shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me choose!

My husband is upgrading my mini .4 carat. So far we have this stone on hold

https://www.ritani.com/diamonds/round-diamond-1-40-Carat-I-color-GIA-certified/D-06V2M5?search_key=D-06V2M5

but we are strongly considering paying the $1k more and getting this stone:

https://www.ritani.com/diamonds/round-diamond-1-50-Carat-I-color-GIA-certified/D-Q1HVVW

The 1.4 scores a 4.9 on HCA
The 1.5 scores a 1.9 on HCA

But both are graded as having excellent cuts by GIA and are both excellent in symmetry and polish. My only concern with the 1.5 is that it has a medium girdle. both stones are VS2.

Any help is appreciated. I want either 1.4 or over for around $8-9k.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi diamondnovicewannabe

Please don't proceed with that 1.4ct stone. Its stats are horrible - it's cut way too deep and its crown angle is going to affect its light return considerably. If these are your only 2 options, pay the extra $1k and get the 1.5. However, I think you can do better than this stone also. You really need to keep the crown angle below 35.5% and preferably between 34 and 35%, and a depth of 62.7% means you're needlessly sacrificing spread.

Are you still open to accepting some suggestions on this? You really can get something better.

If you are open to accepting suggestions, what's your budget and your required parameters?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you're willing to consider Blue Nile, here's a stone with way better stats. It's 1.42ct but has the exact same face up size as the 1.5ct stone you're considering. It has the same I VS2 stats and is also GIA triple Ex.

The kicker is, however, that it's exactly $1k cheaper than the 1.5ct Ritani stone, and even cheaper than the 1.4ct stone - by over $100. It scores 0.9 on the HCA.

Click on the link below.

www.bluenile.com

In the top right corner you will see a white box with the word 'Search' in it. Into that box, cut and paste the stock number for the stone, which is:

LD07499914

This will take you to the stone. There's no photos of it, but BN might be able to provide you with some. They'll definitely be able to confirm that it's eye clean.

Given its stats, it will be a far better performer than the 2 to which you linked. And it's cheaper to boot. It's a win/win.

I am looking at a few with excellent HCA scores.

Will that be a big different in color from an I with no Fluor.

Yes open to suggestions, please but I prefer Ritani for trade in purposes but will look into other vendors if it makes more economical sense.

Looking for Round brilliant. Color is not that important. My current stone is an "I" color and I never see color. I am not color sensitive but it is much tinier than what i am looking.

Prefer a VS2 or higher.

Cut must be ideal or very good. This is the most important, along with carat.

Looking for a 1.5 but of course, 1.4 will suffice if the face up is close enough.

Budget is $9k but prefer to stay around $8.5.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Are you trading in the .4 or planning for future upgrades?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results