shape
carat
color
clarity

Help, Laptop for $1k or under

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/3/2007 9:46:35 PM
Author: Dee*Jay
Hello all -- coming to you live from my new laptop! I am actually sitting in bed typing away. I turned the computer on for the first time earlier today and I panicked slightly because I could not connect to our wireless internet, but the HH (literally) flipped a tiny switch on the computer and VOILA!

This could be a good thing or a bad thing, LOL. Now I REALLY have no incentive to get out of bed in the morning. I used to be *thrilled* by being able to check my e-mail via my Blackberry, but now that I can just reach over, grab the computer off the floor, and connect in bed... well... I might be spending a lot more time here!
3.gif

Skippy, how is yours? Are you finding new and fun things to do with it? It's interesting BTW that you have the 15' screen because screen size was the one thing I agonized over the most in the selection process. This one only has a 13' screen and although I *notice* a difference from our 19' desktop monitor I can't say that it really bothers me. I wonder how it will be as time goes on.

Anyway, I'm gladd I had a shopping buddy in this whole adventure. I am a bit afraid of technology so this made it more fun and less scary, ha ha.

Penn, I'll be curious to see what you get. Skippy showed the Consumer Reports recommendations a few posts back so that might be helpful to you. Keep us posted!
Yay DeeJay, you are too cute w/your typing from the comfort of your bed. hehee Just have hubby bring you dinner there too! I bet he would. Glad you are enjoying your lappy and your cool new bag!
3.gif
I need the 15.4 screen because I am in denial about needing glasses even though I have a pair.

I am totally loving my new laptop. Hubby set it up and did all kinds of stuff to it. I thought I would hate vista but I like it. I am curious what Penn gets also! Hubby almost had a heart attack because a costco flyer came out with a white lid laptop and I so needed one. He told me it didn't have as much disk memory so then I decided to stick w/this one but the white would have been pretty! I think those computer guys need to start thinking about what women like too (make them pretty)!!!
2.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL on the white one! Some guy at Office Depot tried to sell me a discontinued Visio earlier this week--it's sole best qualification being that it was PINK (keyboard and all). I could just imagine the look on the HH's face when I brought home some computer and said, look, honey, I bought it because it is PINK. He'd have killed me (and rightfully so!).

The one thing about this one that I didn't think about (and really it doesn't even matter) is that the keyboard and everything around it is kind of a matt silver finish. For some reason it didn't occur to me that it wouldn't be black or dark grey like most of the other ones I looked at, but when I first opened it I was like, um, what's this?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/3/2007 10:04:25 PM
Author: Dee*Jay
LOL on the white one! Some guy at Office Depot tried to sell me a discontinued Visio earlier this week--it's sole best qualification being that it was PINK (keyboard an all). I could just imagine the look on the HH's face when I brought home some computer and said, look, honey, I bought it because it is PINK. He'd have killed me (and rightfully so!).

The one thing about this one that I didn't think about (and really it doesn't even matter) is that the keyboard and everything around it is kind of a matt silver finish. For some reason it didn't occur to me that it wouldn't be black or dark grey like most of the other ones I looked at, but when I first opened it I was like, um, what's this?
DeeJay, you almost had me spit out my diet sprite while reading about the pink lappy.
lol.gif

Well the computers and blackberry's are suppose to update themselves to the correct time tomorrow. I guess we will find out.
20.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Penn, did you order a computer? Can''t wait to see what you get!

And yes, it appears that both my crackberry and my computer updated the time.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I just found out this random goofy thing... I was sitting at the breakfast bar using my computer and the HH put something in the microwave and suddenly my connection didn''t work any more. I guess when the wireless connection goes up against the microwave the microwave wins, LOL!

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Skippy: I also vote apple.Go to a shop and give it them a try.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/5/2007 4:39:07 PM
Author: scarleta
Skippy: I also vote apple.Go to a shop and give it them a try.
Scarleta Thanks! I actually bought an HP Pavilion dv6000 last weekend. It is good to see you btw
9.gif

DeeJay, that is crazy about the microwave. Good thing hubby is a gourmet cook instead of microwave junky or you wouldn't be able to connect. hehe

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Skippy: congratulations and all the best with your new HP.I think their support is great..

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
I''m terribly indecisive! So, at this point I''ve narrowed it down to the HP dv6500z and the HP txt1000z. One is a conventional laptop and one is a tablet PC. I''m in love with the tablet, but it doesn''t look like HP sales a 12 cell battery and since I go to school, I need at least 2 batteries.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Penn, the thing that I noticed about the tablets is that the screen is smaller than a non-tablet of the same case size because of the black rim around it. The rim I guess is some sort of "receptor" (?) which allows the input of the screen being touched to translate properly (I'm sure none of this is making sense, LOL!). So, if screen size is a factor for you check out a tablet next to a non-tablet and see what you think. I ended up with the Toshiba 13" screen in the same size casing as the HP 12 because of the "rim."

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
It took me forever, but I ended up with a new HP desktop.

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats on the new computer...and impending fatherhood, Penn.

I have twin newborn nephews and love taking care of them. You have much joy ahead of you.

Penn, I put room photos on the DVD thread for you. Would you take a peek and tell me what you think about wall decor?

I got the rug and it looks really nice. I''m actually starting to like the room.

The "designer" who delivered the rug said to stay transitional in the artwork.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/24/2007 2:25:17 AM
Author: pennquaker09
It took me forever, but I ended up with a new HP desktop.
congrats
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results