shape
carat
color
clarity

Help, Laptop for $1k or under

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sarahthewarrior

Shiny_Rock
I have a Sony VAIO, and I love it. For those of you out there advising so much against it, what''s the problem with them? You can''t really just say "don''t get one" without giving a reason. My model was the most recommended laptop by Consumer Reports when I bought it (after the Macs, which I personally can''t stand and think are entirely overpriced). All VAIOs are certainly not created equal, however--like HPs, there is also a more "economy" line that''s not as good. VAIOs actually have a smaller number of repairs than other brands.

Whatever you end up getting, Skippy, I highly recommend getting it at Costco. You just can''t beat the extra warranty and free technical support they offer. I''ve never had to use the tech support, but it''s nice to know it''s always there. And they certainly have the best price. Good luck!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/25/2007 4:22:30 PM
Author: Dee*Jay
Well this thread has become even MORE timely since as of this morning my entire area is experiencing an AT&T internet service outage. If I had a laptop with wireless access at least I could have gone to Caribou; instead I had to trot over to one of my company''s offices to run a 2 minute search for someone, but it had to be done. Argh! I already told the HH that we''re going to Costco TONIGHT to get a computer because I can''t take the chance of this happening again. I don''t know WHAT I''m getting, but I''m walking out of there with SOMTHING.
oh, great Dee! I can''t wait to hear what you get!!! I am sorry about the outage though.

Sarah, thank you! Costco is awesome that they offer the tech support free. They had HP''s and one Sony. I might look over consumer reports as you recommend; thanks!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/25/2007 6:51:46 PM
Author: Skippy123

Well this thread has become even MORE timely since as of this morning my entire area is experiencing an AT&T internet service outage. If I had a laptop with wireless access at least I could have gone to Caribou; instead I had to trot over to one of my company''s offices to run a 2 minute search for someone, but it had to be done. Argh! I already told the HH that we''re going to Costco TONIGHT to get a computer because I can''t take the chance of this happening again. I don''t know WHAT I''m getting, but I''m walking out of there with SOMTHING.
oh, great Dee! I can''t wait to hear what you get!!! I am sorry about the outage though.

Sarah, thank you! Costco is awesome that they offer the tech support free. They had HP''s and one Sony. I might look over consumer reports as you recommend; thanks!

Well dammit! The HH got caught in traffic on the way home and now there''s not enough time to get to Costco tonight. This weekend though for sure. The good news is at least my internet is up and running again.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/25/2007 7:12:48 PM

Date: 10/25/2007 6:51:46 PM

Well this thread has become even MORE timely since as of this morning my entire area is experiencing an AT&T internet service outage. If I had a laptop with wireless access at least I could have gone to Caribou; instead I had to trot over to one of my company's offices to run a 2 minute search for someone, but it had to be done. Argh! I already told the HH that we're going to Costco TONIGHT to get a computer because I can't take the chance of this happening again. I don't know WHAT I'm getting, but I'm walking out of there with SOMTHING.
oh, great Dee! I can't wait to hear what you get!!! I am sorry about the outage though.

Sarah, thank you! Costco is awesome that they offer the tech support free. They had HP's and one Sony. I might look over consumer reports as you recommend; thanks!

Well dammit! The HH got caught in traffic on the way home and now there's not enough time to get to Costco tonight. This weekend though for sure. The good news is at least my internet is up and running again.
Oh dang. I am glad your internet is up and running again. Heee heee I will be thinking of you this weekend because, we will be picking out my laptop too!!!

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Do live in the US? I''m not sure if anyone else has recommended this... but you should wait until Black Friday (day after thanksgiving) to shop for one. My fiance and I both got different laptops, his was an HP for about $350 and mine was a toshiba for about $250. Both are great computers (Fi works on computers for a living while he''s getting his 2nd bachelors so he knows computers and loves his) and the prices we paid were discounted about 75% from regular retail because of the AMAZING sales they have on Black Friday. However.... we did have to kinda camp-out to get them because most stores only offer a certain amount at that low price. We got ours from Best Buy... just a thought!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about Gateway?

We just went to Costco and then to Best Buy to compare some laptops and I really like one of the Gateways but the HH wants to do some research. Also, I am in love with the small (12" screen) ones but I don''t know if I''m going to get one of those because they are so much more $.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/27/2007 1:02:41 PM
What about Gateway?

