamonds. The bezel really emphasizes the shape and still allows it to look a little larger face up, but the simpler setting is more my style.

Old setting

New setting

Oh my goodness I LOVE your reset. It's such a perfect and sleek way to show off the lovely stone.

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Old setting

New setting

What a great re-set! The bezel definitely makes it look more sleek and emphasizes the lovely shape. Can we see hand shots? And a side profile?

The other thing I wondered about with a bezel is whether you notice any difference in the light performance now that the girdle is covered?

How much extra real estate in mm did your bezel add to your stone measurements? I had assumed a bezel might add 1 - 2mm or so but it would be great to hear what your actual experience has been with yours.

Last edited:

vetrik

Shiny_Rock
What a great re-set! The bezel definitely makes it look more sleek and emphasizes the lovely shape. Can we see hand shots? And a side profile?

The other thing I wondered about with a bezel is whether you notice any difference in the light performance now that the girdle is covered?

How much extra real estate in mm did your bezel add to your stone measurements? I had assumed a bezel might add 1 - 2mm or so but it would be great to hear what your actual experience has been with yours.

Thank you! I’ll post a couple more shots. I haven’t noticed a difference in light return at all, it’s still an incredibly sparkly fireball! You’ll see in the side shot that with my setting the stone is not fully enclosed by the bezel, so I don’t know if that helps.

My stone is smaller than yours (.91 carats, 5.5x5.5 mm), and the bezel adds a little under 1mm.

9BBA2A35-A71C-4974-9ECE-5394A42B5594.jpeg
9011F099-B4AA-4AEC-8DD6-D8B52E1D27DC.jpeg

ED433295-96A7-4E05-A546-CA729B44F1B7.jpeg

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you! I’ll post a couple more shots. I haven’t noticed a difference in light return at all, it’s still an incredibly sparkly fireball! You’ll see in the side shot that with my setting the stone is not fully enclosed by the bezel, so I don’t know if that helps.

My stone is smaller than yours (.91 carats, 5.5x5.5 mm), and the bezel adds a little under 1mm.

Thanks for the additional pics. =)2

With your bezel adding just under 1mm your stone is getting the look of closer to 1.5cts than 0.9cts so that's a huge win!

Thats a very elegant setting, and its great to hear that the bezel doesn't detract from the light return. You would hope that a bezel it wouldnt make much of a difference to light performance with an ideal cut stone like this. When compared with your previous setting this one has a more crisp look, with emphasis on clean lines which matches well with the design of your diamond. I like how your accent diamonds in the shank really pop against the rose gold too. You must be really pleased with it!

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
vetrik, I absolutely love your "new" ring!! That setting might be my new favorite. And no more furry prongs from a sweater.
You must have small hands because it looks perfect on you. Thanks for knocking my socks off!

AL12

Shiny_Rock
Just dropping by to comment that I completely understand your dilemma! I have a 1.01ct cut corner radiant, not a POH (would basically call it a Flanders cut) and I’ve been through the whole spectrum of how I can upgrade the setting. It’s not a RHR but my original e-ring from about 8 years ago and in a white gold skinny halo (see profile pic). I considered plating it yellow gold, considered turning it on its side (similar to one of the photos you posted) so that it looked like a diamond shape in the literal sense, and considered also adding side stones. Although I love it, the very square ratio for me personally didn’t give me much room to find an upgrade situation that I liked and I also realized that there is more room to be creative with a bit more elongated cut…But I am also very particular so there’s that.

Similar to you, I don’t want to sell my original ring… I don’t have the heart to release it due to the sentiment and the uniqueness of the stone which was found by the PS-ers here.

Ive completely changed gears and am saving up for an upgrade with completely new stones so I think my radiant will end up being a RHR like yours. I’ve casually considered toi et mois maybe with a pear (Diamond or rose cut) or flipping it on its side with small clustered diamonds on each side but by the time I get to that project I’m sure trends may have changed.

Anyway, will be following along to see what you end up with! Please let us know!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

Wow !
I love it
It is so different to how it looked before
:kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results