shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me choose: 2 different 2+ carat Oval Diamonds

amahylis

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a diamond for my lovely girlfriend of many years.

I want to choose between the below two diamonds (please ignore that one is out of stock, I am in contact with the seller).

http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-8045899-2.09-carat-Oval-diamond-H-color-VS2-Clarity.aspx?sku=8045899&utm_source=pricescope.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com

http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-8171042-2.54-carat-Oval-diamond-H-color-VS2-Clarity.aspx?sku=8171042&utm_source=pricescope.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com

My thinking is that the 2.09 carat diamond is a steal given the size of the table? How else should I be thinking about this though (aside from the tradeoff of carat vs. price)?

Thanks,
Ben

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ben,
Welcome to PS!

You can not buy fancy cuts (which are anything but rounds) by the numbers, or certs. You need images and aset images.
The reason being
- could have big bow-tie (large dark area that goes through center)
- could have unattractive faceting pattern with lots of leakage (large areas of mush)
- could have shoulders on the stone

I couldnt even find the GIA report on the page to look at the inclusion map.

So, here is where you need to go to move forward.
-Ask for images of the 2.09
-Ask for asets images of both stones
-Post all the images so we can have a look

Your point about the table on the 2.09... exactly sure what you mean? A table number by itself means nothing. And contrary to
popular belief a bigger table does not make a stone look bigger if that is what you mean. You'll have to explain.

I'll see what I can find that looks good in your size/specs. Not sure what I'll find.
tyty

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Better yet, shop only at vendors that have photos of the stones like James Allen. Maybe one out of 20 ovals might be a good prospect (that's not exact science but just to help you understand why you have to see a lot of stones to find one). The other option is to have Good Old Gold call in some for you and they will check light return and make you a comparison video.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The entire purpose of faceting a diamond is to reflect light.
How well or how poorly a diamond does this determines how beautiful it is.
How well a diamond performs is determined by the proportions and the faceting. This is why we say cut is king.
No other factor: not color, not clarity has as much of an impact on the appearance of a diamond as its cut. That's why you need images, so you can judge the faceting of the diamond because all that matters is the faceting and the performance of the stone.
By performance we mean: how well it reflects light because this determines how bright the stone is, how much it sparkles, and how lively it is. And how big it looks. A well performing diamond will always look larger than a diamond with compromised performance, even if the compromised stone has actually larger dimensions. With ovals what you need to determine this is images of the stone. Preferrably a video And finally an ASET scope image.

So what is an ASET scope image and why is it important? http://highperformancediamonds.com/education/performance-tutorial/

Basically an ASET tells you how well the diamond you are evaluating reflects light and where the light is coming from. This matters. .

So that's what you need to focus on.

So neither of those is a good deal. There is not enough information for us OR YOU to evaluate those stones. There is NOTHING on a lab report that tells you how a diamond performs or how bright, beautiful and sparkly the stone is.

amahylis

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

This is great advice. Should I just ask B2C jewels to provide me ASET images?

Thank you for the guidance - a humbling education :)

amahylis

Rough_Rock
Hi,
What is good old gold?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ask for images and an ASET image.

As for GOG, they are a brick and mortar jeweler in Long Island and they are good with ovals.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results