We just went to Costco and then to Best Buy to compare some laptops and I really like one of the Gateways but the HH wants to do some research. Also, I am in love with the small (12' screen) ones but I don't know if I'm going to get one of those because they are so much more $.
DeeJay, I went ahead and bought consumer reports and I will list the favorites and see if that helps.
For reliability and repairs. Best to worst goes Lenovo, Compaq, sony, hp, gateway and then apple (worst).
Apple, Lenovo and Dell have best tech support and worst gateway and compaq. Dee they like the Toshiba 13 inch for slim and light models. Hope that helps. Apple, Dell, Sony and Toshiba were liked in the workhorse and budget models. I am still confused. Oh well. My hubby and I are headed to Costco tomorrow; I was ready to buy something last night but then said let's wait till tomorrow.
40.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/26/2007 1:33:36 PM
Author: oobiecoo
Do live in the US? I''m not sure if anyone else has recommended this... but you should wait until Black Friday (day after thanksgiving) to shop for one. My fiance and I both got different laptops, his was an HP for about $350 and mine was a toshiba for about $250. Both are great computers (Fi works on computers for a living while he''s getting his 2nd bachelors so he knows computers and loves his) and the prices we paid were discounted about 75% from regular retail because of the AMAZING sales they have on Black Friday. However.... we did have to kinda camp-out to get them because most stores only offer a certain amount at that low price. We got ours from Best Buy... just a thought!
Sounds good but I can''t wait till Nov; thanks though.
9.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
This weekend hubby and I went and bought an HP Pavillion dv6653cl. It is pretty nice so far; I don't like all the weight being placed it the back of the computer. Everything else is great. I told hubby to save the receipt but I love the screen and everything else. Thanks for all your help!!!!!

DeeJay, did you get a laptop this weekend too???

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Skippy, the HH had a flash of brilliance just as I was pulling out the Am Ex and reminded me that one of the reasons I was getting this computer was to be able to do this particular program that my real estate firm offers and I had better check with out IT guy before I plunk down a bunch of $$$ only to find out that the laptop won't support it. So, long story short, I did talk to the IT guy this morning and now hopefully the HH will come home with something today. I REALLY want one of the smaller lighter ones but I don't want to pay a lot of $$$ so my guess is we're getting the $699 HP that they had at Costco. I didn't write down the model # but maybe it is even the same one that you got? So, nothing yet, but maybe tonight...

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
this is geeky, but effective, inexpensive and safer than microsoft...the ultimate according to my favorite IT geek at work:

get a basic machine from emachines, toshiba, whatever and download this software FREE: (Dell is actually selling a machine with Ubuntu (linuxmint is based on it and my friend chose to give me the linuxmint CD--have no idea where I put it at the moment--it looks like they have made some improvements on the software and the umbuntu experience)

http://linuxmint.com/download.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Mint

http://www.ubuntu.com/

You''ll get all the software you need for free and no viruses, etc.

Julianna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/27/2007 6:15:24 PM

DeeJay, I went ahead and bought consumer reports and I will list the favorites and see if that helps.
For reliability and repairs. Best to worst goes Lenovo, Compaq, sony, hp, gateway and then apple (worst).
Apple, Lenovo and Dell have best tech support and worst gateway and compaq. Dee they like the Toshiba 13 inch for slim and light models. Hope that helps. Apple, Dell, Sony and Toshiba were liked in the workhorse and budget models. I am still confused. Oh well. My hubby and I are headed to Costco tomorrow; I was ready to buy something last night but then said let''s wait till tomorrow.
40.gif
Lenovo is IBM''s consumer line (ThinkPad being their business line), and hence of course it is the best, reliability-wise.
4.gif
The ThinkPad, which is usually not sold to consumers, is a fantastically reliable laptop (though it''s quite ugly. Hee hee). If I bought a laptop besides a Dell, it''d be a Lenovo. Just to check it out.

Compaq was bought by HP, but has always been a good brand for reliability (I had a Compaq desktop for 10 years and, besides becoming obsolete, ran like a champ til I got an inkling to take it apart for no good reason.) However, their tech support is wretched, whereas Dell''s is shiny and fantastic.
16.gif

To answer sarahtw''s question earlier, I find Sony Vaios to be good for simple multimedia functions (ie. playing and burning CDs) but not for anything else. It''s like a laptop-extension of your stereo. And once they''re down, they are down for good. Regardless of their fairly high reliability rating via Consumer Reports, I have never seen a Vaio survive its first two years. The two Vaios I''ve encountered were DOA, one of a motherboard crash of sorts, and one that looped the initial boot screen. I couldn''t even get into the BIOS, it was ridiculous. SOooooo...that''s where I get my bias. I do like to mess around with laptops a little and have formed opinions on every brand.
1.gif

Julianna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/29/2007 8:25:28 PM
Author: lawmax
this is geeky, but effective, inexpensive and safer than microsoft...the ultimate according to my favorite IT geek at work:

get a basic machine from emachines, toshiba, whatever and download this software FREE: (Dell is actually selling a machine with Ubuntu (linuxmint is based on it and my friend chose to give me the linuxmint CD--have no idea where I put it at the moment--it looks like they have made some improvements on the software and the umbuntu experience)

http://linuxmint.com/download.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Mint

http://www.ubuntu.com/

You'll get all the software you need for free and no viruses, etc.
Oooo tasty Linux. I love Linux but it might not be user-friendly? I've always used Red Hat or Fedora and haven't found them to be useful to the average consumer. Though it is indeed free.
4.gif
I'll have to check out this Ubuntu of which you speak.

