shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me choose from these two diamonds!

puncho

Rough_Rock
Been researching a lot, I have a choice of these two diamonds...The color is slightly better on the left one but you can see more crystals. Obviously it won't be so blown up so not sure if the crystals will even matter.

Left one (1.02 carat):

Depth: 60.5
Table: 56.1
Crown angle: 34.0
Pavilion angle: 40.7
Girdle: Thin to medium faceted

Right one (1.1 carat):

Depth: 61.7
Table: 57.5
Crown angle: 34.4
Pavilion angle: 40.8
Girdle: Thin to slightly thick faceted

Does it matter if the girdle size of the right one is thicker?

image_4426.jpg
idealscope_37.jpg
aset_80.jpg
hearts_17.jpg

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would pick the left one, assuming it is eye clean
1. Higher color
2. Fatter arriws
3. Less light leakage
4. Nice depth (though its got less carat weight)
5. Smaller table

puncho

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the analysis! They're both eye clean. What do fatter arrows indicate?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Left.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
puncho|1465795005|4043467 said:
Thanks for the analysis! They're both eye clean. What do fatter arrows indicate?

This is personal. I like fat arrows that create clear contrast with surrounding white areas within a diamond.
Under a certain light condition (dark room + smartphone flashlight), it is those arrows that fire up and sizzle, giving off multi-color bold flashes. It is actually intoxicating and fun to see.

Between these two, the size difference in arrows is minimal and almost negligible. It is just a small detail I personally look for, that in reality, may not matter.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
flyingpig|1465804198|4043499 said:
This is personal. I like fat arrows that create clear contrast with surrounding white areas within a diamond.
Under a certain light condition (dark room + smartphone flashlight), it is those arrows that fire up and sizzle, giving off multi-color bold flashes. It is actually intoxicating and fun to see.

Between these two, the size difference in arrows is minimal and almost negligible. It is just a small detail I personally look for, that in reality, may not matter.

To expand a bit on what flyingpig has said:

The arrows are a functions of the lower girdle facet as they relate to the crown/pavilion angle relationships. Longer (skinnier) arrows typically denote the light performance will be direct with more pinfire and less contrast, while the shorter (fatter) arrows will increase the contract with more broad flashes of light.

It never hurts to examine the light performance of both types of MRB arrows patterns - some (as flyingpig has expressed) do prefer one type over the other.

puncho

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the detailed explanation! Interesting little things, these diamonds :)

puncho

Rough_Rock
Another question, why is the "hue" on the two different? The one on the right has more greyish/brownish undertones. I know the colors are different but I was looking at diamonds with the same color and they still look more brownish. Thanks!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do a search for hue on here.

puncho

Rough_Rock
I'm now contemplating taking the R one since it's bigger...the left one is an ACA and the right one is an expert selection. Is it that significant of a difference between the two? I know looking at the idealscope/ASET that it's better but in real life, especially in a 3 stone setting will it be significant? Thanks

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
No. It's very slight.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results