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Check this out!

http://www.ubuntu.com/products/WhatIsUbuntu/desktopedition

Ubuntu Desktop Edition

With Ubuntu Desktop Edition you can surf the web, read email, create documents and spreadsheets, edit images and much more. Ubuntu has a fast and easy graphical installer right on the Desktop CD. On a typical computer the installation should take you less than 25 minutes.

Desktop simplicity

When you start your system for the first time you''ll see a desktop that is clean and tidy, no desktop icons, and a default theme that is easy on the eye.

Ubuntu ''Just Works''

We''ve done all the hard work for you. Once Ubuntu is installed, all the basics are in place so that your system will be immediately usable.
A complete office productivity suite

OpenOffice contains a user interface and feature set that is similar to other office suites, and includes all the key desktop applications you need, such as:

Word processor - for anything from writing a quick letter to producing an entire book. More »

Spreadsheet - a tool to calculate, analyse, and present your data in numerical reports or charts. More »

Presentation - an easy, and powerful tool for creating effective multimedia presentations. More »
Edit and share files in other formats

Easily open, edit and share files with your friends that have Microsoft Office, Word Perfect, KOffice or StarOffice.
Quick and easy updates

The task bar contains an update area where we''ll notify you when there are updates available for your system, from simple security fixes to a complete version upgrade. The update facility enables you to keep your system up-to-date with just a few clicks of your mouse.
A vast library of free software

Need more software? Simply choose from thousands of software packages in the Ubuntu catalogue, all available to download and install at the click of a button. And it''s all completely free!
Help and support

You''ll be able to find help using the desktop browser or online. If you have a question about using Ubuntu, you can bet someone else has already asked it. Our community has developed a range of documentation that may contain the answer to your question, or give you ideas about where to look.

This is also where you''ll get access to free support from the Ubuntu community in the chat and mailing lists in many languages. Alternatively, you can purchase professional support from the Canonical Global Support Services Team, or local providers.
Ubuntu in your local language

Ubuntu aims to be usable by as many people as possible, which is why we include the very best localisation and accessibility infrastructure that the free software community has to offer.

More Features »

You can download Ubuntu, or request a free CD from Canonical.
System Requirements

Ubuntu is available for PC, 64-Bit and Mac architectures. At least 256 MB of RAM is required to run the desktop install CD. Install requires at least 4 GB of disk space.

Julianna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/29/2007 8:28:25 PM
Author: lawmax
Check this out!

http://www.ubuntu.com/products/WhatIsUbuntu/desktopedition

Ubuntu Desktop Edition
Totally checking this out at my next free moment.
10.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK... I have spent WAY too much time at computer stores today and I think I am going to order the Toshiba U305-S7448 to the tune of $899. Because it is not a tablet (i.e., you don't have the thicker black edge around the screen like the HPs), even thoug the screen is 13.3 the total case size is no bigger than the 12.1 sized computers, and it only weights 4.54 pounds.

Now my next mission is a cute laptop tote. New thread coming up!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sklppy, I forgot to ask -- how's your new laptop doing? Now that you've had a little time to play with it, do you love it?!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2007 10:26:25 PM
OK... I have spent WAY too much time at computer stores today and I think I am going to order the Toshiba U305-S7448 to the tune of $899. Because it is not a tablet (i.e., you don''t have the thicker black edge around the screen like the HPs), even thoug the screen is 13.3 the total case size is no bigger than the 12.1 sized computers, and it only weights 4.54 pounds.

Now my next mission is a cute laptop tote. New thread coming up!
Yay!!!! Heheee I am glad we are laptop shoppers together. It made it more fun getting my lappy. I do love!!! I think it is great
9.gif
Plus I love that my sweet hubby orgainzed my computer with pictures and things he thought I would need and deleted other things I wouldn''t need. Thanks for asking; when does it get here?!?!

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
I''m new and ironically, I''m in the market for a new computer also. I have a Gateway laptop that''s giving me all kinds of grief. In the past, I had HP and Dell desktops and they both had longer lives than this thing. It''s barely a year old and the power jack is going out again.

I''m in graduate school getting my masters to teach so I have to have a computer. My partner is a doctor and he won''t let me touch his mac so I suppose that means something?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pennquaker, when I was talking about laptop options with my IT guy I mentioned that I had seen a Gateway at Best Buy that was going to be on sale the following week. That was the only brand he advised me NOT to get--and I'm certainly not going to argue with the IT guy, LOL.

My Toshiba is supposed to arrive today and I'm so excited!

Skippy, BTW I just realized I never thanked you for posting the info from Consumer Reports. That was very nice of you and I appreciate it!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/2/2007 5:31:38 AM
Author: pennquaker09
I'm new and ironically, I'm in the market for a new computer also. I have a Gateway laptop that's giving me all kinds of grief. In the past, I had HP and Dell desktops and they both had longer lives than this thing. It's barely a year old and the power jack is going out again.

I'm in graduate school getting my masters to teach so I have to have a computer. My partner is a doctor and he won't let me touch his mac so I suppose that means something?
Go up to the top and look at post number 7; it is mean saying what consumer reports liked for reliability. HP and Dell are next to each other on the list even though I did not mention Dell. Also, on page 1 chargergrl gave this link Anyway, check out this site: http://www.notebookreview.com/ . Hope that helps. What is your budget? I spent $1000 and have the HP Pavilion dv6653cl and think it is great; the only thing I don't like it does not lock closed like my dell. I am so sorry about your Gateway; that is no fun!

DeeJay, I am glad you liked the CR info; CR really liked the Dells and Toshibas. You are welcome.
1.gif

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
DeeJay & Skippy- congrats on the new laptops! I''m still without one. As I originally mentioned, I''m holding out for a deal, but will certainly buy one by the end of the month. Getting another Dell is still the front-runner, but I''ll he interested to see how yours work out. I''ll be asking in a couple of weeks!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Woo hoo -- it''s here!!!

I have to go off and do something for one of my clients for about 3 hours but when I get back I''ll be playing with my new toy!

misysu2

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/20/2007 12:21:50 AM
Author: asscher_girl
I also had a ton of problems with my Sony Viao. I now have a Dell Inspiron 640m and I love it. Plus it was under $700! If you check out Dell, compare their prices w/ their regular site and their ''business'' site. I went through business and it was about $ 50 or 75 cheaper.

My friend owns a computer company and builds computers, and he has stressed to me that "business" grade computers have significantly higher quality components in them. Keep that in mind!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/2/2007 12:58:53 PM
Woo hoo -- it''s here!!!

I have to go off and do something for one of my clients for about 3 hours but when I get back I''ll be playing with my new toy!
runaround1.gif
Yay!!!

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t have a budget, I just want a really good computer. I want a notebook for school, but I also like the HP media center PCs. I think we need a desktop as a backup.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/3/2007 12:18:34 AM
I don''t have a budget, I just want a really good computer. I want a notebook for school, but I also like the HP media center PCs. I think we need a desktop as a backup.
Penn, cr likes the 15 inch promac for a workhorse laptop. I played with it but I didn''t think it was that fast; I was ready to buy a mac after all the rave reviews and then checked them out. I would go play with them and see which one you like best. How big of a screen do you want?

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
I have a 15" screen now, so I would be more than happy with that. I think I want an HP or a Toshiba. I know that Toshiba makes a laptop specifically for Vista. I''ve got so much going on I need to find a car, my parents are coming in a week, the list goes on and on . . . .

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/3/2007 6:53:21 PM
I have a 15'' screen now, so I would be more than happy with that. I think I want an HP or a Toshiba. I know that Toshiba makes a laptop specifically for Vista. I''ve got so much going on I need to find a car, my parents are coming in a week, the list goes on and on . . . .
I am totally loveing my HP and it is a 15.4'' screen! Happy Shopping
9.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello all -- coming to you live from my new laptop! I am actually sitting in bed typing away. I turned the computer on for the first time earlier today and I panicked slightly because I could not connect to our wireless internet, but the HH (literally) flipped a tiny switch on the computer and VOILA!

This could be a good thing or a bad thing, LOL. Now I REALLY have no incentive to get out of bed in the morning. I used to be *thrilled* by being able to check my e-mail via my Blackberry, but now that I can just reach over, grab the computer off the floor, and connect in bed... well... I might be spending a lot more time here!
3.gif

Skippy, how is yours? Are you finding new and fun things to do with it? It''s interesting BTW that you have the 15" screen because screen size was the one thing I agonized over the most in the selection process. This one only has a 13" screen and although I *notice* a difference from our 19" desktop monitor I can''t say that it really bothers me. I wonder how it will be as time goes on.

Anyway, I''m gladd I had a shopping buddy in this whole adventure. I am a bit afraid of technology so this made it more fun and less scary, ha ha.

Penn, I''ll be curious to see what you get. Skippy showed the Consumer Reports recommendations a few posts back so that might be helpful to you. Keep us posted!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results